kyphur

MOD: 3677 Locomotive Shortened

Since getting this set it has bothered me that what is basically a Shunter/Yard Engine is comparable in size to the full size freight hauling Locomotives.

My original goal was to get down to a total of 24 studs long but I think I would have had to remove the seating from the cabin to house all of the wiring and I don't want to do that.

6204480253_95d1a49c8b_z.jpg

First I replaced the 28 stud long Train Base with a 24 stud long Train Base. Building on this I basically took the 4 studs out of the area between the Cab and the battery box.

I placed a LiPo Rechargeable Battery in the Red battery Box, to charge the Battery I just need to remove the "vent" disk.

I needed to use the outer most holes in the base to attach the trucks/bogies so I had to shift some of the first layer of construction as to allow these holes to be accessible.

I also had to adjust the actual trucks/bogies for the new length of the Locomotive.

The powered bogie is shortened by 2 studs:

6204616017_1e785a2058_z.jpg

The Unpowered bogie is shortened by 1 stud:

6204617557_926e94809c_z.jpg

Edited by kyphur

Great modifications to such a great engine 'kyphur' and it still looks just as good!

Thanks, I agree it's a great engine. The only issue I have with it is the scale. It shouldn't be the same size as the Yellow Cargo Engine and just a bit smaller than the Maersk Engine. This MOD fixes that without compromising the overall look & feel of the Engine

Nice job, kyphur.

Might try your MOD myself when I can afford to pick up a duplicate set.

I only needed a few parts that weren't in the set:

1 - 1x4 Brick, Black

1 - 2x2 Tile, Black

2 - 1x2 Plate, Lt BlGray

2 - 1x2 Cheese Slope, Lt BlGray

I actually picked-up my second set when Toys R Us had their Buy One Get One Half Off Sale. I'd actually purchased the first on 2 weeks before the sale and just went back to get the second. I explained at the service desk that I wanted to "return" the first one even though it was assembled and at my house then immediately re-purchase it along with the only one they had in stock. I paid $86 and walked out of the store with my second 3677 Set!

I like the re-sized version so much that I'm honestly thinking of building one in Dk BlGray (Primary Color), Lt BlGray and Black. That one might be 8 -Wide though as I'll need a nice Shunter once I start building my 8-Wides...

I actually picked-up my second set when Toys R Us had their Buy One Get One Half Off Sale. I'd actually purchased the first on 2 weeks before the sale and just went back to get the second. I explained at the service desk that I wanted to "return" the first one even though it was assembled and at my house then immediately re-purchase it along with the only one they had in stock. I paid $86 and walked out of the store with my second 3677 Set!

Great score, nice to find a cooperative sales assistant.

:classic: :classic:

Here is how it would look in Dark Gray:

6206134425_7461130116_z.jpg

And if the Battery Box was available in BLACK:

6206636700_38d032a190_z.jpg

Unfortunately I can't really do either as all of the parts are made in either color.

I think this version might actually be build-able:

6206166651_603af027ca_z.jpg

Edited by kyphur

I'm not sure why you think it should be shorter, to me it looks like a Vossloh G1700BB A G1700 is 15 metre-ish long, while, for example the DB V160 family of locos (which the yellow loco from 7939 looks like without its pantograph) is 16 metres long.

However this isn't to criticise your model, which it nice work.

Edited by talltim

You did a nice job shortening the train without ruining the looks of the train.

However, I have to agree with talltim:

I'm not sure why you think it should be shorter, to me it looks like a Vossloh G1700BB A G1700 is 15 metre-ish long, while, for example the DB V160 family of locos (which the yellow loco from 7939 looks like without its pantograph) is 16 metres long.

I think I will keep mine in the long version.

(It's probably our European background)

However this isn't to criticise your model, which it nice work.

To be honest, it's not really that I think it SHOULD be shorter. It's just that to me the overall look & feel of it tends to give me the sense of a shorter Engine.

I guess part of it comes to how I came to Lego & Trains. I'm not a "Train Guy" per-say, which means that I'm not into Trains first and Lego is my chosen scale or medium for Trains. Instead I'm a "Lego Guy" whose Theme of preference is Trains. I'm enjoying picking-up bits of info here and there about Trains but I would have never made the connections you linked to without someone doing as you did.

So when I think of Yard Engines (Shunters) compared to "True" Freight Engines I think of the Freight Engines being on a larger scale as they are meant to pull trains that can measure miles in length whereas the Shunters are basically for moving stuff around the yard and possible moving rolling stock between yards but not really designed for the heavy long haul.

On top of that you add the lines of the 3677 Engine with it's low hood and it just seems like it should feel small when parked next to my Maersk Engine or even the Yellow Freight Engine.

You did a nice job shortening the train without ruining the looks of the train.

However, I have to agree with talltim:

I think I will keep mine in the long version. (It's probably our European background)

Thanks for the compliment, while the primary goal was to shorten the overall length of the Engine I was not willing to compromise the look & feel of it's design.

As much as I want to recolor it I'm not sure that I'll take that leap because right not I'm just not happy with the resulting look.