Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

I'm really hoping this theme gets another round of new sets. I think it's wrong to kill this thing off so quickly. We've gotten some really good sets, in my opinion.

I'm also hoping this isn't a recap of that Prince of Persia fiasco and they kill off the license before next year. :pir_bawling:

New Captain Jack and Barbossa clocks coming out. Dont know when.

[picture]

Nice find! [bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

I heard you can pre-order them on Amazon.com

Does anyone remember that polybag Jack Sparrow that popped up a few pages ago?

Guess what I noticed in this week’s Donald Duck magazine.

img0666vj.jpg

There should also be a little LEGO comic in the magazine, I'll probably say something about it once I have looked through the magazine.

Edited by Runamuck

I'd like to think that the theme can carry on, even though I loved it, can we all agree that it really wasn't as popular as we could hope?.. and with so many licenced themes out there POTC hasn't really lived up to their names... Just a though :pir_wacko:

I'd like to think that the theme can carry on, even though I loved it, can we all agree that it really wasn't as popular as we could hope?.. and with so many licenced themes out there POTC hasn't really lived up to their names... Just a though :pir_wacko:

Somehow it was predictable that the POTC-theme wouldn't live up the expectations. POTC is a movie for ages 12+ and TLC designed sets (IMO) for ages 6-12 (which were quite expensive). They simply missed their target-group.

Let's stop seeing things through rose-colored glasses: TLC blew the theme. For me the BP-thread was quite interesting because it clearely showed some misconceptions. The target group of a POTC-movie are ages 12+. Now let's look how TLC-sets for ages 12+ usually look like: IFS, Medieval market village etc. Yes, these sets are expensive but they are worth one's salt. The POTC are expensive but too simple, it is too visible how TLC tried to cut corners...they are designed as if they were for young children. The excuse "lego is basically a toy for children" cannot be used in a theme for ages 12+.

Best regards,

Wellington

Somehow it was predictable that the POTC-theme wouldn't live up the expectations. POTC is a movie for ages 12+ and TLC designed sets (IMO) for ages 6-12 (which were quite expensive). They simply missed their target-group.

Let's stop seeing things through rose-colored glasses: TLC blew the theme. For me the BP-thread was quite interesting because it clearely showed some misconceptions. The target group of a POTC-movie are ages 12+. Now let's look how TLC-sets for ages 12+ usually look like: IFS, Medieval market village etc. Yes, these sets are expensive but they are worth one's salt. The POTC are expensive but too simple, it is too visible how TLC tried to cut corners...they are designed as if they were for young children. The excuse "lego is basically a toy for children" cannot be used in a theme for ages 12+.

Best regards,

Wellington

Sorry, but you statement on 12 plus age group to watch POTC, my son is 11 and has seen them plus all the Star Wars and Harry Potter plus not forgetting Indiana Jones films with many being rated PG13 plus. What about Transformers, etc., grown up films that are marketed towards children ? :pir-laugh:

It has been price that has effected the sales of POTC, though the QAR sells out....why ? It's a pirate ship ! :pir-laugh:

There is a little two page comic in the Donald Duck magazine that I mentioned earlier. The comic is about the LEGO version of Jack Sparrow telling about his DUEL ON ISLA DE MUERTA. I suspect from the title that it has been translated from English. It is a silly little story narrated by Jack, and Elizabeth a few times doubts that it was the way things happened. There are also a few references to the LEGO website for Pirates of the Caribbean.

I know it is not exactly “classic pirates”, but I could provide a scan if anyone wants one.

There is also a little contest where you have the chance of winning some LEGO POTC sets.

Judging from the preview next week’s magazine will also be pirate themed, I wonder if the will be more LEGO included with that one.

The back cover of the magazine is one big ad for the LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean sets and video game. It is advertising it as news, despite the fact that the sets have been out all summer.

Edited by Runamuck

There is a little two page comic in the Donald Duck magazine that I mentioned earlier. The comic is about the LEGO version of Jack Sparrow telling about his DUEL ON ISLA DE MUERTA. I suspect from the title that it has been translated from English. It is a silly little story narrated by Jack, and Elizabeth a few times doubts that it was the way things happened. There are also a few references to the LEGO website for Pirates of the Caribbean.

This comic also appeared in the LEGO club magazine, at least here in the states.

I'm a little disappointed that the smaller bagged sets, like this minifigure and the mini Black Pearl, haven't made their way over here yet. I really want another POTC set, but I don't want to buy the big expensive ones just yet...

TC

I know it is not exactly “classic pirates”, but I could provide a scan if anyone wants one.

There is also a little contest where you have the chance of winning some LEGO POTC sets.

Judging from the preview next week’s magazine will also be pirate themed, I wonder if the will be more LEGO included with that one.

The back cover of the magazine is one big ad for the LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean sets and video game. It is advertising it as news, despite the fact that the sets have been out all summer.

This comic also appeared in the LEGO club magazine, at least here in the states.

I'm a little disappointed that the smaller bagged sets, like this minifigure and the mini Black Pearl, haven't made their way over here yet. I really want another POTC set, but I don't want to buy the big expensive ones just yet...

