Fives

Kingdoms 2012?

i dont mind if there isnt any more kingdom theme lego.. as long as they replace it with another medieval type theme.. such as Roman Empire style theme. or Ancient Greece.. etc =D

i dont mind if there isnt any more kingdom theme lego.. as long as they replace it with another medieval type theme.. such as Roman Empire style theme. or Ancient Greece.. etc =D

YES PLEASE! :sweet:

This would be my second choice, besides LOTR. It would be really great to see a theme where Elves play the leading role and there are no Men at all. Something like Elves vs. Goblins and Orcs.

Very good idea Fives! :thumbup: I for one would absolutely love a new ork design that is a bit scarier and less cartoonish than the Fantasy "Trolls". I'm not one to army-build but I would certainly acquire a mother-load of such minifigures if they were released in either a new fantasy theme or as a part of the Collectible Minifigures' future series. :wub:

As far as Heroica being made into a theme; it certainly seems doable and it may be a worthwhile substitute for a LOTR theme made cheaper due to the lack of need for a license. My only concern with that idea is that it would then create 2 different categories of Heroica sets; one of buildable playsets, the other games.

(Yes i know that ninjago and Pharoah's quests have already done this but Heroica has so many expansions I consider it somewhat a more serious game :wink: )

The new sets for 2012 are:

Minotaurs vs Centaurs

Pegasus vs the Gorgon

Spartan vs Army of the undead (300 figures of each)

Elf River Fortress

Goblin Mine of Death

Oh wait, I just woke up :P. Yeah guess we will see what the final (?) waves of kingdoms will be early next year. Probably some smaller sets to accompany the Joust exclusive (sooooooo hyped about that, if it's anything like the MMV).

Ugh! If they discontinue Kingdoms for LOTD AND keep Pirates of the Caribbean around, I'm seriously going to cry. Okay, well not really :tongue: But seriously, besides City, those are my favorite themes, and that's way too many licenses and fleshies being thrown around for too many "core" themes (yes, pirates isn't a core theme, but it seems to sell well).

Edited by Yeow

Is this a list of EVERY set to be released next year? So no chance of sets later in the year? If that's the case it looks like the Joust exclusive could be a final bow for Kingdoms (hopefully a mind-blowing fantastic set of a final bow), and hopefully will see some sales on Kingdoms sets (STILL waiting for the King's Carriage to drop by 30% to make it realistic) and I guess that means I can spend more money on the marvel/dc stuff instead

EDIT: Just read the post above which ninja'd mine. Wow, LEGO really do release ALOT of sets don't they, if this is just the first wave!!

Edited by andhe

Very good idea Fives! :thumbup: I for one would absolutely love a new ork design that is a bit scarier and less cartoonish than the Fantasy "Trolls". I'm not one to army-build but I would certainly acquire a mother-load of such minifigures if they were released in either a new fantasy theme or as a part of the Collectible Minifigures' future series. :wub:

As far as Heroica being made into a theme; it certainly seems doable and it may be a worthwhile substitute for a LOTR theme made cheaper due to the lack of need for a license. My only concern with that idea is that it would then create 2 different categories of Heroica sets; one of buildable playsets, the other games.

(Yes i know that ninjago and Pharoah's quests have already done this but Heroica has so many expansions I consider it somewhat a more serious game :wink: )

I also wondered if they would do an Orc in the CMF line, seeing as they have already done the Elf and the Dwarf. Also, Heroica would seem cool as a real theme, but I think the Goblins in that are still too cartoonish. If TLG remade Orcs in a new theme, it would be great if there were two different races of Orc: one smaller, used for grunt soldiers and workers, and a larger race, similar to the Uruk-Hai from LOTR. And then there could still be some trolls, but again, like you said, less cartoonish.

I'm surprised I'm seeing people asking for less cartoonish orcs/trolls/goblins. Personally, I would really dislike any theme with goblins and orcs where they weren't cartoonish. Minifigures in general have a stylized, cutesy aesthetic, and I feel anything that really seriously defies that (such as some of the 1997 UFO theme's grotesque alien designs) is out-of-place in the LEGO universe. Even in licensed themes like PotC and Star Wars, enemy minifigures have a bit of cute "cartoonishness"-- the zombies in PotC are a good example.

