wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

I think LEGO Lord of the Rings has to based of a new modular-set theme. It's time for a new kind of set-revolution.

I mean like the modular exclusiv city houses just in smaller versions. Why a complete Minas Tirith or Helms Deep set if LEGO could produce this locations in several sets.

For example Moria: (3x modular-sets)

-The gate and the Giant Octopus of Moria

Moria Gate (luminous stickers in dark) with collapse function, LEGO created (brickbuilt) Giant Octopus

-Balin's Tomb (Balins mausoleum)

inclusive Frodo with Sting (LED lights up)

-The Bridge of Khazad-dûm

Gandalf with magic wand (LED lights up)

LEGO brickbuilt Balrog (red/black bricks, inclusive red/orange transparent bricks for LED lights up)

Bridge with collapse function

What do you thinking? Is that system realistic?

Though it would be NICE, I don't see it happening.

LEGO seems to have adopted this "get in, bash out a bunch of sets and get out" mentality with licensed themes lately and I'm afraid it would probably have a similar attitude with any LOTR line.

We'd probably end up with a dozen sets with Frodo in them (much like with Jack Sparrow in POTC) and a pile of half-baked/half-built "sets" that require a massive investment in bulk parts to make them look even somewhat realistic...and they probably would come out in colours that aren't readily available in bulk, requiring multiple purchases of the same sets to 'flesh them out', so to speak.

If LEGO really LISTENED to the fans when it came to set development, it would probably work out okay but, instead, they seem to grasp the germ of the idea, while ignoring the more important DETAILS of the ideas.

A shame, really. I know that for myself, if there WAS a LOTR line and it was done WELL, I'd probably drive myself into the poorhouse collecting everything even remotely connected to it. Whereas if it's done but not done WELL, I might just focus on picking up some of the character minifigs and some of the cooler creatures, not worrying too much about the 'sets' per se.

'a LOTR series would certainly please afol communities the world over'.....really and all Lego sets are for AFOLs eh ?

This first as we all know is a child's toy and we as AFOLs just extend it by MOCing creations, Lego will only release a licensed theme if children want it....hopefully....remember Speed Racer ! :tongue:

I have been told by a secret source that there is NO LOTR in the first half of 2012.....and that is all I was able to find out too.

You fans of LOTR might be lucky in the end.....we do not know about any second half releases ! :wink:

'a LOTR series would certainly please afol communities the world over'.....really and all Lego sets are for AFOLs eh ?

This first as we all know is a child's toy and we as AFOLs just extend it by MOCing creations, Lego will only release a licensed theme if children want it....hopefully....remember Speed Racer ! :tongue:

I have been told by a secret source that there is NO LOTR in the first half of 2012.....and that is all I was able to find out too.

You fans of LOTR might be lucky in the end.....we do not know about any second half releases ! :wink:

ooooooh!!!! :sweet:

Imagine something that resembles it. :cry_happy:

Imagine how many zeroes you'd be writing on that check. :wink::laugh:

Imagine how many zeroes you'd be writing on that check. :wink::laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

For sure it would be a big check. :cry_sad:

I would rather have a Heroica Theme, because it would cost less and be more Original.

Though it would be NICE, I don't see it happening.

LEGO seems to have adopted this "get in, bash out a bunch of sets and get out" mentality with licensed themes lately and I'm afraid it would probably have a similar attitude with any LOTR line....

....If LEGO really LISTENED to the fans when it came to set development, it would probably work out okay but, instead, they seem to grasp the germ of the idea, while ignoring the more important DETAILS of the ideas.

Ok, I hope (at least) one from the LEGO-development read your post and will reconsider this procedure (problem). I thing our ideas are too good and very very economic.

Pay attention! We still have some aces more in the hole. :wink:

How can LEGO create Middle-earth?

Chapter 1: Creator Buildings in modular-style

First; -as far as we know are the locations (Helms Deep, Minas Tirith, Edoras, .....) to big for LEGO-sets. But this is not more the problem because we know that "modular-composite sets" this huge location to add for the most part.

So what's now the catch? -Right! LEGO would never produce so many LotR-sets.

-I love these CREATOR-series. <-here for example a house in a 3-in-1 style. You can built a house in three variations. Superb! :thumbup:

Back to LotR.

Ok, give every location a main-set. Two examples: Edoras - the Golden Hall. Lothlorien - Caras Galadhon. In these "main-sets" are located the "main-characters".

