Sign in to follow this  
Brickdoctor

Heroica RPG - Quest #4: Taming the Lions

Thormanil eyes the plumed helmet, but turns his focus elsewhere when he remembers how light his coinpurse had gotten.

(To Party) Well, I wonder if there's anyone here who knows anything about the symbol on the knife. Maybe some other items have passed through here marked similarly?

I may not have any gold, but lets ask the merchants if they recognise the dagger.

You approach an employee and ask him about the dagger.

"Many daggers are sold here. I don't really remember them all. Besides, I'm an employee who makes sales in all departments. The manager of the Arms and Armor department would know more about it than I do. He's on his dinner break right now, so you'll probably find him at the Pale Mermaid. His name's William Fane."

De'kra thinks that it could be a good idea to head over to the tavern as well, though he only motions this with a nod. As he looks around the shade considers buying a Venom, a Potion, or a Smoke Bomb. As a Rogue he can flee if need be, though hopefully the quest won't require that. And he already has a Venom, without which he still has a decent weapon power. But at the same time he has a Bedroll, and can recover from his wounds there. Still, other times he might not have as much time to rest.

The it seems that is where we must go. Talk to this William Fane at the Pale Mermaid. Agreed?

"Yes, hopefully this 'William Fane' will be able to tell us something about the knife. Let's go to the tavern!"

Xander was never one to make trouble -- he agreed with the majority, hammer at the ready. He made his way towards the tavern near the back of the group, keeping a keen eye out for any potential trouble.

I lead the party to the Pale Mermaid tavern, which is all the way on the other side of the city and outside the walls. We leave the Emporium at noontime. Between dogs, children, and carts bringing goods into the city blocking the roads, the sun is setting as we enter the tavern.

6109647261_39a80e5ec1_b.jpg

The Pale Mermaid is full of different travelers, merchants, and inhabitants of the city.

"Would it be possible to ask one of the customers or the bartender where we can find William Fane?"

"Would it be possible to ask one of the customers or the bartender where we can find William Fane?"

The bartender indicates a table in the corner, where a knight holding a silver sword, a shield with a dragon on it, and a helmet with a white dragon atop it sits eating alone.

The bartender indicates a table in the corner, where a knight holding a silver sword, a shield with a dragon on it, and a helmet with a white dragon atop it sits eating alone.

No time like the present. Let us ask him what he knows about the dagger.

By the way, Mr Shawe, before I forget to ask, where did you say the dagger was found? Whereabouts was this wrecked caravan?

No time like the present. Let us ask him what he knows about the dagger.

Sir William Fane looks up.

"Well, whaddya know...

"I ain't seen one of these since before I was prospecting in the mountains beyond Brobric Pass. Symbol of the so-called Lion Knights, it is. I've heard they'd returned to Uland recently. Saw one in Bric'Lin a couple days ago. He took off in a hurry, though, didn't say where he was going. Mentioned something about the Hinckwells, though."

I (Isaac) jerk my head around to look hard at Sir William.

"Ugh. Might've known those Hinckwells were involved in this."

By the way, Mr Shawe, before I forget to ask, where did you say the dagger was found? Whereabouts was this wrecked caravan?

"I didn't say. The raided wagons were found hidden in the Mopag Forest."

Sir William Fane looks up.

"Well, whaddya know...

"I ain't seen one of these since before I was prospecting in the mountains beyond Brobric Pass. Symbol of the so-called Lion Knights, it is. I've heard they'd returned to Uland recently. Saw one in Bric'Lin a couple days ago. He took off in a hurry, though, didn't say where he was going. Mentioned something about the Hinckwells, though."

"The Hinckwells, huh? Could they be hiring the Lion Knights to raid the Shadeaux wagons? It's certainly worth looking into..."

"I didn't say. The raided wagons were found hidden in the Mopag Forest."

"You know, we're not too far from the Mopag Forest. Maybe we should check there after we're done in Bric'Lin"

"I ain't seen one of these since before I was prospecting in the mountains beyond Brobric Pass. Symbol of the so-called Lion Knights, it is."

"And what else did you find on your journey there, may I ask? Could you possibly share your knowledge of these Lion Knights with us?"

"You know, we're not too far from the Mopag Forest. Maybe we should check there after we're done in Bric'Lin"

"I think that would be a wise idea, young cleric.

Possibly a trip through the Brobric Pass also. De'kra voiced similar opinions to my own earlier when he pointed out that the Pass would be a suitable place for an ambush. Maybe it is worth an investigation, should we still be searching for information after our travels into the nearby forest."

I turn to Tomas.

"There's nothing wrong with that. Before you make a decision, I should tell you that the wreck has since been removed."

De'kra nodded, the Mopag forest could hold vital clues. "Path in forest there?" he clicked, "Map not show path, because path not good travel nor safe? Heroes and I need guide for forest?"

"And what else did you find on your journey there, may I ask? Could you possibly share your knowledge of these Lion Knights with us?"

William replies,

"I'm sorry, I can't tell you much more about them. One of the guys I knew back then had a dagger similar to this one, which he took as a trophy from a Lion Knight he defeated in battle. He was killed in a cave-in, though."

"There's nothing wrong with that. Before you make a decision, I should tell you that the wreck has since been removed."

"I see. Still, it wouldn't hurt to go and look around; maybe they overlooked something."

"Mr. Shawe, when and where are the next Shadeux caravans coming?"

De'kra nodded, the Mopag forest could hold vital clues. "Path in forest there?" he clicked, "Map not show path, because path not good travel nor safe? Heroes and I need guide for forest?"

I reply to De'kra.

"There is one rough trail through, that is not shown on most maps. It takes six Nights to get from Bric'Lin to Mopag."

"Mr. Shawe, when and where are the next Shadeux caravans coming?"

"You guys talk fast!

"Obviously, I can't give you that information."

"There is one rough trail through, that is not shown on most maps. It takes six Nights to get from Bric'Lin to Mopag."

"That's quite a hike." *huh* "Does the rest of the party think we should go?"

"Obviously, I can't give you that information."

"I understand."

De'kra nods, the path would be a lot more dangerous than the prior one. "Perhaps heroes and I first go to Emporium to collect Potions, in case heroes and I suffer damage in raids? Six nights of danger, best heroes and I prepare."

"That's quite a hike." *huh* "Does the rest of the party think we should go?"

"We are travelling in search of dangerous people. The more perilous corners of the map are perhaps the most likely to contain such dangers. Though a good strategy is the key, being brave and visiting these areas should be our goal."

"We are travelling in search of dangerous people. The more perilous corners of the map are perhaps the most likely to contain such dangers. Though a good strategy is the key, being brave and visiting these areas should be our goal."

"Good point, Ad-Hoh. And we will be able to sleep on the way. Let's go to the Mopag Forest, then!"

Hmm. What if we pool our funds together and rent ourselves a cart, then pretty it up with some Shadeaux insignia? We could take a trip down to Brobric and attempt to lure those bandits right to us!

Thormanil laughs

Personally, I can't think of anything at the Emporium that I'd be interested in purchasing now, but if you all are lookin' to restock, I've got no problems heading back there before we venture out. Then, in the morning, we break ground to Mopag?

The party decides the best course of action is to travel through the Mopag Forest, so I lead them to a break in the fence that separates the forest from the city. It's obvious that it isn't intended for heroes to travel through the forest, but at the same time, it's obvious that we aren't the first ones to try it.

"It will take four Nights to reach the site where the wreck was hidden."

6170640694_99ac6f07ed_b.jpg

We enter the Mopag Forest, where the foliage is so dense that neither moon nor stars can be seen.

"Let's go."

heroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.png

This time, the party hasn't even gone to sleep when there is a rustling in the trees. With a childish war cry, two humanoid warriors with hideously pale faces and glowing blue, white, and black eyes burst through the trees.

"Mopag Mutants!"

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

6170107165_65a2fd65d9_b.jpg

Enemies:

Mopag Mutant Swordsman

Type: Humanoid, Demon

Level: 6

Health: 20/20

Special:
Insanely Bright Glowing Eyes
- Causes a Blinded effect; the target is unable to use a physical attack for the next three turns or until the effect is remedied.

Drops: 1 Remedy

Mopag Mutant Spearman

Type: Humanoid, Demon

Level: 5

Health: 20/20

Special:
Home Field Advantage
- Lures the hero into a trap, causing a Bound effect; binds the target's feet for the next turn, making it unable to switch rows or attack with close-ranged weapons.

Drops: Smoke Bomb

Party:

heroica_character_avatar.png

Tomas (played by Captain Tamamono) (Dearly Beloved Party Leader)

Level 7 Cleric

Power:

Health:
15/15

Ether:
10/11

Gold:

Inventory:
Shadeaux Staff (WP: 5), Gold Staff (WP: 4), Potion (2), Remedy (3), Bedroll, Tonic (2), Bone, Grand Tonic, Fire Bomb, Shovel, Venom

6048306376_bab9d558d0_t.jpg

Cinna the Dark (played by darkdragon) (Party Second in Command)

Level 2 Mage

Power:

Health:
6/6

Ether:
6/6

Gold:

Inventory:
Shadeaux Staff (WP: 4), Quarterstaff (WP: 3), Amethyst Gem (Darkness), Potion, Shovel

6053565626_67f23d9d52_t.jpg

Thormanil Nihai (played by swills)

Level 2 Barbarian

Power:

Health:
9/9

Gold:

Inventory:
Shadeaux Twin Axes (WP: 4), Dull Greataxe (WP:3), Potion, Bottle of Mead, Bedroll

benji_carvenhall_-_icon.jpg

Benji Carvenhall (played by Flare)

Level 2 Ranger

Power:

Health:
7/7

Gold:

Inventory:
Shadeaux Bow (WP: 4), Bow (WP: 3), Potion, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll

Rogue.JPG

Dek'ra (played by Tanma)

Level 2 Rogue

Power:

Health:
8/8

Gold:

Inventory:
Shadeaux Dagger (WP: 5), Fang Dagger(WP:4), Bedroll, Potion, Venom

heroicaavatar.jpg

Ad-Hoh (played by ADHO15

Level 1 Mage

Power:

Health:
5/5

Ether:
5/5

Gold:

Inventory:
Shadeaux Staff (WP: 4), Rhabdomance Staff (WP:3), Potion, Emerald Gem (Wood)

heroica_2.jpg

Xander Unth'or (played by posades)

Level 2 Barbarian

Power:

Health:
9/9

Gold:

Inventory:
Shadeaux Hammer (WP: 4), Enigmatic Hammer (WP: 3), Potion, Mead, Bedroll

av-19700.jpg

Leo Aragon (played by JediAnakin)

Level 2 Knight

Power:

Health:
11/11

Gold:

Inventory:
Shadeaux Sword (WP: 4), Chaos Saber (WP:3), Leo Shield (SP:2), Potion

heroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.png

Party Leader, choose the order of action.

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone have acted.

Wha- Hey! Those eyes... So.. Thormanil forces himself to look away

Hurriedly, he shouts his suggestion to the group:

Front-row melees on the spearman! Get trapped and it's only one round lost, but get blinded and you're useless for three! Mages, the swordsman! Benji, you're the wildcard!

Thormanil prepares to attack the Mopag Mutant Spearman from the front row, assuming the party doesn't have other plans.