eliminator

Discontinuation Speculation

Anyone know about the Level Crossing? I see it has been out of stock for a while now on the LEGO website and I have tried a few local retailers who I know have had them in but they have all sold out. I spoke to one today who said that they have not had any in on the last couple of orders although they have been trying to get them.

Which set #? I'm showing many sites still have the recent one in stock.

Lego S@H now shows the Emerald Night as available to order, with delivery approximately 30 days.

Get it while you can!!!

Locutis

Edited by Locutis

Lego S@H now shows the Emerald Night as available to order, with delivery approximately 30 days.

Get it while you can!!!

Locutis

And now it's back to sold out. Who knows where they are going with this...

*sigh* ...and people like that are exactly what ruin everything, which is why we can't have nice things.

Now the only people who end up with these beautiful trains are those who actively seek them out and can afford the profiteering, usually grown adults, and not the poor kid browsing the Lego website or wandering around the Lego stores. Such a shame.

eBay was ruined for me in much the same way - anything goes for cheap it gets bought and re-listed by the buyer, sometimes before they've even received it yet. Stops actual buyers for ever being able to get something cheap, and just makes me sad.

Everyone's just out to make a quick buck. :(

Yes, what an awful state of affairs...the ONLY people who will end up with the Emerald Night are those who actively seek them out and pay secondary market prices...I guess that is other than anyone who actually took the time to actively seek out the set in the 2+ years it has been available from numerous retailers at MSRP. That "poor kid" wandering through the Lego website or store has had plenty of opportunities to buy this set at MSRP.

Yes, what an awful state of affairs...the ONLY people who will end up with the Emerald Night are those who actively seek them out and pay secondary market prices...I guess that is other than anyone who actually took the time to actively seek out the set in the 2+ years it has been available from numerous retailers at MSRP. That "poor kid" wandering through the Lego website or store has had plenty of opportunities to buy this set at MSRP.

Sort of like Wayne Gretzky rookie hockey cards. Worth $1000's because people ruined it and hoarded them. My 8 year old son loves hockey and he should be given the opportunity to buy a card at the issue price (a few cents). :wink:

This capitalistic market sucks! *huh*

Let me explain it this way: I discovered last year that I could make a bit of money and serve the people within my city by stocking sets that would/did become sold out at Lego S@H. Last Christmas I sold a huge number of sets to people at a mark-up to account for my costs and to make a bit of money, and people were GLAD to pay it and get these sold-out items because they had to have them for Christmas for their children.

If I hadn't purchased the sets to make money (and I bought them online, not locally, so don't go there), there wouldn't have been any available to these people in my city. I made Christmas happen for some of these people.

After Christmas I sold some more, because some kids got money for Christmas, and wanted some Lego sets. It's a lot easier for a kid with cash to haul his/her parent across town to my house and buy Lego than it is to find and order online from who-knows-what kind of seller that may not even ship the product. Obviously there's my time involved with ordering, paying in advance for, and dealing with people. I shouldn't be forced to sell for MSRP solely because some kid should be paying MSRP. I agree with you, this philosophy stinks.

Locutis

everyone had a chance to purchase the sets during the whole time it was for sale. Every set if you think about it has a limited amount produced, some more than others depending on production. Thus when sold out the remaining ones are all that are left out on the market forever. as time goes by they get harder and harder to find and the demand is much greater than the supply making the prices go up and up. As with any item that is popular/collected. You can't blame resellers as anyone could have done what they do buy a set while you can is probably the best advice anyone has ever said because then you won't have to worry about it when they are discontinued.

The lifespan of a set is based on the profits and the cost of maintaining their license. Usually, I see Lego's own Kingdoms or Hero Factory sets stay on longer because they're cheaper to produce as they do not have the license included in the cost. With the Emerald Night on the shelves for already more than 3 years, I see why no existing fan shouldn't have gotten it by now. The market for a set after a set has been discontinued is probably new fans who missed their opportunity to buy it while Lego had them on the shelves.

The lifespan of a set is based on the profits and the cost of maintaining their license. Usually, I see Lego's own Kingdoms or Hero Factory sets stay on longer because they're cheaper to produce as they do not have the license included in the cost. With the Emerald Night on the shelves for already more than 3 years, I see why no existing fan shouldn't have gotten it by now. The market for a set after a set has been discontinued is probably new fans who missed their opportunity to buy it while Lego had them on the shelves.

