Sign in to follow this  
Algernon

Where is Space 2012?

With so much news cropping up for other themes - Dino 2012, Superheroes, and now even LotR - I'm starting to wonder why Space has been so quiet. More Alien Conquest? Another classic re-hash, like the return of Blacktron? Or something new entirely?

Or, alternatively, will Space be taking another hiatus? I hope not, but you never know.

So here's a thread to discuss the future of LEGO Space. Have at it!

With so much news cropping up for other themes - Dino 2012, Superheroes, and now even LotR - I'm starting to wonder why Space has been so quiet. More Alien Conquest? Another classic re-hash, like the return of Blacktron? Or something new entirely?

Or, alternatively, will Space be taking another hiatus? I hope not, but you never know.

So here's a thread to discuss the future of LEGO Space. Have at it!

Am I the only one that has a hard time calling Alien Conquest a space theme. To me it's more of a Sci-Fi action theme than anything else. So for me Space has already taking a hiatus this year. :/ And I guess that there could be a space theme in 2HY 2012 that we haven't heard about yeat but it's starting to be more and more unlikely for every bit of news we get. So If there's a hiatus next year I sure hope they hit us with a bang in 2013.

But I guess one shouldn't start longing for new space already as that will surely just lead to dissapointment... :/

With all the licensed news, it's probably Star Trek! :laugh: Just kidding. We almost never get Space in the January wave, So I wouldn't expect anything until Toy Fair. :sceptic:

Maybe the dino theme is the space theme? :tongue:

In all seriousness, I don't know for sure what awaits spacers in 2012. It's possible that there won't be a space theme for the first half of the year, just like there wasn't this year until Alien Conquest. Alternatively, perhaps there will be Alien Conquest sets next year and specific leaks just haven't been reported (this is likely the case with Hero Factory, although admittedly the AFOLs who have seen retailer's catalogs might not give a hoot about that particular theme's future).

I don't think the return of Blacktron would happen without a simultaneous return of Space Police, since those two themes are classic adversaries and these days there are no single-faction themes. On the other hand, Space Police has a long-standing tradition of including Blacktron figures, and Space Police III largely failed to meet that condition, so it's possible that a new "good guy" faction would be created to face off against Blacktron. I'm skeptical, though.

I actually speculated about that in the Dino 2012 topic. 'Astronauts VS Dinosaurs! :wub:'

If it was a new theme, I think we would have heard about it by now, and since we had a new theme in the summer wave, it seems very unlikely. :sceptic:

I think we won't get any Space for the January Wave, but we could get some in the summer.

Alien Conquest is a nice theme, but it doesn't excites me.

I hope for a theme like Classic Space to explore the space. The City Space could be a link to the stars.

<dream>

A new Moonbase with Helium3-Factory...

</dream>

-Kai

We have had too many space exploration themes the last 5 years. I would like more action packed stuff. We need an emphasis on giant robots, hopefully fighting giant beasts and/or other giant robots. Needs big guns.

We have had too many space exploration themes the last 5 years. I would like more action packed stuff. We need an emphasis on giant robots, hopefully fighting giant beasts and/or other giant robots. Needs big guns.

Lol. So basically, Dino Attack in space.

With so much news cropping up for other themes - Dino 2012, Superheroes, and now even LotR - I'm starting to wonder why Space has been so quiet.

I visit the Frontpage of Eurobricks everyday to read the news, but I only knew about the new superheros line. If there is news about a Dino 2012 and even a LotR line, why don't they put that on the front page? :sceptic: Now I have to search the whole forum.

@Topic: I would love to see some real space or even new blacktron sets. I'm not the biggest fan of Alien conquest and was very disapointed when I learned they would would stop the Space Police III line, without bringing blacktron back. The Rench figure seemed to be a good first sign of this idea.

I visit the Frontpage of Eurobricks everyday to read the news, but I only knew about the new superheros line. If there is news about a Dino 2012 and even a LotR line, why don't they put that on the front page? :sceptic: Now I have to search the whole forum.

Because there really isn't any news, it's all just speculation gone wild. The "evidence" for LOTR is one guy's blog - with no sources, details or prior history to establish them as a good source - and a comment somebody at Travellers' Tales made over a year ago about how Lego LOTR "would definitely work". As far as I know, there's not much more evidence for Dino 2012.

Too many exploration themes? Other than Mars Mission (The astronauts INTENDED to explore but still ended up igniting a war) and City Space (Not really a proper space theme though) I can't think of any exploration themes in the last few years, LOM was the last. I think we need to have something without any enemies so they can focus on exploration (Or mining or moonbases or something else peaceful). The LEGO universe seems to be a horrible place to live sometimes (especially in SPIII, with the police arresting and probably killing aliens just because they are aliens, and the only reason they turn to crime is because they are not accepted by humanity.

Because there really isn't any news, it's all just speculation gone wild. The "evidence" for LOTR is one guy's blog - with no sources, details or prior history to establish them as a good source - and a comment somebody at Travellers' Tales made over a year ago about how Lego LOTR "would definitely work". As far as I know, there's not much more evidence for Dino 2012.

You're right about LotR - it's just wild speculation. But Dino 2012 is confirmed, we have set names already. It's going to be similar to the old Johnny Thunder dinosaur safari sets.

Hey, I did mean that those 2 themes were enough exploration for now. I just miss mechas :) City's space theme is just on the shelves so an exploration theme would look to come too soon to me. They are more closer to a space exploration theme than one would initially think, specially with the beautiful white atlantis armor. That moon buggy is almost a typical classic space set.

I have the feeling that a space or space-ish (like Alien conquest) theme will not come until the second wave. I blame Star Wars.

Edited by vexorian

Another classic re-hash, like the return of Blacktron? Or something new entirely?

Return of BLACKTRON!!!! Please!!! Lego, please hear our cries!!! :tongue:

Am I the only one that has a hard time calling Alien Conquest a space theme. To me it's more of a Sci-Fi action theme than anything else. So for me Space has already taking a hiatus this year.

It does feel like you describe.

I don't think the return of Blacktron would happen without a simultaneous return of Space Police, since those two themes are classic adversaries and these days there are no single-faction themes. On the other hand, Space Police has a long-standing tradition of including Blacktron figures, and Space Police III largely failed to meet that condition, so it's possible that a new "good guy" faction would be created to face off against Blacktron. I'm skeptical, though.

I do think Lego wasted an opportunity to bring back Blacktron... Hopefully, Blacktron III and SPIV? :tongue:

I would like more action packed stuff. We need an emphasis on giant robots, hopefully fighting giant beasts and/or other giant robots. Needs big guns.

Which is why we need Blacktron III. :grin:

@Topic: I would love to see some real space or even new blacktron sets. I'm not the biggest fan of Alien conquest and was very disapointed when I learned they would would stop the Space Police III line, without bringing blacktron back.

True, true, and 100% agreed.

The LEGO universe seems to be a horrible place to live sometimes (especially in SPIII, with the police arresting and probably killing aliens just because they are aliens, and the only reason they turn to crime is because they are not accepted by humanity.

I think that this was a flaw in SPIII. Why no alien cops? All aliens are bad? :sad: Doesn't speak of a very tolerant society :laugh:

I was hoping for a blacktron rehash with the release if the blactron minifig (such a great fig, with the robo arm and the space age peg leg.)

I'm not sure what colors they would go with this time.

The trans color seems to be the variable here, from the trans red of SP1 to the trans Dark green of SP2 to the trans dark blue of SP 3

I kind of hope they stay with the trans-neon green for blacktron3 if it happens.

It looked great! Wishful thinking I'm sure

As far as the leaks from the retailer catalogues will have us believe then you are correct - no new Space theme for 2012.

I'm sure we'll get one in 2013 though.

Seriously? Has TLG's designers' brains gone completely dry of imagination? We have more licenced themes than anything and it's like to them coming up with a new theme like AC (not very great in my opinion) is like going to mars for real. They even released LEGO Cuusoo this year where basically fans make the sets... maybe they should get the money :tongue: . But seriously Blacktron lll has to happen soon. Hopefully this hiatus is short and is a sign TLG has been working on a great new theme *Ahem Blacktron lll* that will blow our minds. TLG's quality has been going way up (Except in price :sadnew: ) and kids now a days are way more moderanized and if TLG released an auesome new theme, AFOL's and kids all over the world would run into their little TRU's, run into the LEGO aeil at full speed and start touching and looking at all the boxes with their grimy hands because the internet isnt fun to use to look at a box :grin: . LEGO, do us a favor, we. Want. SPACE.

Don't worry. We will get Space soon.

From the "Kingdoms 2012?" thread.

Actually, you're right on this. At least for the alien and the haz mat guy. According to a post by Draykov about half way down this page on FBTB, there is a Brickjournal interview with Mark Stafford about Alien Conquest that makes it seem as if the Haz Mat guy, the Generic Gray Alien, and the upcoming Dark Blue Space Marine type guy all spun out of concepts that were initially proposed for Alien Conquest. I figure is this is the case with those figures, it isn't a stretch to think it happened with some other themes as well. I never would've thought of the lumberjack, but it makes sense now that you mention it. It would explain why we have a Mummy, a Pharoah, and a Cleopatra-type. Though the Mummy, along with the Vampire, the Zombie, the Mad Scientist, Frankenstein, and the Werewolf all spun out of Monster Fighter ideas. Or they might not have been sure they were going to go forward with that and decided to use the figure concepts.

It also stated that AC beat out 4 other concepts that were more developed. This might explain why TLG did not make any more sets. It also means that we might get a new space/sci-fi theme in 2013. :excited:

Which means we won't get one. :laugh: Just kidding!

Mayan Apocalypse? :laugh:

That's interesting, actually, and it makes a lot of sense. I'm pretty confident that LEGO won't turn its back on Space for very long, and frankly, I think Monster Fighters will fill that gap pretty nicely for me this year.

weeeeell... let's face it... Classic Space (meaning Space before Futuron or maybe included Futuron as the last breath of a dying organism) is dead and buried :cry_sad: it's been like this for decades, I don't expect the return of the Golden Age. As far as I know, Lego never even considered to resurrect Classic Space... :sing::cry_happy::cry_sad:

it seems to me that Space Conquest was at the end of the line. It was far from the best selling theme of the current catalog and in terms of playability, my guess is that Dino2012 and Superheroes, will simply take over.

However, if they do come up with a new line, I hope it's something different from anything before. I hope it would be something that we simply did not expect them to do, instead of a new space police theme or even blacktron. My main concern, in any case, is the quality of the sets. I wouldn't buy just any robot or spaceship, it has got to be a good robot or spaceship...

but as for now, i wouldn't keep my hopes up too much

weeeeell... let's face it... Classic Space (meaning Space before Futuron or maybe included Futuron as the last breath of a dying organism) is dead and buried :cry_sad: it's been like this for decades, I don't expect the return of the Golden Age. As far as I know, Lego never even considered to resurrect Classic Space... :sing::cry_happy::cry_sad:

it seems to me that Space Conquest was at the end of the line. It was far from the best selling theme of the current catalog and in terms of playability, my guess is that Dino2012 and Superheroes, will simply take over.

However, if they do come up with a new line, I hope it's something different from anything before. I hope it would be something that we simply did not expect them to do, instead of a new space police theme or even blacktron. My main concern, in any case, is the quality of the sets. I wouldn't buy just any robot or spaceship, it has got to be a good robot or spaceship...

I don't think LEGO has forgotten about the "golden age" of LEGO Space. Keep in mind that a lot of the designers are LEGO fans just like us. Space Police III was riddled with references only a seasoned Space fan would ever get.

Mayan Apocalypse? :laugh:

:laugh: Exactly... Maybe Space 2012 could be about humankind evacuating Earth in spaceships because of it. :iamded_lol:

I'm not keeping my hopes up too much, but I wouldn't say that Classic Space is dead forever. One never knows. :classic:

I'm all for fresh ideas, but I would prefer something more "pure" sci-fi than Alien Conquest, if you know what I mean.