Now has Lego to give these locations a set in a 3-in-1 style with lesser famous characters (just soldiers and/or civilians). For Lothlorien a treehouse for three several variations. For Edoras a "3-in-1 set" for a house, city gate and a city wall. The city gate and city wall are modular.

So, at the time has lego just 4 sets produced. And now want every LotR-fan for these huge locations at least 3x "3-in-1 (modular) sets". And now begins LEGOs buisness with LEGO LotR. (And everybody know: Tolkiens World is HUGE) :wink:

I hope somebody from LEGO read these posts here. That could be later more as important...

The next ideas will coming soon.

Elander

Edited by Elander

Ok, I hope (at least) one from the LEGO-development read your post and will reconsider this procedure (problem). I thing our ideas are too good and very very economic.

Pay attention! We still have some aces more in the hole. :wink:

First; -as far as we know are the locations (Helms Deep, Minas Tirith, Edoras, .....) to big for LEGO-sets. But this is not more the problem because we know that "modular-composite sets" this huge location to add for the most part.

So what's now the catch? -Right! LEGO would never produce so many LotR-sets.

-I love these CREATOR-series. <-here for example a house in a 3-in-1 style. You can built a house in three variations. Superb! :thumbup:

Back to LotR.

Ok, give every location a main-set. Two examples: Edoras - the Golden Hall. Lothlorien - Caras Galadhon. In these "main-sets" are located the "main-characters".

Now has Lego to give these locations a set in a 3-in-1 style with lesser famous characters (just soldiers and/or civilians). For Lothlorien a treehouse for three several variations. For Edoras a "3-in-1 set" for a house, city gate and a city wall. The city gate and city wall are modular.

So, at the time has lego just 4 sets produced. And now want every LotR-fan for these huge locations at least 3x "3-in-1 (modular) sets". And now begins LEGOs buisness with LEGO LotR. (And everybody know: Tolkiens World is HUGE) :wink:

I hope somebody from LEGO read these posts here. That could be later more as important...

The next ideas will coming soon.

Elander

Is a VERY good idea, IMO. :thumbup:

Some of these ideas are very good but the problem is these ideas call for a lot of sets and look at how many PotC has had?

It all comes down to how much of the lego demographic are LOTR fans and compared to SW I think it's nowhere near. SW has the cartoon and this is whats keeping it so relevant.

TLG will not plan that many sets in advance of playsets that didnt see much action (lothlorien and the Golden hall). Sorry to be so negative again but I just don't see this line making sense in the format we would like to see it.

If it did happen then the only sets I could see from the LOTR films being made would be

Wethertop (Frodo, Sam, Aragorn and 2 Wraiths)

Khazad-dum (Gandalf, Balrog)

Helms deep (Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Theoden, 2 Uruk-Hai)

Bag end (Gandalf, Frodo, bilbo)

Shelobs lair (Shelob, Frodo, Sam, Gollum)

This would be a possible 1st wave

Hi, :sweet:

Some of these ideas are very good but the problem is these ideas call for a lot of sets and look at how many PotC has had?

I wrote about just 4x sets for two complete peoples. Modular sets to combinate with "3 in 1" Creator-sets is fantastic. LEGO have to develop a few but effective sets. And you can with many of them create these huge locations.

It all comes down to how much of the lego demographic are LOTR fans and compared to SW I think it's nowhere near. SW has the cartoon and this is whats keeping it so relevant.

No problem. I believe LotR don't need a cartoon. If children see these dudes in LEGO-style, than they will love them without to watched the movies.

TLG will not plan that many sets in advance of playsets that didnt see much action (lothlorien and the Golden hall). Sorry to be so negative again but I just don't see this line making sense in the format we would like to see it.

The "Modular-system" is a snowball system (pyramid scheme) and will happen. Many dudes would to built with these "3 in 1 modular creator sets" a complete city (Minas-Tirith without rocks, that would be too heavy)^^. After that would LEGO to develop more huge areas (locations) with just two sets.

Come on. Don't chicken out!

LotR will work. :sweet:

Seeing as Elander keeps on posting ideas for set, I thought I would show mine. (This is gonna be one big post):

LOTR LEGO Set Ideas

Fellowship of the Ring:

Balin’s Tomb:

Minifigs: Aragorn, Gimli, Boromir, Pippin, Moria Goblin (x3), Cave Troll, Skeletons with helmets (x3).

Components: Balin’s Tomb door, Balin’s Tomb, pillars. (Possibly done in the same style as the Chamber of Secrets set)

Accessories: Aragorn’s sword, Gimli’s axe (special mould), Boromir’s sword and shield, Pippin’s sword and backpack, Moria Goblin sword (x3), Cave Troll’s hammer, random axes and Orc swords for skeletons.