... which is exactly why people buying them to resell them makes a lot of sense. If all of the sets sold went only to people who collect/build them, then there would be zero available to the person who is just getting back into Lego. Some people would prefer not to pay more than MSRP, but if someone really wants it, they will pay as much as they are willing to. This is what sets the price.

I don't see what all the fuss is about with regards to sets at higher than MSRP after they are sold-out. Quite honestly, I bought some sets at 2-3x MSRP just to get them. I have no real problem with that.

What really makes me mad, is when I buy something, and only a few weeks later, it's put on sale at 1/3 or 1/2 what I just paid for it. That makes me more mad than buying something at double MSRP.

Locutis

Here in the Netherlands prices from the 10194 EN go up steady... now reaching 150 euro's... I bought my EN sets for 79 euro's so prices almost doubled...

I'm considering to buy a few extra Maersk trains.. but on the other hand... i'm a builder, not a collecter... I shouldn't earn money with buying and selling Lego-sets, i already earn money on a daily basis with my job... so... no, i'm not buying extra 10219 Maersk sets.. keep them for the people who haven't one yet... ! :classic:

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Just for fun, a post 9v product chart; bars indicate product availability (using U.S. dates from Brickset).

Green: City Trains

Red: Track

Blue: Structures

Purple: Creator Engines

Yellow: Theme/Specialty Trains

Orange: Narrow Gauge Sets

Edited by MojoLego

A problem I have is that yes, you had three years to buy the EN, and that was plenty of time. However, I just came out of my dark ages at the end of November, and by the time I realized I wanted to add a train to my quickly-growing modular city, the EN was discontinued. :sad:

So I added the Maersk, and that's fine - it serves a different purpose. And hey, you know what? Unless LEGO goes out of business, I'm pretty sure they'll have another train! :sweet:

Just for fun, a post 9v product chart; bars indicate product availability (using U.S. dates from Brickset).

Interesting data ML. Thanks for taking the time to do this and sharing the results.

As a train fan, I am glad that I was able to get an Emerald Night, I much prefer it to the Maresk. (mostly because there is no way I can get enough Maresk blue to do anything useful with the color in a MOC but the dark green and black of the EN is much easier to make use of)

As a train fan, I am glad that I was able to get an Emerald Night, I much prefer it to the Maresk.

The Emerald was/still is a "must buy" for any LEGO Train fan. I have mine prominently displayed on a series of train shelves. However, the Maersk is just a few shelves above and I consider it a very special train as well.

The Emerald Night is indeed such a beautiful and detailed train! (I don't own the Maersk btw, but the Emerald Night looks more pretty to me).

I just made a video of mine, it's with PF, have a look:

(I need to buy switching tracks...)

I've got an Emerald Night and i'm glad i bought it but something i still wonder about is why did Lego put one passenger car in the set, now it looks like a disabled train (i have nothing against disabled ppl etc etc)

I've got an Emerald Night and i'm glad i bought it but something i still wonder about is why did Lego put one passenger car in the set, now it looks like a disabled train (i have nothing against disabled ppl etc etc)

I've always seen the fact that there was only one car as a challenge to build new and different cars to go with it. I admit it is a big challenge what with the windows in a rare color. Tim Gould came up with a very nice design that got around that problem Tim's car.

I got the Emerald Night a few months after it came out on a hunch. I haven't regretted it but I still have to rise to the challenge of the additional cars...

Dan-147

I seem to recall that Jamie Berard himself said (possibly on here, possibly in an interview) that with hindsight only including one carriage was "probably a mistake." Then again he would have been working towards a set price point and including another carriage may well have ended up with an engine significantly less desirable than the Emerald Night. You always had the option of buying a few or MOCing more carriages (and stickers for other carriages were very helpfully included too)

I seem to recall that Jamie Berard himself said (possibly on here, possibly in an interview) that with hindsight only including one carriage was "probably a mistake." Then again he would have been working towards a set price point and including another carriage may well have ended up with an engine significantly less desirable than the Emerald Night. You always had the option of buying a few or MOCing more carriages (and stickers for other carriages were very helpfully included too)

I simply bought two sets and sold from one set the engine... so now i haven one EN with two carriages, with the second carriage in the same colours for a very reasonable price....

Greetz, LegoSjaak

true yes you can buy a second and based off what a carriage would cost would be probably $40 if it was released separately by TLG. Therefore you would have to sell the engine and tender for about $60. Something that it will get easily. :wink: