Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

:pir-oh: Nice. How did you light up the cabin?

Just a couple of Lego Power Functions lights. I'm eventually going to try and light all the lanterns.

I for one really hope that they continue this theme. This theme has so much potential. I'm still trying to get my hands on the QAR and Pearl.I'm hoping to get them for my Birthday and for Christmas, later this year. However, I was reading over at All About Bricks that there hasn't been any information or rumors about the theme continuing next year. I know that it is only August, and rumors of next years sets are just barely beginning to surface, so lets hope that we hear something positive soon.

He also said the Pearl is coming out in September.

Sounds great, if it is true. Could anyone else confirm that?

Sounds great, if it is true. Could anyone else confirm that?

I saw some promos for it here, iirc. It looked pretty legit, and slightly disappointing. I'll try to link it if I find it.

Or are you asking about the timeframe? Because I cant help there, sorry.

So, is the Black Pearl the only set coming out later this year or is there a whole new wave attached to it?

So, is the Black Pearl the only set coming out later this year or is there a whole new wave attached to it?

The Black Pearl is almost certainly the only set coming before the end of the year. It's only speculation whether there will be any more sets at all. There haven't been any solid (or even vague) rumors of other sets coming out.

Are there some events, conventions, toy fairs or whatever in the near future for the new Lego merchandise that's coming out Q4 2011/ Q1 2012? I was really hoping the rumor of the tortuga set to be true.

I have not heard anything in the way of sets for 2012, the only thing I have heard is the theme is only going to be in 2011 but can't confirm that 100%.

Too bad... I was starting to collect LEGO again after 12 years and this was my first licensed theme ever. I guess I'll have to start collecting the original Pirates Theme. Too bad I'll end up with yellows and fleshies.

149 pages!!! I find it funny to look at all of the first posts about speculating whether or not its going to come out. But the Black Pearl definitely is coming out, its already in a German toy store. After all, how could they not make the Black Pearl? It's a classic! German Toy Shop

149 pages!!! I find it funny to look at all of the first posts about speculating whether or not its going to come out. But the Black Pearl definitely is coming out, its already in a German toy store. After all, how could they not make the Black Pearl? It's a classic! German Toy Shop

Sorry to break it to you, but we kinda already knew the Pearl was coming. And we've seen pics as far back as June or so.

Hmm that link says that the set will be available on October 24th. Translation below.

Black Pearl - Pirates of LEGO, Pirats of the Caribbean, from age 8, 840 parts, included: Jack Sparrow, Joshua Gibbs, Davy Jones, William Turner, bootstrap Bill, pirate with Hammer's head after 13 years has returned Davy Jones to bring Jack Sparrow aboard the Flying Dutchman. But Maccus, bootstrap Bill, Jack and his friends will and Joshamee give up so quickly, as they face the tentacles of their enemy's. The set contains 6 minifigures: Jack Sparrow, will Turner, Joshamee Gibbs, Davy Jones, Maccus and bootstrap Bill. Defeat Davy Jones and his crew aboard the Black Pearl! Contents: • contains the minifigures of Jack Sparrow, will Turner, Joshamee Gibbs, Davy Jones, Maccus and bootstrap Bill • which cabin of the ship is open and is the view of the internal free • with large black sailing and working cannons 9-16 years attention! Suitable for children under 3 years because small parts can be swallowed. Choking! AVAILABLE FROM 24.10.2011! Respect. Not for children under the age of three. Contains small parts that can be swallowed and long line. Choking and the risk of Strangulation!.

Sorry to break it to you, but we kinda already knew the Pearl was coming. And we've seen pics as far back as June or so.

lol I know, I'm just posting that for anyone who doesn't know and look at this topic and wonder if its coming. And when I was talking about the first posts, I meant like the first page, when everyone was speculating whether the actual THEME was going to be released.

Personaly, I don't like the new Pirates Of The Caribbean sets because:

A: The Lego group discontinued Lego Pirates so they could make Lego Pirates Of The Caribbean

B: Look at Lego Star Wars teh Clone Wars! That should've left a ouple of months ago!

My though is CN is funding Lego so they keep making Clone Wars.

I guess my worry is that Lego won't stop makin Lego Pirates Of The Caribbean and so they won't EVER make Lego Pirates AGAIN! :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling:

I guess my worry is that Lego won't stop makin Lego Pirates Of The Caribbean and so they won't EVER make Lego Pirates AGAIN! :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling:

They'll stop with POTC at some point, look at Indiana Jones or Prince of Persia

Personnaly I think the Black Pearl will be the last set in the POTC line.

I'm worried that it will take a long time before there will be a new Pirate theme, a very long time you might as well say there won't be one until prooved wrong :pir_bawling:

I'm hoping for just one more wave. I would love a Tia Dalma, Cutler Beckett, Sao Feng, Cotton, Pintel & Ragetti minifigs. Don't care in which sets they arrive. :pir-classic:

Look at Lego Star Wars teh Clone Wars! That should've left a couple of months ago!

A bit off topic, but you're kidding right? Star Wars is Lego's biggest seller, with The Clone Wars series having a HUGE following in the 6-14 year old boys demographic. Lego Clone Wars isn't going away anytime soon.

I personally hope PotC will stick around for at least one more wave, but my gut feeling tells me that the Black Pearl will be the last set of the line. It's a shame, there's still so much ground to cover. There hasn't been a single set from At World's End.

Star Wars is Lego's biggest seller

Nope, City/town is Lego's biggest global seller though Star Wars is also a highly successful theme and consistently one of the best sellers.

They'll stop with POTC at some point, look at Indiana Jones or Prince of Persia

Personnaly I think the Black Pearl will be the last set in the POTC line.

I'm worried that it will take a long time before there will be a new Pirate theme, a very long time you might as well say there won't be one until prooved wrong :pir_bawling:

I think it's more of a question of 'when' than 'if' classic pirates will return. The 4th Pirates of the Caribbean film wasn't a big success and the future of the franchise in general looks uncertain, while at the release of the film a PotC Lego theme definitely looked like a money spinner I think it's already clear it will be short lived since as far as I'm aware it already hasn't done as well as hoped and I would think its safe to say with the decline of the franchise sales can only go down from here.

Comparisons to Star Wars are pretty limited since the overall size of the PotC merchandise market is a speck compared to the size of the Star Wars merchandise market. The Indiana Jones Lego line has a much better comparison with the PotC line and look what's happened there - they discontinued the license and bought out a new unlicensed theme along same lines in the form of Pharaoh’s Quest.

Lego have quite openly said that a few years back they were getting it all wrong in trying to move away from their core product resulting in them selling off their theme parks and licensing out all the video games. They're now moving back to focusing on lego bricks and their core themes - City, Castle, Space and Pirates.

The classic pirate line made way for an opportunity they had with the PotC line but with the PotC line now on its way out (Probably either finishing with the pearl or perhaps with 1 more wave afterward) then I think its quite realistic to hope for the return of classic pirates in say 2013.

This is of course all speculative - I have no idea what lego will do really but these are my reasoned thoughts.

Look at Lego Star Wars teh Clone Wars! That should've left a ouple of months ago!

Well the Clone Wars is even better than PotC for sales because:

1. Because its a show, they can make new episodes to inspire new sets.

2. Lego is generally marketed for kids, kids love the clone wars.

3. Star Wars has always been a big success for kids and adults, so both will want a piece of the clone wars line.

4. PotC isn't really for younger kids, so a lot of them don't even know what the sets are about.

5. CN probably is funding Lego :pir-wink:

Nope, City/town is Lego's biggest global seller though Star Wars is also a highly successful theme and consistently one of the best sellers.

Thanks for catching me-- I was only thinking of licensed themes.

The 4th Pirates of the Caribbean film wasn't a big success and the future of the franchise in general looks uncertain, while at the release of the film a PotC Lego theme definitely looked like a money spinner I think it's already clear it will be short lived since as far as I'm aware it already hasn't done as well as hoped and I would think its safe to say with the decline of the franchise sales can only go down from here.

I think Pirates 4 actually did very well. It is number 8th on the most revenue grossing film worldwide. (I'm sure higher ticket prices help)

http://www.filmsite.org/boxoffice.html

It sounds like Pirates 5 would be in production if Depp was ready.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/pirates-5-script-delivered-disney-185357

I agree that we may not see more POTC sets anytime soon since it was a movie tie-in, but in my opinion the POTC have sold well. (at least better than other Disney franchise sets (Prince of Persia, Toy Story, Cars 2)

Queen Anne's Revenge was one the top sellers list for a while on Lego.com

I think Pirates 4 actually did very well. It is number 8th on the most revenue grossing film worldwide. (I'm sure higher ticket prices help)

http://www.filmsite.org/boxoffice.html

My bad, thought I'd heard otherwise. Actually looks like it is likely they'll be a 5th film in 2013 too which makes classic lego pirates future quite a bit more uncertain. :pir_bawling:

I've just found a better picture of Davy Jones on the same site that brought us the last BP pics:

https://exoneit.de/default.asp?ex=shop:produktedetail.asp&Artikel_id=103054&kat_id=7251 (The picture can't be deeplinked due to its size)

The set itself may be a little underwhelming, but Jones certainly isn't :pir-wub:

Thanks for sharing. Too bad it's black & white but now we have a close-up of the tentacle-beard and pincer. Still two months until the review though :P