Cost: $89.99

Note: All Moria Goblin’s accessories (including hair) must be special moulds specifically for that character.

Amon Hen:

Minifigs: Aragorn, Boromir, Frodo, Lurtz, Uruk-Hai Scouts (x2).

Components: The Seeing Seat tower, trees (x4).

Accessories: Aragorn’s sword, Boromir’s sword and shield, Sting, Lurtz’s bow, Uruk-Hai sword, shield, and helmet.

Cost: $59.99

Note: All of Frodo, Lurtz and the Uruk-Hai’s accessories (including Lurtz’s hair) must be special moulds specifically made for these characters.

The Gates of Moria:

Minifigs: Gandalf the Grey, Frodo, Merry, Legolas.

Components: The Gates of Moria (set in a buildable rock frame), trees (x2), buildable Watcher in the Water.

Accessories: Gandalf’s sword, staff and hat, Sting, Merry’s sword, Legolas’s bow and White Knives.

Cost: $39.99

Note: Legolas’s hair is a special mould, similar to Jack Sparrow’s in that the Hair and quiver are one piece.

Attack on Weathertop:

Minifigs: Aragorn, Frodo, Sam, Nazgul (x2).

Componets: Ruins (x4), one stone Cave Troll, campfire.

Accessories: Aragorn’s sword, Sting, Nazgul sword (x2), one Nazgul Morgul dagger.

Cost: $24.99

Note: Nazgul Morgul dagger must be a special mould specifically for that character.

Battle of theLast Alliance:

Minifigs: Elrond (in armour), Isildur, Elven swordsman (x1), Numenor swordsman (x1).

Components: Buildable Sauron, small mountain side.

Accessories: Sauron’s mace, broken Narsil, Elven sword (x1), Gondorian sword (x1).

Cost: $12.99

The Two Towers:

Helm’s Deep: The Hornburg:

Minifigs: King Theoden, Rohan swordsman (x3), Uruk-Hai Berserker, Uruk-Hai swordsman (x2) and crossbowman (x1).

Components: Gate section with small wall, The Horn of Helm Hammerhamd tower, Uruk-Hai battering ram.

Accessories: King Theoden’s sword, Rohan swordsman sword, shield and helmet, Uruk-Hai Berserker sword and helmet, Uruk-Hai swordsman and crossbowman helmets, armour, swords, shields and crossbow.

Note: All Rohan and Uruk-Hai accessories (except the crossbow) must be special moulds specifically for that character.

Helm’s Deep: The Deeping Wall:

Minifigs: Aragorn (Helm’s Deep design), Legolas, Gimli, Haldir, Elven warrior (x1), Uruk-Hai Berserker (x2), Uruk-Hai swordsman (x2) and crossbowman (x1).

Components: The Deeping Wall, two Uruk-Hai ladders.

Accessories: Aragorn’s sword, Legolas’s bow, quiver and White Knives, Gimli’s axe, Elven sword (x2) and bow (x2), Uruk-Hai Berserker helmet and sword, Uruk-Hai swordsman and crossbowman helmet, armour, sword (x2), shield (x2) and crossbow, Uruk-Hai bomb (x2).

Note: Haldir’s hair, Elven helmets, swords and bows must be a special mould specifically for that character.

The Fall of Isengard:

Minifigs: Merry, Pippin, Saruman, Grima Wormtounge.

Components: Orthanc, Orc mill, buildable Treebeard.

Accessories: Merry’s sword, Pippin’s sword, Saruman’s staff, giant rock for Treebeard.

Cost: $49.99

Note: Sarumam’s staff must be a special mould specifically for that character.

Warg Attack:

Minifigs: Aragorn, King Theoden, Sharku, Orc rider (x1).

Components: Buildable Rohan home, trees (x2), horse (brown, x1), horse (white x1), Warg (x2).

Accessories: Aragorn’s sword, King Theoden’s sword, Orc sword (x2).

Note: The Orc swords must be special mould specifically for that character. The Wargs must be all new animals.

The Taming of Smeagol:

Minifigs: Frodo, Sam, Gollum.

Components: Buildable rock cliff, campfire.

Accessories: Sting, Sam’s sword.

Note: Gollum must be a special multi-part figure, like General Grievous.

The Return of the King:

War Mumakil:

Minifigs: Mumakil driver (x1), Haradrim archer (x2), Easterling spearman (x2).

