Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

The frigate L'Orient

th_indexed.gif 58c

I finally finished my French frigate L'Orient and this is the result.

Because a picture is worth a thousand words, here are 20 pictures of the ship.

The sails are made out of paper and will probably stay like that because I'm too lazy to make them out of canvas.

Let me know what you think...

B.

orient10.jpg

orient14.jpg

orient20.jpg

orient18.jpg

orient17.jpg

orient16.jpg

orient15.jpg

orient19.jpg

orient13.jpg

orient12.jpg

orient11.jpg

orient09.jpg

orient08.jpg

orient07.jpg

orient06.jpg

orient05.jpg

orient04.jpg

orient03.jpg

orient02.jpg

orient01.jpg

Ah, very well. I like it much, the only possible improvements would be to take the anchor off the netted mast rigging and to add some rope rigging around the top and such. Excellent job. *y*

If I were captain I think my eyes would begin to hurt after staying in that cabin for an hour or so...... :-P

But most importantly....nice pool!

Purty!

I really like how you made it wider than the usual hullpieces without making it look silly. The sterncastle looks really good, both on the inside and outside, and the tiny cannons on the upper deck (is that the appropriate term...?) is a nice touch, I

Very nice Mr. Moderator!

I love the pennant on top! The flag and name plate on the back are also excellent!

I think I would be somewhat tempted to make the main mast a little smaller though. I think maybe I have always built my masts a little on the short side though, so maybe it is no biggy!

I might also throw some guns up on the main deck to be a little more intimidating!

and the tiny cannons on the upper deck (is that the appropriate term...?)

Those would be 'swivel guns' my good sir.

The sails are made out of paper and will probably stay like that because I'm too lazy to make them out of canvas.

WHAAAAAAAAT!!! Too lazy! How could you be too lazy!

Actually it doesn't matter so much because they don't look too bad. I suppose there is a hint of them being paper here and there but all things considering you've done well in the sail department.

Guest Mr. Cameron

*y* *y* *y* Very nice ship i love the color of it. What i also love is all of those shooting cannons they have us U.S. fans drooling i still don't know why they discontinued them in America, maybe some idiot shot his eye out and sued lego or something. Great ship *y* *y* *y*

*y* :-D Very Nice Ship! You have many blocks to build nice ship. My rate: 100000000000/6 :-D :-D

This ship is great nice size and design. I also like all the custom figures.

I also forgot to say your picture taking skills are quite excellent! We should add Photo snapping pro to your title to go along with the index building thing. I think I will need to snap new photos of my ships outside from now on! well... finished ones at least!

Damn, you have a nice pool...

You know whay I think about this ship! It's all in the previous topic. The only thing I can add on it is, change the way the anchor is hanging!

Maybe this helps (although I think it doesn't):

anchor_beam.jpg

The sails look very good btw, but if I were you, I'd remove the top sail of the main mast, or add an extra sail to the fore or mizzen masts.

If historical accurace gets in the way of good looks, I prefer the good look! :-P (Please don't understand me wrong, I think this is a beautiful ship)

Mr Tiber

Excellent ship, Bonaparte! I like the lean look of the ship's body. This thing looks like a cheetah in the savanna just waiting to take out some helpless animal. (and we all know pirates are animals ;-)) I dare to say that the masts seem too tall for the leanness of this ship, but if they're historically accurate than I can't really complain.

Great work and keep it coming.

Very nice Mr. Administrator!

Eh? I didn't build this ship! X-D

Maybe Mr Legeaux could go over to Bonaparte's place to test out his MOCs ship with floating hulls. :-D

Eh? I didn't build this ship! X-D

Ha, yes yes, I fixed it in my post! But you SHOULD build a ship this nice... someday... ;-)

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Ah, very well. I like it much, the only possible improvements would be to take the anchor off the netted mast rigging and to add some rope rigging around the top and such. Excellent job. *y*

I do plan to add some ropes and rigging to make the ship look more authentic.

But most importantly....nice pool!

You are welcome to come over for a swim ;-)

I think I would be somewhat tempted to make the main mast a little smaller though. I think maybe I have always built my masts a little on the short side though, so maybe it is no biggy!

The mast might be a bit high, but my ship has to be fast if I ever meet one of your ships in battle (especially the one that you are currently constructing!).

I might also throw some guns up on the main deck to be a little more intimidating!

Good Idea, I'll put some cannons on the deck.

I also forgot to say your picture taking skills are quite excellent! We should add Photo snapping pro to your title to go along with the index building thing. I think I will need to snap new photos of my ships outside from now on! well... finished ones at least!

It would be a good idea to make some new pictures of some of your ships. I've heard a rumor there will be a best ships ever election in the near future. But that is still a secret, so let's keep this between us.

You know whay I think about this ship! It's all in the previous topic. The only thing I can add on it is, change the way the anchor is hanging!

You are right Mr. Tiber, I'll modify that. Thanks for the tip!

The invitation for oo7 also goes for you Mr. Tiber!

And you don't live that far away...

Ha, yes yes, I fixed it in my post! But you SHOULD build a ship this nice... someday... ;-)

Indeed I should. I also should be granted time to build a ship that nice... someday... Don't think its going to happen anytime soon though.

Wonderful ship.Nicely done.I like how you used a small amount of colors instead of making it a rainbow.Personally I think it doesn't need changing,but it's your ship.

