xwingyoda

First Aqua Raiders and City pics on Amazon.de

i like the last picture/set quite a lot, the rest looks like crap to me... i have the feeling that i've seen this all before...
hmmm... it sounds like people are feeling the shipwreck set the most... which is by far my least favorite... can anyone elaborate on its greatness ???

and snefore... what do you mean "you get the feeling", either you have examples or you don't... LEGO doesn't have that many similar themes to this... prehaps you are referring to Divers or MOCs ???

--------------------------------------------------

8-

i absolutely hate this round of new pictures. >:-( it's because they are so much better than the exo force ones. :'-( :'-(

i agree....this new wave is much better than the first wave and absolutely lovely and definitely going to be hits with AFOLs.

too bad the new round of exo force pictures totally changed my view of the line. looked terrible. let's hope it's all due to bad photography... :-P

hmmm... it sounds like people are feeling the shipwreck set the most... which is by far my least favorite... can anyone elaborate on its greatness ???

Because the shipwreck uses basic bricks and it looks like something that's been lying under water for a couple of centuries. I know, Pirates/H&A fans were hoping for a better wreck, but honestly, we knew from the beginning that the set would cost €30, so this provides quite a lot for that price.

And the sub looks cool.

Savvy? ;-)

and snefore... what do you mean "you get the feeling", either you have examples or you don't... LEGO doesn't have that many similar themes to this... prehaps you are referring to Divers or MOCs ???

- BrickMiner

well these sets remind me of these:

at1.jpg

the last one looks more like a modern divers set, but that's ok, it's stylish, it's got great details and the model looks great, stickers or not...

No, I can't agree with that at all, Sne. Why? Because Aquaraiders has many good differences from Alpha Team DS:

1: DS has major air holes in almost every sub (which is poor design). Aquaraiders has subs that so far, look entirely closed in (Inprovement 1)

2. DS has lots of <insert that tiresome argument> parts (The large arms, the Jack stone pieces, the diver suit base), but more importantly, relies almost entirely on those large curved slopes and windows, making the ships look ugly. Aquaraiders has models that are all very unique, and not just a rehash of each other, and they have tons of useful pieces, unlike DS (improvement 2)

3. The animals in DS (if you can even call them that) are ugly hybrids of machines and sea creatures, and have completely ugly designs that look almost nothing like the intended animal (because they, again, use lots of juniorize pieces). Aquaraiders has completely brick built animals that actually look pretty much like the intended animal, and can be scraped for tons of useful pieces (unlike DS). (Improvement 3)

4: DS has a CRUD base that looks like a 1997 UFO on legs. Aquaraiders has a cool looking base that is much closer to the cool Aquanauts base from 1995 (only much better). (Improvement 4)

5: DS has hardly any acessories (those werid orbs don't really count), and sci fi figures that are useless in MOCing. Aquaraiders has lots of treasure, skeletons, reefs, and minisubs, and they also have figures that have on a modern wetsuit and underwater snorkel, which is hardly sci-fi. (Improvement 5)

6: The most important of all: unlike Deep Sea, Aquaraiders has subs that look much like what would be real 10 years from now. Not too futuristic, but still stylish (the subs in the crab set, the smallest set, and the base set are not nearly as far fetched as you may think). Deep Sea's subs are imposible in real life, and always will be. X-D (Improvement 6)

Now, that's 6 good things that are present on Aquaraiders, but not on DS. 6 things that make the 2 lines totally different from each other (with Aquaraiders being MUCH better). I'd even go so far as to say that the only thing in common between the two is the yellow color, and those turbine pieces that aren't really that bad. I may be wrong, but I bet you that if you took some time to think, you'd agree with at least half of what I said. I really don't see much in common with DS and Aquaraiders at all, and if you do, IMO, you are not looking hard enough. ;-)

No, I can't agree with that at all, Sne. Why? Because Aquaraiders has many good differences from Alpha Team DS:

[...]

I really don't see much in common with DS and Aquaraiders at all, and if you do, IMO, you are not looking hard enough. ;-)

Sne never said AR looks like DS, he just said AR reminds him of DS. And frankly, me too.

You're (probably) right in with your list, but still, AR and DS do have minor things in common, and that's enough to remind someone of the one by looking at the other.

Edit: Sne, is there anything that will please you these days? I haven't heard one positve comment from you about the pictures that have been released and were released nearly a month ago! Correct me if i'm wrong, though.

Space 2007... maybe... >:-)

Because the shipwreck uses basic bricks and it looks like something that's been lying under water for a couple of centuries. I know, Pirates/H&A fans were hoping for a better wreck, but honestly, we knew from the beginning that the set would cost

Space 2007... maybe...

*Sigh* I hope so, otherwise poor Sne is going to have a pretty boring year lego wise. X-D

but still, AR and DS do have minor things in common, and that's enough to remind someone of the one by looking at the other.

Likewise, I never said that DS and AR had nothing in common, either. They just to me are totally different themes, but that's more in my preference. Truth to be told, I didn't have a feeling of deja'vu at all when I saw the first AR pictures. But, I'm usually not as hard on TLC anyway, so it's probably just me. ;-)

(DS and all of Alpha Team is a good example)

Actually, DS was the only AT subtheme I really didn't like. The origanal and the Ice theme were not half bad, IMO. I liked the transforming functions in Ice AT, and the origanal was a bit cool in some areas. Still not my favorite theme though, thats for sure. ;-)

5: DS has hardly any acessories (those werid orbs don't really count), and sci fi figures that are useless in MOCing. Aquaraiders has lots of treasure, skeletons, reefs, and minisubs, and they also have figures that have on a modern wetsuit and underwater snorkel, which is hardly sci-fi. (Improvement 5)
That's the same snorkel worn by Divers and, yes, the Alpha Team agents in Mission Deep Sea. By the way, each "weird orb" means another *skull* !
I'd even go so far as to say that the only thing in common between the two is the yellow color, and those turbine pieces that aren't really that bad. I may be wrong, but I bet you that if you took some time to think, you'd agree with at least half of what I said. I really don't see much in common with DS and Aquaraiders at all, and if you do, IMO, you are not looking hard enough. ;-)
Smoke-colored windshields, bionicle tridents, many of the same curved pieces--there are a few things in common, I think. Of course, I actually liked Alpha Team. *sweet*

just because things have been done wrong previously doesn't mean it should stop me from liking it when it is done properly ??? i am looking at this very possitively... LEGO is making huge improvements and learning from their mistakes in the past couple years (DS and all of Alpha Team is a good example)... and this is very encouraging with the return of the space theme soon ;-)

- BrickMiner

i don't think AT (at least the yellow sets) was that bad, in fact, it has a special spot in my heart because it was part of the lego sets/themes that brought me back. i loved those minifigs, computers, rotors... compared to the old Aquaraiders, with which i always compared AT, AT was so much more sofisticated... the fact that i loved or hated AT doesn't have any effect on what i think of the current line, even though they should have created the AR sets the first time around...

sure, but when you write...

i like the last picture/set quite a lot, the rest looks like crap to me...
followed by...
i have the feeling that i've seen this all before...
it makes it seem there was an influence ;-)

--------------------------------------------------

your original post was...

i like the last picture/set quite a lot, the rest looks like crap to me... i have the feeling that i've seen this all before...

- BrickMiner

So what became of this set? Based on the comments, most agree (including myself) that it was the best set of the collection.

AR_7776.jpg

So what became of this set? Based on the comments, most agree (including myself) that it was the best set of the collection.

That's a good question. From what I've seen the AR sets so far haven't blown me away and I've been waiting for this one to show up.

Maybe the other sets were teasers :-)

AR_7776.jpg

The Shipwreck set will most likely be an exclusive (has that look to it) or released later this year.

-l2k-

None of those are really shipwrecks so I think Mr. Brickster is just confused.

I also think this set is the best of line, it has the most realistic submarine and the green snakes are great, alot more realistic than red. There was only one in HP Graveyard Duel, so right now it's pretty rare. It also adds pretty intricate botanical detail to any forest MOC.

That was my point ;-)

I also think this set is the best of line, it has the most realistic submarine and the green snakes are great, alot more realistic than red. There was only one in HP Graveyard Duel, so right now it's pretty rare. It also adds pretty intricate botanical detail to any forest MOC.

Agreed, that one's definitely on my buy list, the others most likely ain't...

No, I've seen both of these, but nether is the set I'm thinking of.

You're correct, but I thought there was a diver set with the base/bottom of a ship similar to this new AR set. I'm going to do some research. Maybe it was a MOC I saw a while back, but I could have sworn Divers made a set like this.

This is the closest I could find, but I really thought there was a larger set with brown pieces:

6557-1.jpg

Definately not. I'm just wondering if I am mistaken. I thought there was a large set with the bottom of a ship. I've searched quite a bit, but have not found.