Components: Buildable Mumakil, Mumakil archer tower.

Accessories: Mumakil driver horn and back flag, bow (x2), quiver (x2), Easterling spear (x2).

Cost: $119.99

Note: Easterling spears must be special moulds specifically for that character.

The Siege of Minas Tirith:

Minifigs: Gandalf the White, Pippin (in Gondorian garb), Gondorian swordsman (x2) and archer (x1), Gothmog, Orc warrior (x3).

Components: The Gates of Minas Tirith, a Mordor siege tower, one Warg.

Accessories: Gandalf’s sword and staff, Pippin’s sword, Gondorian helmet (x3), sword (x2), shield (x2), bow (x1) and quiver (x1), Orc sword (x4)

Cost: $99.99

Note: Gondorian helmets must be a special mould specifically for that character.

Attack at Osgiliath:

Minifigs: Faramir, Ranger (x2), Gothmog, Orc warrior (x2).

Components: Osgiliath shore and ruins (x2), Mordor boat (x1)

Accessories: Gondorian sword (x3), bow (x3) and quiver (x3), Orc sword (x3).

Cost: $69.99

Shelob’s Lair:

Minifigs: Frodo, Sam, web-enclosed Frodo, Gollum.

Components: Tunnel filled with spider web, buildable Shelob.

Accessories: Sting, Sam’s sword, Light of Earendial.

Cost: $49.99

Note: Web-enclosed Frodo is a one piece body with a separate head.

Encounter with the Witch-King:

Minifigs: King Theoden, Eowyn (in armour), Merry (in armour), Witch-King.

Components: Buildable Fell Beast creature, one horse (white).

Accessories: Rohan sword (x2) and shield (x1), King Theoden’s helmet, Eowyn’s helmet, Merry’s sword and helmet, the Witch-King’s helmet, sword and flail.

Cost: $39.99

Note: The Witch-King’s helmet and flail must be special moulds specifically for that character.

The Black Gate:

Minifigs: Aragorn (in King garb), Eomer, Gandalf the White, The Mouth of Sauron.

Components: Small version of The Black Gate, brown horse (x2), white horse (x1), black horse (x1).

Accessories: Aragorn’s sword, Rohan sword (x1), Eomer’s helmet, Gandalf’s sword and staff, The Mouth of Sauron’s helmet.

Note: The Mouth of Sauron and Eomer’s helmets must both be special moulds specifically for that character.

Battlepacks:

Goblin Battlepack:

Minifigs: Moria Goblin (x4).

Components: Buildable Cave Troll, large spiders.

Accessories: Goblin sword (x4), Cave Troll Hammer.

Mordor Battlepack:

Minifigs: Orc swordsman (x2), Orc archer (x2).

Components: Buildable Mordor Troll, small catapult.

Accessories: Orc sword (x2), bow (x2), and quiver (x2), Troll hammer.

Men of the East Battlepack:

Minifigs: Haradrim archer (x2), Easterling spearman (x2).

Components: Battle chariot with one black horse.

Accessories: Easterling spear (x2), bow (x2), quiver (x2).

Isengard Battlepack:

Minifigs: Uruk-Hai swordsman (x2) and crossbowman (x2).

Components: Small Uruk-Hai siege ballista.

Accessories: Uruk-Hai helmets (x4), armour (x4), sword (x2), shield(x2) and crossbow (x2).

Rohan Battlepack:

Minifigs: Rohan swordsman (x2), Rohan spearman (x2), Rohan flag bearer.

Components: brown horse (x5), two piece flag (x1), small weapons cart.

Accessories: Rohan sword (x3), spear (x2), flag and shield (x4).

Gondor Battlepack:

Minifigs: Gondorian swordsman (x2), Gondorian archer (x2).

Components: Small Gondor Trebuchet.

Accessories: Gondorian helmet (x4), sword (x2), bow (x2) and quiver (x2).

Elven Battlepack:

Minifigs: Elven swordsman (x2), Elven archer (x2), Elven flag bearer (x1).

Components: Two piece flag (x1), small Elven catapult.

Accessories: Elven helmet (x5), sword (x3), bow (x2) and quiver (x2).

Notes

Note on horses: All horses must come equipped with a saddle, besides Gandalf’s white horse. All plain saddles must be dark grey colour. All Rohan horses must have dark green horse helmets. King Theoden, The Mouth of Sauron and Black Gate Aragorn’s horses must have the horse armour saddles, with proper looking prints and colour schemes on it.

Note on creatures: All creatures (e.g., Watcher in the Water, Trolls, Wargs, Treebeard) must have special face and body moulds, colour schemed correctly for that character.

Note on staffs: All wizards staffs must have special moulds for the heads of the staffs.

Note on Moria Goblins: All Moria Goblins must be the size of a hobbit (Yoda size).

Note on hairpieces: Character hairpiece references listed below:

Aragorn: 2010 Snape hairpiece.

Gandalf the White: Must have a new hairpiece.

Frodo: Harry Potter hairpiece.

Sam: 2007 Episode 1 Anakin Skywalker hairpiece.

Merry: Must have new hairpiece.

Pippin: Dastan hairpiece.

Legolas: Special hairpiece mould.

Boromir: Orange Dastan hairpiece.

Saruman: White Dumbledore hairpiece.

King Theoden: Buttercup yellow Dastan hairpiece.

Lurtz: Special hairpiece mould.

Moria Goblin: Special hairpiece mould.

Haldir: Special hairpiece mould.

Note on beards: Gandalf the Grey must have a grey wizard beard, Gandalf the White must have a white wizard beard, Saruman must have a grey wizard beard and Gimli must have a beard similar to the dwarf beards from the Castle theme, but a design more fitting to the movie.

Note on helmets and armour: Here is a list of helmet colour schemes:

Gondorian: metallic silver.

Rohan: metallic brown.

Elven: metallic gold.

Uruk-Hai: the colour used for Castle Troll helmets.

Easterling: metallic gold.

Note on capes: All Fellowship members, and any other characters who wear them, must have capes in the appropriate sets. Colours for character’s capes are listed here:

Aragorn: dark green.

Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin: dark green; Jawa size.

Gandalf: grey, white.

Gimli: grey, Jawa size.

Legolas: dark green.

Eowyn: dark green.

Rohan swordsman, spearman or flag bearer: dark green.

Elven warrior: dark blue.

Faramir: brown.

Rangers: brown.

All Nazgul: black.

Note on skin colours: Here is a list of skin colours for characters:

All Gondor, Rohan, Elves and Fellowship members: light flesh.

Saruman and Wormtounge: light flesh.

Uruk-Hai: dark red.

Orcs: Various to accommodate differences between troops.

Moria Goblins: Yoda skin.

Mumak driver, Haradrim and Easterling: dark flesh.

Note on headgear: Gandalf the Grey must have a wizard hat, and the Haradrim archers must have Hasansin hoods from Prince of Persia.

Note on minifig prints: All minifigs must have double side printing on their torsos and printing on their legs.

There you go! Sorry about the huge post. :blush:

How can LEGO create Lord of the Rings?

Chapter 2: Brickbuilt Battle-Packs

How is it possible to merchandise Tolkiens HUGE world?

I decribed in my last posts that modular "Creator-sets" are the key. LEGO to develop one set. And we want that 3x.

Example for Minas Tirith: For a city wall-, city gate- and for a city house version. -> We to buy this modular creator set 3x and we got a playable Minas Tirith. (without the citadel, these main sets are extra)

-> with two developed sets is it possible to built a huge location.

Now follow the next step. The brickbuilt creatures:

Middle-earth is a place were we find many many creatures. The question is: How can LEGO to create many creatures without to develop many sets?

-Right! The key is the same. Creator-sets. In the Hobbit-theme we will see many creatures like eagles, giants or spiders.

A new "brickbuilt crature battle-pack series" in creator-style would give us the possibility to got eagles with different marks. The bodys are ever the same, just some marks are different.

->brickbuilt war-trolls would become different armor-options.

You see. The effect is the same. LEGO to develop "one" creator "creature" set and we to buy for a greate army many of them. (I personally would love to see a creator ent battle pack with 3x different ent options)

Middle-earth in LEGO-style could be the greatest LEGO-adventure of all time. A complete new and very effective merchandise-system. :wink:

To be continued.

Elander

Edited by Elander

So there isn't any real concrete evidence there will be any LotR sets, and this thread is just turning into wishlists? Making sure I didn't miss anything.

So there isn't any real concrete evidence there will be any LotR sets, and this thread is just turning into wishlists? Making sure I didn't miss anything.

Hi, :sweet:

I don't write about my wishlist. My wishlist will you find here.

Many user meaning that LotR to big for LEGO is.

I want to explain "how LEGO can to create LEGO Tolkiens huge world without to develop many huge sets". Here we talking, if it possible to develop this world and if LEGO LotR/Hobbit really come out.