BTW I have a pool but its green and has frogs.Thanks to Katrina.

Nice Ship B

The ship looks real nice. *y*

The main mast does seem a little tall, but i can understand wanting to out run larger frigates like Z's phantom.

Good Idea, I'll put some cannons on the deck.

I'd put cannons of a smaller caliber on the top deck ;-)

Similar to what Z did on his phantom.

Is your ship going to go for a swim in the pool?

Is this pool at your parents or your house?

P

Nice Ship B

The ship looks real nice. *y*

The main mast does seem a little tall, but i can understand wanting to out run larger frigates like Z's phantom.

He doesn't have to run from me, we can make an alliance. I could use the ground forces!

I've got three different caliber cannons on the Phantom now. But you can also put carronades like on Phred's ship. Do a google search for the USS Constitution or follow some wiki links on this site to the USS Constitution page for a look at those guys. They are short, light guns with a large bore. They aren't on wheels like regular cannons, but instead on a carriage that allows the guns to slide back to allow for reloading. They are kinda like the shotgun of cannons! Of course, being the master index builder, you have undoubtedly seen these links! I mean we even have a thread that discusses said differences right here in our forums! Aren't we pirate geeks! Anyway, I might consider a couple of carronades on the top deck and a few small caliber long guns up there.

Wonderful ship.Nicely done.I like how you used a small amount of colors instead of making it a rainbow.Personally I think it doesn't need changing,but it's your ship.

Thanks. I plan to do some minor changes:

- Change the way the anchor is hanging (as suggested by Mr. Tiber). This was discussed recently by Z. and P. in some thread. I'll search for it to get some inspiration

- Add some more ropes.

Is your ship going to go for a swim in the pool?

Is this pool at your parents or your house?

P

I already constructed some smaller cannons base on your "cannon index" but they were not high enough to shoot over the side. I'll need to make some holes for the guns. I'll do some experimenting tonight.

The pool is at my parents house. My house is still under construction. It actually looks a bit like a pool these days :-D.

I've got three different caliber cannons on the Phantom now. But you can also put carronades like on Phred's ship. Do a google search for the USS Constitution or follow some wiki links on this site to the USS Constitution page for a look at those guys. They are short, light guns with a large bore. They aren't on wheels like regular cannons, but instead on a carriage that allows the guns to slide back to allow for reloading. They are kinda like the shotgun of cannons! Of course, being the master index builder, you have undoubtedly seen these links! I mean we even have a thread that discusses said differences right here in our forums! Aren't we pirate geeks! Anyway, I might consider a couple of carronades on the top deck and a few small caliber long guns up there.

I took a good look at some of the Constitutions pictures. I got some ideas that I will try-out one of these evenings. Interesting to see how the carronades are placed on the deck of the Constitution. I never really paid attention to that.

This ship is of pure beauty, with the colorscheme and the (in my opinion great masts)!

The only thing I would have done a bit different is the captainscabin interior: there is a lot of space there so maybe it's a good idea to divide the space into one large room and two very small cabins (on each side of the ship) for officers/doctor with just a bunk inside and a small door for acces.

Otherwise, fantastic!

*y*

I've got some good pics of the actual carronades on the USS Constitution.

p_checking-out-cannons.jpg_thumb.jpg smf-rn-carronadep4.jpg_thumb.jpg view-aft.jpg_thumb.jpg

(click on thumb for deep link)

I've got a rough version of this carronade on MLCAD, but i'm not too good at MLCAD yet.

Also, I'd just figured out how to get imgages out of MLCAD :-$

ussc.carronade.jpg_thumb.jpg

P

A beautiful ship bonaparte! Very nice colourscheme for the actual ship and i particularly like the officers standing at the back.

Even better pictures than on de Bouwsteen,

Nice ship, nice crew *y* :)

Even better pictures than on de Bouwsteen,

Those are actually identical...

Nice ship, nice crew *y* :)
A beautiful ship bonaparte! Very nice colourscheme for the actual ship and i particularly like the officers standing at the back.

Thanks ;-)

I've got some good pics of the actual carronades on the USS Constitution.

p_checking-out-cannons.jpg_thumb.jpg smf-rn-carronadep4.jpg_thumb.jpg view-aft.jpg_thumb.jpg

(click on thumb for deep link)

I've got a rough version of this carronade on MLCAD, but i'm not too good at MLCAD yet.

Also, I'd just figured out how to get imgages out of MLCAD :-$

ussc.carronade.jpg_thumb.jpg

P

I started on some carronades, but I'm working on a new ship in parallel so I'm a bit slow.

This is my favorite carronade (with a black version of the brick you see in the middle), so I'm planning to use this design.

cannon.jpg_thumb.jpg

This is a beautiful creation, Bonaparte! 8-o

I love the height of the masts, I don't know how historically accurate it is, but it looks great. It seems to me, however, that you're missing a sail on the back mast.

You've done a great job with the color blocking on the side of the ship. It looks very fluid and smooth, as opposed to if the colors were just blocked up and messy. I think that's one of my favorite parts of the ship.

The red floors though, seem a bit like overkill. It's probably too much to go back and do, but I think it be a lot better if the decks and captain's cabin were grey or brown.

As Maedhros stated, I also like the way you've widened the ship, without making it look clumsy or sloppy.

If I'm ever around, I'll make sure to drop by and have a swim in your pool. :-D

Great work!

Edited by bonaparte