Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#3: The Missing Matriarch

"The items on the fireplace are a piece of amber containing the remains of an extinct bug, a statue carved by the indigenous people of the Eversummer Island, and a lamp. I don't think there's anything related to this case in them, nor in my grandmother's chair. If I may give you a suggestion, you should be inquiring more about our backgrounds and motives rather than spending time investigating the items. Trust me, we have searched every nook and cranny of this manor in these past seven days, both physically and magically."

So are you saying this is like a witch hunt?

Who argued most with the Matriarch?

Nyx slides gracefully over to the blue hatted wizard, and once again curtseys respectfully.

If I may be so bold ma'am, I would appreciate it greatly if you would tell us what you remember of the Grand Wizardine's disappearance.

Cronk thank Mage Mabel for being nice to Cronk. What Mage Mabel's duties as Second Spiritist? What Mage Mabel's husband Duties as Vice Warlocker? How well Mage Mabel know Matriarch? Did Matriarch argue a lot with anyone? Does Mage Mabel like all In-Laws?

So are you saying this is like a witch hunt?

Who argued most with the Matriarch?

Altair shakes his head. "This is a very unfortunate situation to our family, I wish you would not make such connotations. I do not want harm to befall on any of my family members, but all points to the direction that somebody is hiding something."

"As for who argued the most with the Matriarch, I would have to say nobody. Grand Wizardine Zelda was not a person one could argue with. As a matriarch, her word was the law in our family."

Nyx slides gracefully over to the blue hatted wizard, and once again curtseys respectfully.

If I may be so bold ma'am, I would appreciate it greatly if you would tell us what you remember of the Grand Wizardine's disappearance.

As Nyx approached the lady in the blue dress and hat, she could feel an unwelcoming aura radiating from her.

heroicaquest3-beth.jpg

"Hmpf! I do not understand what my husband was thinking, inviting you lot over. We Ziegfrieds have always solved our issues within the family, and that was the way even before I came to this house fifteen years ago. I'll let you know that I am General Sourceress Beth Ziegfried, wife of that wimp called Altair."

"There was nothing unusual in the day before my grandmother-in-law's disappearance. The kids were playing around the mansion as usual, my husband was quarrelling with his brother like always, and Zed stuck to his study for the whole day. I remember doing some elementary channelling with Zelda and Mabel, but that is an ordinary household chore to us."

"I do have to wonder why Altair chose those brutes to accompany you mages. It's enough that we have strangers here, but the presence of swords is just insulting. Did you expect to get into a battle in our home?"

Cronk thank Mage Mabel for being nice to Cronk. What Mage Mabel's duties as Second Spiritist? What Mage Mabel's husband Duties as Vice Warlocker? How well Mage Mabel know Matriarch? Did Matriarch argue a lot with anyone? Does Mage Mabel like all In-Laws?

"Oh, tehehe! A Secondary Spiritist is responsible for upholding spiritual connections that are used by the Primary Spiritist, of course! And a Vice Warlocker acts as the right hand for the Warlocker-in-Chief in matters of magic law inforcement. But I don't think this information is of any interest to you, Cronkywonky. You are quite cute for an orc, did you know that?"

"Ooh, Matriarch did not argue, ever. I remember my father-in-law once hinting he might know something better than her, and you won't believe what a treatment he got. Zed looked like he'd gotten a good spanking, the poor old man!"

"I do love my family, of course! I grew up as a poor ranger's daughter in the woods of Moone, so living in this manor has been all I ever dreamed of."

Cronk would blush but Cronk doesn't know what color Cronk would turn. Cronk try anyway. :blush:

What does Mage Mabel remember about day Matriarch disappeared? Anything strange happen or anyone act strangely?

What does Mage Mabel remember about day Matriarch disappeared? Anything strange happen or anyone act strangely?

Mabel giggles.

"Oh no, nothing of the sort happened! It was just like any other day. I do worry about poor Zelda. I hope some miracle brings her back to us. She was like the mother I never had. Goldraum and Altair's mother had died before I married Goldraum, too, so Zelda has been the mother-figure for all of us."

Ok, I think we should start to post what we gathered so far, each time we add something, copy and paste the list into your post and add.

1. Disappears after an ordinary day

2. No magic was involved (or the magical trackers would have traced it they said)

3. Nobody seemed to have an argument with the Matriarch, so there must have been an incentive to kidnap her or whatever happened.(Money, power, grand magical abilities?)

High Conjurator, what sort of power would the Grand Matriarch have?

If it was a power grab/usurper, it must have been a younger Ziegfreid who felt jealous.

Who is the youngest person here?

After questioning the High Conjurator, Althior decided to talk with the only un-questioned mage, the one in the pink hat.

"Hello," he said. "may I ask a few questions?" he didn't wait for an answer.

"How are you related to the family?"

"When did you last see Ms. Zelda?"

"Do you know anyone, mage or servant, who was not fond of Ms. Zelda?"

"Do you know what was around Ms. Zelda's neck in the portrait?"

Althior, again, waited eagerly for answers.

After remaining silent while her companions questioned the mages Namyrra spoke for the first time.

"High Conjurator, is the head of your family always a matriarch, i.e. a woman? Or can it be a patriarch as well? And assuming we don't find her, who will become the new head of the family?"

"Also, can you remember any incidents lately where the matriarch overruled someone?"

"Sorry I've been silent, but watching my colleagues investigate has been interesting." Said Sylph, who appeared to be addressing Altiar.

Altier pointed to himself and mouthed "Me?"

Sylph nodded his head.

"So, as you've hinted, the kidnapping was likely 'in family.' Who amongst you would it not be surprising to Zelda to see in her bedroom at night, and who is most likely to be able to disable, AND OR repair the hexes guarding Zelda's room?

"Sylph, if the High Conjurator who would be most likely, he would have already solved this mystery. High Conjurator, my question is, are there any family members that your Grandmother exiled? And if so what are their current whereabouts?"

"Sylph, if the High Conjurator who would be most likely, he would have already solved this mystery.

"You miss understand me. That's not what I said at all. Although maybe I phrased it awkwardly. What I meant was, we have established that this kidnapping was likely perpetrated by a family member, and there would not appear to have been much of a struggle. A struggle would indicate that Zelda did not expect her midnight guest. So, obviously, she did expect her kidnapper, or at least was not surprised by the presence of her kidnapper. Therefore, I asked, who would it not surprise Zelda to see in the night in her room? Also I asked who has the closest familiarity with the protection hexes and the security system. Which family member installed them? Who could take them down? Who could restore them? Comprehend?"

If it was a power grab/usurper, it must have been a younger Ziegfreid who felt jealous.

Who is the youngest person here?

Altair pointed at the female wizard in the pink hat. "The youngest person here would be my little sister over there. But she certainly isn't able to craft a masterful scheme like this. Talk to her and you'll find out why."

After questioning the High Conjurator, Althior decided to talk with the only un-questioned mage, the one in the pink hat.

"Hello," he said. "may I ask a few questions?" he didn't wait for an answer.

"How are you related to the family?"

"When did you last see Ms. Zelda?"

"Do you know anyone, mage or servant, who was not fond of Ms. Zelda?"

"Do you know what was around Ms. Zelda's neck in the portrait?"

Althior, again, waited eagerly for answers.

The last wizard had a vacant smile on his face as Althior approached her. Althior could see that she was cross-eyed behind her orange glasses

heroicaquest3-chesterine.jpg

"Hello... Will you marry me...? Oh, probably not... Every man I've ever proposed has said no so far... Beth says I have to wait for a man to propose to me, but I'm tired of waiting... But of course I will answer your questions, nevertheless..."

"I am Minor Occultess Chesterine Ziegfried, the only daughter of Archmagister Zed Ziegfried... One day I aspire to become Major Occultess... But my father has forbidden me to study magic anymore ever since... the incident..."

"I saw grandmother for the last time in her bedroom, where I helped her braid her hair.... She loved to sleep with her hair tied in a braid..."

"Grandmother loved me the most, she said so... She said I was so... innocent..."

"That pendant...? It was her favorite pendant... She got it from her own mother... Back in Salmanda... I would love to visit Salmanda one day... Grandmother always told me stories of the sun reflecting from the golden domes..."

Then Chesterine just stared at Althior with the vacant expression on her face.

After remaining silent while her companions questioned the mages Namyrra spoke for the first time.

"High Conjurator, is the head of your family always a matriarch, i.e. a woman? Or can it be a patriarch as well? And assuming we don't find her, who will become the new head of the family?"

"Also, can you remember any incidents lately where the matriarch overruled someone?"

Altair nodded.

"The head of the family is always the eldest member. After Zelda, my father is the oldest, and would thus become the patriarch of the Ziegfrieds."

"I can remember many. Just the day before her disappearance, she forbade Chesterine from bringing a stray cat to the house. She liked to be in control like that. She even confiscated one of father's books just a few weeks ago."

"So, as you've hinted, the kidnapping was likely 'in family.' Who amongst you would it not be surprising to Zelda to see in her bedroom at night, and who is most likely to be able to disable, AND OR repair the hexes guarding Zelda's room?

Altair shrugged.

"My grandmother usually asked for Chesterine to help her get ready for bed, instead of the maid. She had a fondness over my disabled sister. Poor Chesterine is a living example of what happens when someone goes too far with the practice of magic... So Zelda would not be surprised to find her from her bedroom. And there are no magic seals guarding our rooms specifically, we've placed them all around the manor. We trust each other and our servants without a question, although now it seems to have been foolish."

"High Conjurator, my question is, are there any family members that your Grandmother exiled? And if so what are their current whereabouts?"

"Exiled? Oh no, nobody's been exiled! There are plenty of our relatives living elsewhere than in this manor, though. My father's cousin, Warlocker-in-Chief Fomalhaut, lives here in Eubric with his family, but the others are scattered around the world."

"My grandmother usually asked for Chesterine to help her get ready for bed, instead of the maid. She had a fondness over my disabled sister. Poor Chesterine is a living example of what happens when someone goes too far with the practice of magic... So Zelda would not be surprised to find her from her bedroom. And there are no magic seals guarding our rooms specifically, we've placed them all around the manor. We trust each other and our servants without a question, although now it seems to have been foolish."

"Interesting, would you mind being a little more specific as to the seals and security system? I'm no mage, but maybe you could shed a little a little more light on the subject. Also, Chesterine. What is the manner of her 'disablement?'"

"I can remember many. Just the day before her disappearance, she forbade Chesterine from bringing a stray cat to the house. She liked to be in control like that. She even confiscated one of father's books just a few weeks ago."

"Interesting, what book was this that she confiscated?"

"And on another note, could you shed some light on the nature of Chesterine's 'incident'?"

This Chesterine thing has opened up a new can of worms. "Incidents" and the fact that she was the one in the bedroom.

High Conjurator, if you think it is foolish that Chesterine did it, you also thought it was foolish to think a family member did it when apparently, they did.

Servants are out, I don't think they could overpower a wizard.

"I wouldn't say that, we haven't met any servants yet. For all we know they could be undercover from somewhere else. But we know nothing of the servants. High Conjurator, will we be able to question the servants when we are done here?"

This Chesterine thing has opened up a new can of worms. "Incidents" and the fact that she was the one in the bedroom.

"What are you insinuating? So far, it would appear that she damaged her mind with magic. An accident, not anything malicious. *whispers so that Chesterine can't hear* Do you think that she may have done away with her in an infantile fit of rage? The incident with her stray cat would certainly provide motive, but she does not seem the type for making a grand plan. I doubt her ability to evade security hexes.*"

High Conjurator, if you think it is foolish that Chesterine did it, you also thought it was foolish to think a family member did it when apparently, they did.

"What are you talking about? The High Conjugator DOES think a family member did it, or at least thinks there's a high possibility that one did."

"It certainly does not. That 'Ssshhhooossshhhtttrrr' fellow looked like he could hold his own in a bounty hunt fight!"

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Several questions still remained unanswered, but before any of the wizards could respond, the room went pitch black dark all of a sudden. There were a few frightened screams, and then everyone started calling out for each other. However, they all fell silent when an eerie purple light crept out of the fireplace. It produced several squirming tentacles of sparkling light.

heroicaquest3-curse.jpg

A booming voice echoed in the parlour.

"CURSED BE THIS FAMILY! ETERNALLY DAMNED TO REPEAT THE MISTAKES OF THE PAST! PRIDE, HATE AND GREED WILL PREVAIL OVER LOVE, AND DEVOUR YOU ALL! AS POWERFUL AS YOU THINK YOU ARE, YOU ARE NOTHING BUT MY PAWNS! ONLY FURNITURE IN MY HOUSE!"

A brilliant purple light shot out of the fireplace, temporarily blinding the heroes. When they regained sight, none of the wizards were anywhere to be seen.

heroicaquest3-parlourempty.jpg

What will the party do next?

Cronk not quite sure what happened but one thing clear. Matriarch still around here somewhere. Cronk think maybe we should look for now missing wizards. Cronk would be sad if nice Mage Mabel in trouble. Cronk not so sad if Purple-y mage in trouble but Cronk suppose party should rescue Purple-y mage anyway.

"We take our reward and run! :tongue: Just kidding. I say we should search the manor, find the Ziegfrieds and hopefully find the Matriarch along the way. Was that red chair there before?"

Friend Mage Althior right. Cronk not recall seeing chair there. Cronk will examine fireplace too. Weird light come from there. Maybe there is secret pasage way or something. Cronk search it. Maybe Mages in party try using special magic to detect anything odd about chair or fireplace?

"If Cronk checks the fireplace, I'll check the chair. Could there be a reason the lights coming out of the fireplace were purple? And could the shape have anything to do with it?"

Edited by K-nut

Cronk approaches the weird-looking red armchair. He sniffs it, he pokes it and finally sits in it. A second later his party members see him flying in an arch across the parlour (luckily his armor protects him from the fall). Stunned by the sight, the party turns to the armchair. It is now moving and growling at them. They see that it has a face, and it is trying to talk to them.

"I... can't... control... myself... Help!"

The party realizes that the armchair couldn't be anyone else but High Conjurator Altair transformed. But the chair attacks them ferociously, so they have to fight back.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

heroicaquest3-battlearmchair.jpg

Enemies:

Altair the Armchair

Type: Mechanic

Level: 2

Health: 12/12

Special:
Quick Nap
– makes the target fall asleep, forcing it to missing its turn until woken up by a roll of 1, 2, 3 or 4, or until the effect is remedied.

Drops: Grand Tonic

Party:

sig.jpg

Althior Emorith
(played by K-nut)

Level 1 Mage

Power
: 4

Health
: 5/5

Ether

Gold
: 5

Inventory
: Dragoro (WP: 3) ,Topaz (Lightning), Potion, Bedroll

6040477366_1cbdd80346_t.jpg

Cronk
(played by CorneliusMurdock)

Level 1 Knight

Power

Health
: 10/10

Gold
: 0

Inventory
: Longsword (WP: 3), Shield (SP: 2), Potion (2), Bedroll

herocia.png

Signor Bacari
(played by Capt.JohnPaul)

Level 1 Ranger

Power

Health
: 6/6

Gold
:2

Inventory
: Crossbow (WP: 3,
poisoned
), Potion, Bedroll

ava-namyrra.jpg

Namyrra Uq
(played by Quarryman)

Level 1 Mage

Power

Health

Ether

Gold
: 10

Inventory
: Bone-staff (WP: 3), Amethyst (Darkness), Potion

5909627714_af21b5c29f_t.jpg

Nyx
(played by Pandora)

Level 6 Mage (Party Leader)

Power
: 10

Health

Ether

Gold
: 17

Inventory
: Dawnstar II (WP: 4), Ruby (Fire), Amethyst (Darkness), 2 Potions, Remedy, Tonic, Bedroll, 2 Bones

ava-sylph.jpg

Sylph Solanum
(played by Dannylonglegs)

Level 1 Cleric

Power

Health
: 9/9

Ether

Gold
: 0

Inventory
: Staff (WP: 3), Potion, Smoke Bomb, Remedy, Bedroll

Party Leader, choose the order of action.

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.