Shine

Hero Factory 2011

Yet SP seems to forget that, because Stringer, Bulk and Nex seem to mock Furno with Rocka for being the "new rookie" before they go to Quatros - obviously they know Rocka but that doesn't mean that he's part of Alpha 1.

Plus, if he is part of Alpha 1, why was he alone at the very beginning of SP?

Too bad BZP's not online, someone should ask Greg if Rocka is part of Alpha 1 or not.

If you could PM Greg that is.

Yet SP seems to forget that, because Stringer, Bulk and Nex seem to mock Furno with Rocka for being the "new rookie" before they go to Quatros - obviously they know Rocka but that doesn't mean that he's part of Alpha 1.

Plus, if he is part of Alpha 1, why was he alone at the very beginning of SP?

Too bad BZP's not online, someone should ask Greg if Rocka is part of Alpha 1 or not.

If you could PM Greg that is.

They just mock him because he's newer than they are, and because Rocka was deliberately modeled after Furno. I don't recall them ever actually calling Furno a rookie explicitly, even in jest.

Rookies can be on assignment by themselves, apparently, but there would be no point in having the designation "rookie" if you weren't still under supervision.

Greg doesn't have much to do with HF (so hopefully he wouldn't even answer the question) but I love that we don't have anyone to turn to. If we have conflicting pieces of information, it's up to us to decide what are the true courses of events; I love being part of HS01 because I can get a halfway decent discussion on this sort of thing, and eventually come up with a good sequence of events as to how things go. Obviously certain things end up being somewhat interpretive, but the simplest answer is find the most corroborating sources, and adapt the interpretation from that.

You do have a point, but I still think that Rocka is not a full member of Alpha 1 because there are many contradictions.

I'll take it as self-canon if it's good with everyponybody.

Okay, I guess the Rocka thing is settled. But my dear Dorké, you forgot about Evo and Nex.

Are they part of Alpha 1 team? They were sent as backup by Zib, does that mean that they are part of the team?

You do have a point, but I still think that Rocka is not a full member of Alpha 1 because there are many contradictions.

Okay, I guess the Rocka thing is settled. But my dear Dorké, you forgot about Evo and Nex.

Are they part of Alpha 1 team? They were sent as backup by Zib, does that mean that they are part of the team?

Oh, also this. Really, I don't think I've seen anything that hasn't explicitly said he's another member, just wording that could theoretically be interpreted otherwise.

Nex and Evo are definitely Alpha 1 members. Aside from Nex returning for 3.0 (and now Evo for 4.0 =P) Nex and Evo are grouped into a classification called "Rookie 1"; the obvious intention is for that to be paired with the Alpha 1. The way we treat that on BS01 is mostly as a catchall designation for any rookie under the supervision of Alpha 1. Maybe not right at the moment they're sent to assist (they were only created several hours before, looking at it) but they're definitely supposed to be members. The whole point of the HF story is the exploits of the Alpha 1 Team; any other Heroes that appear are peripheral, or if they're in the TV series, they're related to Alpha 1 somehow.

Chances are, we'll see them in the summer wave along with Stormer and Bulk and Harkness...

Okay, maybe not that last one, but I get the feeling we'll be getting a good dose of ALL of the heroes this year at different points.

BTW- Any chance I could get a brohoof?

Right, I think that's the last of the 2012 discussion moved to the 2012 discussion topic. Let's keep the discussion from here onward about the current sets, HeroRecon 3.0 and whatnot. :sweet:

On the 3.0 sets, I have a question. When I got the 2.0 heroes, I noticed that removing their headgear too often would weaken the grip of their heads. In short, their helmets kept falling off. Since the 3.0 uses the same style head, although with a different lid, do they also suffer this problem?

Edited by Tanma

On the 3.0 sets, I have a question. When I got the 2.0 heroes, I noticed that removing their headgear too often would weaken the grip of their heads. In short, their helmets kept falling off. Since the 3.0 uses the same style head, although with a different lid, do they also suffer this problem?

I haven't experienced that problem at all; however, with the 3.0 heroes I've experienced the opposite, in which the helmets are difficult to remove. Perhaps if they do loosen up like your 2.0 helmets have then they'll be just tight enough to attach securely, while loose enough to be removed more easily.

Out of curiosity, is the the heads that are being weakened or the headgear? Since the headgear is softer plastic than the heads I can more easily see it deforming slightly and thus becoming too loose for the heads. It's hard to imagine such problems in the heads themselves, which are the same sort of hard ABS plastic used for so many other LEGO parts.

I've had the same problem with the 2.0 helmets, but as mentioned before, not with the 3.0 animal helmets. The 3.0 helmets for me have been so secure I've pulled the head off when trying to remove the helmet.

Out of curiosity, is the the heads that are being weakened or the headgear? Since the headgear is softer plastic than the heads I can more easily see it deforming slightly and thus becoming too loose for the heads. It's hard to imagine such problems in the heads themselves, which are the same sort of hard ABS plastic used for so many other LEGO parts.

I'd definitely be surprised if it was the head piece or the helmet. I've tested my Surge 2.0 (who's helmet is very loose now) with a brand new middle detail piece from Stormer 2.0 and it was a lot stronger. I believe it's the detail pieces that are sandwiched between the head and helmet that loosen with time and use.

Edited by Rocketbilly

I'd definitely be surprised if it was the head piece or the helmet. I've tested my Surge 2.0 (who's helmet is very loose now) with a brand new middle detail piece from Stormer 2.0 and it was a lot stronger. I believe it's the detail pieces that are sandwiched between the head and helmet that loosen with time and use.

Well, that was what I meant when I said "headgear"-- the part that connects directly to the head. I was assuming that was what Tanma meant by "headgear" as well.

Well, that was what I meant when I said "headgear"-- the part that connects directly to the head. I was assuming that was what Tanma meant by "headgear" as well.

My bad then, I got mixed up. Sorry.

I would guess that it is the headgear(silver/gunmetal parts), as sometimes the visor part stays on while the "hat" falls off, while other times the whole thing falls off the head. Good to know that the 3.0s don't have that issue, but hopefully they aren't as hard to remove as the Toa Mata eyes. Now to figure out which 3.0 to get. I am fond of wolves...

I would guess that it is the headgear(silver/gunmetal parts), as sometimes the visor part stays on while the "hat" falls off, while other times the whole thing falls off the head. Good to know that the 3.0s don't have that issue, but hopefully they aren't as hard to remove as the Toa Mata eyes. Now to figure out which 3.0 to get. I am fond of wolves...

Bulk is great, I'd say perhaps with one flaw - he uses the thinner shouldered torso piece, which is fine and all, but it also forces the arms outwards more when they're just hanging at the side of the model. Because he has such bulky forearms with those blade pieces, it does make him look incredibly wide around the hip area when posed with is arms by his side. Apart from that, he's one of the best sets of the Summer wave, in my opinion.

Edited by Rocketbilly

You can always put some tissues in between. It tightens up the connection.

Parts with the double shafts should be disassembled by a straight pull, not be twisting the pieces.

In the example of the 2.0 Hero Heads, pull the head gear and helmet straight off the head, turn those two pieces and push the helmet off by applying pressure on the inner side of the helmet.

I know it can be hard to take 3.0 Hero Masks of the heads, it's not ideal. Anyway, always try to pull the parts apart with a straight motion.

Please let LEGO consumer service know if any parts break or fail in other ways.

cheers

Front aka

Erland, Part Design

Edited by Front

Parts with the double shafts should be disassembled by a straight pull, not be twisting the pieces.

In the example of the 2.0 Hero Heads, pull the head gear and helmet straight off the head, turn those two pieces and push the helmet off by applying pressure on the inner side of the helmet.

I know it can be hard to take 3.0 Hero Masks of the heads, it's not ideal. Anyway, always try to pull the parts apart with a straight motion.

Please let LEGO consumer service know if any parts break or fail in other ways.

cheers

Front aka

Erland, Part Design

Good to know.

When my brother went to the hospital to get some stitches, I thought he'd need some cheering up, so I drew this: LINK

I really like the geometry of the 2.0 design; it helps flesh out the figure.

When my brother went to the hospital to get some stitches, I thought he'd need some cheering up, so I drew this: LINK

I really like the geometry of the 2.0 design; it helps flesh out the figure.

Nice drawing! I like the 2.0 design's geometry too, even though I find designs with simpler contours (like the Toa Mata design) a lot simpler to draw. I've been trying to draw a lot of Hero Factory characters lately to try and discover my own style.

On a side note not strictly related to 2011, I was recently looking at some of the "side-characters" from Hero Factory and how they are built, so I could try to conceptualize more non-Hero, non-villain characters. But alas, Lucy and Makuro use distinctly out-of-proportion Rahkshi legs (Lucy's seem skewed a bit towards the top too, so they look like more realistic shins). Lucy has a lot of out-of-proportion parts on her legs, which is a shame since otherwise they're mostly actual Technic bricks and so could be used on a Hero Factory figure... even if, with the scale of most of the parts, it'd have to be a villain set.

On one hand, I like that these side characters have several parts based on actual LEGO parts, as it makes them fit in better with the set-based characters stylistically. On the other hand, in many cases because of the skewed proportions, building the characters remains impossible... that's a bit bothersome. Big Joe looks the most buildable, since his actual parts tend to be in proportion, although getting the colors right wouldn't be possible with existing pieces (maybe some of the other HF support characters with the same build could be made, though).

Edited by Aanchir

Sorry to bump this topic, but I was just checking the gallery on the Hero Factory website. It's really hard to get to, except through the Hero Pad. But anyway, I was really surprised to see that it has categories for HeroPad challenges up to Challenge 9. This is extremely disappointing, as there have been no new HeroPad challenges since Challenge 3 in March.

What do you think is holding up the later Hero Pad challenges? We already know Challenge 4 would have been Hero Recon Team-related, since it's tied to the HRT video featuring Merrick Fortis and Zib. But it's really odd that there haven't been any new challenges for so long. Do you suppose the HeroPad has been unsuccessful? If so, it's a real shame, because I really enjoyed the concept.

Edited by Aanchir

Question for owners of both Rocka XL and Witch Doctor, Is one or the other better? I really want to get Witch Doctor but I want to make sure.

And SNOT, (New Nickname) That's truly a lovely picture you drew for your brother.

Sorry to bump this topic, but I was just checking the gallery on the Hero Factory website. It's really hard to get to, except through the Hero Pad. But anyway, I was really surprised to see that it has categories for HeroPad challenges up to Challenge 9. This is extremely disappointing, as there have been no new HeroPad challenges since Challenge 3 in March.

What do you think is holding up the later Hero Pad challenges? We already know Challenge 4 would have been Hero Recon Team-related, since it's tied to the HRT video featuring Merrick Fortis and Zib. But it's really odd that there haven't been any new challenges for so long. Do you suppose the HeroPad has been unsuccessful? If so, it's a real shame, because I really enjoyed the concept.

Either that, or the web team is just damned lazy. They haven't even uploaded any comics since Comic 2. :sadnew:

Question for owners of both Rocka XL and Witch Doctor, Is one or the other better? I really want to get Witch Doctor but I want to make sure.

And SNOT, (New Nickname) That's truly a lovely picture you drew for your brother.

I like Rocka XL personally, if you don't have too much money get Rocka XL, you will maybe need to modify the shoulders.

Witch Doctor is a pretty damn good buy too, a bit too expensive though.

Either that, or the web team is just damned lazy. They haven't even uploaded any comics since Comic 2. :sadnew:

It's not so much laziness as it is a money issue; if you have a limited budget to develop certain things, you gotta make calls as to where that goes. I much prefer Recon updates to Hero Pad challenges, so I'm happy with it. The comics, however, I would like to see more of. Mostly just Comic 4. I know some people who know some people, so hooooopefully, we'll be able to see that sometime in the future.

I like Rocka XL personally, if you don't have too much money get Rocka XL, you will maybe need to modify the shoulders.

Witch Doctor is a pretty damn good buy too, a bit too expensive though.

Witch Doctor is a pretty fun set; if you have some VIP points, it becomes a very good deal (since everywhere BESIDES the LEGO story prices him at 35, as opposed to 30 >>), and well worth the price.

Can't speak for Rocka XL, but I would like to buy him at some point; Fire Lord, as an overall design, is really not that bad, and with some aesthetic improvements, makes Rocka XL look pretty interesting.

I don't own both, but my younger brother does, and I have to say that I prefer Witch Doctor. He's a really well-orchestrated design, even if his posability is somewhat limited to the point that his feet can't turn outward from his body. He's also extremely unique compared to Rocka XL-- while I expect TLG to stick to Fire Lord's build for at least a while longer, Witch Doctor's might not be seen again, at least not where it lends itself to such an amazing, bony aesthetic.

Also, I'm personally not a huge fan of Rocka XL, since the main improvements from Fire Lord's build (more solid-looking upper and lower legs, primarily) come at the cost of places where Rocka XL's design is in fact weaker (less posability for the lower arms due to the choice of upper arm joint, a less cohesive torso design, and spiky armor accents which make posing the figure take more effort).

It's not so much laziness as it is a money issue; if you have a limited budget to develop certain things, you gotta make calls as to where that goes. I much prefer Recon updates to Hero Pad challenges, so I'm happy with it. The comics, however, I would like to see more of. Mostly just Comic 4. I know some people who know some people, so hooooopefully, we'll be able to see that sometime in the future.

You bring up a somewhat odd issue. I wonder how much HRT content generation and planning takes place under the Design byME team and how much takes place under the Hero Factory team. After all, the story updates have been used to make almost all aspects of the product-- from delays to changes in the parts palette-- fit seamlessly with the Hero Factory story. But then, it might be Hero Factory's simpler and more flexible story that allows for this sort of seamless fit even without the HF team's leadership.

By the way, do you know what we failed to see in the latest HRT update? Changes in the naming and quality-assigning system for heroes. There are still no female names, you can still only assign your hero to be "on mission" with the six heroes from the 2.0 wave, and we still have the same absurd "favorite food" choices (not like those need as urgent an update, but I find it weird that with all the robot-related food items we have "Mexican" just thrown in there).

Witch Doctor is a pretty fun set; if you have some VIP points, it becomes a very good deal (since everywhere BESIDES the LEGO story prices him at 35, as opposed to 30 >>), and well worth the price.

Well, I'm talking from the viewpoint of the currency down here. In my own opinion it's overpriced here - Well, it's always overpriced here.