jonnyboyca

[MOC] [WIP] Yavin IV

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Some may remember crabboy329's Yavin base MOC

The following realization of it is built using the assistance of his reverse engineered LDD and Brickdoctor's x-wing reverse engineered LDD.

This is the set as pictured in the Lego Visual Dictionary

6691623369_9f7bd87ef1_b.jpg

This is the current state.

Anyone interested in getting this actually released here is a link to Lego Cuusoo.

Full View

6793310593_02ab1f9fa6_b.jpg

6793311309_d4402012e1_b.jpg

6793310751_d88cccb8fc_b.jpg

6793312195_dd45f22470_b.jpg

6793311199_132c877344_b.jpg

6793308711_69931ccd1f_b.jpg

6793308321_67a56e64b0_b.jpg

Medal Ceremony

6793309405_1cefb9b244_b.jpg

6793310887_1f8fa994ca_b.jpg

War Room

(w/ General Jan Dodonna and Princess Leia)

(featuring Praiter Yed's Death Star Approaching Screen and repurposed Hoth Echo Base stickers) 5938239366_7d4774fd01_m.jpg

6793311853_4f674fa71a_b.jpg

Rebel Briefing Room

(w/ Wedge Antilles [Red 2], Jon "Dutch" Vander [Gold Leader], and Jek Porkins [Red 6])

(featuring my own Death Star Briefing Exhaust Port Presentation and repurposed Hoth Echo Base stickers) 6785926727_5dcb390252.jpg

6793307011_1cbca9644e_b.jpg

Laser Cannon Emplacement

6793310059_dd892b0db0_b.jpg

6793310211_7d48058617_b.jpg

Medal Ceremony Close-ups

6793309013_612fb8aa0c_b.jpg

6793308173_cb3fbdf395_b.jpg

6793306245_c79c0bbede_b.jpg

6793303957_bb125fc7cc_b.jpg

Hangar

(featuring custom flesh Biggs Darklighter [Red 3] and Luke Skywalker [Red 5], as well as flesh Rebel Technician and flesh personnel carrier driver and R5-D8)

6793309869_e7203c79bc_b.jpg

6793305947_2a51e34b09_b.jpg

6793305399_c5c2664e80_b.jpg

6793307597_8dfcfe1de2_b.jpg

6793304759_32da66950d_b.jpg

Hallway

(featuring A New Hope Luke and Han Solo and R5-F7)

6793306867_3490ff45ac_b.jpg

Edited by KielDaMan
Indexed

Hello, jonnyboyca! I had no idea you had been lurking on Eurobricks. Glad that you've finally made your first post.

I blogged your creation yesterday after seeing it on Brickshelf. An impressive feat! :thumbup:

I recently built a version of the medal ceremony scene based on the sketch model in the visual dictionary and also provided crabboy329 with some reference pics when he was doing the LDD version. So, I'm personally very happy to see that somebody has finally built this in real bricks :thumbup: .

You say this is a WIP but I'm struggling to find what's missing. I'll be interested to see the other side (are you building the 'War Room' like crabboy329 did?).

Good recreation in real bricks jonnyboyca :thumbup: . Nice to finnaly see this in real brick form. I want to see the final pics with all figs.

I recently built a version of the medal ceremony scene based on the sketch model in the visual dictionary and also provided crabboy329 with some reference pics when he was doing the LDD version. So, I'm personally very happy to see that somebody has finally built this in real bricks :thumbup: .

You say this is a WIP but I'm struggling to find what's missing. I'll be interested to see the other side (are you building the 'War Room' like crabboy329 did?).

He wants to get the figs from the 2012 X-wing and Y-wing to finish the scene. Apart from that it look pritty finished.

I really like this - It looks just like you would expect to see in a Yavin IV playset. I would love to see LEGO come out with something like this.

Hello, jonnyboyca! I had no idea you had been lurking on Eurobricks. Glad that you've finally made your first post.

I blogged your creation yesterday after seeing it on Brickshelf. An impressive feat! :thumbup:

Thanks, I have been lurking around Eurobricks for a year or two now since the end of my dark age :D I'm not usually one post things but I thought others might be interested in this. I actually completed it to the pictured point in the middle of December but have been busy since then and waiting on the 2012 releases to finish it. Hope to have some more pictures up when it reaches that point plus something of a review.

I must admit it's actually my favourite set now, after the death star of course.

It is really cool to see it blogged :P, even before I got a chance to post it here. Actually, would have posted earlier but I was tripped up by not having the ability to embed images or urls yet.

Hi, Praiter Yed. I appreciate both crabboy329's and your work that helped make this possible, I wouldn't have attempted it without the references and LDD file assistance.

