Sandy

Heroica RPG General Discussion

Are we allowed variants of the weapons that are shown? I noticed that the Kingdoms-style pole-axe isn't pictured. I would like to create my own pole-axe from the Prince of Persia axe blades for my character and hope that will be OK for a Barbarian as they can use both spears and axes in the weapons list?

So it is something like a tabletop RPG. Again, thank goodness for all those weeks reading Darths and Droids.

I'll have to post my charecter next week when I get back from my trip though. Until then, you've done a smashing job as usual Sandy.

Again, thank goodness for all those weeks reading Darths and Droids.

You need to be a mage. Ask Sandy if you can cast Summon Bigger Fish.

Posted my character. I'd made Cronk up when the game was first announced but when reading the character classes, I almost decided to make a new one that was a cleric. But Cronk was already ready to go. And I'm inherently lazy.

Hopefully there won't be so many knights that my services won't be required. :grin:

Wow, this looks amazing! :wub_drool: It's very clear that a lot of time was put into this by Sandy and the Wargames forum staff. I just have some questions before I create my character.

- If an enemy falls into more than one type, how are conflicting or aiding elements determined? For example, an enemy is both flying and mechanic, and is attacked by a wind element (sapphire). How is damage determined then?

- For Clerics and Mages, is the option to heal/cast decided before the dice roll or after it? Also, if shield is not rolled, then ether is depleted if they choose to heal/cast, even if the heal/spell fails, correct?

- Consumable items can be used on anyone in battle, right?

- Do bombs affect their own elements? For example, would a lightning bomb affect a lightning creature?

- If one chose to be a knight, would they be able to choose both a shield and a sword?

- And, most importantly, what is the adventure aspect of the game? If this is coming in due time I apologize.

Looking forward to playing this.

Hehehe. I'm so excited! I love stories, and while quests are going to be fun, one game where I get to develop one character will be awesome! I'll get pictures up tomorrow, this looks like a lot of fun!

AND QUESTION TIME: Not related to the game mechanics, but just for you, my fellow story lover Sandy. How fleshed out are the houses of Nobles? Do you know all their names? Does the over-all story have a, well, direction, yet? :wub: So very excited.

So many questions! I hope I managed to answer them all below, but give me a nudge if I missed something

If I were to create a character, would I post the info in this thread or PM you the details Sandy?

Like the rules state, you post the character details to your signature, and then introduce yourself in the Heroica Hall topic.

Would you mind if a) copied the rules over to a wiki, b) tweaked them a bit to be not as Eurobrick-centric and/or c) expanded them for support of non-fantasy worlds? I've had my eye on turning all the various collectible minifig series into job classes. Naturally, I'd give you full attribution as the source, with a link back to these pages, etc.

I'm honoured that you think this game is worth spreading around. Of course you can do all those things, if you remember to credit me and Eurobricks. :wink:

EDIT: Got my character in my sig. Is this style alright? I had problems with my sig working.

It's alright, except that you also get a Potion, and the Topaz is an elemental gem, so you don't need to list it twice.

Just to be clear, do we post our Hero in the Heroica Hall? And do we have to include a fancy story? Or just kind of an intro?

Thanks!

Any type of introduction is fine. If you're not one for fancy stories, you can just say "hi" to the people gathered there. Of course I'd appreciate if you used more words than one, though. :laugh:

Are we allowed variants of the weapons that are shown? I noticed that the Kingdoms-style pole-axe isn't pictured. I would like to create my own pole-axe from the Prince of Persia axe blades for my character and hope that will be OK for a Barbarian as they can use both spears and axes in the weapons list?

Of course you are, as long as they're LEGO weapons and fit with the setting. A pole-axe would belong to the axe category.

Wow, this looks amazing! :wub_drool: It's very clear that a lot of time was put into this by Sandy and the Wargames forum staff. I just have some questions before I create my character.

- If an enemy falls into more than one type, how are conflicting or aiding elements determined? For example, an enemy is both flying and mechanic, and is attacked by a wind element (sapphire). How is damage determined then?

- For Clerics and Mages, is the option to heal/cast decided before the dice roll or after it? Also, if shield is not rolled, then ether is depleted if they choose to heal/cast, even if the heal/spell fails, correct?

- Consumable items can be used on anyone in battle, right?

- Do bombs affect their own elements? For example, would a lightning bomb affect a lightning creature?

- If one chose to be a knight, would they be able to choose both a shield and a sword?

- And, most importantly, what is the adventure aspect of the game? If this is coming in due time I apologize.

1. In your example, the two types cancel each other out, so a Flying Mechanic type enemy would take normal damage from wind spells. If the enemy was a Flying Vermin type, though, the wind spell would cause quadruple damage against that enemy, since both those types are weak to the element.

2. Like it says in the rules, the players choose their actions before the die is rolled. Healing and casting are also affected by the die roll just like attacks are. Ether is only depleted upon successful casting and healing.

3. Yes, when you use an item you also choose who to use it on (yourself, any ally, or an enemy).

4. Bombs are like elemental spells, so they follow the same rules of weakness and immunity as the spells do. Thus a Lightning Bomb will not have any effect on Electric-type enemies.

5. Yes, all classes start out with one weapon with the power of 3, one potion, and one class-specific item. For knights, the last one is a shield with the power of 2.

6. The adventure part are the quests. Not all quests take place inside Eubric, they can take place anywhere in the fictional world.

AND QUESTION TIME: Not related to the game mechanics, but just for you, my fellow story lover Sandy. How fleshed out are the houses of Nobles? Do you know all their names? Does the over-all story have a, well, direction, yet?

Of course all the six noble families have names (and symbols and all), and of course there's a main plotline that will unravel due time. It's me you're talking about here, after all! :grin:

Thank you for all of your questions! And don't hesitate to ask more if you're unsure about something.

A REQUEST TO ALL PLAYERS: When you sign into a quest at the Heroica Hall, do it clearly so I won't miss it. Put it in bold or underline it, whatever to make it stand out. As said, you can sign into multiple quests if you want, but you can only participate in one at a time (which is logical, since your character cannot be in two places at the same time).

NOTE: Brickdoctor, K-nut, Fred Fred Burger, CorneliusMurdock and all future players, take note that everybody starts out with one Potion in their inventory as well, regardless of chosen job class.

Sandy, how much Ether should I have? 10 for level 6, right?

Sandy, how much Ether should I have? 10 for level 6, right?

Yes. You start with 5 Ether on level 1, and with 5 level-ups, you now have 10 Ether. The same goes for Nyx.

Yes. You start with 5 Ether on level 1, and with 5 level-ups, you now have 10 Ether. The same goes for Nyx.

Thanks! Though Nyx had already figured it out :blush:

Thanks for answering the pole-axe question, Sandy. I have a couple more questions, if I may.

The classes are rough guides to characters, right? I am looking at creating a warrior-priest, and the best class fit is Barbarian. However the classic image of a Barbarian, and fostered by the job class information, is big lunk with a loincloth who doesn't say much. I want this character to be civilised without being a Knight class as already there are a few of those signed up.

Also I am puzzled as to why the Cleric base health is higher than the Barbarian - 9 versus 8. I would have thought that the two Fighter classes (Knight and Barbarian) would be the two with the most health.

The classes are rough guides to characters, right? I am looking at creating a warrior-priest, and the best class fit is Barbarian. However the classic image of a Barbarian, and fostered by the job class information, is big lunk with a loincloth who doesn't say much. I want this character to be civilised without being a Knight class as already there are a few of those signed up.

Of course you do not need to go with the stereotypical description of the job classes. If you want, you can have your Gentleman Barbarian to play as, it'll only make your character that much interesting.

And, if you reach Level 15 in the game, the advanced class options open up to you. Each advanced class is a mix of two basic job classes, although you are restricted to choosing from those that derive from your initial basic job class. So you can be a barbarian-cleric or a barbarian-knight in just 14 level-ups. :wink: But I'll give out more information on those later.

Also I am puzzled as to why the Cleric base health is higher than the Barbarian - 9 versus 8. I would have thought that the two Fighter classes (Knight and Barbarian) would be the two with the most health.

Life is full of surprises, innit? :grin: The main reason is that Barbarian is a powerful attacker, yet suffers in defense. The Cleric is a sturdy healer, but especially if placed in the back row, a lousy attacker. It's all about balance, you see. :wink:

[...]

"So, what's your story, darling?" asked a scruff voice suddenly. Ellaria looked up to see the matron of the saloon, a homely female orc dressed in garish pink. "You can tell Scheherazade your worries. I've heard a thousand tales, you see, and told a thousand myself."

