wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

How can LEGO create Lord of the Rings?

Chapter 1: Creator Buildings in modular-style

Chapter 2: Creator Creatures for huge armies

chapter 3: Customizer, your hour has come!

Chapter 4: Clever Connecting

Before we started these topic we got that feeling that the way for a possibility Middle-earth is closed up. The sets would be too huge and too expensive. LEGO could never to develop so many Minifigures....

Now we to know that creativity is the only way to develop LEGO Middle-earth. "3 in 1 style CREATOR"-sets are the key and bring us back to the good old LEGO rules. Also has shown us just "1x" creativity orc battle-pack the option for 128x different orc-minifigure variations.

After we got understand these new conception has the time come that we want to use it.

Let's to analyse just one of these important locations. I prefer for example the "Black Gate" of Mordor. At first we have to disassemble this location: We get 2x great towers, 2x walls, 2x small towers plus gate.

right ->to left

[great tower] - [wall] - [small tower + gate + small tower] - [wall] - [great tower]

We to pick the middle-part (gate plus 2x small towers). These part is for these location the "main-set" inclusive the important main-characters (minifigures, for example "Mouth of Sauron")

Now lets to analyse the other 4x parts (2x great towers, 2x walls). These 4x parts to get the same sizes and will be transformed into 1x modular "Creator"-set.

->Now we get these following effect:

If you want the Black Gate in a "small version" -than you have to buy just the "main-set" (the Black Gate inclusive 2x small towers)

If you want the complete Black Gate -than you have to buy 4x modular "Creator"-sets extra.

And LEGO has to developed just 2x sets!

Some people like HUGE battles. In my last Chepter (Customizer, your hour has come!) are described "creative battle-packs). :wink:

Now is your job to analyse the locations of Middle-earth (cities, fortresses....) and to think about "Clever Connecting".

To be continued

Elander

PS: I hope someone, who read this topic, has connections with the LEGO develop-team. I really believe these “thoughts” are very interesting (also the ideas and thoughts by all other users). It would be superb if someone could help and to show LEGO this topic.

Edited by Elander

The point is better to be made would be what would a 10 year old what, Darth Vader or a character from LOTR....odds are in Vader's favor, though some kids wouldn't care as long as it's minifig....heck you'll find LOTR figures fused with Toy Story ones ! :laugh:

It's also important to remember, kids love pirates, aliens, wizards and cartoon heroes....also like characters Robin Hood and The Lone Ranger.....LOTR might be a little too high brow for some children....like I said larger +16 sets would be better to keep those AFOL fans of the theme happy.

Exactly... wizards and Robin Hood... that's not a bad way to look at LOTR. I think that when the Hobbit comes out, you will see a lot of kids in the demographic that will definitely want some Hobbit or LOTR figure over Darth Vader. I think kids really do like elves and drarves and themes where there are clear-cut good guys/bad guys. If kids like fantasy castle theme, there's no reason they wouldn't love LOTR theme with it's epic battles, battling wizards, and super bad guys like the Nazgul (and do you doubt the appeal of their "winged steeds?").

You could have said the same thing about Harry Potter. They had all but discontinued the line... it was too dark, not enough vehicles, the content was getting too mature. Did it really still appeal to kids under 12? Well, they tried, and they got their answer... yes it did. Or, if it didn't, it still sold enough to be worthwhile.

chapter 3: Customizer, your hour has come!

Chapter 5: Let it shine

Do you know that guy. Is he cool, eh?

-He can shine!

In Middle-earth you can to meet many shining guys:

-Nazguls on Weathertop

-a shining Galadriel if she looks in their mirror

-dead guys in the Death Marshes

-aaand of course the King of the Dead and his army (1x “creatively” Battle-Pack, see chapter 3, would be epic). We all to known his hometown (Dwimorberg). Here it shines ever if comes visitors (at last our heroes Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli).

Woha, that city do we want.

Ok, what we need for that city? Shining bricks! –take the ghost. His body shines perfect. What we need too? Lucidly, -some houses! What do you thinking? Impossible? That city is too expensive?

Remember: “Creator”-houses are the key. LEGO has just to develop “1x” creator house. If we need 3x variations by this house –than we can to buy these creator house three times for 3x variations.

LEGO to develop “1x” creator house and has the option to sell it “3x”. Good business!

But what we are doing if we want “Minas Morgul”? Here it shines ever!

Remember: In this case we have to think about “Clever Connecting”.

-Let’s to analyse “Minas Morgul”. Damn, is that huge!

At first we have to disassemble this location. From the top-view looks Minas Morgul like a star with 5x prongs. -We to get a bridge plus main-gate, behind a tower coated with 2x wall-rings. -Outside a bigger wall,-inside a smaller wall.

Ok, the tower coated with the small wall-ring we to declare (inclusive modular bridge) as “main-set”. Here we put for that location the main-characters (for example the Witch King).

The big wall will be decompose in 5x parts (from the top-view these looks like prongs). In total we to get 6x parts (1x main-gate and 5x big walls). These 6x parts to get the same sizes and will be transformed into 1x modular creator set.

The bridge (from the main-set) is modular. These you can to put in front of the modular creator main-gate.

What is the result?

-LEGO has developed just 2x sets (1x main-set plus 1x creator set) and you have now more options to choose:

-If you want Minas Morgul in a “smaller-version” –than you have to buy only the “main-set” (the tower coated with the small wall-ring inclusive modular bridge).

-If you want a great diorama by the front of Minas Morgul –than you have to buy 3x creator sets extra [1x for the main-gate, 2x for big walls (left-/ and right side)].

If you want a complete Minas Morgul –than you have to buy 6x creator sets for a complete closed big wall.

In that case would LEGO to develop 2x sets –and could to sell 7x sets. Better business!

And if now LEGO for Minas-Morgul to develop only 1x “creatively” Battle-Pack (Chapter 3, Customizer -your hour has come!) –than (if you want every different orc variation), could LEGO additional to sell 32x “creatively” Battle-Packs.

That’s perfect business!

To be continued

Elander

Edited by Elander

Chapter 3: Customizer, your hour has come!

Chapter 6: Dynamic Bricking, hidden Easter eggs

Now we visit the shire. I love that place. Here is it beauty and peaceful. But unfortunately, just as little action-packed. No payable investment location. Damn, what we have to do?

No way -to keep the risk down. :sceptic:

We develop just “one” 3 in 1 creator hobbit hole. –we get three holes.

In single-form has every hobbit-hole a hole in the side. That hole can with a second hole be closed. In total shape that 3x single hobbit-holes one hill. Ok, we get in total a complete modular building. –A hill.

But what will happen if in that “one” 3 in 1 creator hobbit hole another construction plan is? For in total 4x creator hobbit-holes. And you can only with these four holes to build the “Brandy Hall”. :thumbup:

Yeah, what a surprise! That Easter egg was in not “1x” LEGO catalogue! (Only the construction plan we have found in the LEGO-box!) -Damn, now we to get the great Brandy Hall and we haven’t one other hobbit hole. Ok, let’s buy three creator hobbit-holes extra.

-At this time has LEGO selled to us 7x creator hobbit-holes! We have now a Brandy Hall and a beauty hill. But what is with the hobbits? Every time the same guys?

No! (Remember chapter 3): In that case we to put into these creator box 3 hobbits.

We have 7x holes a’ la 3 hobbits = 21 hobbits. Wow, that is a lot!

Now are in these creator box 3x different hairs, 3x different heads and 3x different torsos. Every head has 2x different faces and now we will see what we have:

3 (hairs) x 6(faces) x 3(torsos) = 56 variations! -Ok, that is enough! :thumbup:

LEGO has with 1x developed creator set no risk and we have fun! :sweet:

-But what we would need too for our shire?

