Sign in to follow this  
Aanchir

MOC: Angelique

Copypasted from Flickr:

angelique.png

My attempt at making a female Hero Factory villain. She doesn't look very villainous, however. I was going to have a Ben 10 tail but couldn't find a good way to attach it that didn't leave the butt a weird shape.

Bulk's mask was the only one I could find that worked on a female figure but which didn't look too much like a hero. And it's not very feminine at all. But until a better alternative arises I'm gonna stick with it.

Her torso is way too complex for a Hero Factory villain IMO... too much Technic. And altogether it doesn't end up a very solid shape. I'll come back to it someday.

On a side note, I really like the Stars feet for the Hero Factory theme. They're a nice shape, a nice size, and they don't require using out-of-date hinge styles.

Download the LXF here.

It's curious. Looks like your Angelique is the enemy of my Sharon Angelus. A female hero vs a female villain. With wings! Is a very good set, but her legs are a little bit short. Just a design question: She has got fire wings?

My link

I'm not trying to be a big jerk but honestly, I don't really like this except the wings. I don't understand why you take too Technic-intensive builds a bad thing either. Lots of technic is a good thing for me. It makes the build a little more challenging(Which I like). I can't even imagine figures with 1% Technic because Hero Factory/Bionicle is a subtheme of Technic, and you know that.

Sure they might look ugly, but Technic isn't a bad thing. Again, I don't mean to be an jerk. Just saying. :thumbup::classic:

Edited by TheRedGuy

It's curious. Looks like your Angelique is the enemy of my Sharon Angelus. A female hero vs a female villain. With wings! Is a very good set, but her legs are a little bit short. Just a design question: She has got fire wings?

My link

The legs are short? Really? I based the whole MOC around a standard Hero frame (adjusted a bit to have longer upper legs, more in line with a standard human figure), so I would think the legs should be long enough.

And yeah, she's got fire wings. I was looking for a simple wing design that would use a somewhat repetitive pattern to create formidable-looking wings (much like the dragons in Ninjago, except I was largely testing the capacity for such a design using the Hero Factory building system). Hero Factory and BIONICLE weapons were the main place I looked for inspiration, and when I saw Furno's fire shooter piece it was too cool to pass up.

I'm not trying to be an "Jackass" but honestly, I don't really like this except the wings. I don't understand why you take too much Technic a bad thing either. Lots of technic is a good thing for me. It makes the build a little more challenging(Which I like). I can't even imagine figures with 1% Technic.

Sure they might look ugly, but Technic isn't a bad thing. Again, I don't mean to be an jackass. Just saying. :thumbup::classic:

Well, I don't mind Technic in general, but I'm generally a lot more pleased with myself if I can create a unique-looking and complete-looking model with the same design constraints a set designer might have to obey-- for instance, limited piece count and fairly simple construction. Technic can be a good thing, but at the same time I've seen plenty of MOCs where a torso's structure is a huge, solid block of Technic parts, without the sort of smooth, simplified aesthetic an actual set might have, and I try to avoid that.

This doesn't mean I avoid Technic constructions in my MOCs-- in this case, it was necessary, and Fire Lord's torso shows how Technic-based action figures can be done tastefully without disrupting the simple aesthetic. However, things like Fire Lord's upper arms-- blocky, exposed, and not at all streamlined-- are the sorts of Technic-based building I like to avoid.

And in other people's MOCs, Technic constructions can indeed be done tastefully. The thing that bothers me is when the Technic begins to interrupt the intended aesthetic of the model. If a model is supposed to fit in with sets, then it should at least have the looks of one if not the actual simplicity of design-- any large quantity of basic Technic parts ought to be well-hidden. A more "artsy" MOC, not intended to fit in with sets, can use Technic and System willy-nilly (some of my favorite BIONICLE MOCs do so), but I don't tend to build many of those myself (possibly because I just don't have the design talent).

"Short" I mean, she is a villain. I think that villains are taller because they don't have normal shapes. But you said that you took a hero design. So it's ok now. About the Technic pices... If you choose to make a 2.0 villain or 2011 model, you should know about this things. Anyway I think that you should build her witha another structure, like a Bionicle or a Technic Action Figure.