Tygurah

POTC - Black Pearl!

I'm actually quite impressed. Much more impressive than the QAR-- its beauty is understated and more classic. Last sail looks a bit weak, IMO, but otherwise I'm impressed. I'd actually consider it...

I'm actually quite impressed. Much more impressive than the QAR-- its beauty is understated and more classic. Last sail looks a bit weak, IMO, but otherwise I'm impressed. I'd actually consider it...

What picture were you looking at??? Lol, I suppose it's not that bad.

i actually like it. it's not as good as the QAR but it looks like a fairly accurate reproduction.

Love the new minifigs. Too bad that Pintel & Ragetti aren't in the set. Let's just hope we will see them in the new ones. BTW, Is the Black Pearl released worldwide in November or is this just a USA-date?

This is up for preorder in the UK for £75 with free shipping..... seems a good price, what do you reckon?

Where? S@H? Amazon?

Where? S@H? Amazon?

for £75 I'm certainly buying

Bart

i actually like it. it's not as good as the QAR but it looks like a fairly accurate reproduction.

Actually its not even close, it disappoints me that they didn't make the most memorable thing in the series a collectors edition or at least 1500 pieces :( It should have three slanted windows on the aft and I'm not getting started on the bow... the only thing I like is the sails.

Edited by On Stranger Tides

The image I've seen is just preliminary, so things can change, but the ship doesn't look as bad as some people complain. It is built in similar scale as other LEGO ships so no complaint there. Wide black hull is a great thing for MOCing. Design-wise it's obviously no 6285 BSB, or 10210 IF, but I've seen worse sets than that :pir-classic:

I think the main problem is that - based alone on the fact that the ship is quite important in the movies - people were expecting some extraordinary collector-edition masterpiece, and what we got is just a set. Not great, but not that bad either.

The image I've seen is just preliminary, so things can change, but the ship doesn't look as bad as some people complain. It is built in similar scale as other LEGO ships so no complaint there. Wide black hull is a great thing for MOCing. Design-wise it's obviously no 6285 BSB, or 10210 IF, but I've seen worse sets than that :pir-classic:

I think the main problem is that - based alone on the fact that the ship is quite important in the movies - people were expecting some extraordinary collector-edition masterpiece, and what we got is just a set. Not great, but not that bad either.

Well I don't think the Black Pearl is even good as a set. I mean, even I could think of ways to do the main window gallery that would be more detailed, realistic, and accurate to the film while using the same amount of pieces. It looks to me that at some point Lego just decided to move on from the POTC theme and not do any more POTC sets so, they release the Black Pearl with some Davy Jones figures so that you could MOC a Flying Dutchman.

I know that none of the above is concrete but, to me it seems the most likely scenario. I mean, the design even for a Lego ship is just a little too bland. It's almost like Lego wasn't even wanting to try on this ship. :pir-sceptic:

Well I don't think the Black Pearl is even good as a set. I mean, even I could think of ways to do the main window gallery that would be more detailed, realistic, and accurate to the film while using the same amount of pieces. It looks to me that at some point Lego just decided to move on from the POTC theme and not do any more POTC sets so, they release the Black Pearl with some Davy Jones figures so that you could MOC a Flying Dutchman.

I know that none of the above is concrete but, to me it seems the most likely scenario. I mean, the design even for a Lego ship is just a little too bland. It's almost like Lego wasn't even wanting to try on this ship. :pir-sceptic:

I AGREE brotha! The Lego POTC game has a fairly decent ship in it... In January Birmingham, Alabama, where I'm from is having a Brick Con and I am doing a huge POTC display and I wanted to MOC TBP, but I'm not seeing enough to work with. So, I think I'm building a minifig scale version of the mill on isla cruces...

Edited by On Stranger Tides

The problem with this theory is that 1) the Black Pearl's price, piece count, set number, and name have been known since February-- long before any of the other PotC sets were available. None of these things even could have been influenced significantly by the sales for the theme. The minifigures might have changed since then, since we hadn't seen any pictures, but it seems unlikely since including important enemy characters like Davy Jones would have been a strategic decision from the get-go.

