Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#15: Hoisting Down the Jolly Roger

The person in the shack's door tries to peer into the darkness, but since he sees nothing he returns inside. The party uses this chance to sneak into the forest.

The undergrowth is very thick, since the forest has not been in much of a use. Suddenly Christopher stumbles into something. Looking down, the knight sees a skeleton.

heroicaquest15-skeleton.jpg

There's still a strip of a shackle hanging from the skeleton's other wrist, hinting that the unfortunate person used to be a slave. But how did the skeleton end up there in the middle of the bushes?

What will the party do now?

Does anyone have a magnifying glass to check for traps?

And lets search this slave, he may have some "information" we can use. perhaps the way he is laying or something?

"Seems to be an escapee prisoner from the fortress who met an unfortunate end here in the forest. I do not think we should linger here too long."

"Are there any bones there the party could make better use of later, and is there somewhere here to dig?"

And lets search this slave, he may have some "information" we can use. perhaps the way he is laying or something?

The skeleton is obviously old, since the bones are picked clean. The party finds nothing of interest from the skeleton, but the party realizes that it's lying close to the rocky wall of the fortress. The poor sod did not enjoy his or her freedom for long.

heroicaquest15-forest.jpg

Ad-Hoh checks the rock wall for levers, pressure pads, weak points or hand and foot holds for climbing.

"The prisoner must have gotten out from here somehow, and it makes sense that they escaped through a secret back entrance."

Ad-Hoh checks the rock wall for levers, pressure pads, weak points or hand and foot holds for climbing.

Ad-Hoh runs his hands on the surface of the rock, and soon finds a spot where the rock comes off in pebbles. It looks like a man-sized hole was made into the face of the rock at one point, but it was later covered back again. There seems to be a secret entrance inside the fortress after all!

But how will the party get through it?

"Ah, progress! Well I am a little larger than 'man-sized', so maybe a smaller member of our party should try it first."

OOC: Or is it still blocked somehow?

"Apparently the forest isn't such a waste of time after all. I think we can use a pickaxe to cut open the hole again. Hopefully, we won't make too much noise and disturb those pirates in their cabin."

"Perhaps that skeleton could be of some use to us? One of those decoys, maybe? I will check and pick up the skeleton."

Hybros hoped he wouldn't have to crawl through because of his size. The last time he had wasn't the best of experiences. He waited while Erdathcath picked away at the secret entrance.

Whispering over her shoulder, Erdathcath says "I think it would be a good idea to keep the skeleton, we may be able to use it as a dummy to take free shots in battle."

Then she continues to pick at the wall.

As Sir Christopher and Erdathcath start digging through the loose rocks on the wall with their pickaxes, Hybros picks up the skeleton. It really is a perfect decoy for battles.

heroica-skeletondecoy.jpgSkeleton Decoy – Can be used to absorb enemy Free Hits for up to 20 points of damage before it breaks.

The party breaks through the wall, and enters a darkened room within the fortress. The light seeping from the door on the opposite wall reveals that they have arrived to some sort of a stockroom.

heroicaquest15-stockroom.jpg

What will the party do now?

"Hmmm, Hinckwell crates in a pirate hideout. Hahaha, Hybros, maybe these are the stolen crates we had to find during our Quest to the Shadeaux warehouse? Most likely not, though. Still, I'll have a peek at them." Eric said as his eyes adjusted to the dimness of the room.

Eric will investigate the Hinckwell crates.

Maurice will try and peak through the key hole to see what is outside.

Eric takes a look at the crates with the crown insignia, and indeed, there are perfumes stored within them. The Hinckwells would no doubt be very grateful to see their stolen wares returned to them.

Each member of the party takes one portion of the Hinckwell wares to carry.

heroica-hinckwellwares.jpg6x The Hinckwell Wares - A stock of expensive perfumes found from stolen crates. Worth 100 gold.

The others search the unmarked crates, barrels and chests, and they find liquor. Lots of liquor.

heroica-rum.jpg12x Rum - The favorite drink of any common pirate, giving it to them makes them your friend. Does not work on pirate leaders, though.

img_2873.jpg3x Mead - Causes the encouraged-effect, doubling the target’s attack power for the duration of one battle.

How will all that booze be divided?

Maurice peeks through the keyhole, and sees a kitchen on the other side. There is a cook and a maid working at the stoves.

"Looks like the Hinckwell crate mystery is solved after all. I had a hunch the Shadeaux hadn't taken them!"

Eric divides the loot amongst the party members. All of them receive 2 bottles of rum. One mead goes to Ad-Hoh and one to Maurice. Eric decides to keep the last bottle of sweet mead for himself (unless someone else wants it badly).

The party prepares itself to head into the kitchen, ready for possible trouble.

"Looks like the Hinckwell crate mystery is solved after all. I had a hunch the Shadeaux hadn't taken them!"

OoC: Ahem...

"As is expected. While you were on your mission, I received news of a new pirate captain raiding the waters. He calls himself Jolly Roger, and we have reason to believe he is responsible for our lost cargo. The Bonapartes will undoubtedly make quick work of his misdeeds, like they have done to all aspiring pirates so far. Anyway, I apologize for sending you to a fool's errand, but I am curious to hear if you found anything else of interest from the warehouse. You will naturally receive your reward even though you did not find our crates."

Party:

heroicaavatar.jpg

Ad-Hoh
(played by ADHO15)

Level 10½ Mage
*resistant to magic*

Power:

Health:
14/14

Ether:
14/14

Gold:

Inventory:
Rhabdomance Staff (WP:5), Robe of Spell Resistance, Emerald (Wood), Amethyst (Darkness), Ruby (Fire) 4 Potions, 3 Tonics, Mead, 2 Rums, 2 Lightning Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, 1/6 of the Hinckwell Wares

019.JPG

Sir Christopher Daggerfall
(Fred Fred Burger)

Level 9 Knight

Power:

Defence:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Great Sword (WP:7), Mockthril Shield (WP:4), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, Remedy, Mead, 2 Rums, Smoke Bomb, Fire Bomb, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Bone, 1/6 of the Hinckwell Wares

Erdathcath Madilinas
(played by The_Customizer)

Level 9 Ranger

Power:

Health:
15/15

Gold:

Inventory:
Longbow (WP:5), Helmet (+1 max. health), Snake Eye Charm (protects from petrify), Potion, Grand Potion, Phoenix Essence, 2 Rums, 2 Smoke Bombs, Fire Bomb, 2 Ice Bombs, Lightning Bomb, Water Bomb, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, 1/6 of the Hinckwell Wares

eric_small.jpg

Eric
(played by Khorne) *Party Leader*

Level 12½ Barbarian

Power:

Health:
20/20

Gold:

Inventory:
Godricsleif (WP:8,
ice-elemental
), Potion, 2 Meads, 2 Rums, Venom, Bedroll, Bone, 1/6 of the Hinckwell Wares

6043175947_18b74f9140_t.jpg

Hybros
(played by JimButcher)

Level 10 Rogue

Power:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Zoot's Reaper (WP:10), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5), Throwing Knife (WP:5), Helmet (+1 max. health), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, 2 Remedies, 3 Meads, 3 Nostrums,3 Smelling Salts, 2 Rums, Smoke Bomb,Shovel, Bone, Bedroll, Skeleton Decoy, 1/6 of the Hinckwell Wares

6274181516_11b6a760ac_t.jpg

Maurice Ratibor
(played by Etzel)

Level 9 Cleric

Power:

Health:
18/18

Ether:
13/13

Gold:

Inventory:
Diamond Mace (WP:4,
light-elemental
), Helmet (+1 max. health), Scroll of Sleep, 2 Potions, 2 Tonics, Phoenix Essence, Venom, Mead, 2 Nostrum, 2 Rums, 1/6 of the Hinckwell Wares

Shall we continue through to the kitchen?

Also, if we do things right, we can turn nearly the entire group of Pirates against Jolly Roger, which wouldn't be a bad idea if you ask me.

"Hmmm, Hinckwell crates in a pirate hideout. Hahaha, Hybros, maybe these are the stolen crates we had to find during our Quest to the Shadeaux warehouse?"

"Yes, I think so, Eric. Looks like we fought Umbra for nothing, hehehe..."

"Thanks for the rum, though of course I won't be drinking it, hehe."

The party leaves the stockroom and enters the kitchen. There they face the confused cook and maid.

"Where the hell did you come from?!" the pot-bellied cook shouts, waving a greasy sausage and a long, sharp knife. "Were you raiding my rum storage for the fellers? You don't look like our folk, though..."

"Psst! I think they're spies!" the maid whispers.

"A-ha! That does it! YOU - that's what for dinner!"

The kitchen staff is joined by four squealing rats, lured out of their hole by the promise of fresh meat.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

heroicaquest15-battlekitchen.jpg

Enemies:

Kitchen Rat (White)

Type: Vermin

Level: 5

Health: 26/26

Special:
Foul Bite
– Causes poisoned-effect to the target, making it lose 1 health each turn until the effect is remedied, the target is defeated or the battle is won.

Drops: nothing

Kitchen Rat (Brown)

Special:
Foul Bite
– Causes poisoned-effect to the target, making it lose 1 health each turn until the effect is remedied, the target is defeated or the battle is won.

Kitchen Rat (Light Grey)

Special:
Foul Bite

Kitchen Rat (Dark Grey)

Special:
Foul Bite

Pirate Chef

Type: Humanoid

Level: 10

Health: 126/126

Special I:
Sausage Fest
– The Chef throws scorching hot sausages all around, causing 5 damage to all opponents regardless of row.

Special II:
Slice’n’Dice
– Halves the target’s current health.

Drops: Greasy Sausage (eating it will give +2 max. health)

Note: The special skills will occur in the listed order

Pirate Maid

Type: Humanoid

Level: 8

Health: 69/69

Special:
Scream For Help
– All remaining allies of the maid will attack the one who targeted her, each causing 2 damage. If no allies are left, the maid will flee.

Drops: Elixir

Party:

heroicaavatar.jpg

Ad-Hoh
(played by ADHO15)

Level 10½ Mage
*resistant to magic*

Power:

Health:
14/14

Ether:
14/14

Gold:

Inventory:
Rhabdomance Staff (WP:5), Robe of Spell Resistance, Emerald (Wood), Amethyst (Darkness), Ruby (Fire) 4 Potions, 3 Tonics, Mead, 2 Rums, 2 Lightning Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, 1/6 of the Hinckwell Wares

019.JPG

Sir Christopher Daggerfall
(Fred Fred Burger)

Level 9 Knight

Power:

Defence:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Great Sword (WP:7), Mockthril Shield (WP:4), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, Remedy, Mead, 2 Rums, Smoke Bomb, Fire Bomb, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Bone, 1/6 of the Hinckwell Wares

Erdathcath Madilinas
(played by The_Customizer)

Level 9 Ranger

Power:

Health:
15/15

Gold:

Inventory:
Longbow (WP:5), Helmet (+1 max. health), Snake Eye Charm (protects from petrify), Potion, Grand Potion, Phoenix Essence, 2 Rums, 2 Smoke Bombs, Fire Bomb, 2 Ice Bombs, Lightning Bomb, Water Bomb, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, 1/6 of the Hinckwell Wares

eric_small.jpg

Eric
(played by Khorne) *Party Leader*

Level 12½ Barbarian

Power:

Health:
20/20

Gold:

Inventory:
Godricsleif (WP:8,
ice-elemental
), Potion, 2 Meads, 2 Rums, Venom, Bedroll, Bone, 1/6 of the Hinckwell Wares

6043175947_18b74f9140_t.jpg

Hybros
(played by JimButcher)

Level 10 Rogue

Power:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Zoot's Reaper (WP:10), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5), Throwing Knife (WP:5), Helmet (+1 max. health), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, 2 Remedies, 3 Meads, 3 Nostrums,3 Smelling Salts, 2 Rums, Smoke Bomb,Shovel, Bone, Bedroll, Skeleton Decoy, 1/6 of the Hinckwell Wares

6274181516_11b6a760ac_t.jpg

Maurice Ratibor
(played by Etzel)

Level 9 Cleric

Power:

Health:
18/18

Ether:
13/13

Gold:

Inventory:
Diamond Mace (WP:4,
light-elemental
), Helmet (+1 max. health), Scroll of Sleep, 2 Potions, 2 Tonics, Phoenix Essence, Venom, Mead, 2 Nostrum, 2 Rums, 1/6 of the Hinckwell Wares

Party Leader, choose the order of action.

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone have acted.

"Thank you very much for the rum and the mead, Eric."

"Shall we attack or give them rum and hope they will leave us alone? I think we should try the first option myself, but I assume we will still have to kill the rats."

"Shall we attack or give them rum and hope they will leave us alone?"

The chef rumbles in anger.

"Don't you dare offer me MY OWN RUM, you thieving bastards!!!"

"And I'm an absolutist, so no thanks", the maid chimes in.

"Well that settles that decision. I shall promptly attack the Pirate Chef from the back row with Darkness."