kurigan

A proposal

Nice AC I don't think you could take a bad photo of your ship if you tried. pirate_thumbup.gif

What is CO?

CO means commanding officer, the captain, commander (post-captain) or lieutenant in charge (if it's a prize then it could even be a midshipman)

I reserved this space so you can add yourself in there!

EDIT: Here are the tables. Got questions? Shoot them right away!

Please remember to include all cannons!

I used this uploader as it is a very fast and easy host. Sorry about the pop-ups, Adblock killed them in my browser so I didn't notice them :pir-blush:

When the beta test's finished, I'll move them to a more suitable place.

Edited by Horry

It said that if your ship is built above the waterline to add 30% more weight. I'm assuming that the lego hulls are above the waterline?

It said that if your ship is built above the waterline to add 30% more weight. I'm assuming that the lego hulls are above the waterline?

Aye. There are a few ships around here that incorporate brick-built hulls that are complete with keel and bilge and they will certainly have more weight. It would seem unfair to give those ships that happen to be much work a disadvantage :-) - To add somethin' positive: it also gives your ship more hitpoints. So, if you got a 10Kg ship with a Lego hull, just add 300g :pir-classic:

I think I did the tables right... :pirate_sad2: Is it about right for brigs and stuff to move 3 squares?

You may want to come up with stats for 18 pdr guns - they were actually the most common size for cannons on frigates. 24 pdrs were quite rare on frigates until the end of the 18th century.

You may want to come up with stats for 18 pdr guns - they were actually the most common size for cannons on frigates. 24 pdrs were quite rare on frigates until the end of the 18th century.

You are quite right. Mostly French frigates featured 24pdrs in that time. But I orientated the sizes on the most common MOC-cannons here in the board. Still, there's no harm adding another size, thank you very much :pir-classic:

INFORMATION: There has been an error in the formula for transformation from speed into squares - I'll fix it and upload the new table - I am sorry for the inconvenience! :pir-cry_sad:

What is the minimum size for a ship?

I don't think there is a minimum size. You just weigh your ship to find out how strong it is. :pir-classic:

I don't think there is a minimum size. You just weigh your ship to find out how strong it is. :pir-classic:

That is right. If you want to find out what a longboat can do against a first rate, you're welcome to try :pir-grin:

Update:

Now, here's the correct table. In the last one, the formula for the translation from knots into squares was lost somehow, sorry again for that.

That is right. If you want to find out what a longboat can do against a first rate, you're welcome to try :pir-grin:

Update:

Now, here's the correct table. In the last one, the formula for the translation from knots into squares was lost somehow, sorry again for that.

I don't see a link or anything... :pir-look:

Sorry, I'm a bit confused and tired, had a weekend of work. Link is here: http://www.file-upload.net/download-3520602/Rocks---Shoals.xls.html

Are you sure the 1st one had a problem and this one didn't? :pir-sceptic: The one you posted 1st said my ships go 3 squares while this one says my ships go 0 squares... :pir-angry:

Oh, it's ok if you are tired. :pir-wink: Take a break for once! :pir-laugh:

Are you sure the 1st one had a problem and this one didn't? :pir-sceptic: The one you posted 1st said my ships go 3 squares while this one says my ships go 0 squares... :pir-angry:

Oh, it's ok if you are tired. :pir-wink: Take a break for once! :pir-laugh:

:pirate_sad2::pir-hmpf_bad: This is what I get for bein' too impudent. I wanted to include rounding into the formula. This means, it's good in rounding - too good. Your speed should be 1 square, then. And yes, sadly the last table had no formula at this field at all, there was only a three, hence your marvelous three squares.

:pirate_sad2::pir-hmpf_bad: This is what I get for bein' too impudent. I wanted to include rounding into the formula. This means, it's good in rounding - too good. Your speed should be 1 square, then. And yes, sadly the last table had no formula at this field at all, there was only a three, hence your marvelous three squares.

Now THAT makes sense... :pir_laugh2: The program is too good. Do you photoshop the ships or do we? Thanks a lot Horry.

Capt.JohnPaul

I'm ready to go on the beta testing.

With a lot going on in Classic-Pirates at the moment we are yet to come to a decision on a home for the game but it is being discussed. I'll try to get us a place to beta test ASAP but these things do take time.

Whiz (TazManiac).

Can you please check that I've done this right.

HMS Hell Hound.doc

5844474004_5eabae049b_b.jpg

Edited by Whiz

I'm ready to go on the beta testing.

Unfortunately, I'm not. My editing program can't select everything but the ship. :pir-sceptic: Maybe because my sails are white.

If some one out there would do it for me, that would be appreciated. :pir-classic: I will post the links.

Capt.JohnPaul

Not to worry, here your ships are! :pir-wink:

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw the link... stupid me. :facepalm::pir_laugh2:

I'm Ready to beta test, so when we play we just send these links to the host? And he'll photoshop them onto the grid?

Edited by Capt.JohnPaul

If you want to find out what a longboat can do against a first rate, you're welcome to try

That is precisely what I will do. A lot of MOC ships only have broadside cannons. If you have six boats each mounting a ballista like the one on the skeleton ship attack on the front, the enemy ship would need six turns to destroy all of them. You would be able to have 21(6+5+4+3+2+1) firing passes. You would be able to heavily damage, if not destroy the ememy ship.

I think rowing should be made a factor of overall speed. Boats would be even faster and deadlier with this advantage. Basically, boats would be used in hit-and-run tactics. If you don't get hit, you won't get sunk. Of course, one 24 pounder on a ship would have more than enough firepower to sink a boat in one hit. Also, I think it's possible to mount a 24-pounder onto a boat. TLG has done it on 6241 (Loot Island) and other sets.

That is precisely what I will do. A lot of MOC ships only have broadside cannons. If you have six boats each mounting a ballista like the one on the skeleton ship attack on the front, the enemy ship would need six turns to destroy all of them. You would be able to have 21(6+5+4+3+2+1) firing passes. You would be able to heavily damage, if not destroy the ememy ship.

I think rowing should be made a factor of overall speed. Boats would be even faster and deadlier with this advantage. Basically, boats would be used in hit-and-run tactics. If you don't get hit, you won't get sunk. Of course, one 24 pounder on a ship would have more than enough firepower to sink a boat in one hit. Also, I think it's possible to mount a 24-pounder onto a boat. TLG has done it on 6241 (Loot Island) and other sets.

Well, in technical terms mounting a 24 pounder onto a longboat (much more a dinghy if we look at the standard boats of TLG) would be impossible. And even if it could carry that weapon, firing it would blow the boat to pieces - the recoil would simply smash the poor little thing. But since it has been done by TLG and we don't want to discourage imagination, I'd say, let them have a 24 pounder - considering this, a dinghy or a longboat would make an estimated 3 knots per turn in every direction.

Capt.JohnPaul: Yes, the host will shop them onto the grid. We'll start soon, I'd say.