Review: 8096 Emperor Palpatine's Shuttle

54 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Thanks for the review. Very detailed and thorough. I just purchased this set and really enjoyed building it and manipulating it's various parts (playing with it). I agreed with most of your criticisms concerning its color scheme though I thought the technic pieces used for the roof attachment was really cool and original, having, clearly, not built the RAS my self. None the less, good review and sorry for the old post bump but I wanted to comment. Funny, I am reminded of what Anton Ego says in Ratatouille:

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so."

Thanks again.

I mistakenly blew this ship off as yet another Clone Wars ship for the longest time, I have no idea why. It really is an excellent set with some pretty cool minifigures (3 unique ones!), and I'm now convinced at last that I just must have this set before it's gone. It's not the prettiest of birds, but it works ok for what it is supposed to be, I'm just going to make sure I display it on a lower shelf so that I won't see the undercarriage or the back of it, from the side as it is displayed on the box it doesn't look too bad.

Excellent review as well, I love these extremely detailed and well written reviews, they provide plenty of entertainment even though they are of sets I might never be interested in.

Very detailed review, great job. Ive got this set but havent builty it yet but after this review Im temted to get it down and start building. BTW I love your Lambda in the last picture.

Great review, spot on :thumbup: !

I never thought about buying this set. I usually only buy UCS or OT, and I also hesitated because of the visible technical details (mostly at the rear, I really want engines and boosters look great :wink: ), the at-first-look messy color scheme and non-symmetrical centre wing.

But I stumbled across the set at a reasonable price so I picked it up (it IS Star Wars after all :classic: ). And it was a pleasant surprise indeed! I can really recommend this set, but maybe not cause of the usual things like movie-accurate design, exciting parts or great minifigs (although they are great!), and I’ll try to explain this below.

Rufus excellent review pretty much cover everything you need to know about this set, but here are some additional thoughts of mine:

It was a really fun build because it was quite differentiated for such a small set, never boring. And even if I have built a lot of models I found some new things that surprised me. When building I thought; “how will this hold together, it seems wobbly and fragile in places”. The final result is one of the sturdiest sets!

The color scheme and visible technical details would usually bother me a bit, but for some reason they inspired me on this set! The final shuttle is such a fantastic space shuttle and I will really enjoy some MOC-ing on this one! Usually I don’t mess with the official sets, but since this is out of my usual buying line (UCS and OT) I will do it with pleasure. For example, try to fix the technical things on the back, a new interior (there’s plenty of room if you remove the bad working helmet put-on device) and some details with the color scheme. Minor MOC-ing that keep the ship intact and only enhances the overall feeling.

When finished building, my first thought was that LEGO did the absolutely right thing doing a set of this ship even though it’s on screen only 3 seconds or so in Ep III. Just because it’s a fantastic space ship and even if it's not the most movie-accurate set the translation into the LEGO medium is stunning. Star Wars apart, this is great vehicle indeed!

Wow, this thread is still alive!

Thanks for that! :laugh:

Funny, I am reminded of what Anton Ego says in Ratatouille:

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so."

On forums like EB, where the readers can reply, the critic has to be able to justify his comments :wink: Even so, and despite my criticisms of the set, I hope it was apparent that I do actually really like this one :wub:

Wonderful review! :classic:

Anakin and the medic droid are absolutely outstanding! :wub:

Thanks!

I mistakenly blew this ship off as yet another Clone Wars ship for the longest time, I have no idea why. It really is an excellent set with some pretty cool minifigures (3 unique ones!), and I'm now convinced at last that I just must have this set before it's gone. It's not the prettiest of birds, but it works ok for what it is supposed to be, I'm just going to make sure I display it on a lower shelf so that I won't see the undercarriage or the back of it, from the side as it is displayed on the box it doesn't look too bad.

Excellent review as well, I love these extremely detailed and well written reviews, they provide plenty of entertainment even though they are of sets I might never be interested in.

Thanks, fytmedhatt! I still have this set on display, a year after I built it. That's a accolade, of sorts.

Very nice! I love this set, because of the figs and the ship. I first thought the white was a little random, but I heard on thi review that there white stripes, which makes the ship look better.

Awesome review, too.

For some reason, I thought you would disagree with me :grin: Thanks!

Very detailed review, great job. Ive got this set but havent builty it yet but after this review Im temted to get it down and start building. BTW I love your Lambda in the last picture.

Thanks! :blush: My Lambda was one of my first posts here on EB. I keep meaning to update it. See more here.

Great review, spot on :thumbup: !

I never thought about buying this set. I usually only buy UCS or OT, and I also hesitated because of the visible technical details (mostly at the rear, I really want engines and boosters look great :wink: ), the at-first-look messy color scheme and non-symmetrical centre wing.

But I stumbled across the set at a reasonable price so I picked it up (it IS Star Wars after all :classic: ). And it was a pleasant surprise indeed! I can really recommend this set, but maybe not cause of the usual things like movie-accurate design, exciting parts or great minifigs (although they are great!), and I’ll try to explain this below.

Yes, a pleasant surprise it is.

Rufus excellent review pretty much cover everything you need to know about this set, but here are some additional thoughts of mine:

It was a really fun build because it was quite differentiated for such a small set, never boring. And even if I have built a lot of models I found some new things that surprised me. When building I thought; “how will this hold together, it seems wobbly and fragile in places”. The final result is one of the sturdiest sets!

The color scheme and visible technical details would usually bother me a bit, but for some reason they inspired me on this set! The final shuttle is such a fantastic space shuttle and I will really enjoy some MOC-ing on this one! Usually I don’t mess with the official sets, but since this is out of my usual buying line (UCS and OT) I will do it with pleasure. For example, try to fix the technical things on the back, a new interior (there’s plenty of room if you remove the bad working helmet put-on device) and some details with the color scheme. Minor MOC-ing that keep the ship intact and only enhances the overall feeling.

When finished building, my first thought was that LEGO did the absolutely right thing doing a set of this ship even though it’s on screen only 3 seconds or so in Ep III. Just because it’s a fantastic space ship and even if it's not the most movie-accurate set the translation into the LEGO medium is stunning. Star Wars apart, this is great vehicle indeed!

Agreed. :wub:

Excellent review. Love the way you compare the clone pilots with new and existing. It kinda makes me want to get it now. Anyway well done.

Excellent review! I'd like to say it made me buy the set, but that wouldn't be true. What made me buy this set was when it went half price a few months back! :laugh:

I do think though that this is an under appreciated set; mine is still together too.