Shadows

TUTORIAL Posting Deeplinked Images from Brickshelf

How to get a miniature that link to the original sized one?

The little dropdown on flickr lets you choose the size of the pasted image and will always turn it into a link to the full flickr one too.

The little dropdown on flickr lets you choose the size of the pasted image and will always turn it into a link to the full flickr one too.

Ops, sorry, i mean on brickshelf.

Neither EB nor Brickshelf allow resizing of pictures online, so you have to resize the pic yourself and upload two versions. Post the small one normally and link to the bigger one.

Hello, I like to enter the WINTER BREAK Contest, but when I try to upload my images it says: ''You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.''

What should I do?

Hello, I like to enter the WINTER BREAK Contest, but when I try to upload my images it says: ''You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.''

What should I do?

You're attempting to deeplink the page that holds the image, not the image itself. Just keep clicking on the image until it's nothing but the image in the top left corner of a page of white. Then deeplink that URL. It should end in an image extension. (.jpg, .png, .gif, etc.)

Read this.

On a flickr photo page, click 'Share this' > 'Grab the HTML/BBCode' > Select 'BBcode' and an appropriate resolution for EB and just copy and paste the given BBcode into an EB post.

Read this.

On a flickr photo page, click 'Share this' > 'Grab the HTML/BBCode' > Select 'BBcode' and an appropriate resolution for EB and just copy and paste the given BBcode into an EB post.

I guess it's time for me to make a new tutorial!

You don't actually need to post a second small image in your brickshelf gallery as every gallery comes with a set of thumbnails which you can use.

I'm about the least computer savy person on this planet but I can mange this one.

When your in your brickshelf folder, right click on the image and copy the URL. You will get a thumbnail of that image that you may wish to use as a link.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/blueandwhite/BrickmoorCastle/thumb/00brickmoor.jpg_thumb.jpg

Notice the word thumb at the end of the link. This is a brickshelf thumbnail which is ideal for linking to your gallery.

00brickmoor.jpg_thumb.jpg

The code looks something like this (I've replaced the square brackets with curved ones so you can see the format).

(url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=110771)(img)http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/blueandwhite/BrickmoorCastle/thumb/00brickmoor.jpg_thumb.jpg(/img)(/url)

basically its:

(url=insert url here and close the first bracket)(img)image goes here(/img)(/url). This will allow you to link to your brickshelf gallery using a thumbnail instead of text.

Use this to either link to the original image or to link to the gallery you want folks to look at. I hope this helps you out.

Hi I have a question.

I have followed all the instruction to do deep linking but when I post the topic, it shows this message as follow,"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board."

Is it because I am too junior in this forum, that's why I can't use this function?

Thank You

Hi I have a question.

I have followed all the instruction to do deep linking but when I post the topic, it shows this message as follow,"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board."

Is it because I am too junior in this forum, that's why I can't use this function?

Thank You

You're linking to the page of the photo, not the photo itself. Click on the photo again until all you get is the photo in the top-left corner of an all-white page. You should get a URL that ends with the image extension. (.jpg, .png, .gif, etc.)

Thank you Dark Knight, I had the same question, so glad thats over... I do have question on this subject. Does the folder have to be public before deep linking from it. I don't want to start a topic without a pic behind it.

Does the folder have to be public before deep linking from it.

No, it doesn't have to be moderated/public before posting, but you can always preview your post by clicking 'Preview' instead of 'Post' when you compose a new reply.

No, it doesn't have to be moderated/public before posting, but you can always preview your post by clicking 'Preview' instead of 'Post' when you compose a new reply.

I did that and a picture of a small blue question mark. Wasn't sure what that is about.

I did that and a picture of a small blue question mark. Wasn't sure what that is about.

It means that either the picture didn't load or the picture couldn't be found at that location. Double check your URLs. A common mistake is to add on the URL to the 'http://' that's already in the 'Insert Image' field by default, so your URL ends up being 'http://http://www....' which is a bad link that won't work.

You're linking to the page of the photo, not the photo itself. Click on the photo again until all you get is the photo in the top-left corner of an all-white page. You should get a URL that ends with the image extension. (.jpg, .png, .gif, etc.)

Thank You! It finally worked! :laugh:

I have been trying to post photos many times and keep getting it wrong. I have been able to upload some from my hard drive but it seems that although I've made them very small as per the guidelines I cannot post anymore?

I have created a Brickshelf gallery as suggested and tried to use the little tab at the top of the box annotated 'Insert Image.' I get the box coming up for the link which i then put in. It all looks OK but when I go to post it I get the message 'You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.' I have tried several times with several different images but get the same each time. I have gone over the tutorial again and again and just cannot see that I am doing anything wrong.

The images are Jpeg ones and they are very small in actual size as I've cropped them down and so on, but it still does not help.

Any ideas as I am finding it very frustrating?

Thanks.

I have created a Brickshelf gallery as suggested and tried to use the little tab at the top of the box annotated 'Insert Image.' I get the box coming up for the link which i then put in. It all looks OK but when I go to post it I get the message 'You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.' I have tried several times with several different images but get the same each time. I have gone over the tutorial again and again and just cannot see that I am doing anything wrong.

Are you sure you're at step 5 (of the opening post) and not step 4? That is, does the URL you copy into your post actually end in .jpg? When you would copy the URL at step 4, you're copying the reference to a (dynamically generated) HTML page, which is not the URL to an image.

Any ideas as I am finding it very frustrating?

I think I know the problem. You're probably posting the wrong URL. What's the EXACT URL that you're trying to post?

This IS admittedly annoying because you can't always determine the file type based on the URL, but IP Board thinks it knows better, even though it doesn't (although, in your case, I think it actually DOES know better, and prevented you from putting in a bad link).

DaveE

Are you sure you're at step 5 (of the opening post) and not step 4? That is, does the URL you copy into your post actually end in .jpg? When you would copy the URL at step 4, you're copying the reference to a (dynamically generated) HTML page, which is not the URL to an image.

Oh yes, I think you are right, thanks for that it seems to have worked now. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57976&st=0#entry1033150 I assume that this correct as I can now see my images, thank you once more. You would not believe how much time I spent going over that again and again and could not see for looking!

Hi, I was just trying to upload some pictures from flickr, but I could not post the topic :sad: . Do I need a Brickshelf account for this? I just really want to post my MoC soon.

Hi, I was just trying to upload some pictures from flickr, but I could not post the topic :sad: . Do I need a Brickshelf account for this? I just really want to post my MoC soon.

See here for embedding from flickr.

Thanks My main problem was that I was trying to post from LEGO.com, not brickshelf! Thanks again!