Right! –off course “Bag End”! That would be a wonderful place for our main-characters (our collector-minifigures). Say hello to Bilbo.^^

But what do you think? What do you think about "Dynamic Bricking"? Where (in which location) could be the next hidden Easter egg? :wink:

To be continued

Elander

Edited by Elander

Something akin to a small piece of golden flex tube could be used as a Ring. Not to the proportions of an actual ring, that'd be too small, but enough so the fig can grip it, and it can be small enough to be seen as a ring.

If the key in POTC and other pirates themes can be that big, the bottom of it (in gold color) can clearly represent the ring and it'd be OK I think ...

I'm still skeptical of whether such a theme would be a success. However you slice it, Lord of the Rings is darker than any other license Lego has produced for. It may not be more violent than Pirates of the Caribbean or Star Wars, but it is heavier, with far less humor. And I don't know what Gryphon Ink is talking about in terms of it being popular with kids: I was at least thirteen before I really got into Lord of the Rings, and even then I couldn't find any friends my age with the same interest. Teens are a periphery demographic for Lego. That's the age most kids enter their dark ages, and few ever come out.

I'm not saying everyone that it would be a bad theme or Lego shouldn't do it, I have been saying it should be +16 sets - large, heavily detailed, and stacks of minfigs - perfect for that LOTR AFOL ! :wink:

I wrote early saying about wizards and Robin Hood.....yeah, I was talking about cartoons, Disney and even Bugs Bunny ! :blush:

Why Harry Potter was popular with children because Harry and crew started out at Hogwarts as children.....a no brainer there ! :wink:

LOTR in my opinion is an adult theme.....I know of no children having read any of the books and those books I don't believe would be on a primary schools library shelves.

To make LOTR popular with children, a TV series on some of characters would be required.....yes, that evil TV again.....but it works, look at what Clone Wars has done to the sales of Star Wars products.

But the kids in HP started at age 11, the top end of the usual LEGO range, and while I don't know any kids in the magic LEGO age range that have read the LOTR, I know MANY who've read the Hobbit... and that's ultimately what this is about, since the idea for a LEGO theme revolves around the release of, as I said before, two pretty much guaranteed blockbuster movies aimed at a younger audience than the LOTR.

I don't think a TV show is necessary... Star Wars is the only ongoing theme with one, and I wouldn't suggest a LOTR theme would be as popular as Star Wars... even HP wasn't nearly as popular as HP, but it does quite well, apparently, no TV show necessary.

Hi,

I don't post that often, normally just read the threads, but knowing a fair amount about Tolkien, the books, and the film adaptations, I have to say that The Hobbit would make a perfect licensed fit for Lego. In fact, if it didn't out perform something like Prince of Persia or even Pirates of the Caribbean, I would be pretty surprised.

Whilst I would love Lord of The Rings, its clearly a more adult aimed book, with some adult themes running through it, so I am unsure if Lego would take it up.

The Hobbit on the other hand is a pure children's fantasy, and would fit perfectly with the company's outlook.

It will be interesting to see if they do make a move for the licence.

My dream set up would be a Hobbit line of sets, with a couple of Lord of The Rings exclusives for the AFOLs.

Whilst I also like the Star Wars license, it's got to be better than a ninth Tie Fighter...

rich

But the kids in HP started at age 11, the top end of the usual LEGO range, and while I don't know any kids in the magic LEGO age range that have read the LOTR, I know MANY who've read the Hobbit... and that's ultimately what this is about, since the idea for a LEGO theme revolves around the release of, as I said before, two pretty much guaranteed blockbuster movies aimed at a younger audience than the LOTR.

I don't think a TV show is necessary... Star Wars is the only ongoing theme with one, and I wouldn't suggest a LOTR theme would be as popular as Star Wars... even HP wasn't nearly as popular as HP, but it does quite well, apparently, no TV show necessary.

Must be an American thing.....I haven't seen The Hobbit on the shelves of Target or Kmart here in Oz. If the Hobbit is more aimed towards children then sticker books, etc., purely aimed towards children are required for a theme to gain the kids interest - even Lego has found that out and look at all the DK books out there. :wink:

Remember HP mostly takes place in a school for wizards.....who didn't want to turn their most hated teacher into a frog ? :laugh:

Anyway, we need to wait to see if we get the word from Lego on a green light or not on this theme. :wink:

Sorry Fred but anyone who thinks the idea of TLG not liking to base their sets around a lot of vehicles is talking rubbish.

