Sign in to follow this  
CrazyPirate

Classic Pirates Or POTC?

223 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of LEGO pirates do you prefer?

• Classic Pirates
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • I like them both together, flesh with yellow doesn't bother me.

I love classic pirates but POTC has so many new and unique pieces I had to vote for it. Now hopefully when POTC goes away classic pirates will come back with lots of the pieces that POTC has now.

I prefer the 2009 pirate line to POTC.

The colours on the POTC sets are so dull!

The classic pirates had so much character and vibrancy.

I voted PotC. The minifigs are so awesome. I can't stand looking at my yellow pirate horde after getting all these fleshies. The colors you get for peices is way more realistic than classic pirates. All the new stuff in the PotC sets makes the old pirates look very dated.

This is interesting, I prefer the exact opposite... POTC seems too detailed to me, I like the generic and simplified look of classic pirates. I like the colours of tan and white and red and brown of the 2009 range to the grey and black of POTC. As I mentioned on the first page, I like that you can mix and match the classic pirates to make new pirates, whereas Jack Sparrow's hair, face, torso and legs will never belong to anyone but Jack Sparrow.

I like the fact that my Brickbeard's Bounty is crewed by 12 distinctive pirates, whereas the Black Pearl is crewed by Jack Sparrow, Joshamee Gibbs and Will Turner. How do you make up the rest of the crew, with fleshies? I don't know.

Classic Pirates FTW :jollyroger::thumbup:

Thanks for all the votes so far :thumbup:

I voted for both. I don't like the fleshies much and unfortunately many torso's contain the flesh colour too so mixing is quite hard.

But, the PotC contains so many great new parts and detailed torso's which I doubt we would have gotten in a new Classic-Pirates line.

So concluded, I think I like Classic-Pirates more, but the PotC-line was a very useful theme in between which I wouldn't have wanted to miss.

While I do not have anything against the Peach nor the Disney Films, I just have some strong and fond memories for my classic sets. Thus I would have to vote with Classic. Now having said that, I am also an idea thief at heart. I love any and all new Lego ideas and sets. Thus I will buy and support the PotC line. :pir_laugh2:

The Classic Pirates have a place in my heart forever

POTC have some great stuff but can't compare.

I too prefer my yellow hoard to the new fleshies, though the zombie pirates look good in both :pir-classic:

Classic Pirates.

Reasons:

there are much more sets.

the only complete POTC set is Queen Anne's revenge...while Classic Pirates has much more complete sets like Imperial trading post or SES

Barbossa's minifig is much different than original Barbossa.

Classic!

But do we not mis the 2009-2010 serie? (not classic in my eyes)

André

I don't know about other people, but I think of 'classic' as anything before POTC. I don't think the question is deliberately leaving out the 2009-2010 range.

At first glance I said of course classic!

But then when I really think about it, it's actually fairly close in my mind.

I agree with what someone said on the first page its, like comparing Apples and pears, one is way too detailed, one is very simple. One is flesh, one is yellow. One licensed one not. Pirates have been around for something like 5 waves, PotC only have 1, so its hard to compare that.

Still I have to go with the classics though, the PotC sets really don't have any appeal except the QAR and London Escape for the red coats. Its hard to buy them for the pirates because they are TOO detailed and don't mix well with classics. But I feel that when they continue PotC with more sets with possibly red coats/blue coats, possible Interceptor, even more regular pirates (not all main character figs) then PotC will probably be better.

Until then, I say classic.

Classic. POTC has cool set designs and nice new parts, but... FLESHIES! :pir-sick: And classic pirates has a lot of great sets, like the Imperial Flagship (Both of them) and the older ships, and the various fortresses are much cooler than the Whitecap Bay of POTC.

The classic will always be the classic. Not only were some of those early sets simply great (and still are), but they also remind a lot of AFOLS of their childhood days. :pir-classic: So it's set value + nostalgic value we're talking about here. PotC sets are OK to me. Close, but no cigar.

PotC for me. The sets and minifigs are very well-designed. Especially compared to the 2009 CP sets. I took one look at them and :pir-sick: . They're awful (except for the IFS, which is awe-inspiring).

I like classic more.

But one theme they really need is star wars pirates :pir_yoda: (I just said that so I could put in the yoda :pir-laugh:

I voted for Classic Pirates, I just built my first (and probably last if they don't make any new ones) POTC set yesterday and it did have nice new parts and figs the colors were all bland for my taste. Compared to Mill Village Raid which had an excellent pallet of nogut, dark tank and brown, and classic Pirates like the new IFS which has wonderful colors. They just aren't as visually appealing. I also wish TLG could have stuck with yellow figs forever. It is like with trains when they went with PF and away from 9v they are backwards compatible but I want all my LEGO to be compatible 100% of the time. The peach or flesh color look ok when they are together but doesn't look right IMO when with my yellow pirates. A shame.

