Praiter Yed

[MOC] Speeder Bike

gallery_101_23_281.gif

I was supposed to be building a white one but a female imposed ban on my Lego expenditure has forced me to press on with a grey version.

I set myself the challenge of building a speeder that could seat a minifig, feet on pedals, without removing the legs - the solution forced some inaccuracies in the build. I'm aware that aside from the huge rear end (that's how I like 'em) there are other 'problems' but before I start high-lighting where I think it fails I'd love to hear other opinions. I sound pretty negative but I'm actually quite pleased with it...

01_74-z_speeder_bike_endor.jpg

02_74-z_speeder_bike_endor.jpg

I produced some LDD files using the front design (without the illegal bits obviously) and abandoned the idea of a 1 stud wide nose until I saw Darth Yogi's Speeder in the brick. I thought his version worked really well and decided to give it a go but ultimately reverted back to the curved slope as seen above.

I will still be building the Hoth version and am likely to try a different approach as I have some ideas that I haven't explored here. I'll probably be asking 'the community' to decide which version I should keep.

More here when public.

lxf file

EDIT: Added pictures of Hoth Speeder Bike. I must give credit to Larry Lars for the Blaster/Outrigger/Steering Vane combo.

01_74-z_speeder_bike_hoth.jpg

02_74-z_speeder_bike_hoth.jpg

More here.

lxf file

Edited by KielDaMan
Indexed

Hello!

To use the airplane wheel socket for stabilizing the pilot is simply brilliant! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Very nicely done speeder Praiter, I really like it for what it is, like a modified version of the 74-Z. The detailing underneath is excellent and the "slightly-squeezed" front bars to create a V-shape is ingenious. Great job, and nice signature watermark BTW! :thumbup:

Nicely done. I like my MOCs on the larger side as well. I'm not sure about the handles, though, they look too bulky.

Wow , that's one of the best speeders I've ever seen , nice job Praiter ! Although, I think you should take another picture in which the scout trooper has a more natural feel , I don't really like the way he is riding the bike (it's still perfect though )....

I looks great Praiter Yed, A different bike the the 74-Z, but the V shaped stabilisers and the bulky back look really good. The only problem I have with it is the unnatural looking position of the pilot.

Well, this is one nice MOC! The V-shaped front looks great. But I think the back of the speeder is a just a little too large. Great MOC though!

Hello!

To use the airplane wheel socket for stabilizing the pilot is simply brilliant! :classic:

Cheers, ~ Christopher

Thanks Legostein - I wish Lego made a part specifically to seat a minifig like this. I'm not a fan of the big moulded motor-cycle parts - reminds me of Playmobil.

Very nicely done speeder Praiter, I really like it for what it is, like a modified version of the 74-Z. The detailing underneath is excellent and the "slightly-squeezed" front bars to create a V-shape is ingenious.

Thanks KDM. It is supposed to be a 74-Z (I deliberately avoided putting that in the title though :laugh:) but I decided I couldn't get the level of accuracy I would like at this size. So, imagine you see a 74-Z in the distance - parts blur together - one piece represents multiple areas, hence the V-shape outrigger - this should really protrude from under the 'nose' but I thought this way it could double as bits that hold it from the side too.

Great job, and nice signature watermark BTW! :thumbup:

:laugh: I had a bit of spare time at work :blush:

Nicely done. I like my MOCs on the larger side as well. I'm not sure about the handles, though, they look too bulky.

Thanks Brickdoctor. I agree - I would prefer them to be further forward but the only way I could figure out how to do that was to shave a stud off a 1x1 with studs on 4 sides - I'm not against that, but not until I have more spares. I tried replacing the taps with a piece of cut tube placed horizontally but the angle of the scout's hands just kept pushing it off (I might have cut it too short though :hmpf: ).

Wow , that's one of the best speeders I've ever seen , nice job Praiter ! Although, I think you should take another picture in which the scout trooper has a more natural feel , I don't really like the way he is riding the bike (it's still perfect though )....

I looks great Praiter Yed, A different bike the the 74-Z, but the V shaped stabilisers and the bulky back look really good. The only problem I have with it is the unnatural looking position of the pilot.

Thanks Guys. Could you be more specific about the unnatural position please - is it the height of the arms or the back sloping legs that's the problem? :wink:

Well, this is one nice MOC! The V-shaped front looks great. But I think the back of the speeder is a just a little too large. Great MOC though!

Cheers Hollander. Yes, the back is too big - but I just liked it, and didn't have the heart to change it :blush: . I will try an alternative when I eventually build my Hoth speeder bike.

Edited by Praiter Yed

Most interesting... This is a most unique design for the speeder bike, and I must say that I quite like it. :thumbup: I really like the way you did the front bit.

Most interesting... This is a most unique design for the speeder bike, and I must say that I quite like it. :thumbup: I really like the way you did the front bit.

Thank you Masked Builder.

If anyone is interested I have made a lxf file available - it's quite messy. The only thing I can think to note is that there is a 1 x 1 lamp holder at the rear it must be the old style with a thin ring.

ldd_speeder_bike_hoth.png

lxf file

Edited by Praiter Yed

That's an amazing speeder bike, the seat for the pilot is a brilliant idea. Great work. :classic:

Great MOC. I really like how you can seat the driver. And the speeder looks amazing aswell.

Keep up the good work.

Nice build. I digg how you used that airplane wheel holder piece, great work! :thumbup:

Thanks Guys. Could you be more specific about the unnatural position please - is it the height of the arms or the back sloping legs that's the problem? :wink:

It's the way the fig is leaning forward, it would look slightly more natural (and comfortable if the fig leaned back a bit. Also the handles are a bit high, if you used the clone helmet light pieces as in someone's (forgotten who :blush:) MOC, it would lower the height a bit.

Also I noticed you have said it is a representation of a 74-Z. It doesn't really look like one, but still looks good as ether a different bike or a heavy version of the 74-Z.

That's an amazing speeder bike, the seat for the pilot is a brilliant idea. Great work. :classic:

Great MOC. I really like how you can seat the driver. And the speeder looks amazing aswell.

Keep up the good work.

Nice build. I digg how you used that airplane wheel holder piece, great work! :thumbup:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

It's the way the fig is leaning forward, it would look slightly more natural (and comfortable if the fig leaned back a bit. Also the handles are a bit high, if you used the clone helmet light pieces as in someone's (forgotten who :blush:) MOC, it would lower the height a bit.

Also I noticed you have said it is a representation of a 74-Z. It doesn't really look like one, but still looks good as ether a different bike or a heavy version of the 74-Z.

Thanks for the feedback Mr Man - I think the other Speeder may have been Larry Lars'.

I wanted to use the Clone helmet light pieces but I only own two and can only find one :laugh: . I tried some cut down tubing but it just kept pinging off - I'm going to try again as it clearly should work.

I'm tempted to say the 74-Z would be impossible to create accurately in Lego at this scale - but comments like that tend to come back and bite me on the behind. I'd be happy if it's similar to a 74-Z or just better than Legos'. Maybe my next version will get closer. :wink:

Edited by Praiter Yed

I've updated the first post to include pictures of the Hoth speeder. This is almost a completely different design (credit to Larry Lars for the Blaster/Outrigger/Steering Vane combo) and it would be ridiculous to have inconsistent speeder bike designs - don't you think? Therefore I would much appreciate it if the guys and gals of EB could let me know which one's best or even if I should mix them up a bit (the front and back are interchangeable).

Cheers,

Praiter

10_speeder_bike_hoth_front2.jpg

More here when public.

Edited by Praiter Yed

Funny, I happen to be taking pictures of my own version of this right now. :look:

Anyways, nice work. The new sideways orientation of the hands is probably the best part. :thumbup:

Edited by Brickdoctor

Dam, how could I miss this AWESOME looking snow-speeder-bike.....best one I have seen in a long, long, long time ! :grin:

May the Sith Brick be with you 'Praiter Yed' :grin:

I think Praiter Yed, that the old back would suit it better, but the new body is better. The piping doesn't really do it for me sorry. The controls look better now but he still looks uncomfortable :grin:.

Oh looking at it again, the new back looks quite good.but could do without the pipe. And I love the peddles :thumbup:.

Might I ask the reason for the protrusion in the rear connecting to the trooper's back?

That's the heat supply to the suit. I had made a more detailed power heater but it was too bulky. I can improve on the hose, I was just using parts I had to hand (I'm still banned from buying more Lego :laugh: ).

Anyways, nice work. The new sideways orientation of the hands is probably the best part. :thumbup:

:look: Not sure how to take that :wink: - the best bit is the tiny pieces of cut tubing? Scrap this version and use these handle bars on the grey version?

Oh wow, I like the white one too! :thumbup: I really like the way that hose is on the backpack.

Thanks Masked Builder.

Dam, how could I miss this AWESOME looking snow-speeder-bike.....best one I have seen in a long, long, long time ! :grin:

May the Sith Brick be with you 'Praiter Yed' :grin:

Thanks lightning tiger - looks like you'll be seeing another pretty soon. You wait a long, long, long time for a Hoth Speeder Bike, then two come along at once. :laugh:

I think Praiter Yed, that the old back would suit it better, but the new body is better. The piping doesn't really do it for me sorry. The controls look better now but he still looks uncomfortable :grin:.

Oh looking at it again, the new back looks quite good.but could do without the pipe. And I love the peddles :thumbup:.

Cheers Mr Man. The pipe would only apply to the cold weather version, once I settle on design (and am allowed back on BL) I'll probably make more regular versions. I suspect a Speeder Bike would be pretty uncomfortable to ride anyway - I bet those Scout Troopers get through tons of talc :grin: .

EDIT: Added lxf file for this version.

ldd_speeder_bike_final_2.png

lxf file.

Edited by Praiter Yed

The Hoth version is even better in my opinion. I already wanted to give you some advice (as far as I can, I'm a rookie, you know) till I read you wanted to hear If you should combine the body and back of those two speeders. Well, I think the front of the first speeder and the back of the second speeder would make the best looking bike. But that's my opinion. Keep us tuned!

The Hoth version is even better in my opinion. I already wanted to give you some advice (as far as I can, I'm a rookie, you know) till I read you wanted to hear If you should combine the body and back of those two speeders. Well, I think the front of the first speeder and the back of the second speeder would make the best looking bike. But that's my opinion. Keep us tuned!

I've just been looking at your Z56 Air Speeder - and you call yourself a rookie - I think you're hustling us :laugh: . Thanks for your insight Hollander - I think that idea makes perfect sense - the thinnest rear with the thinnest front :thumbup: . I'm probably going to end up trying all the configurations and this is going to become a WIP topic for a tiny MOC :blush: .