Including minifigures like Pintel and Ragetti would have required removing other Black Pearl crew members, not Flying Dutchman crew members, since there have to be at least two factions on board for role-play purposes, and making them fairly equal is ideal. The idea that the Flying Dutchman crew members were thrown in because there won't be a Flying Dutchman or any other future sets is just jumping to conclusions-- while these minifigures would have made the most sense on such a set, that doesn't mean that they have to be exclusive to it, any more than Blackbeard was exclusive to the QAR.

If anything, I think the fact that the Black Pearl is an average-sized set actually increases the likelihood of of a Flying Dutchman set later on down the line. Let's face the facts-- out of the important ships in PotC, the Black Pearl is possibly the least impressive in appearance. This is probably in part because it debuted in the first movie, and thus had no big reputation to live up to, and in later films it was a ship for the good guys-- the bad guys had to have larger and more intimidating vessels.

Since the Black Pearl is an average-sized LEGO pirate ship, that leaves room for a bigger and more impressive Flying Dutchman-- possibly a D2C set in January, much like this year's Diagon Alley for the Harry Potter theme. And now, some of the most important minifigures for such a set have already been produced, making it a less costly venture.

And finally, there is no reason for LEGO to "not try" on a set they're actually trying to sell. Even a last-ditch effort will generally have the same design effort put into it, if not the same design budget. There's no reason TLG would knowingly put a large, undesirable set on store shelves, especially if the theme were unpopular. Cutler Beckett would readily acknowledge that using sloppy designs when sales on good designs are suffering is not good business. Even perceived "low points" in LEGO set design had a lot of effort put into their designs-- the only difference is that the effort was going towards things other than complexity, aesthetics, or whatever else AFOLs considered deficient in those sets.

If TLG had evidence that intricate, advanced pirate ship designs didn't sell, then perhaps they'd make a simpler, less accurate design for the Black Pearl. But that's not giving up, that's just redirecting your effort towards a different purpose. And returning to my first point, I don't think that to be a likely scenario anyway considering how much we knew about the Black Pearl at the New York ToyFair, before any of the sets had hit store shelves.

I like it. Sure it could be more detailed but for the size and price point I'm not expecting another Imperial Flagship. My only real disapointment is no pirate version of Elizabeth Swann, but getting an awesome looking Davey Jones minifigure more than makes up for it.

I think this set is rather wonderful. I have to agree with Dreamweb, when we first heard of the Black Pearl, everyone was expecting a set on the scale of the giant Death Star, but it's just a regular set. I definitely think that a larger Flying Dutchman set is further down the line. I'm also hoping for a Port Royal and a Tortuga or Singapore set.

It's just good business.

The famous last words of a British lord who ruled over the EITC and was a madman obsessed with power :pir_laugh2: .

i agree with the idea that expectations were too high. the black pearl in the movies is actually rather unimpressive looking compared to some of the other main ships. a ucs flying dutchman makes more sense because there's a lot more detail that can be put into it, like the rotating guns on the front and the fact that it has more texture and color to it than the pearl.

if you didn't expect this thing to rival the ifs then you aren't disappointed. if you did, you are. i think it's that simple.

if lego makes a ucs flying dutchman everyone will forgive them. especially seeing as this set apparently should give us some helpful pieces for making a more detailed moc of the pearl along with some great figs.

if lego makes a ucs flying dutchman everyone will forgive them
UCS sets are restricted to Star Wars. I think what you mean is a theme-breakingly good kind of set, like an Imperial Flagship (10210) with green hulls, green sails and lots of seaweed.

Personally, I don't want such a set to be made because if signifies the end of the POTC line. A Flying Dutchman set would be like the 10210 IFS or the Medieval Market Village - a big set that dwarfs every other ship. I don't want the POTC line to end, all those detailed minifigures, awesome-looking sails, ridiculously large sterncastles......

In my opinion, the Back Pearl is a special case. Lego has never made two large ships (i.e. >$99 pricetag) in one year. Since the QAR has already been made, I feel that we shouldn't expect too high of the set. The TLG has to make it either larger or smaller than the QAR. Because of the QAR's link with the new movie and its more dynamic appearence, the TLG made her slightly bigger than the BP. For members who want to save up for other sets, the BP would be the perfect choice. You can buy an Isla de Muerta with the $19 you save from buying the BP rather than the QAR.

