Future74

[REVIEW] 7965 Millennium Falcon

Review: 7965 Millennium Falcon  

177 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Ahh...I see what they did. They made the mandibles longer. The damn canopy is still too far forward. Interior is very sparce but very modible.

Great review!

Thanks for reviewing this, Future74! It's great to see so many good quality photos. Perhaps you could clarify one thing? I presume the set also has a boarding ramp, but I couldn't see mention of it in your review. Thanks!

I'm not sure I agree that

5835877402_9e590f2400.jpg

is a bit improvement over

4504_31_hyperdrive.jpg

but each to his own!

I think this set improves some aspects of 4504, but unfortunately at the expense of others. This view just about sums up what I don't like about this incarnation:

5835324245_5f2076e6ff.jpg

Those exposed technic beams on the underside are hideous. I can understand why they are needed, but for a set that is likely to be displayed like this, I think they should have paid more attention to the underside. It also seems to sit a little low.

I'll probably get this set anyway (I always give in :enough: ) but it'll be a project for the future to combine this and 4504 to create a System-scale Falcon I'm happy with...

Never having the chance to get the 4504, this is a god send for me, it's absolutely on my list, and a fantastic review, I know exactly what I'm in for when I get it.

Great review, I'm looking forward to this new version, as the 4504 always seemed to be lacking in way or another. Is it me or is Leia's new head, Princess Tamina's?

Thanks for the review Future74. The Falcon isn't one of my favourite ships in the films, so I won't get the lego one, but it does seem to be quite good but does look almost the same as the second one.

Nice Review, you made me think of some points

-It is true, it is an improvement from 2004. that is for sure

-The droids not in the list, bad thing

-Colour, i'd prefer the old one, but, nevermind

-Stickers... suck :(

-The papers didnt come (since it has more than 1000 pieces) in an envelope or so?

The Falcon isn't one of my favourite ships in the films

HERETIC! :laugh:

Thank you so very much for the detailed review, If I wasn't already gonna get this set, you convinced me to get it :laugh:

ok, my vote goes to average... the set is not that bad, but maybe, since I already own a 4504 copy, I don't see the reason to make a new falcon, except to let the unlucky people who didn't buy the old one, to have the chance to buy the new one.

minifigs are a good selection, even if I would have personally swapped Darth Vader for the two droids who match better in this set. the great addition of the lower cannon is imho the most interesting feature of this set and all those stickers are the most awful part... come on!!! even the 2x2 round tiles with grill are not printed !!! with a little effort, tlc could have made retractable landing gears and with a better interior, like separated rooms, this set could have been easily in my wish must-buy list.

I have the same opinion for the slave-I and the AT-AT of this year, but I see only the fact that today, many people can put their hands on slightly better sets that haven't been on production for a long while.

I consider this (and the other mentioned sets) like a "legend" edition.

have a nice lego day

mrBlue

Thanks everybody for your enthousiastic replies! So many already... :blush:

For everyone who missed out on the previous version this is a must-buy. Dont expect TLC to bring it (or in any other size) out again anytime soon.

Wow, a huge hug for this highly anticipated review! Thanks, buddy. :thumbup:

Your review is excellent with very clear photo shots of the set and minifigs. I especially love your small scenes and funny dialogues. :classic:

*snip*

You’re welcome, great that you love it. :cry_happy:

Your extra picture requests are noted. I will see to it.

As for your other questions:

I recognised the top flaps to have differing gap sizes.

- This is design.

The back of the ship (side view) looks a little squeezed from behind. Is it just me or would you agree on this reception?

- Not really noticed. If so, it’s not very disturbing.

The main sublight thrusters are somewhat broader in the original film model. What could be the reason for this design?

– I think this is a designers choice I cant relate to. Maybe it’s to much effort in a detail only we (fans) notice.

The front landing gear seem to be hinged on different stud lines. Was this your build or is it intentionally designed that way?

– Definitly design. I put them exactly where the manual said they should be.

Might it be possible to mod in an escepe pod without a major overhaul of the ship?

– Difficult. The design is well done and for putting in an escape pod you really need to work the rest. But not impossible.

@Aanchir: your picture request of Leia’s hair is noted too. As for Luke’s hair; I forgot to mention but in my opinion the new hair mold is way better.

The old one made him look a bit like a girl. I shall make comparison pictures of these too.

@P4trickvH: love to do those scene in between to keep the review fun to read. Glad you enjoyed it.

@Masked Builder: the bottom could do some work, but I can understand why TLC didnt.

It would steer the price up even more, and that’s something we dont want.

@ZO6: I think the space between the gaps could be reduced by one stud-line, but I‘m not sure.

@Flail: Putting the canopy back is extremely difficult as for this the size of the MF is the problem.

I also agree with ZO6: a smaller size of the cockpit would severely compromise the ability to seat more than 1 minifigure.

@Rufus: thanks for quoting 4504 review. I agree the new hyperdrive is improved, but anyone can judge for themselves.

The new MF seems low compared to the old one, but this is not true is optical – because of the extra stud-line (where the landing gear is attached to) on the bottom. The landing gear should have had a little more attention.

Edited by Future74

Good review and nice set - although I've got 4504 and can't justify the expense of this. BUT the front is crying out for some power functions lights!!

Edited by jamzee

Good review. It dose have some improvements from the older ones, but i still perfer the 2004 version.

Thank you for the review! :classic:

As much as I would like a Falcon included in my Starwars collection, I think I will wait for a sale rather than buy this immediately

Great review. Looking at the comparison pics, I think the best solution would be a mix between the two versions.

Although I like this set, once you have the UCS falcon, it just seems, meih. I don't think I'll be impressed by a Falcon anytime soon, except for the one they placed in Legoland.

Thank you for the great review! :thumbup:

I am in complete agreement with Rufus here. The set is good but falls down in to many areas to be called better in opinion. The under side is truly shocking for the price-point TLC is asking! :sad: I will be looking to get this on some kind of sale, maybe a 3 for 2 deal with 2 republic frigates. :laugh:

After seeing the two versions of the ship side-by-side I now think the new one is an improvement. I still wish that Lego would focus on a vehicle that has never been produced instead of the Falcon. But, I have to say that the ship is very detailed. Of course all of the figures are way overused. It would be nice to see some new or different characters.

Great review 'Future74'. Though not a set I will be getting, TLG still did a wonderful job on the remake. I am definitely for the exterior's redesign but, think the inside could have used a bit more. Great job anyways :classic:

Very good review, much thanks for sharing this Future74! :thumbup: Good and bad things have been said about this set, but one thing is sure this is the best time for those who have missed the previous versions of the MF (including me) to finally own the Falcon and add it to their collection. Yes it's not perfectly made but that is why there's such a thing as "modification" - anyone is free to improve it according to their liking.

Theres a pretty big size difference between this and 4504, didn't notice that before.

Also, I think you messed up on the front landing gear. One of the feat s backwards and it looks like the pegs were positioned wrong.

I can't wait to get this and modify the hell out of it! : :devil_laugh:

Awsome review, I really wanted to see the comparison between the new and old Falcon. I missed the old version and IMO the new is much better so Im happy that I will be able to pick this set up.

The mandible gap still bugs me, but an overall great set.

I have the 4504, and still think this is a minor improvement (over an already excellent set), but will def be picking this one up too.