Superkalle

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 4 Bugs and brick errors

Using wheel 6248 for scaffolding and tire 3483 or 61254, mount it somewhere, remove the wheel while leaving tire and pin in place. Mount the round 2x2 brick, moved the brick and tired, rotated them, etc no crash.

What tire did you use exactly? Can you repeat the instance that lead to the crash? If not, you probably suffered a random crash for no reason. If you can reproduce the crash, specify what parts was used.

I've used 1x '3483 TYRE LOW NARROW 017mm', 2x 'Plate 2x2 Round', 1x 'Plate 1x1 Round', & 1x 'Connector Peg With Knob'.

I tried building that wheel myself, and I got no crash. I'm running LDD 4.1.7 on...

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)

2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad CPU

4 GB of RAM

DirectX version: 11.0

GPU processor: GeForce GTS 250

Driver version: 275.33

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

I feel I ought to point out that I get that same error message occasionally when trying to close out LDD. But since I generally have just saved before exiting, and since I was trying to close out LDD anyway, it does me no real harm.

5994 - Catapult - Theme: Knight's Kingdom II

5994_catapult_v2.png

LXF File

Errors:

-I could not find part #47576 in LDD. UPDATE August 9, 2011: LDD 4.1.8 made this part available!

-The axles can't center individually in their bearings, but I can center both axles simultaneously.

-I cannot perfectly center the horse helmet on the clip.

-When I tried to activate the catapult's hinge, it moved the whole catapult as well as the hinge! :laugh: It reminded me of cheap medieval engineering in certain comedies and cartoons. In order to get the hinge into a proper position, I had to remove one of the TECHNIC pins and the bearing from the rest of the model, rotate it, and then put it back.

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

Bizzare errors, both the hinging one, and the centering :tongue:

(how did you figure out the centering on BTW, it's a great workaround :classic:)

Bizzare errors, both the hinging one, and the centering :tongue:

(how did you figure out the centering on BTW, it's a great workaround :classic:)

First I selected one axle and moved it. The axle would only move through the bearing in large increments. :wall:

Then, I selected both axles and moved them together. This time, the axles moved through their bearings smoothly. :sweet:

I think there ought to be a slide position control like there is for hinges (including a slide handle interface and a numeric input box).

-Toa Of Justice

I found this two errors, and I think nobody mentioned them here (I didn't read the whole topic, sorry :blush: ). So i apologize if this is already known.

First one is that you can't attach knight visir to a helmet (this wasn't the case when LDD 4 came out, but when it updated to 4.1.7 this error came with it).

Parts: 2594 visir & 30124 mini crash helmet

helmet_visir.jpg

Second error is with this coupling plate. You can't attach a 1x"something more than 1" under or on the hole in front, while in reality it should be possible and it was possible in LDD 3.

Part: 3176 coupling plate 2x2

coupling_plate.jpg

I'm not sure if I explained it all well, but the problems should be clear from the pictures.

Edited by omerai

Part: 3176 coupling plate 2x2 (Image)

I think LDD acts correctly: in real bricks is it impossible to connect the 2x1 plate as you show in the picture.

It is possible to attach it in the central stud (Image) but LDD don't recognize the connection.

NOTE: if I move the assembly on the left hand (referring to my image), LDD crashes every time. No issues with the one on the right hand.

EDIT:

HERE you can find the lxf file with the placements. Beware that one of that will crash your LDD! :tongue:

Thank you Calabar for your reply. The thing you did is what I was trying to explain, but didn't do it very well.

In LDD 3 the program recognized that connection and there was no problem.

I found this two errors, and I think nobody mentioned them here (I didn't read the whole topic, sorry :blush: ). So i apologize if this is already known.

No problem

First one is that you can't attach knight visir to a helmet (this wasn't the case when LDD 4 came out, but when it updated to 4.1.7 this error came with it).

I think I've seen this reported before, but good find in any case :classic:

Second error is with this coupling plate. You can't attach a 1x"something more than 1" under or on the hole in front, while in reality it should be possible and it was possible in LDD 3.

Part: 3176 coupling plate 2x2

coupling_plate.jpg

There is an error in the latest version. You are correct, a one wide plate plate (of any length) should be able to connect both on the underside and top-side. The technique was for example used on the fork-lift in the 4999 VESTAS set. From what I've heard, this error has been fixed for the next version of LDD (whenever that will come out).

As a side-note, there is some debate wether this technique should be concidered LEGO Legal or not, since the hole is not really meant to house a stud (it is a very tight fit). I haven't seen the technique used in any recent sets. If anyone has, it'd be interesting to know.

As a side-note, there is some debate wether this technique should be concidered LEGO Legal or not, since the hole is not really meant to house a stud (it is a very tight fit). I haven't seen the technique used in any recent sets. If anyone has, it'd be interesting to know.

10197 Fire Brigade uses it on step 16 of the top level (visible on page 49 of the second instruction booklet).

I imagine the reason why parts larger than 1x1 won't attach is the same problem that occurs with most Technic holes. Specifically, connectivity between studs and technic holes is programmed on a case-by-case basis to prevent illegal connections. In the case of part 3176, however, there shouldn't even be the possibility for illegal connections, since there's only one Technic hole. The illegal connection this programming is designed to prevent involves attaching multiple studs across multiple Technic holes, hence why 1x1 parts are allowed and larger parts are not-- 1x1 parts don't have multiple studs to attach by.

