danthaman11

California Lego City

Veery nice layout. The double sided town-hall looks great. I might try to bricklink it. I wish I had of picked up the Town Plan when it was out.

I love this. Do you plan on making Stanford University? I just think the Grand Emporium is the second best Lego set. 1 is MMV obviously!

But well done!

Awesome. This is a great lay out. I love the feel of the palm trees and I also really really like the town hall.

Very nice work

Charlie

Awesome town, love the various MOCs/MODs you have done. Great job! :thumbup:

Thanks HighFlyer.

A great layout!

Thanks President of Brick Town.

Veery nice layout. The double sided town-hall looks great. I might try to bricklink it. I wish I had of picked up the Town Plan when it was out.

Thanks eliminator for the kind comments on the town hall. The town hall building in Town Plan was my favorite building from the set. Sorry you missed out on the Town Plan. It's a great set, lot of details and easy to mod for those that want a modular or larger version of the buildings. I wish Lego would make more set like that.

I love this. Do you plan on making Stanford University? I just think the Grand Emporium is the second best Lego set. 1 is MMV obviously!

But well done!

Thanks JediAnakin. No plans to make Stanford University. They have quite a large campus on the farm but maybe one day when I have space for a larger layout.

Awesome. This is a great lay out. I love the feel of the palm trees and I also really really like the town hall.

Very nice work

Charlie

Thanks chuckie8646 for the kind comments.

Wow! I really like the layout of your City. I do have a question though. How did you go about connecting the road baseplates to the modulars such as the Grand Emporium. Did you use a 2x2 Tile?

Thank you!

Kyle

Wow! I really like the layout of your City. I do have a question though. How did you go about connecting the road baseplates to the modulars such as the Grand Emporium. Did you use a 2x2 Tile?

Thank you!

Kyle

Thanks for the kind comments KyleJohnson11. I actually don't connect the modulars to the road baseplates. The modulars are connected together but are seperate from the road baseplates. The road baseplates are connected to each other by the 2 x 2 tiles. I don't connect the buildings to the roadplates so it's easier to rearrange if I want to switch out a building or do some cleaning. If I did connect the modulars to the roads I would use 2 x 2 tiles.

Thanks for the kind comments KyleJohnson11. I actually don't connect the modulars to the road baseplates. The modulars are connected together but are seperate from the road baseplates. The road baseplates are connected to each other by the 2 x 2 tiles. I don't connect the buildings to the roadplates so it's easier to rearrange if I want to switch out a building or do some cleaning. If I did connect the modulars to the roads I would use 2 x 2 tiles.

Thank you very much for your insight. I appreciate it!

Thank you very much for your insight. I appreciate it!

Thats a really detailed model of a califonian city

Is it san fransisco or Los Angenles

Let me say that pics of your city were some that inspired my own. Also, how is your table set up (Length, width, where you got it, how sturdy it is..)

Thanks,

Dakar

I like the town hall most in this setup =]

Will you start adding MOCs in your modular buildings?

Can't wait to see you get some more new stuffs!

And is the tram powered?

What an amazing City you have! This inspired me to create my own City like yours. :)

Thanks LEGO City glad to be able to provide some inspiration.

Let me say that pics of your city were some that inspired my own. Also, how is your table set up (Length, width, where you got it, how sturdy it is..)

Thanks,

Dakar

Thanks Dakar. The tables I use are from Ikea they are the melltorp series which are basic white kitchen tables. I have two that measure 29.5 inches by 59.5 inches and one that is 29.5 inches by 29.5 inches . I overlay a piece of 4 x 8 maple plywood on the tables to create a smooth stable area for the city to sit on. From another piece of plywood I cut pieces to create a little more length and width. The layout currently measures 95 inches long by 54 inches wide. Tables and plywood are pretty stable and the combination gives a good base for the modulars to rest on and minimizes seams you would get with just putting tables together. I've accidently bumped the tables a few times and knocked over a few minifigs and a couple of trees but no major damage. My 2 year old nephew has tried to shake the tables a few times and only major damage is the minifigs that are on tiled areas fall over. Hope this helps with your town setup.

I like the town hall most in this setup =]

Will you start adding MOCs in your modular buildings?

Can't wait to see you get some more new stuffs!

And is the tram powered?

Thanks clcwong. Glad you like town hall, it's one of my favorite buildings. Of course with the rumored new modular town hall I might be converting it into something else in the near future. Tram is not powered yet but its something I've been planning on doing. I bought some power function parts to do a conversion but I just haven't got around to it. Proably won't be adding any interior MOCs in the buildings in the near future. Some of the buildings I put some interiors in like the town hall and the movie theatre but proably will be focusing more on expansion.

Was just wondering if you have or could get any extra pictures of the cinema? Just wondering how you filled in the inside of it after making it a complete unopen building

I quite like this layout - but the tram sharing the train tracks does make me go "umm"! But thats just me - the tram I feel is very european more than Californian - its the low level-ness of the tram, I think.

I otherwise like everything you have done - do you find that the wind farm has stability though?

Doink

Great looking town you have there, really like the incorporation of the rail system, really brings the town to life, how long it take you to put this together from the very first building you bought?

Was just wondering if you have or could get any extra pictures of the cinema? Just wondering how you filled in the inside of it after making it a complete unopen building

I will try to get an interior picture of the cinema in the next week or two.

I quite like this layout - but the tram sharing the train tracks does make me go "umm"! But thats just me - the tram I feel is very european more than Californian - its the low level-ness of the tram, I think.

I otherwise like everything you have done - do you find that the wind farm has stability though?

