Aleksei Stetskii

MOC: Y-Wing Snowspeeder Prototype

gallery_101_23_281.gif

S N O W S P E E D E R (Original Y-Wing Prototype)

5882998283_1bf4f1f134.jpg

Y-Wing Snowspeeder 2/12, on Flickr

5883385608_502353724b.jpg

Y-Wing Snowspeeder 6/12, on Flickr

One of the earliest snowspeeder designs for the Battle of Hoth was perhaps the original “ugly.” Joe Johnston’s early sketches of the snowspeeder reveal it to have been based on the cockpit pod of a one-person Koensayr Manufacturing BTL-A4 Y-Wing Starfighter. Johnston repositioned the craft’s armament along the outer edge of the pod (presumably laser cannons) and added air intakes on the upper rear contour of the body on either side of the cockpit. He also removed the ion cannon turret, leaving only its circular mounting. Published sketches contract one-another on the craft’s rear section—this MOC follows the sketch detailing a small array of heat dispersion fins and idiosyncratically angled thrusters.

Why this ad hoc “ugly”—based on a design familiar to audiences from the Battle of Yavin—was abandoned in favor of a new craft based on a modified version of the Incom T-47 Airspeeder is not entirely clear. Ultimately, introduction of the eye-catching T-47 endowed the rebel garrison with an iconic atmospheric speeder and set up some of the drama of the battle; it also had the effect of making the garrison look less provisional and its airfleet less jury-rigged than if it were merely attempting to make due with refitted starfighters.

See Joe Johnston and Nilo Rodis-Jamero, The Empire Strikes Back Sketchbook (New York: Ballantine, 1980), 15-17.

Flickr set link: http://www.flickr.co...57626948742999/

Wow, what an excellent brickbuilt rendition of this snowspeeder prototype - simply effective use of the curved slopes for a sleek and smooth finish and the baby-blue-trims-on-white color scheme really give it a 'icy cool'-look perfect for Hoth. Brilliant job Aleksei! :thumbup:

Great work with this MOC. It's perfect it a simple, minimalist sort of way reminiscent of the source material. :thumbup:

Great work with this MOC. It's perfect it a simple, minimalist sort of way reminiscent of the source material. :thumbup:

I have the book that has all of the original starships and vehicle sketches and you've done a wonderful job recreating this snowspeeder! Great job!

Very accurate brick build from the sketch. One of the best I've seen I think. You've captured the shape perfectly. The T-47 is my all time favourite Star Wars craft, but I have to say I really like this. Some simple techniques married with some not so simple. Really like the cockpit too. Job well done. :thumbup:

Love it. Will probably steal your idea with the rear vents for a Terran Viking I have planned.

Very nice Aleksei Stetskii, very similar to the source material, and an interesting technique with the vents at the back :thumbup:. The only suggestion I would make is using a atual snow speeder style cockpit al-la Brickdoctor shown here as, though the stock cockpit does look OK here a MOCed one would look better.

Edited by Mr Man

Hello!

A great presentation of this design skecth made in bricks! It's really accurate. :sweet:

The only suggestion I would make is using a atual snow speeder style cockpit al-la Brickdoctor shown here as, though the stock cockpit does look OK here a MOCed one would look better.

I disagree. The cockpit works perfectly here in my opinion. As you can clearly see in the design concept, this prototype snowspeeder has a wedge shaped cockpit, unlike the later snowspeeder which has more a sloped cockpit screen. Thus the wedge-shaped cockpit screen is a great piece for these angles.

All the best,

~ Christopher

The only suggestion I would make is using a atual snow speeder style cockpit al-la Brickdoctor shown here as, though the stock cockpit does look OK here a MOCed one would look better.

I disagree as well. The stock canopy that TLG molded resembles that of the Y-wing, they just decided to inaccurately reuse it for the X-wing and T-47. Since this model is supposed to have the Y-wing's cockpit, the stock piece is far more accurate than any of the brick-built canopies that have been built for T-47s.

I do think it looks good on the snowspeeder, however I think a brick built one would look better.

I do think it looks good on the snowspeeder, however I think a brick built one would look better.

But not the ones made for T-47s. And based on past experience I'm 99% sure that to brick-build an opening canopy that's transparent and with angles resembling those of the prefab element would require transparent slopes or wedge plates in angles that TLG doesn't make them in.

I really like this. Ralph Mcquarrie made some rad concept art for the OT.

Will you be doing more prototype mocs?

Edited by simonjedi

AWESOME 'Aleksei Stetskii', just AWESOME and I like this as much as the normal speeder. :wink:

Though I noticed no insulators between the heatsink fins like on the speeders we are use to. :wink:

Great designing and may the Eurobrick be with you 'Aleksei Stetskii' ! :grin:

I don't think I've seen an MOC based on concept art before - good idea. This looks really good and is also very nicely presented. :thumbup:

A great rendition of some amazing concept art! There exists a very nice balance of smooth and studded surfaces, and the use of very cool white and bley colors is yet another plus! The build is fairly simple yet captures the look of the craft well. Very nice job. :thumbup: As far as constructive criticism, I feel that the rear area of this MOC, while already well done, could be further improved if you were to use angled plates to continue the tapering toward the laser cannons (something akin, perhaps, to this). Furthermore, you may want to consider using this piece to round out the guns a bit. :classic:

I disagree as well. The stock canopy that TLG molded resembles that of the Y-wing, they just decided to inaccurately reuse it for the X-wing and T-47. Since this model is supposed to have the Y-wing's cockpit, the stock piece is far more accurate than any of the brick-built canopies that have been built for T-47s.

I have always wondered whether this piece would work as well - in my opinion it would capture the curvature of the cockpit better than the stock canopy, which is admittedly rather boxy.

Oh, and if, Aleksei Stetskii, you are planning on making more concept art MOCs, might I suggest this or this? The pictures here would help you with the former, and the latter is basically an Eagle Transporter (pictures here). Good luck!

I have always wondered whether this piece would work as well - in my opinion it would capture the curvature of the cockpit better than the stock canopy, which is admittedly rather boxy.

That would be too curved, I think. And you'd either have studs exposed on top or a tile that was higher up and out of place.

Though if you took two of the halved versions of that brick and SNOT them... there's an idea. :look:

Might I suggest this The pictures here would help you with the former.

Wow I like the concept X-wing :thumbup:. It looks better than the final design, it's round and smooth, they should add this to CW series 4 as an intermediate step between the ARC fighter and the Headhunter.

Wow I like the concept X-wing :thumbup:. It looks better than the final design, it's round and smooth, they should add this to CW series 4 as an intermediate step between the ARC fighter and the Headhunter.

Um, but this is clearly a design that would come just before the T-65, and the Z-95 precedes the ARC-170. If it was added, it would have to be a Dark Times fighter, ideally a prototype never mass produced so it would fit better into the T-65's backstory.