Incidentally, the fact that that part's hole is a Technic hole rather than a System anti-stud also explains why it is tighter than most stud connections.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/omerai/LDD-errors/helmet_visir.jpg

I believe 2594 is designed to fit 3842 (the classic helmet), not 30124 (the modern helmet).

Try it in this LXF file.

-Toa Of Justice

It seems the new release don't fix the problem of the helmet, while fix the other problem mentioned.

Again about the helmet, my Black Knight says the visor is designed to fit the modern helmet too!

I was disappointed to not see this bug fixed... I'm quite sure that it was reported that at least one of these two pieces have a collision bounding box issue, but I'll report it again if it was misunderstood or accidentally overlooked...

You can see that all panel fairing pairs except for 64394 + 64680 can be placed next to one another. Poor 64394 + 64680. They must be lonely... never being able to touch. Never knowing the comfort that comes from being forever bound by a trusty 2780. (I'll stop there... it's usually at this point where I start getting strange looks from my girlfriend, who's no doubt having second thoughts by now :)

LXF File

lddbug.png

I was disappointed to not see this bug fixed... I'm quite sure that it was reported that at least one of these two pieces have a collision bounding box issue, but I'll report it again if it was misunderstood or accidentally overlooked...

You can see that all panel fairing pairs except for 64394 + 64680 can be placed next to one another. Poor 64394 + 64680. They must be lonely... never being able to touch. Never knowing the comfort that comes from being forever bound by a trusty 2780. (I'll stop there... it's usually at this point where I start getting strange looks from my girlfriend, who's no doubt having second thoughts by now :)

LXF File

I can't remember seeing that before to be honest. So I say like I always say: Well spotted my good man. I'll report it to TLG so they can put it into their giant TO-DO pile :classic:

No, but seriously though, my experience is that in some cases it can take up 6 months for a brick bug to be fixed. I know those brick geometry guys at TLG are swamped with other stuff besides LDD.

What is it with LDD ?

I was building the White House (21006) and I got to step 15,

I could not place a "Plate 1 x 2 with 1 Stud" where it was to go becouse the D...... program would not let me but I could put it any where else but where it was meant to go . I deleted and redid the step and it still would not let me. :sadnew:

Edited by Phantom59

What is it with LDD ?

I was building the White House (21006) and I got to step 15,

I could not place a "Plate 1 x 2 with 1 Stud" where it was to go becouse the D...... program would not let me but I could put it any where else but where it was meant to go . I deleted and redid the step and it still would not let me. :sadnew:

Sometimes it helps to change the view a bit, as occasionally the logic that tries to determine where in 3D space you're trying to put something just can't quite work it out. For what it's worth I built 21006 myself the other day and it can certainly be done without error.

Helmet w. Tubes, the Aquashark/Raider dive suit, continues to refuse to attach to a minifigure head+torso.

Apologies if this has been reported before, but as it has not been fixed in 4.1.8 and it's a SCHOOLBOY ERROR I can't help myself.

The colour palettes (both the palette filter and the colour tool in various themes) are FIXED SIZE. This is an unforgivable error in a windowing environment in general, but when LDD is run on any netbook with the typical 1024x600 resolution, this is the unusable result:

6052963851_b8b675e482.jpg

6052963725_f09bf7ae2a.jpg

This affects multiple themes including Mindstorms and Extended, and is a serious UI design fault.

Apologies if this has been reported before, but as it has not been fixed in 4.1.8 and it's a SCHOOLBOY ERROR I can't help myself.

The colour palettes (both the palette filter and the colour tool in various themes) are FIXED SIZE. This is an unforgivable error in a windowing environment in general, but when LDD is run on any netbook with the typical 1024x600 resolution, this is the unusable result:

Yes, that's very annoying and it's not just the colour tool as all the floating palettes suffer similarly. The minifig head decoration tool is one of the worst offenders, it doesn't entirely fit onto the display on my widescreen 15" laptop (1366x768) which is hardly a small or uncommon screen size.

I also apologize if that has already been reported. And while not as serious as a SCHOOLBOY ERROR, it does seem to present a problem :)

There should be no problem whatsoever with replacing the 3M cross axle with the 3M connector peg you see in this screenshot. It's physically possible, but this is one situation where the change from "place things wherever you want" to "intelligent snap points" is failing to allow valid placement.

Cheers ~ Perry

ldd_3m_connector_pin.png

Edited by PerryMakes

@PerryMakes

I'm not sure I've understood the problem. Could you explain with more details?

PS: remember the announcement post of Bonaparte about the maximum size allowed for images.

There should be no problem whatsoever with replacing the 3M cross axle with the 3M connector peg you see in this screenshot. It's physically possible, but this is one situation where the change from "place things wherever you want" to "intelligent snap points" is failing to allow valid placement.

Actually there is. It's an "illegal" connection, since the peg isn't able to snap into place. That leaves the peg in a permanent state of compression, which can ultimately cause damage to both the peg and the liftarm it's passing through.