Doink

Thanks Doink. Tram and rail are definately very european ways of transport but we do have light rail in some of the major cities in California like San Jose and Los Angeles which are similiar in looks to the Lego tram. The Getty Art Museum in Los Angeles is built on a hill and you actually take a tram from the parking lot to reach it. Trams are proably not the first thing you think of when you think of California but it's a state that loves the idea of public transport, the state is currently trying to start a high speed rail line even though it has no money and not many people will ride it.

The wind turbines are pretty stable. When I run them I usually go at the lowest speed on the power functions speed regulator but if I crank it to the top speed the turbines will cause the tower to shake some but they have never fallen over or collapsed from that.

Great looking town you have there, really like the incorporation of the rail system, really brings the town to life, how long it take you to put this together from the very first building you bought?

Thanks Brickmamba. Its been almost 5 years since I started with the first modular building. I got the cafe corner the week that it came out in the spring of 2007. From there its expanded from just a street scene with one building on my shelf to what you see today.

I will try to get an interior picture of the cinema in the next week or two.

Great layout! Did you get the interior photos of the cinema yet? I've been considering modding my cinema, and ideas from layouts as nice as yours are always helpful.

Thanks,

Andy D

This layout is truly incredible. I love the extended out side walks, trees, traffic lights, and the layout of all the modular buildings. I also love how you put the Town Plan Sets back to back. It gives it more complete look. Also, do you have any pictures of progress on the new area.

The Blue Brick

Simply amazing. I love all the details you have included such as the trees. :thumbup:

Is the blue tram functional on 9v or PF?

Love your layout. The town looks spectacular. The palmtrees are great. My favourit is the cinema however. I missed this set (found out to late about these special sets, the can't be bought in the regular toy shops here in Holland) Can't wait to see how the interieur looks like. Hope yoy try your skills on some MOC's to.

Nice layout with good details such as trees and flowers. The CC and Pet Shop buildings look stunning together. :cry_happy:

But what on earth will you do when de City Hall is released? :wink: In fact I like your mod of Town plan better since it looks more like a City Hall. The new one just look like an office building. :sceptic:

It's a very nice city and layout, danthaman11. I like all the greens, the city has got. Trees and green areas. Now, I look forward to see the expansion of the city. There's plenty of space for that, it seems. Will you let the cross street continue between the railway station and the gas station? - And it could be interesting to see what the role of the tram will be.

Great layout! Did you get the interior photos of the cinema yet? I've been considering modding my cinema, and ideas from layouts as nice as yours are always helpful.

Thanks,

Andy D

I finally took some interior shots of the cinema and the other buildings as I was taking pictures of my latest MOC. The cinema interior could proably use some updating but I only used extra parts from the second town plan to do the interior so it was somewhat limited. The theatre area is to the left of the entrance. There is a projector room in the back center and the right part of the building there is a snack and sitting area.

MovieTheatreInteriorA.jpg

MovieTheatreInterior3A.jpg

MovieTheatreInterior2A.jpg

Here is the interior of the train station. Its just a snack shop area on one side and ticket and seating areas on the other side.

TrainStationInteriorA.jpg

TrainStationInterior3A.jpg

TrainStationInterior2A.jpg

Here is the interior of the city hall. One wing is a hall area for city meetings and the other wing is the mayor's office which is pretty spartan just a desk and chair. In the middle is the entrace area and where the clerk works.

CityHallInterior5A.jpg

CityHallInterior2A.jpg

CityHallInterior4A.jpg

CityHallInterior3A.jpg

This layout is truly incredible. I love the extended out side walks, trees, traffic lights, and the layout of all the modular buildings. I also love how you put the Town Plan Sets back to back. It gives it more complete look. Also, do you have any pictures of progress on the new area.

The Blue Brick

Thanks Blue Brick. Haven't made any progress on the new area. Waiting for the new town hall set to come out before I made additons.

Simply amazing. I love all the details you have included such as the trees. :thumbup:

Is the blue tram functional on 9v or PF?

Thanks Macoco. The blue tram in not fucntional yet. I have bought some power functions stuff but haven't gotten around to making the conversion.

Any ideas where the new Town Hall is going? What's to come of the old one?

I am thinking of placing the Town Hall where the old green town hall used to be. I would like to mod the new one to convert it into a 48 wide building so I will proably had to buy 2 so I am going to have to save up some money. I don't know what I will do with the old one, I have thought of converting it into a museum but I will have to incorporate the new building first before I decide where the old one will go and what it will be.

Love your layout. The town looks spectacular. The palmtrees are great. My favourit is the cinema however. I missed this set (found out to late about these special sets, the can't be bought in the regular toy shops here in Holland) Can't wait to see how the interieur looks like. Hope yoy try your skills on some MOC's to.

Thanks. Sorry you missed out on the Town Plan it is a great set. Hopefully Lego will make more like that in the future.

Nice layout with good details such as trees and flowers. The CC and Pet Shop buildings look stunning together. :cry_happy:

But what on earth will you do when de City Hall is released? :wink: In fact I like your mod of Town plan better since it looks more like a City Hall. The new one just look like an office building. :sceptic:

Thanks Ferdik. I agree the pet shop and cafe corner sets work will together.

It's a very nice city and layout, danthaman11. I like all the greens, the city has got. Trees and green areas. Now, I look forward to see the expansion of the city. There's plenty of space for that, it seems. Will you let the cross street continue between the railway station and the gas station? - And it could be interesting to see what the role of the tram will be.

Thanks laka. I am glad you like the landscaping I think it makes city layouts look more realistic. Yes I will proably expand the cross street out and push the train loop out to the edges of the layout to get more space. The gas station and train station will have to be rearragned some but I have not figured that out yet.