Smrgol

How do you organise your spare parts?

At the moment my un-built standard Lego parts are organised by type in plastic bags regardless of colour (i.e. 1byX in one bag and 2byX in another, the large flats in another etc. etc.).

However as I only have 2 stud-less sets and 1 partial studded set I don't have many spares yet, but as I get more I want to create an efficient way of organising the parts before it gets too late :grin:

You might want to check this thread:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26213

It is for LEGO organize in general .but I think it applies for Technic parts also.

At the moment my un-built standard Lego parts are organised by type in plastic bags regardless of colour (i.e. 1byX in one bag and 2byX in another, the large flats in another etc. etc.).

However as I only have 2 stud-less sets and 1 partial studded set I don't have many spares yet, but as I get more I want to create an efficient way of organising the parts before it gets too late :grin:

I've posted in that thread, as have other Technic builders. There's a bit more on my web page. IMO Technic makes it even more important to have lots of small compartments and to sort by part rather than colour. Tackle boxes are the easy option, but once I saw the way old Meccano sets were boxed I was convinced, so I build my own trays based on that idea. It means I can have a row of bins scales to take 12 long axles then 10 long axles then 9 axles and so on. Which only gets annoying when TLG decide to release a new length. I simultaneously would love an 11 long axle but would be annoyed because it would mean rearranging my bins of bits to fit it in. moz-lego-storage-4_.jpg

On the other hand, people like Sariel apparently just use a box with loose parts in it for most of their building. Presumably with spare boxes of parts and some sorting of the larger stuff. FWIW I also have boxes like that (that hold parts sorted and bagged) so that when I run out of something I can just dig it out.

Edited by Moz

This is basically how I have my stuff organized:

4 drawers with pins, axles, axle connectors, bushings, 1x2 beams, 1x3 beams, 3x3 T beams, 1/2 wide beams, u-joints, and other small random parts

1 drawer with yellow beams

1 drawer with black beams

1 drawer with light bley and dark bley beams

1 drawer with red beams and other random colors

1 drawer with gears

1 drawer with pneumatic parts, hoses, and ridged hoses

2 drawers with wheels and tires

1 drawer with red panels

1 drawer with panels in other colors

1 drawer with PF parts

1 drawer with bulk items I've purchased off of bricklink, still bagged

4 drawers full of random parts that still need to be sorted

1 shoe box full of wheels

2 shoe boxes full of random parts that needs to be sorted

1 medium sized tote that still needs to be sorted (mostly old studed parts)

A couple bags full of parts I ordered during out last LUGBulk order.

When I take apart my backhoe, I'll have to find someplace to put all the parts. :wacko:

Anyways, that's how I've got my stuff organized for the time being.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Well I use these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_198515_categoryId_255213_langId_-1?cm_sp=Intelligent_Offer-_-Product_Details_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PDPz1

They also make thinner ones with smaller compartments (great for those one or two very rare parts you have) and an XL version (great for thousands of beams). They are expensive, but Lego deserves a good home :classic: . At the moment my pile of these organisers is almost as tall as me and brobably heavier than me, still need to buy more :wacko:

Edited by allanp

Thats what my lego looked like when I was 15 lol a massive massive pile in the middle of the room which would then decorate the bottom of my mum's foot if she was foolish enough to walk in when I was busy haha

I wish, try doubling that - hence why I have no money to buy stuff, damned adult responsibilities haha

Stanley do a nice range of hobby/parts cases of which I have used quite a few.

Stanley Organiser

Organiser Large

B & Q also do a similar line. I use these sort of cases for small pins, bushes, small gears etc. When parts get bulky or too many for the small divisions, then the parts are evicted to a 500g margarine tub in the drawer of my desk. 15L studless beams will fit nicely in a margarine tub. The tubs are generally the same shape and size, and can sit nicely in a drawer. They also stack when empty. When things get REALLY bulky, then they are moved to the 1L or 2L ice cream tub. Most of the angled plates, 2 stud wide plates, Black studded beams, yellow studded beams all are contained in the Tesco value ice cream tubs.

