Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

I'm not certain about Tim Burton, don't get me wrong I love the man to death and his macabre cinematic style is brilliant.

However despite POTC being right down Burton's alley, he has an uncanny knack for caricature, so the characters are more or less exaggerated to obscene and eccentric standards, that would make a serious and successful pirates franchise perhaps not the best it could be.

I may be wrong about this, and Burton could bring some interesting angles to another stand-alone POTC film, but if we do want POTC to continue in further instalments I'd recommend Verbinski or someone else familiar with POTC.

I'm of two minds on this.

Actually I'd love it if Tim Burton made a POTC film! The franchise needs a new look and feel to stay fresh, plus Burton knows Depp inside out, and being a 'Burton' film you can bet your life that Hellena would be in it and she would make a great quirky pirate! That would definitely get me back into the franchise. But anyway, this thread is about the sets and theme, so let me just say that even if we don't get any more waves, we still have some great mini figs. We are all mostly moccers here right? So if we want a certain scene then we build it! If you want Tia Dalmas hut, then invest in a mixture of dark and light brown tiles, get some dark green for the swampy water, some foliage and build away!!! Anythings possible with the huge amount of pieces and colours out there. Or if still have trouble, give me list of scenes you want and I will build them with step by step pics so you can build your own :)

Actually I'd love it if Tim Burton made a POTC film! The franchise needs a new look and feel to stay fresh, plus Burton knows Depp inside out, and being a 'Burton' film you can bet your life that Hellena would be in it and she would make a great quirky pirate!

This is pretty much my thinking.

For some reason I am thinking of the 'Doctor's Wife' episode of Doctor Who, but with Jack Sparrow as the Doctor, the Black Pearl as the Tardis, and Helena Bonham Carter as the 'Doctor's Wife'. Directed by Tim Burton. I think that would make a great film.

But from what I know there is going to be a 5th and 6th movie, back to back.

I'm not certain about Tim Burton, don't get me wrong I love the man to death and his macabre cinematic style is brilliant.

However despite POTC being right down Burton's alley, he has an uncanny knack for caricature, so the characters are more or less exaggerated to obscene and eccentric standards, that would make a serious and successful pirates franchise perhaps not the best it could be.

I may be wrong about this, and Burton could bring some interesting angles to another stand-alone POTC film, but if we do want POTC to continue in further instalments I'd recommend Verbinski or someone else familiar with POTC.

I'm of two minds on this.

This is pretty much my thinking.

For some reason I am thinking of the 'Doctor's Wife' episode of Doctor Who, but with Jack Sparrow as the Doctor, the Black Pearl as the Tardis, and Helena Bonham Carter as the 'Doctor's Wife'. Directed by Tim Burton. I think that would make a great film.

Don't forget that this is a topic about the LEGO line.... :pir-wink:

Actually I'd love it if Tim Burton made a POTC film! The franchise needs a new look and feel to stay fresh, plus Burton knows Depp inside out, and being a 'Burton' film you can bet your life that Hellena would be in it and she would make a great quirky pirate! That would definitely get me back into the franchise. But anyway, this thread is about the sets and theme, so let me just say that even if we don't get any more waves, we still have some great mini figs. We are all mostly moccers here right? So if we want a certain scene then we build it! If you want Tia Dalma's hut, then invest in a mixture of dark and light brown tiles, get some dark green for the swampy water, some foliage and build away!!! Anythings possible with the huge amount of pieces and colours out there. Or if still have trouble, give me list of scenes you want and I will build them with step by step pics so you can build your own :)

I wouldn't mind seeing a set released depicting the inside of Tia Dalma's shack, what with the various jars, cauldrons, and hanging voodoo paraphernalia. Depicting this with candles and perhaps single wall with her front door and the front porch/swamp would make for a quirky detailed little set. I'm think. About the size of Captain's Cabin or Isla de Muerta.

Oh, oh, oh and while I'm on a roll. A nice little set LEGO could make would be the rum/maroon isle. A spittle of sand, with a secret stashed rum/food cellar. A reintroduction of the palm trees, Elizabeth/Angelica (in a different outfit -bloomers?) and Jack. And a separate bonfire.

In addition, thinking on some of the classic scenes, I would like to see someone have a crack at depicting the underwater rowboat scene with Jack and Will walking beneath the dock towards the Dauntless. Anybody with the Atlantis sets should find this easy and enticingly challenging. I'm interested to see how people capture the scene and the feel of being underwater. Well there's an idea for an MOC or new set anyway.

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this yet...

Black Pearl

...there is a link to a preliminary picture of the black pearl!

There is an entire 8 page thread about this picture. :pir_laugh2:

Edited by mobricki

There is an entire 8 page thread about this picture. :pir_laugh2:

Oh, didn't see that. I thought any new news of the black pearl would've been posted on this thread.

I'm not sure if this has already been answered, but are the gold bars and coins in the sets now chromed? Or do you still have to contact TLG to get the chromed ones?

Edited by Gregorovich

It probably depends which wave you get when buying. They sure didn't remove all the sets with pearl gold from the shelves just for it ...

I didn't think this really warranted a new thread and I couldn't think of where else it belonged...

I was cruising Amazon.ca last night and saw that there are two new minifigure alarm clocks poised to hit the shelves...Jack Sparrow and Barbossa. No pics available yet, just a product listing.

I didn't think this really warranted a new thread and I couldn't think of where else it belonged...

I was cruising Amazon.ca last night and saw that there are two new minifigure alarm clocks poised to hit the shelves...Jack Sparrow and Barbossa. No pics available yet, just a product listing.

This doesn't seem out of the ordinary. PotC is a big license for TLG, and with more movies, there is no doubt an ongoing product line. There have been numerous SW clocks, and they must have been good sellers for TLG.

Is the 30132 Jack Sparrow rare? Is it worth much?

It seems to be fairly rare. Here in the US, it was available if you preordered the video game from certain outlets (TRU and Gamestop). It was also available for purchase for $3 during a narrow window of time (a few days only) back in... May, I think? I think in the UK it was part of a newspaper promotion. But these are the only ways the polybag was available. I have a feeling it won't be available at retail again.

According to the Bricklink sales history, it tends to sell for around $6 right now. It looks like it's selling for about $14 now on Amazon, I assume due to scarce stock. Interesting.

It seems to be fairly rare. Here in the US, it was available if you preordered the video game from certain outlets (TRU and Gamestop). It was also available for purchase for $3 during a narrow window of time (a few days only) back in... May, I think? I think in the UK it was part of a newspaper promotion. But these are the only ways the polybag was available. I have a feeling it won't be available at retail again.

According to the Bricklink sales history, it tends to sell for around $6 right now. It looks like it's selling for about $14 now on Amazon, I assume due to scarce stock. Interesting.

In the UK it was available only through HMV and most people I gather didn't find out till after the release. However with these things the shops do have some stock left and might let you buy one if you ask nicely enough, I too missed out unfortunately.

:jollyroger:

I actually have four of them in my possession currently, MISB. I found them on clearance at the local Wal-mart.

So are there any rumors around what LEGO is doing with this fine line? Any statistics about the sales and how satisfied TLG is with it? I really hope we do see another wave after the Black Pearl in September!

I'm curious to know that as well. It's been pretty quiet on the PotC front lately, it would be nice to know what the plans are for the line going forward.

I dont see any reasons why TLC would contiune this line. I want Classic Pirates back! This theme was a really good yes, but i dont really see the point for second wave. Every theme has its end, and POTC has it in Setember. Although i really was hoping Inteceptor, and would like to Lego to release one more set before the line ends.

Captain Becker

Every theme has its end when it's exhausted. POTC is far from it after just a year and 8 sets from 4 movies. I can't say that TLG lacks ideas so I would love to see at least one more wave. If they produce 2 ships each time, they've got material for at least 3 more waves if we only count the most important ships. Also there's a big lack of figures from the movies. I miss all the pirate lords, the Spaniards the Honk Kong people Tia Dalma and so on and on ...

As for the classic pirates, I do agree they should reappear but I'd prefer it after another wave of POTC (Come on, I just got used to the fleshies :D). And they should go a bit more civilian and ports way rather than producing a new generic ship and smugglers islands every wave of classic Pirates.

Every theme has its end when it's exhausted. POTC is far from it after just a year and 8 sets from 4 movies. I can't say that TLG lacks ideas so I would love to see at least one more wave. If they produce 2 ships each time, they've got material for at least 3 more waves if we only count the most important ships. Also there's a big lack of figures from the movies. I miss all the pirate lords, the Spaniards the Honk Kong people Tia Dalma and so on and on ...

As for the classic pirates, I do agree they should reappear but I'd prefer it after another wave of POTC (Come on, I just got used to the fleshies :D). And they should go a bit more civilian and ports way rather than producing a new generic ship and smugglers islands every wave of classic Pirates.

I spoke with an employee at the Lego store and he said that the line has been selling really well and that Lego is happy with it. He also said the Pearl is coming out in September.