Edited by Elander

In the past I have been told Lego like building sets based around vehicles mostly....just look at Star Wars almost 100% or Indiana Jones at least 80% and even Harry Potter flying car, Hogwarts Express and the Knight Bus. What makes some people think that LORT is what the average 8 to 12 year old wants to build....these kids are not AFOLs and quite possible that LOTR books might not interest them at their age and might be a bit of a hard read. How many 10 year old's read War & Peace eh ? :wink:

Any theme Lego chooses to produce must ring home with the intended market, children....KFOL's, Indiana because he was a rough and tough guy who was always in the action, Harry...well he was a kid and we all followed him in to manhood....just like how kids grow up with the same kind of problems...well minus someone trying to kill him ! :blush: Finally, there is Star Wars.....good vs evil or so we think, for over 30 years it has caught the imagination of every young boy (and girl sometimes)...it's a no-brainer ! :laugh:

LOTR would only work for AFOL's, perhaps a +16 set with over 2000 pieces is what is called for. :wink:

Yeah... more or less. I've posted a couple of general ideas about sets (although I didn't go into detail some posters have... too much for this thread, if you ask me, but whatever). I did it to counter point 3 in the list below. A few years ago I would have concluded there wasn't a chance, but I see things a bit different now:

1. The tired old explanation that LOTR is too violent is bunk... I just watched Anakin Skywalker chop off Dooku's head and, beaten and burned, drag himself out of lava with his one good arm and three stumps... and there's even a set for his "transformation." In Raiders of the Lost Ark, a mechanic gets chopped to bits by the propeller of the flying wing, and blood splatters all over the plane before it explodes - and of course, LEGO released a set for that, too. I don't think I need to mention they released The Dark Knight sets, as well.

2. That you need vehicles for a theme to succeed is bunk, and even if it weren't, there are horses and flying Nazgul and Gandalf's cart and ships... at least as much there as HP or POTC or the regular castle theme... especially when you add siege towers.

3. That there aren't enough set ideas to make LOTR interesting is ABSOLUTELY bunk.

4. That it won't appeal to the demographic is bunk (*). I've given this a lot of thought, and I think some things are important to think about... the demographic age range is quite small, relatively speaking. What are we talking about? Typically 7 to 12? A mere five year range... but SW the OT seems to have sold just as well as the PT sets, 30 years later. Even the first POTC is well beyond 5 years... a 6 or 7 year old when POTC came out is well into the teens. Even the original Toy Story was WAY older than that (1995)... Toy Story 2 is 12 years old. What happened is a new movie revives interest in the entire series... you've got TWO movies that are, as sure as you can possibly be about these things, going to be absolute blockbusters coming out; and the Hobbit is likely to be targeted to a younger audience (as was the book). Young enough? I think so.

I still doubt we'll see LOTR sets; I'd be a happy camper if we did, and if not I'll make do with what I have from the fantasy era along with new elves and drarves and customs, and hope that, if they don't do LOTR, they'll do more fantasy in the future that I can use to do LOTR stuff myself. That's always the beauty of LEGO, right?

But the point is that all the naysayers who say "LEGO will never do LOTR" and then give some explanation about why generally use one of those four tired reasons that I simply don't agree with. I sadly accepted that there would never be any new Harry Potter sets, too... oh... the HP LEGO sets didn't make enough money; it was getting too dark; there just aren't enough vehicles.... so these reasons about why TLG won't do LOTR are mere speculation... none of us really knows a damn thing.

Well, here's my speculation: if TLG does not do The Hobbit/LOTR, it will be for one simple reason - they couldn't reach an agreement with the rights holders that makes it worthwhile. I don't think it will happen, but the reasons people nay-say it are mostly bunk. In the end, it will all come down to money.

4. That it won't appeal to the demographic is bunk (*). I've given this a lot of thought, and I think some things are important to think about... the demographic age range is quite small, relatively speaking. What are we talking about? Typically 7 to 12? A mere five year range... but SW the OT seems to have sold just as well as the PT sets, 30 years later. Even the first POTC is well beyond 5 years... a 6 or 7 year old when POTC came out is well into the teens. Even the original Toy Story was WAY older than that (1995)... Toy Story 2 is 12 years old. What happened is a new movie revives interest in the entire series... you've got TWO movies that are, as sure as you can possibly be about these things, going to be absolute blockbusters coming out; and the Hobbit is likely to be targeted to a younger audience (as was the book). Young enough? I think so.