I find that my parts inventory is fluid. It is always increasing but can vary depending on what is currently built. I am now low on 6L axles and black pins, but i have a big spare box. It is good to have various sizes of tubs. We found that it is better to have a tub or container that you can tip out and look for the correct colour, instead of the organiser where you have to finger through the parts, as this can be fiddly with small light brick, bushings etc.

Hope this helps

I store my parts in 5 tackle boxes. Although i keep many MOCs together at one time because i simply dont have the room for the parts.

tim

I have a bunch of those really useful boxes in sizes from 18 litres to really tiny ones. They're normally pretty expensive but I got them all dirt cheap when my local Tesco cleared them out. Very useful when you're a student with no income :tongue:

The sorting was really basic. One box for beams and such, one box for gears, one for axles, one for pins, one for connectors and the rest for other parts like bushings and such. Now those boxes are almost empty as I finished building the last of my models back to their original state yesterday... no time to MOC much these days, so might as well display them.

i use this:

Kunststofbekers__4e562ef1d5b3c.jpg

they come in different sizes and are about 7 euro for 100 boxes. you do have to buy the lids extra.

I have about 100-150 250CC bines with lids, and about 50-100 bigger ones.

Each part has its own bin, and parts like connectors, beams, gears,... are sorted by color (only parts where i have more than 20 or more a color)

for my tyres i have 2 lego stools:

lego-seat-stool.jpg

a red ones for big tyres, which cannot be closed for the moment :thumbup:

a green ones for smaller tyres.

Organise? What's that mean? :tongue:

416946265_b01093cc22_z.jpg

The most organised man can't organise :laugh: somewere between his lego is his house, wife and kids

greets Edwin

Edited by VFracingteam

This is a direct Quote from that thread mentioned earlier.

"For the bulk of the parts I have them in these containers. Stanley makes three kinds, although the other two "professional" ones allow for the cups to be removed (certainly easier for emptying) they are not resizable and thus are less helpful when you have vastly different quantities of items. I also have a few of those old Technic cases from the universal set for the more rare parts. The rest of the bricks? well thankfully after reading this I finally have a solution I can live with. The bins that are mentioned previously as being "shoebox sized" are still available from walmart for a still reasonable $1.07 a bin (link). I purchased these for the bricks and other items that are just too large for sorted containers"

Now, since then my collection has still grown and I have found those same boxes mentioned enourmously useful for organizing and storing the collection while still being able to move it quickly (say I want certain parts from one box on the left of me instead of right). I have 19 of those stanley boxes. I keep other less used stuff in some large tackle boxes (wheels/tires).

Iam using a mixture from big boxes, small boxes, assortment boxes and unfinished Moc´s :laugh: but corrently iam in a big session of assorting. roundabout 5000 parts are lying on the floor :cry_sad:

6674380245_e24a0aed6d.jpg

100_9045 von efferman auf Flickr

Every set is in a box and all the boxes are in a closet.

When I'm building I use the parts from a set, most of the time my 2 towtrucks.

In my laptop I write in an excel document the parts I use from other sets.

With the help of bricklink I know exact which part I can find in what box.

Iam using a mixture from big boxes, small boxes, assortment boxes and unfinished Moc´s :laugh: but corrently iam in a big session of assorting. roundabout 5000 parts are lying on the floor :cry_sad:

6674380245_e24a0aed6d.jpg

100_9045 von efferman auf Flickr

you build on the floor?

well here is a tip for you, i find a thing called "table" very interesting :tongue:

I prefer building on the floor as it gives me a lot more space to work - my desk has my PC on it and there just isnt enough room for the various boxes I am now using haha

you build on the floor?

well here is a tip for you, i find a thing called "table" very interesting :tongue:

and then you also need a...... chair!

i'm also building on the floor. And it's a mess an the floor but i can find almost every thing in a minute :tongue:

you build on the floor?

a table is very usefull if you have vertikal walls. But my walls are a genetical splice experiment between a wall and the ceiling. A big enough Table would need to much space.

i build on my coffee table.... i'm pretty sure there's still a coffee table under there somewhere.

KEvron