:shark:

Hi everyone

Well guys, I don't want to be rude, but I think that the POTC sets are not really good, and I can't understand how in the world can someone consider that theme very interesting, if that person knows something about Classic Pirates.

I thank God the winner option are Classic Pirates, but nearly 50% people voted for the other options. Can't believe it.

The reasons why POTC are far worse than Classic are evident looking at the sets, if we consider the number of minifigs, pieces contained, variety of sets, etc. Ok, there are some new minifigs, some new pieces, etc. Nothing really important.

However, that's not the main reason I think POTC doesn't rocks at all. The main reason is that these theme is absolutely unplayable, because is unstructured. Let's check it out... what we got? A bunch of sets, representing some scenes from the four movies, most of the sets have nothing to do with the others, etc. There are no complete factions, only three or four british soldiers, three or four indians, etc. No bases, no armies, etc.

What makes a theme playable? A logical structure: Different factions, with their own "armies", ships and bases. Like Classic Pirates have. You know other examples: Castle, Star Wars, etc.

POTC are a bunch of isolated sets, "look-at-me-but-don't-play-with-me", with a lack of possibilities to create new adventures (except making the movie scenes).

Excuse my ortography, english is not my native language.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by Captain Fortune

POTC. I used to fantasize about getting Classic Pirates sets, anything from the BSB to the ITP. I even found and bought a #6236 King Kahuka for 10 bucks at my old locally owned LEGO store in 2005. Despite having lost it, it was a neat set. Still, I'd take Cannibal Escape over it any day - why? Because I can access newer, sealed sets to accompany it for a decent price, and because I find them more detailed - plus I was in the crowd that grew up with the POTC movies.

However, I'd also like to say that any pirate fan is a good pirate fan, no matter the medium. :pir-sweet:

It's classic pirates for me and it always will be. I tried other themes and although I like them and sometimes I try to MOC something I always end up regretting that I used those bricks up for something that could have been a classic pirates MOC. It's something about the indefinite possibilities of this theme that makes it so attractive for me. Redcoats, Bluecoats, good pirates, bad pirates, ships vs. hideouts... It will take years before I can even think of seriously covering another section of LEGO. And PoTC is just another little part of the classic pirates cake for me.

Its not really a fair question as classic pirates as a theme was in existence for several years whilst POTC has only seen one batch of sets. That being set its classic pirates all the way for me! There were so many great sets, not just the ships such as BSB and SES but also Eldorado fortress and Imperial Trading Post. Many of the smaller sets such as Broadsides brig, Saber Island and the Imperial Outpost are also classics. Then the 2009 relaunch gave us the wonderful Imperial Flagship.

POTC hasn't really had the opportunity to make that sort of impression and although both the QAR and Black Pearl were good ships, they arguably didn't live up to the standards set by previous pirate ships. Whitecap Bay was a good set but London Escape and the Mill both felt lacking whilst the smaller sets were really all about the mini-figs. I think the theme had a lot of potential for future sets (not least a Dutchman and HMS Providence) so its unfortunate that Lego seem to have brought it to an end.

I have to say that I am really torn with this one. I don't like both types of minifigs together but, I really like both of them. The POTC minifigs are great just because I really like POTC but, I will always have a special place for classic pirates in my heart. :pir-classic:

I like them both for different reasons, classic pirates for the great play-able sets and POTC for the nice details (buckets, windows, compass, globe,...)

Together they make the ultimate pirate mocs, too bad minifigures don't combine well :pir-sceptic:

I like them both for different reasons, classic pirates for the great play-able sets and POTC for the nice details (buckets, windows, compass, globe,...)

Together they make the ultimate pirate mocs, too bad minifigures don't combine well :pir-sceptic:

I'm with you on this one. I love all the minifigures, but I hate how they don't mix well. Still, both themes have good qualities and as Pirate fans we've gotten a lot of new pieces from them. I don't think we ever would've gotten those new bottle pieces if it weren't for PoTC.

I also have to add that what I love most about being a builder is that sometimes I CAN combine both these themes into a lovely creation. With all the variety, it is possible. Imagination allows it. :jollyroger:

I voted for both. :pir-blush: It really isn't fair to compare one wave against about twenty years, and I genuinely love both PotC and LEGO PotC; QAR is one of the most mind-bendingly glorious sets in my collection, and I'm fine with fleshies in licensed sets. Even my family, which usually chuckles about my obsession, thought it was extremely nice. :pir-sweet: People always complain there weren't enough soldiers; at least they had printed hats and two new torsos. (including royal version of Barbossa)

Classic Pirates is king! There is nothing that compares to the feuds between Captain Redbeard and Governor Broadside. Not to mention that the classic pirate hulls are easier to build with, and the jolly old crews always are smiling. :pirate_sad2:

I meant smiling! :pir-classic:

That's better.