MSM_546

8110 - Unimog U400 General Discussion

Hello Olaf

I'm glad that you like my 1:20 scaled-down version of #8110 that fits the scale of the #8284 Technic Tractor.

Right, there are no instructions for any of my MOCs available, however, by scrutinizing the pictures you should be able to build your own copy, if you like.

Hint: My scale 1:20 UniMOC and the original #8110 shares two original parts - the pivot frame and the counterpart.

If the new #1 and #2 Technic Panels ever will be available in Orange, I will change the color of the cab to Orange ASAP.

Best regards

Carsten B. Thomsen (cbt), Denmark

it's very very nice once agian

News from Lego about the pneumatic problem, that makes them removing all 8110 packages after a couple of days end of June.

I just had contact with the Lego-support. I explained them, that I have one of the very early modells (before the recall of all packages) and that I want to know what the pneumatic problem was. They then sent me a powerpoint presentation, that explained how to find out, if ones has a broken set. And it is NOT the pump, it is a problem with the small pneumatic-cylinder in the claw. That is - at least for me - astonishing, as the mini-cylinder is a long time used part.

These are basically the steps to find out, if you have a broken cylinder:

1) Switch on the pneumatic pump and bring the air to the rear PPTO.

2) Push the first two pneumatic controls upwards (the crain arm will raise and straighten completely)

3) Leave this two controls upwards and additionally push the third one (for the claw) downwards, leave the compressor running.

If after 10 - 30 seconds the crane arm will lower, then the mini cylinder is defect and the customer should get a new one.

I hope, this will help others and finaly will bring the last light into the known problem.

Regards,

Gerhard

How did u contact them as my mini cylinder sometimes sticks badly?

Edited by davidmull

How did u contact them as my mini cylinder sometimes sticks badly?

After two failed attempts to contact Lego via mail I just called them. A very friendly young lady was at the phone and she heared for the first time of that problems. She looked up the knowledge base and found the mentioned ppt-file. She just sent it by mail. Thanks, TLG! :thumbup:

Regards,

Gerhard

Hi everyone, a neewbie here.

Does anyone have problems with the crane attachment where it falls down after being left alone for some time?

Thanks

Does anyone have problems with the crane attachment where it falls down after being left alone for some time?

Thanks

You might have the faulty mini cylinder mentioned further up in the thread.

-ED-

Thanks

If you mean a while after the compressor is turned off, then yes it will. The weight of the attachment will eventually force air out of the system. It happens with all pneumatic models and isn't anything to worry about.

If you mean a while after the compressor is turned off, then yes it will. The weight of the attachment will eventually force air out of the system. It happens with all pneumatic models and isn't anything to worry about.

Well, for me, it happens to the snowplow. But I guess that's natural, since the snowplow is heavy.

Thanks for all the replies. My unimog did have the old 16t gear with teeth, so i was worried about a defective pump. I did the test davidmull posted and it passed. And it only falls when the compressor is off for awhile. So I guess it's normal. Thanks again

I am the proud owner of unimog u400 thanks to my brother for doing work to his house.

I can't wait to start building. The u400 I bought from Lego store is v2 as say on price tag, does that mean it should be ok without defect?

Dan. :pir-sweet:

I am the proud owner of unimog u400 thanks to my brother for doing work to his house.

I can't wait to start building. The u400 I bought from Lego store is v2 as say on price tag, does that mean it should be ok without defect?

Dan. :pir-sweet:

Should do. In version one there was sometimes a problem with the small cylinder leaking causing the system to lose pressure. That has been fixed with version two. Luckily the problem was spotted very early on.

I have a question:wacko:

did anybody notice that the rear en front axle doesn't align straigt it's off by a couple of mm tot the left

I think the problem is with the connection between the axle and the body

instructionpag book 1 pag 83 (21) rear

instructionpag book 2 pag 49 (19) front

I have a question:wacko:

did anybody notice that the rear en front axle doesn't align straigt it's off by a couple of mm tot the left

I think the problem is with the connection between the axle and the body

instructionpag book 1 pag 83 (21) rear

instructionpag book 2 pag 49 (19) front

Hi,

It's the "Panhard Rod" issue.

It has been discussed earlier in this topic, but you can take a look at this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_rod

So it's not a problem :wink:

Should do. In version one there was sometimes a problem with the small cylinder leaking causing the system to lose pressure. That has been fixed with version two. Luckily the problem was spotted very early on.

Thanks. :thumbup:

Finished building it, working very well, love it. I'm so glad i bought it. :sweet:

Daniel.

Hi, i have ordered today the unimog (amazon), but there is no information about the "version". How can i find out, which version i have? (and sorry for my english - it is my teachers fault^^)

As far as I know, version one was not that widely distributed as they found the problem very early on. The ones that were distributed were recalled so they should all now be version two.

No idea why, but it took me a couple of weeks before deciding to assemble my MOG. Pretty sweet, but I've got a couple of comments/questions (that possibly could be avoided if IP.Board search didn't SUCK so bad...)

1. :thumbup: Very cool model - definitely one of the best. Offered more than a few engaging build hours.
  2. :thumbup: New parts are always AWESOME.
  3. :thumbdown: New suspension feels like it's still too soft. Maybe two shocks per wheel? And I've already voiced my opinion on the tire material.
  4. *huh* Question: I'm getting a strange sound coming from the pneumatic function. (please excuse the for-lack-of-better-words adhoc terminology here) It happens when the pump is running and the system is "full" ... when there is nowhere for the air to go. The first thing I'm wondering is if this can damage the pump/cylinders? Obviously I'm not going to sit there with the pump running for no reason, but even during normal use - if I'm not quick-draw McGraw on the switches, there are moments between changing pneumatic functions where I hear the not good noise. Now if I were to describe it... it kinda sounds like the back-pressure being exerted on the pump is causing it to jolt a bit during its rotation - which in turn is causing it to hit the neighboring parts... but that's just a guess.
  5. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: The steering is total crap. BAD LEGO.

So does anyone know what I'm talking about re: the pneumatic noise?

Cheers ~ Perry

The noise does change when the bump is under pressure it's nothing to worry about :)

And yes the steering is crap but lots of us fully rc,d this model so that's sorted,there's also a mod to change friction pins and remove stoppers for better lock,it's all on the moc,improvement tread.

Edited by davidmull

1. :thumbdown: New suspension feels like it's still too soft. Maybe two shocks per wheel? And I've already voiced my opinion on the tire material.
  2. *huh* Question: I'm getting a strange sound coming from the pneumatic function. (please excuse the for-lack-of-better-words adhoc terminology here) It happens when the pump is running and the system is "full" ... when there is nowhere for the air to go. The first thing I'm wondering is if this can damage the pump/cylinders? Obviously I'm not going to sit there with the pump running for no reason, but even during normal use - if I'm not quick-draw McGraw on the switches, there are moments between changing pneumatic functions where I hear the not good noise. Now if I were to describe it... it kinda sounds like the back-pressure being exerted on the pump is causing it to jolt a bit during its rotation - which in turn is causing it to hit the neighboring parts... but that's just a guess.

The suspension needs to work under a variety of loads. I think the stiffness is not bad when there are no accessories on, but it gets pretty soft when you have the crane and plow both installed. Personally, I find most LEGO suspensions too stiff so I'm happy to have a softer one.

For the pneumatics, you are finding the result of a lack of pressure relief valve in the system. With nowhere for the air pressure to go, the system just keeps building pressure until something gives. The first thing you notice is that the system slows down as the back pressure builds up and makes the compressor more difficult to turn. Then the piston seal inside the compressor starts experiencing blow-by "leaking" which is the sound you are hearing. Without that seal leakage, you'd build pressure until something blew up. There's really no way around this with LEGO pneumatics since there is no relief valve. The only alternative is to build a regulator by using a spring restrained cylinder to turn off the power via a pole reverser when the pressure is high enough. That's a pricey and spacious solution that LEGO has never used in a real set though. I'm just glad we got a compressor at all.

Personally I think the pneumatic pump is designed to act as a crude release valve as it seems to allow leakage past the seal before anything pops off. Problem solved!

as I am going to be ordering 2 sets for my wife...

@Crowkillers - This was posted a while back, but I just caught it while looking back through this post... So Paul, this "I'll be getting a couple Unimogs for my wife" thing... is that like when people ask for advice because they've got a "friend" with a [fill in the blank] problem??? :wink: :wink" How is your *cough* *cough* wife *cough* enjoying the Unimogs?

edit: n/m ... it's strange - after seeing the post about getting your wife the unimogs, I've come across several posts from the past where you're adding cool stuff to your wife's collection. Lucky lady!

Edited by PerryMakes

Does anyone have a problem with the front springs not fully going in their sockets, when pressing down the front of the vehicle?

Does anyone have a problem with the front springs not fully going in their sockets, when pressing down the front of the vehicle?

I think we all have that problem,it's not a big deal to me tho.