The point is better to be made would be what would a 10 year old what, Darth Vader or a character from LOTR....odds are in Vader's favor, though some kids wouldn't care as long as it's minifig....heck you'll find LOTR figures fused with Toy Story ones ! :laugh:

It's also important to remember, kids love pirates, aliens, wizards and cartoon heroes....also like characters Robin Hood and The Lone Ranger.....LOTR might be a little too high brow for some children....like I said larger +16 sets would be better to keep those AFOL fans of the theme happy.

If the rumours are true, I imagine the current Kingdoms line will stop and sets will be released along the line of:

Mid 2012 LOTOR Wave 1

End 2012 Hobbit Wave 1 (to coincide with 1st Hobbit film)

Mid 2013 LOTOR Wave 2

End 2013 Hobbit Wave 2 (2nd Hobbit film)

Anything beyond that would solely be based on the performance of these initial waves. Likely 2014 will see a return to a traditional "Castle" themed series.

Chapter 1: Creator Buildings in modular-style

Chapter 2: Creator Creatures for huge armies

And today chapter 3: Customizer, your hour has come!

In my last posts I shared you that LEGO has to show us how flexible we have to be, if we want to create our own middle-earth. Just “one” LEGO developed modular building “creator” set give us 3x variations (for example) of tree houses and we can to build our own playable Lothlorien (without Caras Galadhon, Galadriels big treehouse). Also we can to be creative concerning with “creator creatures”.

Now I want to show you that we can also to be flexible concerning with LEGOs minifigures:

We all knew the massive armies of Middle-earth. But how can LEGO effective to create these massive armies without to develop many sets?

-Let’s talk about “one” orc battle-pack including 4x minifigures.

So, Customizer, now has your hour come. Be creative and to develop 4x different torsos plus 4x different heads including 2x different faces pro head and 4x different helmets.

Now we get 4 (torsos) x 4 (heads) x 2 (faces) x 4 (helmets) = 128 varying kinds of orcs.

-If we want every variation of orc in our army than we have to buy this “one” LEGO developed orc battle pack 32 times!

[The point is. LEGO need for LotR/Hobbit a new effective merchandising-strategy. With some developed modular “Creator” sets is it possible to create Middle-earth. And the commercial efficiency will be amazing.]

I hope someone, who read this topic, has connections with the LEGO develop-team. I really believe these “thoughts” are very interesting (also the ideas and thoughts by all other users). It would be superb if someone could help and to show LEGO this topic.

To be continued

Elander

Edited by Elander

Sorry Fred but anyone who thinks the idea of TLG not liking to base their sets around a lot of vehicles is talking rubbish.

HP had 3 versions of the Hogwarts Express, 2 versions of the barely seen Knight Bus.

Batman was littered with vehicles when the comics aren't.

SW is almost entirely a vehicle range supplemented by minifigs.

The police and fire themes in City are always redone with vehicles even when they don't need updating

look at all the trains TLG currently has available!

LotR is not a vehicle firendly theme. Brickbuilt Nazgul and Ents and Mumakil are a great idea but will be expensive to make in an as yet unproven theme.

Lego is a boys toy and boys love cars, and spaceships and trains. They don't want to race around Gandalfs cart.

Yes I'm putting up obstacles but they are most definately not bunk!

*snip*

Now we get 4 (torsos) x 4 (heads) x 2 (faces) x 4 (helmets) = 128 varying kinds of orcs.

If we want every variation of orc in our army than we have to buy this “one” LEGO developed orc battle pack 32 times!

THAT is EXACTLY the sort of thing *I* would like to see from LEGO battle packs, REGARDLESS of whether or not they are for LOTR! I'd add one other point though...each figure in the battle pack has to have a different weapon/shield combo. Sword and shield, spear and shield, axe and shield, bow and quiver (NO CROSSBOWS FOR ORCS, THANK YOU!) That way, you can customize your units even further.

Sorry Fred but anyone who thinks the idea of TLG not liking to base their sets around a lot of vehicles is talking rubbish.

HP had 3 versions of the Hogwarts Express, 2 versions of the barely seen Knight Bus.

Batman was littered with vehicles when the comics aren't.

SW is almost entirely a vehicle range supplemented by minifigs.

The police and fire themes in City are always redone with vehicles even when they don't need updating

look at all the trains TLG currently has available!

LotR is not a vehicle firendly theme. Brickbuilt Nazgul and Ents and Mumakil are a great idea but will be expensive to make in an as yet unproven theme.

Lego is a boys toy and boys love cars, and spaceships and trains. They don't want to race around Gandalfs cart.

Yes I'm putting up obstacles but they are most definately not bunk!