I just looked at your Flikr/Brickshelf pictures and wouldn't mind a bit of advice. Two of the remaining minifigs I would like to complete are the Personnel Carrier driver and convert Biggs Darklighter to a fleshy. For an initial attempt I was going to just use Captain Antilles and change Biggs face to the simple orange goggle fleshy. I was just wondering your recommendations, my main problem is that that the normal orange goggle flesh face doesn't have Biggs moustache and I see yours are customs.

In many senses it is complete and matches the LDD completely in all but the remaining missing minifigs (2012 Celebration Leia, personnel carrier driver, 2012 Jek Porkins, 2012 gold leader(Dutch Vander), flesh Biggs) and a sticker for the death star in prep room. The war room is complete on the other side and I'll try to get some better pictures when I have time and better lighting.

Very nice MOC! I can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks! :classic: I will try to do a much better job of pictures when I get it completed. I've never done this before. It is my first time having to take pictures for posting and I'm just realizing how inadequate my lighting is.

Good recreation in real bricks jonnyboyca :thumbup: . Nice to finnaly see this in real brick form. I want to see the final pics with all figs.

He wants to get the figs from the 2012 X-wing and Y-wing to finish the scene. Apart from that it look pritty finished.

Thank you very much :blush:

You are correct those are mostly what I am waiting on, although I am trying to get a sticker of the death star to add in. As well, I am having the personnel carrier driver and Biggs Darklighter delivered from Bricklink. Otherwise it is essentially finished.

I do have to mention that the both the facades of the temple and the x-wing are rather flimsy. The rest is completely solid. The facade is not too bad as it is fine as long as it is not disturbed once complete. However, the current design of x-wing wings and engine round parts (don't know their name) fall off too easily it is essentially unswoopable or even touchable. Hopefully, I will report on this more clearly in a review of the finished product. Those are about the only negatives of the set. It would be nice to have a larger x-wing but the current one barely fits in the hangar as it is.

I really like this - It looks just like you would expect to see in a Yavin IV playset. I would love to see LEGO come out with something like this.

I agree. After the Death Star, this is possibly the best Star Wars playset, and certainly the best never released :tongue: . Unlike the Home One or Hoth Base the set is both playable and identifiable as the complete actual entity. Add in an improved x-wing and the set is even swooshable.

I have to think the 3 main issues about of why it was not released are as follows.

1. The x-wing is rather flimsy, or at least reverse engineered version I built. It is virtually unswoopable or unplayable without some modifications. Brickdoctor's advent calendar x-wing model appears to be more suitable at first glance http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=62994&st=90 . Although I can't speak to if it is the same size or more sturdy myself.

2. The temple facade, as based on the LDD, can be flimsy and doesn't deal well with pressure on the outer corners. This is mostly ignorable or improvable but can be incredibly frustrating when building it, especially for younger children. This flimsiness is mostly related to the large portion of empty space behind the facade. This is fixable, but likely would come with added cost in the required bricks.

3. Cost. I have yet to total the cost I incurred getting all the parts via Bricklink but I would expect the cost, even for a mass produced version to be rather high. Possibly Tantive area or more to take a shot in the dark. The amount of figs is one of its best traits but would add to the cost. Nevertheless in today's market TLG has shown the willingness to release some impressive collector series and 1**** numbered sets into which I would say this set would fit nicely. I certainly wouldn't hesitate running out to buy it if it was available.

Great to see more Canadians on this site!

Can't wait to see the end product :sweet:

I agree I always find it an interesting side note to see what different country creations come from.

I must admit I've enjoyed the addition of a Lego store locally here in Calgary. However, I have yet to check it in the new year for the sets I want so I can complete this have come in. Once they do come in and I finish it I will make sure to post many more pictures and a thorough review.

Updated with 2 pictures of the War Room, which is now essentially complete. However, at some point I'd like to revisit the sticker for the table and do a better job. Still waiting on availability of the 2012 Y-wing at the moment :wacko: .

Very nice Massassi Temple and Massassi War Room right? I was a big Star Wars CCG fan so locations became more relevant by name. Looks great.

Nice MOC of the Yavin 4 Temple, I really like the control room... Could we possibly see more pictures of the Rebel Brifeing Room, it looks good from what I can tell but I would love some close-ups.

Great Job! :thumbup:

Darn it!! You beat me to it. I just ordered all the pieces for this on Bricklink!!

It is cool to see, thou!! I really do love the base you made!! Great use of sticker!! I need to build the base and X-Wing yet, but, A MIDI "scale" Y-Wing might be a nice addition to the base.

Thanks for sharing, Jamie

Hi, Praiter Yed. I appreciate both crabboy329's and your work that helped make this possible, I wouldn't have attempted it without the references and LDD file assistance.

I have fond memories of the day crabboy329 did his LDD version of this (maybe I should get a life?) I thought it was a brilliant example of how EB reallly works as a 'community'. With live input from Brickdoctor and myself, Crabboy329 produced his LDD file incredibly quickly. All credit really goes to Crabboy329 and Brickdoctor, they did the hard work, I only supplied a couple of pictures and the 'Rebel Cart' was kind of a joke. :wink:

I just looked at your Flikr/Brickshelf pictures and wouldn't mind a bit of advice. Two of the remaining minifigs I would like to complete are the Personnel Carrier driver and convert Biggs Darklighter to a fleshy. For an initial attempt I was going to just use Captain Antilles and change Biggs face to the simple orange goggle fleshy. I was just wondering your recommendations, my main problem is that that the normal orange goggle flesh face doesn't have Biggs moustache and I see yours are customs.

Apologies for the late reply, I haven't been as active in the Star Wars forum lately. I see from your updated pics that you completed the Personnel Carrier Driver - if you decide to add the white visor to his helmet, I noticed a seller in Canada is second cheapest on BL (Lucky you).

As for Biggs, yes mine is a custom and if you decide to go down the customisation route you can find all my hi-res decals in my brickshelf (when brickshelf is back online :hmpf:). If you would rather try a more purest approach I think I would go for this one, you could even remove the stubble by masking the face print with sticky tape then rubbing off the stubble print using a cotton-bud dipped in brasso (there are tips on this and alternative products noted in the MCW forum). Another good alternative would be this one but the colour is flesh instead of light flesh. I appreciate that neither of these have the orange goggle print but imho Biggs' 'tache is more important.

Is that my design for the 'Death Star Approaching Screen' you've used?

5938239366_7d4774fd01_m.jpg

My version was actually designed to fit a 2 x 2 round tile (hi-res file is also in my brickshelf), I have applied a couple already but haven't had chance to shoot them but I can tell you, the result is spot on :sweet: . I think you may be having some problems because you've used a radar dish - a nice flat surface will give better results :wink:

I'm still loving this creation and hope to see more close-ups in future :thumbup:

Edited by Praiter Yed

Looks good. I like the moc you built.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Very nice Massassi Temple and Massassi War Room right? I was a big Star Wars CCG fan so locations became more relevant by name. Looks great.

You are correct :classic: In my opinion is is one of three remaining locations from "A New Hope" which have yet to be suitably recreated by Lego in an official set, which is what made the unreleased set so enticing when they began to release the celebration minifigs for it. The other is the Own Lars moisture farm and a more extensive Mos Eisley Cantina.

Nice MOC of the Yavin 4 Temple, I really like the control room... Could we possibly see more pictures of the Rebel Brifeing Room, it looks good from what I can tell but I would love some close-ups.

Great Job! :thumbup:

I added a close-up picture of the Rebel Briefing Room to the first post. I've been waiting on being able to purchase the Y-wing to complete the set with a Celebration Leia minifig and Dutch Vander. The Tie and X-wing made a short appearance and the disappeared from shelves here so it should be soon. That is how I added Jek Porkins. Then I plan add more pictures, so hopefully that works for now.

Nice job on the sticker though jonnyboyca, and the war room.

Thanks, I'm using some cheap Avery clear sticker paper from and 6+ year old ink jet printer. So the stickers aren't quite clear and the print surface seems to rub off even after a few days before being touched. But I'm happy enough with the results.

Nice job on the sticker though jonnyboyca, and the war room.

Thanks, I'm using some cheap Avery clear sticker paper from and 6+ year old ink jet printer. So the stickers aren't quite clear and the print surface seems to rub off even after a few days before being touched. But I'm happy enough with the results.

Darn it!! You beat me to it. I just ordered all the pieces for this on Bricklink!!

Most of the pieces were surprisingly easy to come by, despite the liberal usage of Tan. I only found the two: the 12x12 Tan Bricks and the 2x2x3 Tan Slopes hard to find. In fact I ended up replacing the previous with the peg version and filing off the pegs. The prior required ordering from Europe to get the pieces in anywhere and the latter required ordering from Europe to get the quantity required. I also had to replace the 2x6x3 Tan Brick with a 2x4x3 and 2x2x3.

It is cool to see, thou!! I really do love the base you made!! Great use of sticker!! I need to build the base and X-Wing yet, but, A MIDI "scale" Y-Wing might be a nice addition to the base.

Thanks for sharing, Jamie

The X-wing is a little flimsy as it stands. I ended up making modifications to the engines and x-wing laser cannons to make them more sturdy. As well I improved the connection of the wings to the hinges. The result is that is now swooshable :classic: .

I have fond memories of the day crabboy329 did his LDD version of this (maybe I should get a life?) I thought it was a brilliant example of how EB really works as a 'community'. With live input from Brickdoctor and myself, Crabboy329 produced his LDD file incredibly quickly. All credit really goes to Crabboy329 and Brickdoctor, they did the hard work, I only supplied a couple of pictures and the 'Rebel Cart' was kind of a joke. :wink:

The result of all the work you've mentioned is quite impressive I agree. The LDD version of the temple itself is impressively accurate given only 2 reference pictures in the book, and so is the x-wing. The x-wing suffers a bit from LDD-itis, in being slightly flimsy, but with a few changes it is now swooshable. As you mention, I haven't actually done much myself and certainly appreciate the efforts of others which made it a breeze to put it together.

Apologies for the late reply, I haven't been as active in the Star Wars forum lately. I see from your updated pics that you completed the Personnel Carrier Driver - if you decide to add the white visor to his helmet, I noticed a seller in Canada is second cheapest on BL (Lucky you).

I am considering the white visor, the open helmet slot results in a look that is off from the one I want. I just need to find something else to get at the same time from that store to justify the purchase. :laugh:

As for Biggs, yes mine is a custom and if you decide to go down the customisation route you can find all my hi-res decals in my brickshelf (when brickshelf is back online :hmpf:). If you would rather try a more purest approach I think I would go for this one, you could even remove the stubble by masking the face print with sticky tape then rubbing off the stubble print using a cotton-bud dipped in brasso (there are tips on this and alternative products noted in the MCW forum). Another good alternative would be this one but the colour is flesh instead of light flesh. I appreciate that neither of these have the orange goggle print but imho Biggs' 'tache is more important.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was hoping. I'll try that out, managed to snag the picture in between brickshelf going up and then down again. Waiting on yellow Biggs and his helmet to arrive in the mail this week. I thought about the purist approach and had considered the light flesh head but then decided it wasn't quite right. I like the option of using Biggs' in both a "flight" mode and with the no visor face to talk to Luke in the hangar.

Is that my design for the 'Death Star Approaching Screen' you've used?

My version was actually designed to fit a 2 x 2 round tile (hi-res file is also in my brickshelf), I have applied a couple already but haven't had chance to shoot them but I can tell you, the result is spot on :sweet: . I think you may be having some problems because you've used a radar dish - a nice flat surface will give better results :wink:

Good eye :wink: . I added in an attribution of that decal to you with the first post as well. I saw it was designed for a 2x2 but that didn't work for size of my table. So I blew it up. I couldn't see a 4x4 white round tile in bricklink so I settled on a 4x4 dish. Didn't want to use square plates. It does the job. In order to get the sticker to work I had to wrap it from the coloured side to the white side. Then I just pinched the extra and sliced it off. The result is pretty near what I hoped. I am using some cheaper printer sticker paper from Staples that isn't quite clear and even after a few days of drying still lets the color rub off :sad: . Waterslide decals are an option to try but I haven't decided yet.

I'm still loving this creation and hope to see more close-ups in future :thumbup:

More pictures to come when I finally get the 2012 y-wing :hmpf: .

As you mention, I haven't actually done much myself and certainly appreciate the efforts of others which made it a breeze to put it together.

:blush: I hope you haven't misunderstood my comment, I didn't mean to take any credit away from what you've done here, actually building the thing and modding it to be more stable - I just wanted to highlight, since you mentioned me, that my input towards Crabboy329's LDD was minimal compared to what he and Brickdoctor did. :wink:

Thanks, that is exactly what I was hoping. I'll try that out, managed to snag the picture in between brickshelf going up and then down again. Waiting on yellow Biggs and his helmet to arrive in the mail this week. I thought about the purist approach and had considered the light flesh head but then decided it wasn't quite right. I like the option of using Biggs' in both a "flight" mode and with the no visor face to talk to Luke in the hangar.

Good eye :wink: . I added in an attribution of that decal to you with the first post as well. I saw it was designed for a 2x2 but that didn't work for size of my table. So I blew it up. I couldn't see a 4x4 white round tile in bricklink so I settled on a 4x4 dish. Didn't want to use square plates. It does the job. In order to get the sticker to work I had to wrap it from the coloured side to the white side. Then I just pinched the extra and sliced it off. The result is pretty near what I hoped. I am using some cheaper printer sticker paper from Staples that isn't quite clear and even after a few days of drying still lets the color rub off :sad: . Waterslide decals are an option to try but I haven't decided yet.

If/when you decide to go down the route of using waterslide decals, I would recommend using transparent decal paper. You can see here that my first attempt using white decal paper was pretty poor and that the transparent paper was much more effective. If you drop me a pm when/if you need it I can supply a Biggs' file with a transparent background for you to use.

You've done a great job on the Rebel Briefing room sticker :thumbup: - I was thinking of making one of them myself - now I could just 'borrow' yours :sweet:

looks good but it seems the x wing needs to be more solid, you could also add a contribution of your own imagination, doesnt need be acurate to the original design

You did a great job on this and it is great to see it from many angles in true brick form. :thumbup: