Tygurah

POTC - Black Pearl!

I wish there were some pictures of the stern. I was hoping that a nicely designed stern would win some people over, but the fact that they didn't supply any pictures kind of makes me think they didn't do a good job of it.

As the ship is basically the same as before, so is my opinion. I understand that they made it a lower price point so more people could buy it, I understand that they included the minifigs they did because they needed to have 'conflict' of some sort, I understand that they designed the cabin low so that the silhouette matches that of the original ship. I don't think they did a bad job, I just think they were working within certain limits. Certainly it isn't anywhere as bad as a lot of people say it is.

I'm kind of disappointed by the plain black sails though. I was thinking of buying one and using the sails and hull pieces to make a better ship, but if the sails are going to stay this way, I'll pass.

I think it`s quite good ship. Not spectacular but very solid and of course I`ll buy it.

After Imperial Flagship people have become awfully picky about ships. QAR was great and this is very good.

Try to build better Black Pearl with 800 parts, that can be used as a toy for children :pir_laugh2:

Edited by kris kelvin

Hmmm, I'm impressed how many people seem to have positive opinions of the set after seeing the new pics. I wonder how many people's opinions actually changed, and how many people just didn't share their opinions until the better pics emerged? I'm sure it's a mix of both, since the prelim pics got taken down before everyone could see them, but at the same time didn't show the interior of the cabin (something a lot of people seem to have favorable opinions of).

I agree I'd have liked figs of some other Black Pearl crew members, and it is a real shame we didn't get more in this set. At the same time, I think it has to be remembered that characters like Cotton, Anamaria, etc. are very minor and wouldn't have really been a strong selling point for the set. Since some "bad guys" have to be included anyway, and none of the bad guys previously released had too many scenes aboard the Pearl (besides Barbossa, I guess, but he didn't have any fight scenes aboard the Pearl when he was a "bad guy"), I reckon the design team figured the new minifigure budget for this set would be best spent on some of the Dutchman's crew. I certainly don't mind, and don't feel that it in any way lowers our chances of getting a Flying Dutchman set later on down the line-- if TLG's designers think there's a market for one and think they can manage its intricate design, I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a D2C set.

To be fair, the ship isn't too bad considering the piece limit. Like Kris said, try building a better one with same amount of pieces, not easy. Still, for the same price I have just built a ship and I'm working on instructions so I can build a load of them, which suits me fine as I'd rather spend £80 on one of my own sets then this. But this ship really isn't that bad and the BP is a boring ship anyway.

Whew! LEGO finally make a 2011 set that doesn't make me want to rush out and buy it as soon as possible! :pir_laugh2: I don't know (or care) much about how faithful this is to the BP in the movies, but it just doesn't look like a particularly interesting set. I agree that (what i can see of) the stern looks kinda odd too. I'll be continuing to save up my pennies for the QAR instead.

I think instead of Davy Jones + Fish dude it should of had some skeleton crew from the first movie.

I think instead of Davy Jones + Fish dude it should of had some skeleton crew from the first movie.

I agree on that... Barbosa's crew was more suitable for the Pearl. Now the probability for a nice "Flying Dutchman" became less obvious.

Still I love the black ship and it will fit nicely into my new MOC pirate harbor.

as someone who understands that this is supposed to be more of something for kids to play with and less of an actual accurate model of the ship i like it.

could it be more accurate? sure. could it be bigger? sure. but c'mon people, it's 80 bucks and it's for children. they new so many kids would want it just because it's called the black pearl that they had to make it less expensive so more parents of the little buggers would be willing to buy it. unfortunately for those of us that are used to having these beautiful ships we made ourselves with space for dozens of minifigs that means they had to skimp a bit on size and detail.

the fact is, just like with star wars, castle, and every other theme, no official set will ever come close to what serious adult collectors can design and build themselves because, for the most part, they're all made for children and have to be able to be put together and played with by children.

personally i'll probably buy one and then pick up another one without the figs on ebay and use the extra parts to extend it and add a bit of detail. that'll be plenty good enough for me.

Was there an announcement that the MSRP in the US would be $80? I may have missed it, but I though it was going to be $100.

$100 in America, apparently that is £62 for us in the UK (if it is actually £62 I would be amazed :pir-sceptic: )

:jollyroger:

It reminds me quite a bit of the Skeleton ship from a few years back. I was hoping that the Pearl would be larger, with at least two decks.

On the boxed photo you can see the words "The ship does not float" :pir_laugh2: Did they have that on Brickbeard's Bounty?

I like the set. I'm excited about the figurehead (statue lady). I don't think she has any printing though, unless it's in a dark gray color that I can't make out among the compression artifacts. Have we ever seen that hair piece in black before this set?

The set itself looks pretty good, but should have been much bigger.

But modifications and improvements can always be made, so buying this ship would just be a start for a way bigger project for me.

But the best things about this set would have to be the minifigs.

TLC did a great job on these, they're very well detailed and accurate.

My favorite of the bunch has to be Davy Jones, I like how he looks very similair to the game version.

Too bad this wasn't the case with the ship itself...

Also, something mysterious...

3 weeks ago, I ordered a replacement for a misprinted part I got in a POTC set.

Now, it's been those 3 weeks later, and I suddenly found this in my mailbox, after opening the enveloppe it was in:

(Brown body wasn't included)

5951160581_1ec9ab24a6.jpg

I still don't know how it got here. And yes, that is Maccus's head. I got it instead of the replacement for the misprinted part after a long wait. It's a nice head though, and might be useful for another FDC member.

Good thing the part I needed a replacement for wasn't too badly misprinted.

~ General Magma

@fenrir: thanks for the new pic. It makes the Pearl look so much better.

5951160581_1ec9ab24a6.jpg

...I got it instead of the replacement for the misprinted part after a long wait...Good thing the part I needed a replacement for wasn't too badly misprinted.

^This makes me wonder what your misprinted part was. Do you mind telling us?

Edited by The_Box

@fenrir: thanks for the new pic. It makes the Pearl look so much better.

^This makes me wonder what your misprinted part was. Do you mind telling us?

It was Elizabeth Swann's dress (the skirt piece) from the 'Isla de Muerta' set.

I don't think it had a connection with Maccus's head, though. But then again, I have no clue as for how I got it in place of the skirt piece either.

~ General Magma

I find the Black Pearl design really boring. And what's up with the sails? It supposed to have tattered sails, not shiny new ones! :pir_laugh2:

I do like the Queen Anne though. Lots of interesting details, great colors, nice figs! :thumbup:

I find the Black Pearl design really boring. And what's up with the sails? It supposed to have tattered sails, not shiny new ones! :pir_laugh2:

I do like the Queen Anne though. Lots of interesting details, great colors, nice figs! :thumbup:

It's based of dead mans chest, where the sails weren't tattered, they were patched, but I'd rather have them all black than some cartoony patch print.

It's based of dead mans chest, where the sails weren't tattered, they were patched, but I'd rather have them all black than some cartoony patch print.

People keep thinking that the only Pearl in the movies is from Curse of the Black Pearl. When this set was announced the intial information attached to it was that it would based off of the Balck Pearl from Dead Man's Chest, it would contain around 800 pieces and cost $100 (USD).

I know I am one of the few that like this set right now. Once I slightly mod it (not a revamp, just a few things to make it more recognizable), this will be on display in my house.

I like it. This will be my first pirate ship. No disrespect to fans of the QAR, but I don't like it much. The stern looks awful IMO, the detailing is too cartoony with all those bones, and it's too expensive. The Pearl is affordable, can play "generic pirate ship" much better than the QAR with its classic evil color scheme, and covers all the bases. I would have loved to see the rest of the crew as minifigs, but one can easily make a few generic crewmen by combining yellow pirates, POP, Kingdoms and maybe some Harry Potter figs with other guys from the POTC line.

I also think that if POTC continues, there will definitely be an Ultimate Pearl further down the line. I'm actually taking the fact that we haven't seen most of the Pearl's most popular crew members as a sign that TLG do mean to continue for at least one more wave.