I kind of hate to state the obivous here but...are you forgetting the 'Castle' theme? It's been around in one incarnation or another since the very first minifig-based sets came out and it seems to have done quite well for itself, WITHOUT any 'vehicles' except the odd cart, carriage or seige tower.

I don't know about anybody else here but, when *I* was a kid, I LOVED all things 'castle-ish', was totally into the legends of King Arthur, etc. I read both The Hobbit and LOTR before I was ten, watched The Hobbit and Return of the King animated movies on tv and went to see the LOTR animated movie in the theatre (and yeah, even ANIMATED 'Dark Riders' were pretty damned spooky!). I LOVED 'fantasy adventure', mythology, ancient legends, etc.. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, Ogres, Minotaurs, Centaurs, etc., etc., fueled my imagination BIG TIME.

When LEGO released those original three themes, I thought I had died and gone to heaven! I was 'into' ALL of them, all for different reasons...and even to this day, I'm STILL 'into' MANY different themes, for many different reasons.

I TOTALLY think that a LOTR theme could stand on its own two feet and compete for shelf space with themes like POTC, SW, Cars, etc...and I think that in many cases, in many places, it would WIN. It's a classic 'good vs evil' story. How the perceived 'weak and meek' triumph over what seemed like overwhelming, impossible odds. It's peppered with cool locals, fascinating characters and some creepy/scary/cool as heck creatures. IMO, it's a PERFECT line for kids with an imagination.

The only question is: in this day of video games, computers and 'spoon fed entertainment', do children have any imagination left?

*edit*

One other point: release a LEGO LOTR video game from TT and the line will EXPLODE with sales. Look at Batman. No video game = flat sales...and let's face it, that line had BATMAN fer cryin' out loud! It also had a massive pile of vehicles and colourful crooks to keep things entertaining. Sales still lagged. Line was dumped. Right around that time, the video game came out and all of a sudden, kids were BEGGING their parents for Batman-related LEGO sets, so they could recreate the video game. Alas, almost none were to be found.

To paraphrase "Field of Dreams": If you game it, they will come.

Edited by Ogre

But how well is the castle theme actually doing? no listings in the Argos catalogue in the UK, none in tescos and none in TRU!

Castles is a poor seller and TLG don't seem to put much effort into it, times have moved on and kids now are into different things. I loved castles and mythology when I was a kid but kids are not so into it now.

And with castles Lego has a lot of very stiff competition from companies like Playmobil and Schleich who offer more realistic playsets.

Have there been any licenses that have not features a lot of vehicles? SW, HP, Indy, Batman?

But how well is the castle theme actually doing? no listings in the Argos catalogue in the UK, none in tescos and none in TRU!

Castles is a poor seller and TLG don't seem to put much effort into it, times have moved on and kids now are into different things. I loved castles and mythology when I was a kid but kids are not so into it now.

And with castles Lego has a lot of very stiff competition from companies like Playmobil and Schleich who offer more realistic playsets.

Have there been any licenses that have not features a lot of vehicles? SW, HP, Indy, Batman?

Quite honestly, I don't see those 'more realistic' companies as any real competition for LEGO, because they are in two TOTALLY DIFFERENT markets with regard to what they make.

And even so...as a kid, though I ENJOYED stuff like 'pre-fab' toy soldiers, etc., I was always rather let down by their limitations...you couldn't CHANGE anything and a lot of the stuff that I wanted them to make, they DIDN'T make. My biggest beef was with castles. They were either the wrong scale, or were totally lame. At least with LEGO, I can build my own and customize it to bits...and when I don't want it around, taking up space, I can dismantle it into something far smaller than what I've seen from Playmobile, et al. And, they tend to take up a lot less space when BUILT, too.

Not many vehicles? Pirates. *g* Nothin' but ships 'n' boats. :wink:

Edited by Ogre

Those who argue that LOTR wouldn't be popular with kids (for whatever reason) are ignoring a very simple fact: LOTR IS popular with kids, and it has been for a good sixty years or so. Long before Peter Jackson brought it to the screen, the books were a publishing phenomenon that inspired everything from D&D to a million Saturday morning cartoons. the Harry Potter series wouldn't exist without LOTR - just try to tell me Albus Dumbledore isn't a Gandalf clone, or that Dementors don't remind you of Nazgul. Three generations of children have grown up with the Hobbit as one of their most beloved books, and a fair number of those kids went on to read LOTR afterwards, even without films and video games to remind them that it's cool. Now that there are films and video games, LOTR can only get more popular. It doesn't need vehicles.