What the Pearl truly is , is freedom
Freedom of choice for buyers! :pir-grin:

UCS sets are restricted to Star Wars. I think what you mean is a theme-breakingly good kind of set, like an Imperial Flagship (10210) with green hulls, green sails and lots of seaweed.

That's actually not entirely true - UCS is almost always Star Wars related but generally not restricted to it, as you can see here - The Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman would certainly make excellent UCS sets and I would get happily poor buying one of those. :pir-cry_happy:

That's actually not entirely true - UCS is almost always Star Wars related but generally not restricted to it, as you can see here - The Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman would certainly make excellent UCS sets and I would get happily poor buying one of those. :pir-cry_happy:

What he means is that the term UCS only applies to Star Wars, it would never apply to a pirate ship. You could say a large, detailed version of the Dutchman- but UCS isn't quite the term for it. There is an 'Ultimate collectors Series" for star wars, but not for pirates. :wink:

As far as the Black Pearl goes, it stinks. Good thing it's just prelims. :pir-sad2: I would actually expect this to be released before November, due to past lego trends.

A good point about prelims, remember the Battank prelim? And do not forget Jabba's sail barge prelim image had Cloud City Boba and two other figs :pir-grin:

I really hope they do some improvements and also consider adding in the kraken.

What he means is that the term UCS only applies to Star Wars, it would never apply to a pirate ship. You could say a large, detailed version of the Dutchman- but UCS isn't quite the term for it. There is an 'Ultimate collectors Series" for star wars, but not for pirates. :wink:

As far as the Black Pearl goes, it stinks. Good thing it's just prelims. :pir-sad2: I would actually expect this to be released before November, due to past lego trends.

do we really have to be that specific? :pir_laugh2:

i still think it's better than most say it is.

everyone was expecting a set on the scale of the giant Death Star

To be honest no one was expecting a set that big, this set only has 800 pieces,

we expected something better then what we have seen. The BSB had around the same number of pieces and remains one of the best official TLC ships ever made. They could have made the Black Pearl look a little more like the BSB, or in fact have the same quality.

The joy of seeing the new Kombi van and winter post office is sunk by this.....

4184.jpg

The other two actually highlight 'AU', but not the Black Pearl :pir_bawling: - EU, well we know where that is and so to NA. :pirate_sad2:

It then appears that us Aussie's wanting the Black Pearl will have to buy overseas or hope and pray for someone like Myers begging Lego to sell it.

I also hope I'm wrong. :pirate_sad2:

The joy of seeing the new Kombi van and winter post office is sunk by this.....

snip pic

The other two actually highlight 'AU', but not the Black Pearl :pir_bawling: - EU, well we know where that is and so to NA. :pirate_sad2:

It then appears that us Aussie's wanting the Black Pearl will have to buy overseas or hope and pray for someone like Myers begging Lego to sell it.

I also hope I'm wrong. :pirate_sad2:

I think you're getting worried a bit prematurely there, LT. By your reasoning, the Captain's cabin wasn't available in Aus if you interpret the picture the same way, and we both know that was everywhere. I am confident (without any proof) that the Black Pearl will make it to general retail in Aus.

Edit: I just found out that these pics came from the Collectors guide book that is to be released soon, and the different regions indicating availablity (as in if it was ever available, not like a retailer catalogue about being able to be ordered by them) are clearly wrong for the captain's cabin so quite possibly wrong as well for the Black Pearl, so I don't think it's time to start worrying yet that it won't show up in Australia.

Edited by hewman

According to the pictures they haven't worked out the piece count yet. Hopefully that means that they might add a few extra parts to the bow of the ship. The figurehead looks like she's in mid air.. and where are her wings? The Black Pearl bow sticks out further than this and it has more curves leading down to the figurehead.

At least we are getting a few interesting looking characters Davy Jones and Maccus. Hope they give Maccus his sword fish weapon. The rest of the Pearl crew is pretty generic looking, Cotton, Marty, Ragetti and Pintel we can always build them using parts we already have.

Can we have a Jack the monkey painted with a skeleton pattern??

According to the pictures they haven't worked out the piece count yet.

We do actually, it's around 800 pieces for $100 USD :pir-classic: