Sign in to follow this  
-R8-

MOC: Papa Smurf

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

My latest creation: Papa Smurf!

5894287606_d6ee58f3b0_z.jpg

The leader of the Smurf village, happily presiding over his little Smurfs.

5894287552_a63c54b6d3_m.jpg5893720999_597bfa9dd8_m.jpg5893721057_9d19df06b0_m.jpg5894287788_44a548b781_m.jpg

5893720821_449544d8d0_z.jpg

The feet are able to move, since they were attached to the legs with a turntable element.

5893720905_230473c13e_z.jpg

The eyes were offset by half a stud in order to bring them closer, without them actually being stuck to each other.

After working with simpler geometries in my earlier sculptures (which you can see in my profile), I thought it was time to work on something a bit more complex. A tip with being able to sculpt with rectangular bricks is to divide the subject up into much more simpler shapes, such as spheres or cylinders. From there, you can alter these basic shapes so that they conform with whatever you're trying to build.

I hope to display this at Brickfair this upcoming August. :classic: Any questions or comments are welcome!

flickr

MOCPages

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Wow, it's amazing what you can do with mostly basic bricks. You've managed to give him a really realistic expression (he looks kinda impatient, which I guess is totally in character for Papa Smurf :grin:)

:wub:

Wow, he looks great. I agree, it is amazing how basic bricks can come together for such a perfect looking papa smurf.

Wow, talk about dejavu, I have the distinct feeling I've seen this somewhere before. Well, no matter, this is truly awesome, I've always wanted to do something like this, perhaps Fred Flintstone. You never seize to amaze me my old friend. Another feather in your cap. Tell me, did you share the apple here as well?

Hello!

Amazing how you shaped out this sculpture with basic bricks. :classic:

Considering the fact that most smurfs are similiar to ech other except for their unique faces, it would be great to see more of their family. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

A very cute creation and impressively-done too using only basic bricks. The design is simply spot-on and the finished product is a great LEGO version of Papa Smurf. Excellent work! :thumbup:

Thank you everyone for the kind words! Really appreciate it :thumbup:

Wow, it's amazing what you can do with mostly basic bricks. You've managed to give him a really realistic expression (he looks kinda impatient, which I guess is totally in character for Papa Smurf :grin:)

I will admit that I have never seen the Smurfs, animation nor comics. :cry_sad: Something I'll definitely need to get around to. I used some reference photos while making this, but from the handful of photos that I saw I can definitely tell he's just that kind of guy. :laugh:

Wow, he looks great. I agree, it is amazing how basic bricks can come together for such a perfect looking papa smurf.

Indeed. Although I don't restrict myself to it, my primary genre to MOC in is sculpting, and I use mostly basic bricks because I continue to be amazed at what a pile of rectangular elements can come together as!

Wow, talk about dejavu, I have the distinct feeling I've seen this somewhere before. Well, no matter, this is truly awesome, I've always wanted to do something like this, perhaps Fred Flintstone. You never seize to amaze me my old friend. Another feather in your cap. Tell me, did you share the apple here as well?

Yes, all of my other creations have been shared here too. You can view them all in my profile. :classic:

Hello!

Amazing how you shaped out this sculpture with basic bricks. :classic:

Considering the fact that most smurfs are similiar to ech other except for their unique faces, it would be great to see more of their family. :classic:

Certainly would be - I'd even like to try using different shades of blue like medium blue.

Well isn't this Smurfy ! :grin:

Excellent work '-R8-' and keep on Smurfing ! :excited:

:grin:

Good smurfy work. How many bricks did it take?

Judging by the weight of it, I would guess several hundred bricks, most likely close to a thousand.

A very cute creation and impressively-done too using only basic bricks. The design is simply spot-on and the finished product is a great LEGO version of Papa Smurf. Excellent work! :thumbup:

Danke, Kiel!