18 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

SilentMode here. What follows is probably my most difficult review to date: not only am I in a bit of a sour mood, but I also have to put aside my personal opinions on marriage (which means most of my material has to be thrown out!), given that many AFOLs on here and elsewhere have significant others.

Anyhow, here it is.

002.jpg

Minifigure Wedding Favour Set

Set 853340

Release year: 2011

# of pieces: 24

# of minifigs: 2

RRP: GBP 6.99 / USD 7.99

Links: Brickset BrickLink

I picked up this set during the Brick Friday promotion at Westfield London's Lego store (the one in Shepherds Bush); I had noticed it at the last minute and thought it would be great for a review. I have two of these sets: the one you see above and one going in the vault.

Going by some of the prices I've seen for this set, it looks like it was previously an exclusive (it was first found in Legoland California at USD 9.99 according to Brickset) - but currently on feeBay it's listed at upwards of GBP 10.

Although I've managed to set up a multi-million pound photographic studio to help take better pictures, white balancing still hates me.

The box

The box itself surprisingly has very few details on it. If it weren't for the picture on the front, one could easily miss it on the shelves.

005.jpg

Here's the back of the box, containing only text.

003.jpg

One of the long sides of the box has a minifigure for scale purposes...

010.jpg

...and reveals the set contains components made in China.

007.jpg

The other long side has the barcode (with the price of the set), along with more multilingual legalese text.

006.jpg

008.jpg

Both the short sides are plain, except for the Lego logo.

The contents

011.jpg

As you can see from this picture I had some difficulty opening the box. You'll notice it's made of slightly thicker card than usual - around half the thickness of larger boxes - and there are none of those opening tabs at the back.

012.jpg

This is what you get inside the set: one bag containing all the Lego elements, a larger bag containing a floral arch and veil, a non-Lego card-like base and a little pamphlet.

013.jpg

The pamphlet says: "for table decoration only".

(Who else is looking at this and thinking, "yeah, right"?)

014.jpg

This is the base that holds the Lego display, with an adhesive pad made by 3M. I'm not crazy enough to actually use it.

015.jpg

The large circular veil with little dots is headwear for the bride. The arch is made from a similar foamy material to the base.

016.jpg

Most importantly, all the Lego elements come stuffed into this little bag - fortunately none of them were damaged.

017.jpg

Almost forgot: we also get this instruction pamphlet. Exactly the same picture as on the box is shown here.

The parts

018.jpg

Excluding the minifigures and their headwear, this is pretty much all you get in the set. With a set this small it's probably not worth picking out the "stars of the show".

But let's be honest, you're thinking the same thing I am: the real reason someone would want to get this set is...

047.jpg

(for our CSI fans: the dress.)

I'm pretty sure the torso uses the same bridal dress design showcased at AFOLcon earlier this year, as part of the large Westminster Abbey model built to celebrate some royal wedding that took place around that time. Unfortunately the only pictures I have of that display were from the side.

img_3320.jpg

Of particular note above is that the printed slope is only one brick high, as opposed to the usual two brick high slope often used for female skirts.

The minifigures

As with most weddings, the majority of attention is given to the bride in this set.

First of all, the front of the box hints that the bride has not just one, but three hairpieces to choose from: blonde, brown and brunette. They are all the same braided style, with a hole on top for the tiara (on the left).

051.jpg

My initial thought was that they might as well have gone the whole nine yards, by including tan, redhead and black variants of the hairpiece. I think, for the purposes of this set, that three hairpieces is more than enough, however.

045.jpg

Here's the bride in its initial assembly with the brown hairpiece. Usually the 2x2x2 slopes make female figures look Amazon-like compared to the men, but with the 2x2x1 slope she looks a little short - almost like a bridesmaid. You'll also notice, quite disappointingly, that the design doesn't line up on the two parts.

Here's the same figure with in blonde...

044.jpg

... brunette...

046.jpg

.. and Gail Porter varieties.

043.jpg

(Gail was included to show that the female head is one-sided.)

Then I realised, when constructing the set, that the white plates and cheese slopes would be used to give the bride some added height.

030.jpg

(They could have used a 1x2 cheese slope, but two slopes would add to the miniscule part count.)

049.jpg

As for the large veil, it is attached to the bride's hairpiece using the tiara threaded through this very tiny hole:

031.jpg

And the result looks like this:

048.jpg

Not bad at all, huh?

Compare the stunning appearance of the bride to this sorry excuse for a groom:

050.jpg

Yes indeed: this guy is basically the S1 Magician, without his moustache or his magic wand. His head is also single-sided, and the only accessory he gets is his top hat (which I'm not sure grooms even wear), and perhaps the empty transparent goblet he's pictured with on the box.

(By the way: he may look like he's smiling, but inside he's crying.)

The build

052.jpg

Very unusual about these instructions is that there's no advertising whatsoever for other sets. I guess it's because, apart from possibly being an exclusive set, there isn't really anything else related. Possibly the Grand Emporium could be advertised, but there's not enough room.

036.jpg

Here are the bride and groom positioned on the white 4x8 plate. The bride is now holding a bouquet of flowers, ready to toss into a ferocious crowd.

038.jpg

The 4x8 plate slots into the base as such, and is meant to be held in place by peeling off the adhesive backing beforehand. I haven't done so because I want that plate!

For some reason I keep thinking it's The Sun logo printed on that base, instead of Lego.

039.jpg

The arch also has adhesive pads, located behind those white tabs. These fold outwards to provide a surface to attach the arch to the base.

040.jpg

The display would look something like this with the arch attached, thus completing the build. Voila, a table decoration fit for an AFOL wedding - just don't expect to see the bride figure ever again!

The leftovers

042.jpg

There really aren't any leftovers, apart from the two spare hairpieces for the bride and any unused flower parts. Actually, looking at the flowers makes me wish that Lego would bring them back in yellow and blue like they used to have, and perhaps some other colours.

The verdict

Let's be honest: the only reason to buy this set is for the bride's torso, and perhaps the bride's printed slope. Even then there's the very visible issue (in the above photos) of the two parts having their designs not line up, which is very disappointing considering it looks perfect on the box. The veil puts icing on the cake.

By far the biggest letdown of the set is with the groom. Although it might be a popular sentiment to ignore him, I think they should have given him a dedicated tuxedo torso - like they gave the bride a new design - instead of recycling the S1 Magician's outfit. They could also have given him a hairpiece for when he's not wearing his top hat, even if it's a generic one.

Leaving aside the non-Lego parts, which may or may not disappear eventually, the real question when thinking of buying this set is: how much would you be willing to pay for that bridal dress?

Design: 8/10

I think a very good job was done designing the bride, and although I don't mind the use of non-Lego elements in this case, more could certainly have been done with the groom.

Build: 9/10

A very very simple build, given the small number of parts; attaching the veil through the tiara, as well as using the adhesive pads, might pose a challenge.

Parts: 6/10

Again the set's let down by the lazy choices made for the groom, and in a small way the use of a non-Lego part for the arch. The bride's hairpiece is very uncommon, with the blonde (Bright Light Yellow) variant being exclusive to this set. I've also taken a point for the misprinted slope piece.

Playability: 3/10

There's not much you can do with this set on its own, as it's meant to be a table decoration. The use of plates on the bride's skirt may make placing her in a scene very tricky, but this is one area where the groom does just fine. All the parts can be put to use in other places.

Price: 7/10

Given that it's going for a lot more than the RRP in other places, I don't think the price for set is that bad, especially if you're buying it for the bride's dress (I've bought a torso more expensive than this set). If you go by price per part, it may not be worth it.

Based on these scores I'd give this set a 7/10 - helped an awful lot by the bride's dress.

Alternative skirt

I couldn't find the skirt piece from last year's Kingdoms advent calendar, so here's the bride with a plain white 2x2x2 slope instead:

053.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Cool, thanks for the review. I got this set but have not opened it yet. It is disapointing about the groom and he should have a dual sided face with nervous expression - never known a groom that didn't have that!

I think the bride torso is nice, veil is nice, skirt is meh but maybe a short skirt will be useful for little girl in a dress. I think using the foam parts is pretty meh too. The only other thing that could have improved the bride is if the color of the tiara would have matched her dress, it's common for a bride to have tiara that matches and a silver/white dress would get a silver or whitegold tiara not a yellow gold one. :wink:

Eh, I had higher hopes for this, but seeing as it is decoration, I'll probably only get it for the figs. The new colored hairpiece is too good to refuse! :wub:

I'm pretty sure the torso uses the same bridal dress design showcased at AFOLcon earlier this year, as part of the large Westminster Abbey model built to celebrate some royal wedding that took place around that time. Unfortunately the only pictures I have of that display were from the side.

Actually the torso used in that MOC is the upcoming CMF Series 7 Bride figure, compare this picture of the MOC to Grogall's picture of the collectables. Thus the torso and dress slope prints in this set are unique (and I suspect they will remain such). It's a bit strange though that Lego should release a set like this when another bride figure, in many ways a superior one, is going to be released so soon. Especially when no attention at all is paid to the groom.

Very nice review of the set - I've bought 2 of them as well - it came a little too late for my own wedding!

Agree that the groom's outfit all looks a little last minute. For my invitations which we made out of Lego, I just used the torso that's in my sig there...

Real shame that the prints on the torso and dress don't line up properly either. I haven't opened mine yet - is this a common theme for all of the sets or have you just been a little unlucky?

And for the record, I wore a top hat on the day, I can't get enough of a good hat!

Aw, ain't it cute ! :laugh:

No....really I like the set and I'm going to try and one at least for the wife - typical female - loves weddings and wedding shows on TV - I say HELP ! :laugh:

It's cool that it comes with three hair pieces and choice of flowers too....women are always changing their minds ! :laugh:

Anyway, thanks for the review 'SilentMode' and Brick On Wed On ! :laugh:

Actually the torso used in that MOC is the upcoming CMF Series 7 Bride figure, compare this picture of the MOC to Grogall's picture of the collectables.

Owned. Actually I completely forgot about the S7 Bride.

Real shame that the prints on the torso and dress don't line up properly either. I haven't opened mine yet - is this a common theme for all of the sets or have you just been a little unlucky?

I've only opened one of the sets so I don't know if it's a common problem, and I don't remember having that issue with other sets. My middle name is unlucky, however.

Anyhow thanks for the feedback on this review.

I saw that, and my girlfriend's response was "I know I am dating a geek, and getting married to him, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that is going near my wedding"

But what about red headed girls! :D

I like the set, but if I'll ever use a bride/groom couple, it will be the one for the 50years Town Plan..it will bring luck!

I like this set very much, and I ordered it.

I didn't realize that there was three hairpieces for the bride, I thought there was only two before reading this review.

Could I ask you to make a photo of the set (in its classic position) using the blonde hairpiece for the bride?