Sign in to follow this  
Hinckley

MOC: Steampunk Monorail

I made a monorail! :grin: Yay! This is the "fire-dust" hauling monorail from a story I'm writing called "The Book of the Ancients" on my website. We'll see that some time soon, I hope. :blush: This is the first MOC from my recent revamping of the original story. I had a number of settings built and the story was originally supposed to be Castle themed, but since my skill as a builder and writer have improved, I've moved the setting to a Steampunk world. So, without further babbling, here it is:

01.jpg

04.jpg

08.jpg

18.jpg

22.jpg

So, there it is. If you'd like to see more check out the gallery on Flickr.

I would've like to have brought a monorail like this to Brickworld, but I ran out of time and had to bring this one:

5858904697_e3bc0a3056_z.jpg

...which was eventually known as "Hinckley's too big dick that Quarryman broke." Quarryman is always touching other people's toys without asking permission and I find that violating. :hmpf_bad: Anyway, the other MOC I brought, the FABULAND Pig Temple pictured there will also be re-built into a "Book of the Ancients" MOC...soon...ish. :blush:

Reminds me of the small gage trains used in the colonial africa times. Most were open and used to haul materials. I could just see this on a coloney on Mars etc. :laugh:

I think it looks more Futuristic/cyberpunk that steampunk but that's a great moc anyway , and you stole my idea ! ( I don't know how did you do to read my mind but I was planning to build a steampunk monorail! one day or another)

Oh, and the pillars are excellent too!

Edited by Guss

It really looks gorgeous, Hinckley :wub:

I was a bit surprised to learn this Steampunk MOC was built for The Book of the Ancients, but then I read the rest and now I understand your reasons, also considering some other (more or less) recent MOCs of yours.

So we'll be seeing The Book of the Ancients soon(-ish)? Very good news :thumbup:

Train looks awesome :thumbup: , but like others I don't think it's overly "steampunk". Take away the driver and you wouldn't know at all. Maybe to make it more steamy you would need more propellers, gears, or things with steam coming out of them. Rusty looking colours interspersed would add to that too.

That said, it looks really cool regardless, and I like how you've worked in an extra section. I like the pillars too. :thumbup:

PS love the sig, haha :laugh:

Edited by Artanis I

Great monorail build Hinck, and definitely much better than "the your big one that Quarryman broke." :tongue: I really don't mind if it's not too Steampunk-ish because it's cool-looking afterall, I love the overall mechanical design of this one. :thumbup:

AWESOME creation 'Hinckley', I agree with 'Kiel-Da-Man' slightly steam-punkish ! :wink:

But still great monorail.....Brick On ! :grin:

Great MOC, I always wanted the monorail set when I was a little boy. It was like the holy grail of LEGO sets. I really like your version, it has an industrial feel to it, and kind of makes me think of Star Wars. Of course most things do. I'm interested on your story, and will definitely check it out.

Hey, that's nice! I agree not really steampunky (insufficient brown for that :grin: ) but it certainly has a workmanlike appeal, while at the same time using some tasteful greebling - particularly the cheese graters on the sides. :wub:

I also like how you've used those half-cylinders as hoppers - and they even tip! :cry_happy:

Train looks awesome :thumbup: , but like others I don't think it's overly "steampunk". Take away the driver and you wouldn't know at all. Maybe to make it more steamy you would need more propellers, gears, or things with steam coming out of them. Rusty looking colours interspersed would add to that too.

Agreed. it needs some work in my opinion.

Great monorail! Simple looking build with some lovely greebly bits.

When I first saw it (on Flickr) I didn't think of steam punk, but rather something of a futuristic city.

Great build, nevertheless :classic:

A fantastic creation, Hinckley! I like the look of it.

Let's hope "The Book of the Ancients" get finished soon.

Wow! :thumbup: I'm not familiar with whatever-punk nomenclature, but I love the gritty and retro-futuristic feel of this MOC! Well, not gritty like Alopex's New London but like industrial machinery in daily use. I don't know where your Ancients tales will take you, but somewhere down the road I'd love to see the factory this monorail is part of! The rail support pillars are perhaps a preview of nice things to come!

At first glance this looks to be composed of quite a few larger pieces, but on careful closer inspection it's surprising just how many little details there are and those details make this monorail very interesting to me. :thumbup:

The contrast between the grey colour scheme of the monorail and the trans-orange ore in the hoppers is stark, and works really well. I'd love to see this monorail in motion as I think that would enhance the contrast further.

I'm looking forward to the Book of the Ancients, too. :sweet:

Great to see some more of your work Hinckley. Love your FBG creations and I hope to see more of your wok in steam/cyber punk genres too, hell you could give us some space punk to gork at while you're at it.....so there's my wish list for Hinck.default_wubnew.gif

The train is very nice in it's no nonsense, straight to the point, work horse appearance.

Hello!

What really fascinates me here, are the many great grille sections! Grilled tiles, slopes brick, TECHNIC gear and even self-built grille techniques. This gives the monorail a perfect steampunk look! :sweet:

Cheers,

~ Chris

I like the very futuristic look to your Monorail. Looks really good!

It really looks gorgeous, Hinckley :wub:

I was a bit surprised to learn this Steampunk MOC was built for The Book of the Ancients, but then I read the rest and now I understand your reasons, also considering some other (more or less) recent MOCs of yours.

So we'll be seeing The Book of the Ancients soon(-ish)? Very good news :thumbup:

Yes, I've changed the concept. Well, at least the original setting. Characters and locations have been reduced, just so that it has even the slightest chance of ever being published.

That said, it looks really cool regardless, and I like how you've worked in an extra section. I like the pillars too. :thumbup:

PS love the sig, haha :laugh:

Thank you for the advice! I didn't want to put propellors on it. Even though most steampunk creations have them, I associate that more with airships. This just has a steam engine and some pistons. I suppose it may not be steampunk, but whatever it is that's what Book of the Ancients is. I'm happier with this MOC than I have been with a MOC for quite some time. It's exactly what's in my head for the story, so no changes. :tongue:

Great monorail build Hinck, and definitely much better than "the your big one that Quarryman broke." :tongue: I really don't mind if it's not too Steampunk-ish because it's cool-looking afterall, I love the overall mechanical design of this one. :thumbup:

Thanks! Yes, I agree that it's loads better my dick. I threw my dick together super fast because I had run out of time and needed to pack for Brickworld.

Hey, that's nice! I agree not really steampunky (insufficient brown for that :grin: ) but it certainly has a workmanlike appeal, while at the same time using some tasteful greebling - particularly the cheese graters on the sides. :wub:

I also like how you've used those half-cylinders as hoppers - and they even tip! :cry_happy:

Thanks Rufus! :blush: I did originally want to throw some brown in. Actually I have plenty of the dark brown ones from the Toy Story set. However, I liked the newer metal look. I didn't want this one to look rusted or bronze. Perhaps with time, through the story, I can replace some of those parts with brown. :thumbup: That's a cool idea.

A fantastic creation, Hinckley! I like the look of it.

Let's hope "The Book of the Ancients" get finished soon.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, soon. :rofl: Ah... :cry_happy: You're hilarious. Thanks for the compliment, too. :wub:

Wow! :thumbup: I'm not familiar with whatever-punk nomenclature, but I love the gritty and retro-futuristic feel of this MOC! Well, not gritty like Alopex's New London but like industrial machinery in daily use. I don't know where your Ancients tales will take you, but somewhere down the road I'd love to see the factory this monorail is part of! The rail support pillars are perhaps a preview of nice things to come!

Fooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooog!!!!

At first glance this looks to be composed of quite a few larger pieces, but on careful closer inspection it's surprising just how many little details there are and those details make this monorail very interesting to me. :thumbup:

The contrast between the grey colour scheme of the monorail and the trans-orange ore in the hoppers is stark, and works really well. I'd love to see this monorail in motion as I think that would enhance the contrast further.

I'm looking forward to the Book of the Ancients, too. :sweet:

:blush: Yay! Thanks for the nice compliments. I wish I could've added this to the EB display. I would create a video of it running but I still can't find my monorail cable. :blush:

Great to see some more of your work Hinckley. Love your FBG creations and I hope to see more of your wok in steam/cyber punk genres too, hell you could give us some space punk to gork at while you're at it.....so there's my wish list for Hinck.default_wubnew.gif

The train is very nice in it's no nonsense, straight to the point, work horse appearance.

* creates TazManiac want list *

* begins working on it *

Very cool Hinck. If I could add anything, it would probably be a bit of color. I feel like Steam-punk looks too clean with almost all light gray with dark gray high-lights. Maybe some rust in a reddish brown? I dunno. Some of steam-punks charm, for me, is that it does have rust and extra gadgets on it, like not everything about the science of how things work has been figured out. This looks too streamlined. Besides, if it's called the Book of Ancients, perhaps it should invoke of feel of... ancientness. I really dig the magma(?) holders, even though they're fairly simple. The round with the cheese slopes beneath work for me. Also the thin rail is nice. Overall solid build Hinck, I really love it, but it would be silly not to give a few suggestions!

This is a really great Monorail. :cry_happy:

I don't think you need to change anything. :thumbup: