Sign in to follow this  
Hinckley

MOC: Flooded Castle in Ruins

Someone posted it on FBTB? :sweet: I'll have to go take a look. Thanks!

I saw this on flickr the other day and thought you only photographed it Hinck. :tongue: Only now do I see it on EB and find out you're partly responsible for this. Both castles are really impressive: the eye for detail on the sandy castle, not only on the outside, but certainly also on the exposed interior, and of course the sheer immenseness of the dark castle. The round tower is a real eye-catcher.

(headlight brick-based SNOT and stressed bricks)

I don't think they're even stressed, as they're alternating rows of three headlight bricks and a round 1x1 brick, which then get covered by a 1x4 tile.

I don't think they're even stressed, as they're alternating rows of three headlight bricks and a round 1x1 brick, which then get covered by a 1x4 tile.

Good call, Rick. They are not stressed. :thumbup:

Oh, you made this! :classic:

I already saw it in a flickr stream. It looks very great.

Edit: Did you saw a little Jack Sparrow in the POTC display making a sandcastle with a bucket?

Edited by Wout

Hinckley, brilliant job to you and your friend. I liked it so much, I asked to take photos of my Mythbusters Adam and Jamie on it. :-)

aj_castle_1.jpg

aj_castle_2.jpg

aj_castle_3.jpg

Hinckley, brilliant job to you and your friend. I liked it so much, I asked to take photos of my Mythbusters Adam and Jamie on it. :-)

*images snipped*

:laugh:

I love the way you guys did the inside of that curved tower! Sheerly genious!

Very cool. I was admiring this at fbtb, but didn't realize it was made by one of our own. Though, the glory hog in me, has to point out that the roof technique isn't exactly new... :wink:

Steve

Very cool. I was admiring this at fbtb, but didn't realize it was made by one of our own. Though, the glory hog in me, has to point out that the roof technique isn't exactly new... :wink:

Steve

OK, let's put timestamps on all of it. Because Steve doesn't post his stuff online, he's been using this technique for at least three years. His castle, Winter Home of the Happy Sunshine people used it and he only showed that at smaller gatherings and a Renne fest here in Southern Cali... and check out the way he staggers it. :wacko: It's insane.

Although, you know I think you are brilliant as well. :wub: MOC Expert... :grin::thumbup:

OK, let's put timestamps on all of it. Because Steve doesn't post his stuff online, he's been using this technique for at least three years. His castle, Winter Home of the Happy Sunshine people used it and he only showed that at smaller gatherings and a Renne fest here in Southern Cali... and check out the way he staggers it. :wacko: It's insane.

He's probably gotten me beat with three years. I only played with it once, about a year ago. And the staggering really gives it a nice look. Its a pity they don't make tan flags, I bet it would make a super cool thatched roof.

Steve

He's probably gotten me beat with three years. I only played with it once, about a year ago. And the staggering really gives it a nice look. Its a pity they don't make tan flags, I bet it would make a super cool thatched roof.

Steve

They make brown, but it's a Q element. :angry: But the grays and black are readily available. The other basics are too, but the real roof colors are the neutrals... Tan would be so awesome.

This is an absolutely amazing build. Hinck, I'm really impressed by your colour choices. Now with that out of the way, is it possible that we could see more photos of this masterpiece without the glass case obstructing the otherwise amazing view.

The round section is brilliantly done, the whole structure is masive and full of details. Congratulations.

This is an absolutely amazing build. Hinck, I'm really impressed by your colour choices. Now with that out of the way, is it possible that we could see more photos of this masterpiece without the glass case obstructing the otherwise amazing view.

Do you mean in addition to the ones linked to and posted in post #24 of this thread?

Erhm... how exactly did you build that round tower?

I've been messin' with building such towers since forever and this is the best I've seen so far :wub:

Well that is a beautiful creation! I've seen your friend's MOC's before and they just amaze me. One of his other creations looked like it wasn't even lego at first.

The new roof technique is cool, and the stonework is great. Hinck the colour on your castle is nice! :thumbup: ... I have to say I wish I could create those cliffs, they're beautiful! :cry_happy:

Erhm... how exactly did you build that round tower?

I've been messin' with building such towers since forever and this is the best I've seen so far :wub:

It's discussed at length in the topic, KimT. :tongue:

castle_progress_001.jpg

The rockwork below the castle walls is sensational, a really nice technique to give it that weathered look.

Edited by shnake

Love it!

Though I like the interior detailing of your castle Hink, Steve's curved tower has to be my favorite part.

I do like your gate house as well.

I briefly knew Steve when he was in Minnesota. I joined his LUG right before he left for greater things.

That roof technique is Steve's. He's kept it under wraps for a very long time and is finally getting a chance to display it. It is fantastic, isn't it? :wub:

I'd have to see the technique from the reverse side but I have a similar setup using yellow flags I developed a few years back.

I enjoy the setup, especially the creamier portions and the crazy path going down to the sea.