[...]

I just love this part, really subtle :wink::tongue: .

This looks really great, a lot of thought and effort have been visibly put into this. I think the accompanying MOCs are well done as well (gotta love the quest board :wub: ). Great job on this, Sandy! :thumbup:

I already have a character in mind, I'll post it shortly in the corresponding thread. This'll hopefully be great fun :sweet: !

This looks really fun, I might play it. I won't be able to create or photograph my character until next week though since I'm away from my LEGO, but I guess that gives me some time to observe a game or two I hope (Since I've never played any of the games in here, and want to make sure I fully understand the game mechanics and such before actually playing)

I already have a character in mind, I'll post it shortly in the corresponding thread. This'll hopefully be great fun :sweet: !

Loving your character. Clearly inspired by True Blood, am I right? :wink:

Loving your character. Clearly inspired by True Blood, am I right? :wink:

Shoot! Didn't think it would be that apparent :tongue: . Yeah, I based him on the True Blood character, but I thought the references I snuck in were more subtle than they apparently are. I'll give my Heroica Eric my own touch, off course :wink: .

Just to clear things up, my character is not a vampire. I only described him as being paler than the others, because he comes from the North, which in my mind is a cliché version of Scandinavia with lots of snow, little sunlight and short days :tongue: (I know Scandinavia is not really like that). The "warmblood" monniker he gives the others is not a reference to him being (Un)dead, rather he means to denote those whose blood is warm by living in a (more) sunny country/place.

Thanks for the quick reply, Sandy. I just have one more question: when/how do you encounter shops? During a quest, or whenever you want to buy something?

I only described him as being paler than the others, because he comes from the North, which in my mind is a cliché version of Scandinavia with lots of snow, little sunlight and short days :tongue: (I know Scandinavia is not really like that).

Oh yes it is, during the winter at least. Trust me, I live there. :hmpf:

Thanks for the quick reply, Sandy. I just have one more question: when/how do you encounter shops? During a quest, or whenever you want to buy something?

Didn't you hear the latest rumours? :tongue: The Marketplace will open as soon as possible, but there may be shopping possibilities during some quests as well. But shopping is mostly done in between quests.

Er, it's possible to change Quests like that, right? I didn't think it was a good idea for a level one to do a Quest on his own. :blush:

I was just wondering, if enough people signed up for a quest and the quest master had everything prepared would it be possible to start a quest early?

Well, technically it would be possible, but it wouldn't be fair to other players, really. At least I am going to stick with the set deadlines - unless of course there aren't enough sign-ups to some quest, that is. But it seems that won't be a problem, with so many people joining the game.

A warm welcome to all of you new players, by the way! Let's make this a fun experience together. :grin:

Er, it's possible to change Quests like that, right? I didn't think it was a good idea for a level one to do a Quest on his own. :blush:

Oh, the sign-ups won't finish until Friday! I merely posted the current situation for everyone to see. So don't worry, you will surely get companions into whichever quest you'll be chosen (as each quest has a minimum amount of players required). :wink: And you can sign into multiple quests, too, though you'll only be chosen into one.

All three quests are designed for beginning players, anyway.

I see what your saying. It is kind of unfair to any one who had planed to quest on that day or anyone who would have signed up late. Thanks for clearing that up.

Anyway, I have another question. How much will it follow the actual story of the board game? Will their be a dark druid quest later on? Or maybe the Ork king leading a rebellion?

Sorry for all my annoying questions.

I have another question not related to Heroica. When I try to go to my profile I get the error message telling me I'm not authorized to view member profiles so I can't us my Personal messenger or edit my avatar or sig. If someone could help or direct me to someone else who could help I'd be very thankful.(man I feel like a nube right now:blush:)

I have another question not related to Heroica. When I try to go to my profile I get the error message telling me I'm not authorized to view member profiles so I can't us my Personal messenger or edit my avatar or sig. If someone could help or direct me to someone else who could help I'd be very thankful.(man I feel like a nube right now:blush:)

You have to make ten posts first.

You need 10 posts first. May I also suggest introducing yourself in the Hello! My name is... forum? That way we can all welcome you to the community and find out more about you.

Edit: Dang! Brickdoctor beat me by two minutes.

Edited by K-nut