Rufus

2012 LEGO Architecture News & Discussion

@Aanchir if you like the official set look at this:

Opera House in Sydney by Matija Grguric from Flickr looks much better than Reed's set - if its still him doing architecture

5793926621_8b65dc0462.jpg

5794484318_3ae40d0a26.jpg

5794484724_ca69a01a23.jpg

Looks pretty neat to me, Seems like it might end up being a smaller set as it doesnt look as complicated, but wth these sets you never know how many little bits will get crammed in

I don't like comments like this; they seem to ignore the effort and experience that goes into even sloppy-looking designs.

I'm not particularly fussed on comments like that though I'm glad that you do acknowledge it is a "sloppy-looking design.."

it is noted that you 'praise' the main building of this model but gloss over the obvious flaws in the sails.

it is the sails that make this building unique; it is the sails that give you a tingling feeling as you sail past them on Sydney Harbour.

Surely a Danish company could put a better effort into a model of a wonderful creation by Danish architect Jørn Utzon.

Bricknation, I agree that 'Opera House in Sydney by Matija Grguric' has much more realistic sails; even if they are not perfect.

I'm not particularly fussed on comments like that though I'm glad that you do acknowledge it is a "sloppy-looking design.."

it is noted that you 'praise' the main building of this model but gloss over the obvious flaws in the sails.

it is the sails that make this building unique; it is the sails that give you a tingling feeling as you sail past them on Sydney Harbour.

Surely a Danish company could put a better effort into a model of a wonderful creation by Danish architect Jørn Utzon.

Bricknation, I agree that 'Opera House in Sydney by Matija Grguric' has much more realistic sails; even if they are not perfect.

At this scale, getting the sails better would be difficult, although I acknowledge that Matija Grguric's is better in some ways. In others, though, it strikes me as less impressive-- for instance, the sails of the set are smoother-looking. Also there are just as many gaps in the MOC's design as in the set's, and no windows.

I'm not "glossing over" the problems with the set; I think they've been stated enough times that to repeat them would be redundant. If you insist, the set has lots of gaps. The sails are terribly imprecise. That's about the limit of the major flaws to the set. To some people, these disadvantages outweigh the advantages; for me they don't necessarily. It's at least as good as many of the other Architecture sets in that it's a recognizable stylistic depiction of the building in question.

I'm excited about an Architecture set for Australia. Have there been any other similar sets for Australia?

Nope, this is the first Lego Australia building and probably the last...

The sails on the LEGO model compared to the original is awkward. If I may put my two cents in, this set doesn't do TLG any favors. :sceptic:

Nope, this is the first Lego Australia building and probably the last...

I agree.

Edited by cruiser_elston

I have become a fan, and have become quite inspired by, the Architecture series. I truly enjoy... the simple and the complex... elegance at work with this scale to evoke recognition and showcase the essence of design. I will buy the official LEGO® Sydney Opera House. I appreciate the use of the slopes, hinge-bricks, and 1x1 slopes which combine simultaneously to create both sails and the angles for the window/awnings at the base of the sails.

I also enjoy working within the limits of the Design byME and S@H Pick-a-Brick palette. Note: a quick survey of LDD/PAB elements shows that only one type of white complex slope, such as the three or four types used in the official LEGO Sydney Opera House, are available in LDD/PAB.

In the meantime, inspiration was found in a simple "plate 1x1 w/tooth" (LDD part # 49668).

Could this one element begin a one-stud wide opera hall and a Sydney Opera House?

What pieces, shapes, and colors within the limited LDD/PAB palette?

Every observer sees with different eyes. Some will see the sail? Some will see round/circle profiles of the hinge-plates w/bars? More unsightly gaps?

What will you see?

To the end, I enjoy seeing so many inspired ideas. The execution reveals time, thought, passion, and pride.

Remember the courage it takes to share... and the resilience it takes to perfect.

-James Mathis

post-9459-132679276011.jpg

Lego updated its Architecture website yesterday!

I wander what it will be? :tongue:

21012_teaser.png

It's the Sydney Opera House. The shape suggests this and you can see the "S" on its name plate.

It's the Sydney Opera House. The shape suggests this and you can see the "S" on its name plate.

He was being sarcastic.

I am a Knight!!! :excited: :excited:

Edited by Legoman273

Just thought I'd let you guys know that the Sydney Opera House is now available at my local LEGO Store (Fairview Mall, Toronto, ON, Canada), for $49.99 CAD.

On FBTB's Flickr page, there are two new sets scheduled for June. Big Ben and the Namademun Gate.

-Sci

The Big Ben set looks quiet interesting, and is very recognizable. default_classic.gif

Seconded. This is the third Architecture set I would like to call my own (after White House and Brandenburg Gate).

The entire set screams: Make me the complete House of Parliaments!

Loving that Big Ben set - will quite possibly be my next Architecture purchase. And if I'm not mistaken, this is the first in the line not designed by Adam Reed Tucker. I certainly like his work, but it'll be nice to see work by other architects in this line.

Very sorry if these pictures have already been posted. :blush:

Edit by Rufus: Sorry, 'Confidential' watermarked pictures aren't allowed :sad:

Edited by Rufus

Big Ben is definitely a lot better than the Opera House but still unlikely to get it

I'm definitely buying this one. I'm on my way to buying all the Architecture sets and no one will stop me.

I'm definitely buying this one. I'm on my way to buying all the Architecture sets and no one will stop me.

Good one mate, it is a poor looking line for me and I got other more important Lego sets to spend my doh on this year

BN.com has listed the upcoming Architecture sets. But no pictures, anyone got pics for following?

Vila Savoy Paris 21014

Eames House 21015

Edited by brickitect

Good one mate, it is a poor looking line for me and I got other more important Lego sets to spend my doh on this year

Yeah, I'm not really a fan either. I mean, they're neat little builds with stands and all, but there's much more things on my list to get. Plus, nothing in the line really impresses me enough to buy. That Big Ben is fairly tempting though.

On a different note, "nano blocks" makes some cool Architecture type sets, castles, to be exact. I'd love to see some castle sets to come out of this line. I don't know if castles really fit with the line, though.