Sign in to follow this  
Duke

H.M.S. Indi

I think this is a pertinent issue to raise. While those outside Northern America may not be aware "Indian" or "Eskimo" could be seen as offensive, everyone should remember these are names given to these people by Europeans, but its not necessarily what they want to be known as.

Having mentioned that, history and fiction have always possessed a degree of ignorance or "fabricated reality" and since this MOC is fictional I wouldn't suggest that Duke change it for the sake of political correctness.

My friend is part Cherokee and was raised real close to a Menominee Reservation. Him and the native-americans that he grew up with, never cared if they were called native-americans or Indians.

In fact, most of the time they prefer to be called Indians. ;-)

But that's just speaking for northern Wisconsin, don't know about the rest of the U.S. :-$

About this MOC, I'd like to see pics of it with some yardarms at least to get a better perspective of this ship (for me anywayz X-D ).

I'd suggest having this ship Lateen Rigged instead of square rigged.

You did a pretty good job with those log pieces. Looks like it was real difficult to get the right shape using them.

P

Yes I think a lot of native Americans don't care about using the word Indian. Just like most African Americans aren't offended by being called black here in the states, but it is something to be aware of anyways.

I don't think the title needs to be changed, I just thought I would mention it in case it became a problem, which, seemingly, it will not be.

Wow guys, I didn't know all that stuff about Native Americans. I actually never met one, so all I know comes from movies and books.

I've learned some things while reading through all that information.

If you guys didn't live that far, we could discuss all this over some beers.

Why don't you all come and live in Belgium? We could talk, build some MOCs, do some wargames,...?

Wouldn't that be great?!

That'd be great, cept I'd be a lot of $$ that'd needs to be put towards lego :) I will some day visit Belgium in the future.

Why don't you all come and live in Belgium? We could talk, build some MOCs, do some wargames,...?

Wouldn't that be great?!

Well Phred and I live in two neighboring states in the US, and we have offered the most insight into the American prospective on the term, so wouldn't it make more sense for you to come live here?

plus I don't speak Dutch, German or French, and your English is obviously very good, so I think it would be a lot easier for you to try out Minnesota... or Wisconsin if you HAVE to.

Wow guys, I didn't know all that stuff about Native Americans. I actually never met one, so all I know comes from movies and books.

I've learned some things while reading through all that information.

If you guys didn't live that far, we could discuss all this over some beers.

Wouldn't that be great?!

Is Belgian beer any good? :-$

I may have to consider this if it is good.

Well Phred and I live in two neighboring states in the US, and we have offered the most insight into the American prospective on the term, so wouldn't it make more sense for you to come live here?

Or at least come visit X-D

plus I don't speak Dutch, German or French, and your English is obviously very good, so I think it would be a lot easier for you to try out Minnesota... or Wisconsin if you HAVE to.

Yeah, i only speak american and can understand english most of the time X-D

What wrong with Wisconsin? Can't beat brats, cheese, sucky beer, cranberries, and toilet paper. *y*

Hey Duke,

I'm glad to see those other two pics working again on your first post *y*

P

Yeh it's strange i thought i might have to reupload them but i simply edited it and changed nothing but they work again now :D

Sorry to make a double post but i thought i'd leave a taster of my next ship. It can't be any longer because i dont have enough slope bricks or cannons but here we go:

(When its been moderated)

Phredit:

views.bmp_thumb.jpg

(click for larger pic)

Edited by phred

More yellow!!

It that appears to be one of your Favorites!

British ships were blue and yellow so it is a good choice.

I would try to save your photos in .jpeg format so they can be posted right in the threads.

As for the ship, the back seems a little to square. You may want to try to slope it in a bit like you did at the front. A technique to try would be to build it the same way as the front, but make the number of studs before indenting again larger than you did in the front.

Will you be making a new thread for this MOC?

I will when i've finished it. Thanks for the tip on jpgs, i was wondering why it didnt want to post the image.

My friend is part Cherokee and was raised real close to a Menominee Reservation. Him and the native-americans that he grew up with, never cared if they were called native-americans or Indians.

In fact, most of the time they prefer to be called Indians. ;-)

I know you mean, a similiar phenomemon exists here with Aboriginal/Indigenous Australians - some aren't phased by what they're called while others will insist upon the latter.

Sorry to make a double post but i thought i'd leave a taster of my next ship. It can't be any longer because i dont have enough slope bricks or cannons but here we go:

Better still you could create a Work In Progress for your upcoming ship. It'll get much more attention than burying down in a thread for the HMS Indi.

Better still you could create a Work In Progress for your upcoming ship. It'll get much more attention than burying down in a thread for the HMS Indi.

WIP threads and threads with pictures will increase traffic 9 fold.

Look at the L'Orient WIP thread, and the L'Orient finished thread! Good advice Phes.

Is Belgian beer any good? :-$

I may have to consider this if it is good.

They say it is the best. But you feel very bad the next day (today is such a day for me :-X ).

Or at least come visit X-D

I've never been in the US, but when I ever go there I'll do my best to visit ;-) .

Sorry to make a double post but i thought i'd leave a taster of my next ship.

So have you destroyed the Indi to use the pieces for the Endeavour?

Edited by bonaparte

I have taken the cannons off because i didn't have enough for both, otherwise it is still intact.

I've never been in the US, but when I ever go there I'll do my best to visit ;-) .

Same here if i ever go to europe ;-)

P