TC

So THATS why when I read Runamuck's post something seemed familiar. I've read it as well. Also, I would love to see a Port Royal. :pir-wub:

~Cpt. Tristan

Edited by Cpt. Tristan

So THATS why when I read Runamuck's post something seemed familiar. I've read it as well. Also, I would love to see a Port Royal. :pir-wub:

~Cpt. Tristan

There is actually a Lego Port Royal for the POTC. It can be built using the London Escape and White Cap Bay. The little cards that come with codes in the sets will give you instrcutions on the Lego website. :pir-sweet:

There is actually a Lego Port Royal for the POTC. It can be built using the London Escape and White Cap Bay. The little cards that come with codes in the sets will give you instrcutions on the Lego website. :pir-sweet:

Ooh, good to hear. Thanks Hiawatha! :pir_laugh2:

~Cpt. Tristan

I was looking on flickr and I stumbled on this picture. Does this mean the Black Pearl is already for sale?

You can also see it in this clip. To mee it seems like the real set...

Edited by Cammo

I don't know if anybody else felt this, but I originally wasn't sure about the idea of the POTC in Lego form, but I think that the theme has really lived up to its formers' success. Although they are not classic like the original pirates and the 09 sets, they offer a lot of pieces that help to expand the theme of piracy in Lego. Did anybody else feel that way, and now feels this was? :pirate:

Edited by Hiawatha

I don't know if anybody else felt this, but I originally wasn't sure about the idea of the POTC in Lego form, but I think that the theme has really lived up to its formers' success. Although they are not classic like the original pirates and the 09 sets, they offer a lot of pieces that help to expand the theme of piracy in Lego. Did anybody else feel that way, and now feels this was? :pirate:

I agree when it comes to the minifig accessories and such. The sword scabbards are fantastic and really should be on every fig, pretty much. The bottles are great too. The buckets (also in Kingdoms). The heart of Davy Jones is cool. I also like most of the parts (and figs) in the Cannibal Escape set, which I consider to be the set that lives up to its price the best.

However, I also feel like the structure design of most sets are disappointing. I guess it's just the money/license constraint and having to match what you saw in the movie scenes. For sets like London Escape and The Mill, I found the buildings to be lacking something. I remember building up The Mill's building in particular and stacking 4 or 5 1x2 bricks on top of another in one step and putting a <insert that tiresome argument> wall panel next to it. That's not compelling building.

Most of the 2009 Pirates sets were smaller in piece count than POTC. Or at least they seemed that way. But somehow Pirates just seemed more fun and satisfying to me than POTC. Maybe it's because I knew exactly what I was getting coming into POTC having saw the movies so it lacked some surprise? Or maybe I just couldn't forget the price premium that I paid.

'Zeya', the Mill set was aimed at 10 year olds and not us AFOL's.....compare the coming Joust set vs. King's Castle - Brick-Built vs. Panels with some brick built. :pir-wink:

'Zeya', the Mill set was aimed at 10 year olds and not us AFOL's.....compare the coming Joust set vs. King's Castle - Brick-Built vs. Panels with some brick built. :pir-wink:

Very true. There is a bit of apples and oranges. I guess that was my attempt at comparing how I felt putting together the average POTC set versus the average '09 Pirates set. Even thought the Pirates sets were also aimed at roughly the same age demographic, I somehow had more fun putting them together. Instead of some simplistic/repetitive/bland building in PotC, Pirates would have bright cheery animals or a tree or something. Just seemed more creative and happy. Whereas PotC struck me as struggling with the constraints of piece count and matching someone else's vision and design (the movie sets).

It could just be me and my nostalgia, or the fact that I was coming out of the dark age at the time and everything seemed fantastic. :pir_laugh2:

Oh well. I wish we had more to do than chitchat and gripe, lol. Not enough free time to MOC (but free work time to EB lol). I didn't mean to be too down on the theme by the way. I still need to get a QAR and the Pearl set. I was holding out for Barnes & Noble on the QAR but they screwed me and don't seem to be getting it in stock ever. It's on my Christmas and birthday (mid December) lists. :pir-blush:

Very true. There is a bit of apples and oranges. I guess that was my attempt at comparing how I felt putting together the average POTC set versus the average '09 Pirates set. Even thought the Pirates sets were also aimed at roughly the same age demographic, I somehow had more fun putting them together. Instead of some simplistic/repetitive/bland building in PotC, Pirates would have bright cheery animals or a tree or something. Just seemed more creative and happy. Whereas PotC struck me as struggling with the constraints of piece count and matching someone else's vision and design (the movie sets).

It could just be me and my nostalgia, or the fact that I was coming out of the dark age at the time and everything seemed fantastic. :pir_laugh2:

Oh well. I wish we had more to do than chitchat and gripe, lol. Not enough free time to MOC (but free work time to EB lol). I didn't mean to be too down on the theme by the way. I still need to get a QAR and the Pearl set. I was holding out for Barnes & Noble on the QAR but they screwed me and don't seem to be getting it in stock ever. It's on my Christmas and birthday (mid December) lists. :pir-blush:

Thanks for responding, and I do agree that the 09 line had a better feel, but what I was reffering to was that it was not extremely disappointing and the sets were not horrible. They did well for having a good act to follow. :thumbup: I hope you have a chance to get the QAR! :pir_laugh2:

I've been reading everywhere that Pirates of the Caribbean did badly. So just how bad did it do?

Where is everywhere?

Strangely, I've been reading everywhere that the line did pretty good :) Also a guy on our LUG forum said that the second wave is coming, but I'm really getting more and more sceptical every day - still no news, leaks nor rumors ...