As for Kingdoms, I hope it sticks around simply because I feel the theme has a lot of future potential. But a new Castle theme would also have lots of creative potential, and since I don't buy Kingdoms sets anyway I probably wouldn't cry for it going away-- it had a good range of sets, and anything left undone can be left to the MOCists.

Now I'll throw a cat amongst the pigeons and suggest perhaps.....minifig scale HEROICA ? :wink:

Do you mean sets to recreate the "dungeons" (or whatever, I haven't played the games) or do you mean just the figures? I would buy the figures as some of the characters make me wish they had figures like the Golem Lord in the Caverns of Nathuz, The Dark Druid in Waldurk Forest, some of the Goblins in Castle Fortaan, and most of the hero figures throughout the games.

Do you mean sets to recreate the "dungeons" (or whatever, I haven't played the games) or do you mean just the figures? I would buy the figures as some of the characters make me wish they had figures like the Golem Lord in the Caverns of Nathuz, The Dark Druid in Waldurk Forest, some of the Goblins in Castle Fortaan, and most of the hero figures throughout the games.

If they can release microscale versions of minifig scale exclusives, perhaps they'll do the reverse and produce minifg scale exclusives of 'microscale' (kind of) games.

The general feel/theme of heroica (barbarians, wizards, goblins, dark caverns and woods) would make a interesting change to the usual 'king and castle' centric Castle theme (though probably not for those who didn't like the fantasy era elements).

Also, think of it; they recently released the Heroica games. What if this would be made into an actual theme?

I myself can see that happening. If not, I'm hoping for another fantasy theme with creatures such as goblins, more orcs, etc.

That would be similair to LOTR, so if they don't do that as another licensed theme, a new original fantasy theme could be possible.

It seems to me that TLG isn't that hostile versus fantasy, since the Castle/Fantasy Era they also produced Elves in collectible minifigs, they re-launched the Dwarf and now in January they're bringing Minotaurs and Highlanders with longswords. I would welcome both a fantasy theme, and a north-european castle theme, like vikings but without those crappy monsters. By the way I strongly believe we will see another wave of Kingdoms in 2012. I didn't welcome Kingdoms, it sounded cliche to me... but this year's wave is awesome!

Now I'll throw a cat amongst the pigeons and suggest perhaps.....minifig scale HEROICA ? :wink:

We have that already, just check the Lego Wargames and Mafia Games.

But seriously that is an interesting idea, though I would want them to still have Microfig versions too.

I do believe Kingdoms as a theme is 'over'.

The Knight's Joust or Kingdom Joust set is an indicator of this, as Fantasy Era 'died' with the Medieval Market Village, so will Kingdoms with the Joust set.

A darn shame in my opinion, as the Kingdoms theme is kicking some serious butt.

if they did stop it, it most certainly would make TLG a bit more unsypathetic again. Whereas in the old days they would push themes to the limit and stick to it for several years, they are now lacking the breath to gain profile again. Kingdoms is definetely heading in a really good direction and it's far from being exhausted!!

if they did stop it, it most certainly would make TLG a bit more unsypathetic again. Whereas in the old days they would push themes to the limit and stick to it for several years, they are now lacking the breath to gain profile again. Kingdoms is definetely heading in a really good direction and it's far from being exhausted!!

But was their business model in "the old days" reliable? It's possible that Kingdoms has simply stopped selling as well as it could, and thus they figure it would be safer to introduce a new theme in its place. Stubbornly keeping a theme around longer than it remains successful would just be a foolish business decision.

Frankly, I didn't buy Kingdoms sets, but I loved their designs. And I think the theme's classic sort of conflict has a lot of potential that TLG has not yet explored. I will miss the theme if it ends. But if TLG is ending the theme they almost certainly have a justifiable reason, whether it's to make way for a licensed theme like LotR (many people's suspicion, even though I'm not entirely convinced) or to create a newer medieval theme with more appeal to the target audience.

Edited by Aanchir