mred

MOC: Custom Monorail

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this to, so admins, if not, feel free to move it..... It is fairly heavily train based though.....

At BrickExpo in Canberra this year, I took a monorail based on the tram from the public transport set. It was a hit with lots of people, and I thought I would have a go at building a few more.

I never really liked the proportions of the space series monorails, which were all I have managed to get second hand from ebay, So I had a go at building my own. I will upload some photos of the tram based one later, but here is a screenshot from LDD on my current model I am working on, and when the parts arrive, I will build it and show it off too. As you can probably see, it shares it's heritage with the 7939 Cargo train.....

I was going to build the monorail to use PF, but you just can't beat the simplicity of the 9v battery box system monorail used, and it takes up a lot less room too, so for the moment, I'm sticking with that.

post-14106-131995842562.jpg

You'll just have to imagine the monorail track under it as I cannot find it, or the monorail base, in LDD.

It will end up being about 2 studs longer than the monorail base, and should be able to go under other tracks. :cry_happy: One half or one car is taken up with the battery, leaving the rest of the area for passengers or whatever else. If you want to see more pictures, let me know. :sweet:

mr-bb1.JPG

Edited by TheBrickster
Added your most recent picture.

It looks good - but I suspect the windows are a little too low on the body for the mini-figs to look out of.

You could also use some of the older cockpits (curved screen, often from the Junior series) to give it a real modern look.

30633px3.jpg30633pb02.jpg

Link: Item 30633 Windscreen Canopy

I look forward to watching photos / video in the coming weeks.

Edited by roamingstudio

It looks good - but I suspect the windows are a little too low on the body for the mini-figs to look out of.

You could also use some of the older cockpits (curved screen, often from the Junior series) to give it a real modern look.

30633px3.jpg30633pb02.jpg

Link: Item 30633 Windscreen Canopy

I look forward to watching photos / video in the coming weeks.

Yes, the windows are a little too low, but I am a bit challenged by height, that is an issue I am working on. I will post some other variations later :classic: In the meantime......

Here is a screenshot of the tram based monorail I built. My built version of it is unfortunately missing a few pieces, and so doesn't look as tidy. When I find my camera I will take some photos of it too :sweet:

post-14106-131996257353.jpg

I have seen a monorail converted to the "Public Transport" tram before - looks very good in the flesh.

6061037443_2d01882cd2.jpg

DSC_5132 by Matt_Henry_Aus, on Flickr

You're right, it certainly does look good in the flesh! That one seems a little shorter than mine, I sort of combined all of the tram to make the two monorail cars, and then hid the battery in one. That one looks a bit neater actually.... I wonder, is it powered?

Ok guys, I have uploaded some better quality pictures, and tried a few of the changes suggested... Check them out!

I thought they would look better with a rail underneath them, so I created something similar...

monorail-type1-rev1.png

I have made the windows one plate higher, and it does improve it. Thanks for the suggestion roamingstudio.

Here is an alternative, using the windscreen you suggested.

monorail-type1-rev2.png

The only big issue with this one is that the windscreen is somewhat more difficult to source.

Here is the tram based one. I would love to redesign it so that it is about one brick shorter, anyone have any great ideas?

monorail-type2-rev1.png

Please resize your imagea within our site guidelines of 800x600 -TheBrickster

You're right, it certainly does look good in the flesh! That one seems a little shorter than mine, I sort of combined all of the tram to make the two monorail cars, and then hid the battery in one. That one looks a bit neater actually.... I wonder, is it powered?

Yes it was :-)

The only big issue with this one is that the windscreen is somewhat more difficult to source.

As always Bricklink is your friend - and they are relatively cheap... I also have a load of spares from when I went on a 7939 Re-colouring binge... Both versions look good now.

I somehow prefer the one with the clear windscreens - it looks more modern and realistic.

Edited by roamingstudio

Have recieved some parts, just waiting on some others before I can get building :classic: Will keep you guys posted :sweet:

Most pieces have arrived from BrickLink, now to start putting it all together :) In other news, have had a baby daughter arrive a week ago, already have a photo of her holding lego........ Good sign I guess?

graceelizabethlego.jpg

Edited by mred

In other news, have had a baby daughter arrive a week ago, already have a photo of her holding lego........ Good sign I guess?

Congrats, and I'm sure the LEGO will help her fine motor skills :tongue:

Congratulations.

I might ask though that you don't make other dads like me nervous. I see a picture of an infant holding a fig and I immediately get nervous she will swallow something. :wink:

Trust me, fishing small plastic items out of a used diaper is no fun. *oh2*

Congratulations.

I might ask though that you don't make other dads like me nervous. I see a picture of an infant holding a fig and I immediately get nervous she will swallow something. :wink:

Trust me, fishing small plastic items out of a used diaper is no fun. *oh2*

Ah, worry no more, there is absolutely no way I would let my treasured lego anywhere near her mouth :classic: I have told her that she can play with it with me when she is 16 years old.... until then it'll be duplo for her I feel! She only gets to hold lego under VERY close supervision :classic: I agree, sorting through a diaper for anything would not be fun!

Well, I've finally built it, and I would say it is about 99% finished. I just need to add passengers.

I had to make a few modifications along the way, mostly to strengthen the body, and then so that the bottom didn't interfere with monorail controls. So, at long last, here are some photos:

mr-bb1.JPG

Navigating a slope

mr-bb2.JPG

Going around the bend

mr-bb3.JPG

On a turn

mr-bb4.JPG

Clearance under raised track

mr-bb5.JPG

Looking along the monorail

mr-bb6.JPG

Closer view

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this to, so admins, if not, feel free to move it..... It is fairly heavily train based though.....

At BrickExpo in Canberra this year, I took a monorail based on the tram from the public transport set. It was a hit with lots of people, and I thought I would have a go at building a few more...

I remember seeing your MOC at BrickExpo and loved it. In fact, I took photos of it for my brother - who is also an AFOL - as he had been toying with the idea of turning the PTS's tram into a monorail.

Thanks spzero for your kind words. You are right of course, monorail parts are very expensive, and often are not in the best condition either. I have been very lucky in my aquisition of two sets, I doubt I will get much more, as other things become priorities, but at least I have two monorails now, and a semi-decent amount of track :tongue: