Sign in to follow this  
Fred Daniel Yam

Random Users

Ok, so lately, I've noticed a bunch of random topics in the MCW forum written in Russian and just plain gibberish. One of the links in the Russian topic took me to a pharmacy online store thing. Then some people are going around the MCW forum advertising Paypal money loans or something and house cleaning?! Is this some kind of joke by the staff or is this just plain spam and trolling?

It's plain spam, I believe. It's best not to click on any weird links posted in topics with crazy, gibberish names.

And don't reply to their topics. Just report them and move on :wink:

The staff are discussing this and we'll likely implement a new 'measure' to prevent this. But like what def and Khorne said, just don't click the links these spammers are posting and simply report them. Your friendly staff members are standing by to take your orders do the 'cleaning'. :wink: And thanks for all those who tirelessly report these to us, without you we wouldn't be able to combat these spammers polluting our site.

Noticed a lot of new users with random letters as their name and birthday is close to the joining day. Some profiles have questionable links. Have reported 2 but think it is just the tip of the iceburg. :angry:

Edited by AllanSmith

The staff are discussing this and we'll likely implement a new 'measure' to prevent this.

Ah, you must mean Plan 3001! :drool:

I wonder whether the kids we've recently been getting from RFFL are related to this?

Edited by fallenangel309

I think they're bots searching the internet for forums to post spam to..

You realize that was pointed out in the posts above, also no one has posted in this thread for over a month. Reviving it to point out the obvious seems like a moot point.

Are we under some sort of organized attack? Today I've seen maybe seven or eight spam accounts with their birthday listed as being around January 17 and their location as a random sequence of letters in the format 'usernameXX', such as this guy, this guy, this guy, this guy, this guy, and this guy. Searching for their usernames on Google reveals that most of them have made accounts on at least a dozen forums and been banned at least once. So far I've been reporting them as I see them.

Edited by Fallenangel

Are we under some sort of organized attack? Today I've seen maybe seven or eight spam accounts with their birthday listed as being around January 17 and their location as a random sequence of letters in the format 'usernameXX', such as this guy, this guy, this guy, this guy, this guy, and this guy. Searching for their usernames on Google reveals that most of them have made accounts on at least a dozen forums and been banned at least once. So far I've been reporting them as I see them.

It's likely the same spammer as before, nothing to get worried about. That's the same format the usernames were in the last time they did this, the staff will take care of it.

What is going on?! The Star Wars forum is becoming a spam-fest. I reported three spammers just today.

I would like to say, though, that the mods are handling the onslaught of spam very quickly and efficiently. Keep up the good work. :classic:

I apologize if continuing this spammer discussion is discouraged, but I've noticed that even though the spammers' birthdays are listed as being close to the joining date (usually the next day) they don't show up under 'X members have a birthday today'. This happens even when I don't report them. Is this a safeguard feature?

Is this the same guy spamming up Action themes now? I reported someone yesterday with their country as a bunch of random words, just like their username, like this guy. I've been here for a while, and there have never been this many spammers. :wacko: I assume this is the same guy, since as Fallenangel pointed out, his birthday is in two days. :hmpf:

Is this the same guy spamming up Action themes now? I reported someone yesterday with their country as a bunch of random words, just like their username, like this guy. I've been here for a while, and there have never been this many spammers. :wacko: I assume this is the same guy, since as Fallenangel pointed out, his birthday is in two days. :hmpf:

Likely it is the same guy. Obviously he really likes spamming on EB!

I've been here for a while, and there have never been this many spammers. :wacko: I assume this is the same guy, since as Fallenangel pointed out, his birthday is in two days. :hmpf:

You've been here for 6 months, that's a long time!?

It likely isn't even a person at all, but a group or overseas company running a bot.

If it was a live person they'd be smart enough to respond when appropriate or to at least make more than one thread at a time, and to put in a half-assed effort to get them in a forum where they don't immediately look out of place.