Rufus

2012 LEGO Architecture News & Discussion

Some parts of the model seem really stylishly replicated, others not so much. The sails themselves look excellent for this size, but the places where they meet are a bit gappy-looking. There is definitely a lot to be said for the techniques that were presumably used to get the different sections of the building at the correct angles from one another-- having such a large portion of the model not parallel to the edges of the base is unusual for any LEGO set, even a LEGO Architecture set. I'm curious if this relies on the Pythagorean method of angling bricks or on some type of hinge plate like the 2x2 turntable.

While I agree a larger-scale model could have been much more precise, one thing I kind of like about some Architecture sets (like the Space Needle, which I consider the best set from the first wave) is how they go for the overall impression of their subjects rather than necessarily for more exact, sculpture-like renditions. The same can sort of be seen in the four "horsemen" atop the Brandenburg Gate. In general for the Architecture line this is a very nice set, and I'm sure if TLG ever wanted to go back and make a larger model like the Taj Mahal set, there'd be nothing stopping them.

I thought a couple years ago there was a short article/teaser saying that TLC was working on the Sydney Opera House and that it'd set a new highest piece count (greater than the Taj Mahal)? I can't recall where that was posted (somewhere here on EB). Anyways, I too am disappointed that this set not only didn't turn out to be another Sculpture but that this Architecture version seems incapable of doing the building justice. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Hello.

when I was looking at brickshop.nl,In the new items bar was this added:

LEGO 21012 Sydney Opera House.

The release date is 1 june 2012,and the price 39,99 euro's.

this was the same site that give us information about the pet shop,and the joust,so I think we can trust this.

What do you think?

there are ligid then, a lot of european lugs don't like the fact that LEGO supplied brickshop.nl with the Maersk train set before they gave it to LUGs like de Bouwsteen, BeLUG or Lowlug. brickshop.nl came out with a youtube video about it. It seems they have good connections with LEGO :)

Wow, it looks terrible. It looks more like a super sarlaac than the opera house.

Steve

Meh. I'll pass on this one. I would much rather see a large scale model.

Edited by Meatman

As an Aussie, I think this one looks alright, but I agree that the size is too small to do it well.

This is pretty disappointing. I don't collect this series, but when I saw the name of the set I expected a much better representation of it than this. Not sure how you could do the sails better... maybe there should be a Eurobricks competition to design a better one! :wink:

Is this what we have been waiting for.....it's a MEH ! :facepalm:

The sail shapes are not even close, at least the others in the series look similar to what they are meant to be.

So, this.....800px-Sydney_opera_house_side_view.jpg.....has became that. :innocent:

Each sail piece ends at a point not a squared off line.....it looks like it from a distance....get closer and it's a fail.

Sorry, Lego but from this Aussie who has walked around it for real....you fail. :blush:

I am not from Australia. I have never visited this iconic building. When I first saw the pictures I thought it looked terrible. Nowhere near how it should look. After looking at the picture LT put up, I actually can visualize what Lego was doing. I actually kind of like it now. I still won't buy it, but it isn't as bad as I was thinking it was originally.

Wow how bad is that, the midi scale seems to be a lazy outlet for Lego when it comes to giving an answer for each set in this series, as bad as some buildings have been in the past this takes the cake :thumbdown:

Iv never much been interested in the Architecture sets

And to be honest, this dosen't really do much for me but

i do like how this particular set it made,

hinged slopes if im not mistaken... :thumbup:

Wow. I don't collect Architecture sets (not available in stores), but this definitely looks like one of the worse models of the lot.

I would have expected something bigger, considering it's a fairly iconic landmark.

Also because I live ten minutes away from it. :tongue:

The sail structures need to be connected and their tips need to be sharp and pointy. This set isn't a close representation of the real structure. And seriously the set has too many holes. Not even close. Worse architecture set so far.

Ahhhhhhhhh.... Hmmm well Im disappointed. i have been wanting a sydney opera house really bad but if the option is no opera house or this one i chose no opera house.

I get the feeling that this set was rushed. I just hope this is just false photo.

Man what a shame :cry_sad:

Charlie

I'm not Australian but I agree with you. The Sydney Opera house would have made a wonderful Taj Mahal sized set. I'm not a big fan of the architecture line.

Same here. I got fairly excited reading rumours this would possibly be released as a Large Scale Model, so a bit disappointed.

Great for Architecture line though, I think it's awesome that also non-US buildings have been designed for this lately. :thumbup:

I agree that is looks like crap. I wonder how many pieces it would have taken to make it look like this?

AWESOME

TLG should have made something like this. That is really life-like. A 5922 piece Taj Mahal would mean TLG is capable of a 5000 piece Sydney Opera House.

If the photos are to be believed, it looks like the 15 year old work experience student at Lego knocked this monstrosity up in their lunch break.

If the photos are to be believed, it looks like the 15 year old work experience student at Lego knocked this monstrosity up in their lunch break.

I don't like comments like this; they seem to ignore the effort and experience that goes into even sloppy-looking designs. If you look at the angle of the main building from the rectangular base, that doesn't strike me as the work of an amateur, but rather the work of a professional. If the sails show less professionalism that could just mean that the designer had different priorities than getting the sails exactly right. But IMO even the sails are a lot more sophisticated in design than anything I could have thrown together at this scale, echoing their familiar flaring shape in a way that couldn't be mistaken for any other building.

I'm curious what the price point for this set will be. Amazon.co.jp prices it a bit higher than the Brandenburg Gate, and I think that seems reasonable, since it seems similar in size but with a much more complicated base.