HP had 3 versions of the Hogwarts Express, 2 versions of the barely seen Knight Bus.

That's fine... I never said they don't "like" basing their sets on vehicles; they really do LOVE it, it makes coming up with sets in a variety of price ranges very easy for them.

But this is the point: it's not required to make a successful theme. HP is a successful theme despite not having a lot of vehicles, certainly not even particularly "play-able" vehicles in HP's case, and so few they had to repeat them over and over again. I'm not suggesting themes with a dearth of vehicles is easy, but there are more playable "vehicles" in LOTR, like battering rams and siege towers... frankly, nothing less than what the castle themes already offer plus "winged steeds" (if you know the "Wyverns" from the fantasy theme, you'll know what I mean... not some clunky "brick built" Nazgul) and even ships.

Other themes are also lacking in vehicles; castle, Prince of Persia (of course, that's selling like crap, but not because of a lack of vehicles); even the very successful POTC only has one non-ship vehicle. I think what happens is some themes certainly lend themselves to having a lot of vehicles, and vehicles are an easy set for TLG to make (and usually easy to make in a variety of price ranges), but they certainly aren't necessary for a successful theme.

Lego is a boys toy and boys love cars, and spaceships and trains. They don't want to race around Gandalfs cart.

Yes I'm putting up obstacles but they are most definately not bunk!

You're entitled... I enjoy discussing it... sometimes people get bent out of shape on the internet when people disagree with them, but EB is quite the reasonable place, I think.

Anyway, kids may not want to race around in Gandalf's cart, but they'd love to play with the horses and winged steeds. Kingdoms doesn't have cars, spaceships, or trains; POTC has none of those, either, nor did the non-POTC pirate themes. All I'm saying is that it's a little of both - kids like vehicles where vehicles are appropriate; TLG makes copious amounts of vehicle sets when possible because it's easier for them... what I suggested is it's simply not a requirement for a successful theme, it's just something that makes it easy for TLG.

Must be an American thing.....I haven't seen The Hobbit on the shelves of Target or Kmart here in Oz.

I've seen them at Target... doubt I'd see it at Kmart; I read the Hobbit in third grade (age 7 to 8); my son read it a few years ago... I don't know exactly how old he was, but he's only 12 now. I also want to reiterate that I never suggested LOTR would be as popular as SW, but I'd be willing to bet it would be at least as popular as HP, given the release of the movies.

I also want to point out I'm not arguing that TLG will likely release a LOTR theme... I don't think they will, I just think the reasons people are giving is wrong; in a case like this, it almost always boils down to a simple matter of money - in this case, the cost of the license.

Another EDIT: I also want to mention that there were sticker books for LOTR, even if they weren't popular; I will be willing to bet you will see a lot of marketing towards younger people next time around, including things like McDonalds or Burger King toys.

Yet another EDIT: I just found that Burger King, in fact, had LOTR give-aways in their kids meals. :sceptic:

Edited by fred67

What a fascinating discussion! I was wondering where all the castle fans were! :laugh: It's a pity there are no official confirmations of this theme yet.

It's sad the company is privately held because if Lego does make the choice to acquire the LOTR as a license, I am sure the revenue will more than double and it would be a good time to invest! :wink:

I mean who doesn't want a LOTR theme? I wanted one when I was a kid, wanted one even more when I saw the movies, and have been wishing for it even more ever since the Fantasy Era sets came out! It is the ultimate modern fantasy; the inspiration behind countless franchises in the videogame and war gaming worlds and one of the most sought-after and adrently followed franchises of all time.

If Lego tap into that well there is no telling how far they can go with it! Think to the original release of starwars but bigger given the advanced level of online communities and number of involved AFOL's! :wub:

All I have to say is: Give me an army of orcs or Uruk-Hai+/- a trool or two and I will be the happiest AFOL in the world! :cry_happy:

Picture this in Lego form:

m1181423_99121499005_EvilFightingUrukMain_873x627.jpg

I hope this is just a rumor. We have enough issues already with licenses messing with classical themes. SW has done much harm to space and thankfully POTC was not very successful. We don't need Castle to have to deal with this problem as well.

LOTR in my opinion is an adult theme.....I know of no children having read any of the books and those books I don't believe would be on a primary schools library shelves.

Dude, i started reading The Fellowship of the Ring when i was 9 or 10 - right after i finished The Hobbit. I just couldn't get enough of Tolkein's Middle Earth. :grin: And guess who introduced me to both those books? That's right, my school librarian, bless her! And i know my best freind at the time was champing at the bit to get his hands on those books after me. I really don't think we ought to underestimate the ability and desire of children to explore books that are deemed "too old" for them.

Whilst I also like the Star Wars license, it's got to be better than a ninth Tie Fighter...

Haha, so true! :laugh:

And I don't know what Gryphon Ink is talking about in terms of it being popular with kids: I was at least thirteen before I really got into Lord of the Rings, and even then I couldn't find any friends my age with the same interest.

The fact that you didn't like the books until later doesn't mean no kid ever did. I was hugely into the Hobbit and LOTR before I was in double digits. My mother read the whole series to me before I was six (twice for the Hobbit), and I read it for myself at eight or nine. I probably didn't understand every word of it at that age, but I sure was interested. By fifth grade (11-ish) I had gone through LOTR myself, and so had several of my best friends. My daughter, who is about to turn ten and just started fifth grade, read the Hobbit last year. LOTR was on the recommended summer reading list for her reading level this vacation, but it's still too dry for her taste - but she loved the Hobbit. Fred67 and others have said they like the books at this age as well.

I don't mean to say that every single kid on the playground loves these books. I know a lot of kids that don't read at all and are only interested in what's on the Disney Channel. Those kids will be covered when the Hobbit movies, which are largely assumed to be two of the biggest tentpole events of 2012 and 2013, start to get advertised on the boob tube. Any toy vendor who hasn't bought into the the Hobbit merchandising empire at that point will be wondering what they did wrong in past lives to deserve such ill fortune.

The Lexile Framework puts the Hobbit at 1000L, which is 6-7th grade reading level. Scholastic Books considers both the Hobbit and LOTR "Interest Level 9-12, Grade Level 8.1" which means, roughly, that while they expect kids to be able to read it in 8th grade, they expect them to be interested in it long before then.

(Everyone who's following the debate, remember: the Indiana Jones movies, Pirates of the Caribbean series, Prince of Persia, and every Harry Potter movie since Goblet of Fire have been rated PG-13. In other words, kids in the age range that TLG most aggressively targets were not "supposed to be" interested in them - and yet, all of those were Lego themes.)

Lightningtiger: most primary school library associations do, in fact, recommend having both Hobbit and LOTR on the shelves for seventh and eighth-graders and advanced readers in lower grades. In response to the fact that you don't see LOTR in K-Mart and Target - um, K-Mart and Target aren't real well known for their taste in literature. I don't see Catch-22, Fahrenheit 451, or Pablo Neruda's Garden of Odes on Target's shelves, either. (Or Citizen Kane in the movie section, for that matter). But all of those books are perennial best-sellers, and LOTR and the Hobbit are, according to Wikipedia, the second and third best selling books of all time (excluding religious works and certain political books which have been distributed in numerous samizdat editions). The Hobbit has been listed as #3 on the Nielsen "Evergreen" list of books that every bookseller MUST stock because they have been the most consistent sellers year in and year out since Nielsen started tracking book sales.

You're entitled... I enjoy discussing it... sometimes people get bent out of shape on the internet when people disagree with them, but EB is quite the reasonable place, I think.

You're right Fred, EB is usually a good place to have a rational discussion where people don't get too emotional. (Well maybe with t he exception of the SW forum! :laugh: )

Actually one of the biggest obstacles would probably be in obtaining the license itself, there is so much wrangling between different parties over the rights to these films that it may be difficult for TLG to get it. I doubt they pay a great deal for licenses so I wouldn't expect that to be an issue but who do they pay??

I will just raise one other issue that I think could be a small factor. The SW theme has been a staple range of the toy universe for thirty years now and still going strong. When they released action figures from the LOTR films they were an abyssmally poor seller unfortunately. This is by no means an indicator it won't happen because the HP action figs don't do a lot better and neither did POTC but it could be another factor in the release being limited in the number of sets and waves.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to see this theme happen. Just don't think it will.

Chapter 3: Customizer, your hour has come!

Chapter 6: Dynamic Bricking, hidden Easter eggs

Chapter 7: Global Bricking, connecting skills

-Impossible thinks will be possible

We know people they want it big and we know people they want it small. And LEGO want no risk. :classic:

Is it possible that all to connect?

-“Clever Connecting” and “Dynamic Bricking” has shared us that skill. That skill based of CREATOR. And CREATOR is the key to create a Middle-earth for all people. Someone to want the complete location and others want only the main-buildings. The “Black Gate” and the “Shire” were two examples.

Our journey goes now to big complex-systems like “Isengard”.Here we will find a fascinating battle. The “ents” attacks Isengard. In LEGO-style for the most people too huge and too expensive. What we have in that case to do? Than we know: Some guys want it big! Some guys like locations in huge UCS-styles. –Let’s give these that option. Let’s to begin to give these abstract area a LEGO-style.

Global Bricking, be creatively and keep parts small:

1)At first we have to analyse that location.

We get “Orthanc” -the black tower, a wall-ring, some gates, excavations with construction equipment, a dam break, water, a lot of ents and orcs.

Witch skills we have now in that case to use?

2)We have to think about “Clever Connecting” (chapter 4)

What have to be the “main-set”: –The “Orthanc-tower” That is a wonderful place for our main-characters. Good day Saruman. :sweet:

The wall and the gates gets the same size and will be transformed into 1x “3 in 1 CREATOR set”. –the modular gates and the walls shape the wall-ring. The wall-ring is variable. In that case it is your own choose which diameter it has. Also it is your choose how many gates Isengard need. For a complete closed wall-ring, we to need minimal 8x creative wall-ring parts.

3)Now we to use “Dynamic Bricking” (chapter 6)

Let’s to design a creator “excavations with construction equipment” set. ->We get 3x different variations.

Attention: 2x creator “excavations”-sets plus 1x creator “wall ring” set give us the right elements for the dam. ->We create with these sets the “breaking dam”. (The “breaking dam” is our hidden Easter egg).

Also is the dam modular and can with the wall be connected.

4)Ents

We need 1x creator brickbuilt ent set (chapter 2). ->now we get 3x different ents. (The bodys are the same, but the marks are different; long nose, different large hands, … what you want).

5)Orcs

We have created 2x different creator building sets. In these sets we put 3x flexible orcs (chapter 3). How many variations we will have?

3(different helmets) x 3(different heads) x 3(different torsos) x 2(different faces pro head) = 56 variations

If you want a complete Isengard-building that you to get “creator” sets in total:

7(creator wall-ring parts) + 3(breaking dam parts) + 3(excavation-parts) = 13x creator sets

13(creator sets) x 3(orcs) = 39 flexible orcs ->Nice army! :devil:

56 variations > 39 flexible orcs ->suits!

So, what offers that result? What options we have?

LEGO has for Isengard developed 3x building sets (1x “main-set”(Orthanc-tower) and 2x different creator sets). That collection will be add with 1x brickbuilt creator creature (ents) set. For LEGO no high risk because:

You have now more options to choose:

If you want it small and only the Orthanc-tower –than take only the Orthanc-tower.

->developed 3x creator sets- shells 0x creator sets ->for LEGO bad business

If you want to add Isengard with some creator sets for a nice battle –than take some creator sets extra (for example 2x ent-variations, 2x wall-ring parts and 2x excavation parts).

->developed 3x creator sets -sells 6x creator sets ->for LEGO good business

If you have any money and you love Lord of the Rings –than you have with these 3x developed sets the option to create your own complete UCS Isengard. (3x ent-variations, 7x wall-ring parts, 3x excavation parts and 3x dam parts)

->developed 3x creator sets –sells 16x creator sets ->for LEGO perfect business

I hope my English is good enough and you can to understand my text. Yoda would say: much to learn do you have! Ok, but I believe my messages have you arrived.

With many examples from different locations I’d described possibilities based of the CREATOR-series. And I really believe Middle-earth is, thanks CREATOR, a modern turbo money-machine!

Forecast last chapter: Effective designing for Middle-earth

Elander

Edited by Elander

:wall: To those living in the USA, I'm in Adelaide, South Australia....please don't use the merchandising of US chains and US education regs etc., to compare to little old Oz - our stores are different and each state of Australia has different education regs too.

Now 'gabe', has read it (LOTR) and so has many other people of all walks of life, depending on ones interest or passion....over the days writing in this topic I have seen the handful with a strong passion for this theme. So maybe those same person's might want try their hand at MOC building us what they would like to see. And you may never know who might be watching either ! :wink:

Actually one of the biggest obstacles would probably be in obtaining the license itself, there is so much wrangling between different parties over the rights to these films that it may be difficult for TLG to get it. I doubt they pay a great deal for licenses so I wouldn't expect that to be an issue but who do they pay??

Assuming that TLC is pursuing a license for the MOVIE (as opposed to the books), the license would be with New Line Studios, the company that is producing the movie.

The legal issues that New Line ran into with trying to get the movie rights were a lot more complicated, because MGM owned part of the rights, and MGM was in the midst of a bankruptcy mess.

For any toy company looking to make Hobbit-based merchandise from the movie, the situation is much simpler. They would be dealing directly with New Line Studios, not with the Tolkien estate, or MGM, or any other parties.

I hope this is just a rumor. We have enough issues already with licenses messing with classical themes. SW has done much harm to space and thankfully POTC was not very successful. We don't need Castle to have to deal with this problem as well.

I wouldn´t mind if they make a license for a couple of years.

I haven´t noticed it until now, but your avatar is an elf emblem, right? :sweet:

You have posted great ideas, the ones I like the most are the Creator types of buildings and the connectivity in sets.

Well done. :thumbup:

Dude, i started reading The Fellowship of the Ring when i was 9 or 10 - right after i finished The Hobbit. I just couldn't get enough of Tolkein's Middle Earth. :grin: And guess who introduced me to both those books? That's right, my school librarian, bless her! And i know my best freind at the time was champing at the bit to get his hands on those books after me. I really don't think we ought to underestimate the ability and desire of children to explore books that are deemed "too old" for them.

Haha, so true! :laugh:

I read LOTR when I was a kid too after I read The Hobbit. I think quite a lot of kids did, nothing like on the scale of Harry Potter but still quite a lot and nearly everyone has seen at least some of the films.

I think the biggest problem with this topic and the debate is people are saying "I read it at this young age etc etc". Yes you did, as a kid. Past tense. Lego isn't looking at past tense. It's looking at present and future. Who is reading the Hobbit and LoTR at a large rate like you guys have been back then? How long has it been since LoTR has been in the spotlight since the movies? And is the Hobbit worth banking on like past licenses that seemed would be a success but weren't?

-Omi

I think the biggest problem with this topic and the debate is people are saying "I read it at this young age etc etc". Yes you did, as a kid. Past tense. Lego isn't looking at past tense. It's looking at present and future. Who is reading the Hobbit and LoTR at a large rate like you guys have been back then? How long has it been since LoTR has been in the spotlight since the movies? And is the Hobbit worth banking on like past licenses that seemed would be a success but weren't?

-Omi

Yeah I agree I think it's a bit late, during the LOTR movie releases would have been a better time. Perhaps they'll test the water with some Hobbit releases to tie in with the film and then depending on how they do role out LOTR afterwards... Or perhaps they won't do any Tolkein based Lego, nobody here actually knows still.

Chapter 8: Effective designing for Middle-earth

In Germany we say: “Alls things has one and –just the bratwurst two”. Now comes the end for my column “How can LEGO create Middle-earth”.

We walked around Middle-earth and have learned how we have to create that world. With new skills we have build different locations for everyone. –For everyone? –Is everyone a Lord of the Rings fan? –Yoda would say: Much to do, we still have!

Creator has given us the skills to be creative. We can design every location without to develop many LEGO sets. But in that case we have to design these locations creative and effective. We have to catch the children and their parents.

A little boy and his daddy are neutral persons and they have never heard about “Lord of the Rings”. They to be located in a LEGO store and the shelves are filled with different themes. Woha! –Here is a large choice. The boy to need action because he loves action and his daddy need a happy boy. :sweet: -A dragon aquiver his attention…

Middle-earth is filled to capacity with action and special-effects. Our task is now these both features to transform into our developed creative LEGO sets.

Let’s start our last journey to Middle-earth. At first we visit Smaugs cave (Hobbit-theme). Who we to meet? Smaug the dragon and a invisible ringbearer, named Bilbo. ->we get in LEGO-style:

Bilbo –a complete transparent minifigure

Smaug –a nice brickbuilt dragon

Ok, what we have to do? Right! –The dragon to need flair. -Give him orange “light” for his eyes and his mouth.

Daddy thinks: “Aha, that LEGO-box is a nice toy for my little boy. Those little special-effects are interesting. I kind of like it”

Now has a “balrog” quiver little boy’s attention. That looks like a bit more action. In that case we get in LEGO-style:

Gandalf with magic wand:

-the top of these wand can per a LED-light to glow. That function has to be design.

A brickbuilt brighter balrog:

Red-/orange-/yellow-transparent bricks have to be connected with a “brick-light” in connection with other black- and dark grey bricks.

And the bridge with collapse-function.

WOW! The little boy is excited and his daddy is intent. Nice action and some special-effects. –bought!

But what is about the buildings? Every building has to be especially effective! We know shining buildings (chapter 5)….

[Lothlorien has to be created: LEGO develop 1x Creator tree house ->we get 3x different variations

-The boles are same, just some branches and the houses looks different. The steps will be roofed with normal bricks and BLUE-SHINING bricks. ]

….and now we want buildings where we discover action:

Helms Deep” –good example: -here we will find a exploding wall!

What we have to do? –at first to analyse these location and to figure out which skills we have to use:

In these case very simple: -we declare the “main-set” ->Logical, the Hornburg. That is the best set for our main-characters (example: King Theoden).

And what is about the wall? ->Logical, modular bricking (chapter 1). 4x modular sets in series are long enough. In that modular set are 2x “flexible” rohirrim-soldiers (chapter 3).

What we have now to do?

(Chapter 6, Dynamic Bricking) 2x modular wall-sets bring enough good bricks for a nice exploding function. 2x modular wall sets will be transformed into 1x exploding wall set. That modular exploding wall set (hidden Easter egg) will be longer as a normal wall-set.

-what is the result?

-LEGO has developed 2x sets (Hornburg/modular wall) and we have to choose how many we want. For LEGO a “win” – “win” situation.

For a complete Helms Deep we would buy:

-the Hornburg (main-set)

-2x normal modular walls

-(hidden Easter egg) 2x modular walls for exploding wall

These skills are to use for Minas Tirith (no panic; for a complete LEGO developed Minas Tirith is 1x wall-ring, some houses and the citadell enough). Here we get for example some exploding houses. And that is your homework. How would you create a commercial Minas Tirith? Which skills would you use? I am very agog about your result!

So, our journey has now ended. I hope you had a bit fun and liked my column. We know now that a LEGO-Middle-earth technical possible and very lucrative is. I just hoping that someone from the LEGO-develop team has read that column.

Thanks for reading

Elander

Edited by Elander