The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

4 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

I think the Vikings Set had two advantages. On one side, unlike Pirates, Space and Castle, Lego wasn´t planning to bring it back aside from the one creator set - and the second might be - but that is just a guess - that target might have something to say when they chose which set they are setting for vote and which one gets choosen in the end.

Yeah I really don't think target had anything to do with the vote.  Lego set up the vote and chose what to put out Target just happened to be the store here in the US that it was exclusive to there have been exclusive sets to walmart also in the US.  In other countries that wasn't the case so I doubt Target had any say in what set was produced.  

New photos on the Bricklink Designer Program Series 1, I note. The Mountain Fortress looks even better in these new images, to me. The others slightly less good. I do like the train shed, but it's pricey for what it looks like. Although the angle deceives you for just how large it is, spread over two baseplates. I know that's so it fits a train, but part of me wishes it was a much smaller build for half the price, as I like the look, and don't need the function. The snack shack is great, but $50 seems expensive for something that compares to a $20-$30 LEGO set (yes, with more detail in the base, but that doesn't add a huge amount to it for me).

Designer Program Series 1 [BrickLink]

Decisions, decisions. Not long to make them now.

Series 2 feels like a Buy All (ideally), and Series 3 is pretty hotly contested too! So budgeting for those is also important.

I like that the sets will be shipped just four months after ordering. That's a big improvement.

I love the A-Team's Van. All it needs is a recolour of the cmf s24 Koala keeper's hat for Murdock and a few printed elements. If Lego refuses to make it again I'll probably do it myself.

16 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Yeah I really don't think target had anything to do with the vote.  Lego set up the vote and chose what to put out Target just happened to be the store here in the US that it was exclusive to there have been exclusive sets to walmart also in the US.  In other countries that wasn't the case so I doubt Target had any say in what set was produced.  

LEGO IDEAS - Blog - Target x LEGO Ideas Set Vote! - Now Open

WE'RE RUNNING A VOTE FEATURING THREE PREVIOUS 10K PRODUCT IDEAS THAT DID NOT MAKE IT TO PRODUCTION THE FIRST TIME AROUND! THE CONTENDERS HAVE BEEN CHOSEN IN AN EXCLUSIVE COLLABORATION WITH US RETAILER TARGET. 

16 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

New photos on the Bricklink Designer Program Series 1, I note. The Mountain Fortress looks even better in these new images, to me. The others slightly less good. I do like the train shed, but it's pricey for what it looks like. Although the angle deceives you for just how large it is, spread over two baseplates. I know that's so it fits a train, but part of me wishes it was a much smaller build for half the price, as I like the look, and don't need the function. The snack shack is great, but $50 seems expensive for something that compares to a $20-$30 LEGO set (yes, with more detail in the base, but that doesn't add a huge amount to it for me).

Yup - they updated the images yesterday, and added in the creator biographies and photos (which is a really nice touch, I think). I do wish that they had a few more images, though, so that all of the angles and details can be seen on some of the more complex models. I think a few things have been tweaked here and there for some of the models with the new photos, so I'm guessing that these are the "final" products.

As far as my personal priority list goes, I think it's roughly:

1. General Store. I've always liked the Wild West, and the build seems fair for the price. The only major concern I have will be the stickers: the page lists that there will be four, and I see three places where they will be applied: the large sign above the store, the small one above the front door, and a "keep out" sign on the back (which could be seen in the earlier product images). I just hope that doesn't mean that the large sign turns into a "GRINGOT   TS BANK" type situation.
  2. Mountain Fortress. Lovely design, and probably makes a good companion piece for the Lion Knight's Castle. Still, it's a big chunk of change to spend on one set, especially after I talked myself out of getting the Lion Knight's Castle for $300 during Black Friday. I also got lucky and got the Castle in the Forest, so I might simply be good on big Castle sets... Hard to say.
  3. Snack Shack. I'm with you RichardGoring; the main build itself feels a little bit small. It reminds me of the Retro Food Truck GWP that is currently out, which is 310 pieces and "valued" at about $25. I don't think the baseplate and outside decorations are quite 200 pieces, and that very well could be a part of the atmosphere/adult-ness of the set , but I do think that getting just the Shack for $30 would be a better buy. (I also feel very similarly about Wave 3's Camping Adventure). So, while it is the cheapest set, it could have been even cheaper...
  4. Parisian Street. I'm not a modular guy, so it doesn't appeal to me as much, though I think it's very well designed and has a lot of excellent detail - especially with the "dollhouse" playability. Good set, just not for me.
  5. Old Train Engine Shed. I've never understood the appeal of Lego trains, but I do acknowledge that it is a niche in the Lego fandom. Happy for those excited for it - it just doesn't appeal to me at all.

So, will I actually get anything? Hard to say... I'm 100% getting the Wave 2 Mushroom House (which will probably be $100), I'm tempted by Art of Chocolate in Wave 3 (probably $250), and unless it's a total dud, I'll also want to get the Medieval Town Square at some point ($230 - though that one should be around for a little bit and doesn't have to be a Day 1 purchase). That would be nearly $600 on Lego this year just between those three, and I'm not sure if I can justify many more purchases than that as a college student. I mentioned this elsewhere, but I am tempted to pull a little bit out of savings, get two of a set I like, and flip the second one to bring down my price a bit to help justify the price, but I also don't want to feel like a dirty scalper for doing that... Dunno. I'll have to give it some more thought as well.

Actually, from what I see, LEGO is rejecting all castles, modulars and playsets. We have already a lot of NASA stuff so I don't see a need for another ones. Buildable plants are already available too. Coraline could be chosen, but it's an another huge house so I think, LEGO will prefer to choose something different. 

I'd like to see some projects which will be fitting for my medieval dark fantasy diorama inspired by WoW, which I'm going to start building. And of course, something related to some anime series. They've rejected Naruto, but I've seen great set inspired by Oban Star Racers. Actually, I've even made a YT vid which was supposed to support the Whizzing Arrow 3 submission, but at the current moment, it has only 20 views (3 from my friends) so probably it won't get 10K in time...

TOP 10 LEGO Ideas projects that still have to reach 10k supporters (youtube.com)

This is a bit hypocritical as a big chunk of my modern collection is IP based sets, but I always find the most interesting Ideas sets are the original designs, and the ones based on films/shows/artists are more a popularity contest for the show/artist than displaying a level of interest in the set itself.

Also I wonder if there should be some sort of preference shown towards submissions of actual builds, rather than Studio renders, as anyone can throw together a multi-thousand piece virtual set but an actual build shows more commitment to the process and acts as a proof of concept that the design can be physically built. I know this puts a financial barrier on many submissions as Bricklink/PAB costs add up very quickly, but it might also encourage more interesting smaller builds - or maybe people just like big creations and vote accordingly...

7 hours ago, Biochronicler said:

Actually, from what I see, LEGO is rejecting all castles, modulars and playsets.

They are not rejecting playsets. Many of the successful sets have play features. They have just passed the modular-like Botanical Garden, and have done other buildings that are modular-like scale and style, even if not the exact same footprint as the official ones. It makes sense that they don't pass things that look like their own regular modulars, but they have shown that they will pass sets similar in style but outside of what might be expected in the official range. And they will do castle related sets if they think there is a reason to do one through IDEAS (like the Blacksmith).

4 hours ago, MaximillianRebo said:

Also I wonder if there should be some sort of preference shown towards submissions of actual builds, rather than Studio renders, as anyone can throw together a multi-thousand piece virtual set but an actual build shows more commitment to the process and acts as a proof of concept that the design can be physically built. I know this puts a financial barrier on many submissions as Bricklink/PAB costs add up very quickly, but it might also encourage more interesting smaller builds - or maybe people just like big creations and vote accordingly...

In my view, no. It shouldn't be based on affordability just to enter the competition. It used to be that you could draw a picture to enter! If it had to be physically built, you'd still get the same sorts of sets passing review, just that they would come from a smaller range of designers with bigger budgets (and probably youtube channels) behind them.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:56 AM, MaximillianRebo said:

Aside from the accessibility/affordability issues it introduces, I'm not entirely opposed to this. There are a lot of proposed IDEAS sets nowadays that are massive in size because everything is done digitally now and result in $$$$$ sets if they are selected ( though I do admit it was less of an issue last year since we are seeing more sub $100 sets). I'm sure the Lego designers that are tasked with designing the final product might appreciate it more, since you have to account for physics and Part availability with IRL builds.

I have no problem with digital submissions. But I would like LEGO to start releasing more projects that are actually more than just expensive decorations for the shelf. Most of the Ideas sets are mainly display sets. Usually, if they decide to approve a set that is considered a playset, it is a project referring to series popular in America. In my country, for example, almost no one watches The Office, and no one I know has ever heard of the Seinfeld series, and it is basically only associated with the fact that it was chosen instead of a diorama set that Bionicle fans really wanted. But interestingly, LEGO rejected two projects that would have sold in millions of copies: Ichiraku Ramen Shop (from Naruto) and, something I will never understand- Shrek's Swamp. If any of you clicked on the link to my TOP 10 LEGO Ideas projects, you probably thought that (even if they all get 10k votes) LEGO wouldn't choose any of them. And unfortunately, you're probably right. But I've chosen the most creative ones, which are characterized by the values that LEGO is based on, such as creativity, uniqueness and imagination. In theory, the project I put at the first place has some slight chances. But usually when I think a project is a sure winner, LEGO rejects it, so while such a set of dioramas for role-play sessions is something fresh, especially since LEGO has no answer to Warhammer, D&D or similar role-play board games, then I'm not sure if LEGO would make such a gift for LEGO Castle fans and release it.
Maybe we'll get a Spirited Away set at last...

Its clear that LEGO (at least as of late) is to some extent picking ideas that will draw in fans who aren't specifically LEGO fans.

Things like the BTS set, the Polaroid set, the Saturn V Rocket, the Twilight set, the typewriter, the globe, the piano, the Stratocaster, Home Alone, Hocus Pocus, Van Gogh and others.

On 1/15/2024 at 1:09 AM, Biochronicler said:

. But interestingly, LEGO rejected two projects that would have sold in millions of copies: Ichiraku Ramen Shop (from Naruto) and, something I will never understand- Shrek's Swamp.

Do people forget that LEGO has to be given the approval from the license holders to make these sets? 

We all know Shrek, Taylor Swift, Naruto, Avatar, SpongeBob, etc will sell millions but if LEGO can’t get the licenses then there is no way they can make it into an official set. 

Some of these IPs may in fact be "LEGO can't get the license", some may be "this is too similar to products LEGO already sells" (e.g. Naruto being potentially too similar to Ninjago or the various modular building projects), some may be "this is too similar to products already in the planning stages" (e.g. Concorde projects being rejected because LEGO was doing their own), some may be "LEGO can't do this because it conflicts with something else LEGO have a license for", some may be "LEGO don't think the business case stacks up" (e.g. due to that universe not having had any new content recently or due to recent content not being popular enough or even just "LEGO thinks xyz will sell better than this"), some may be "we can't make this work in LEGO or it would require too many new pieces to be viable" and some may be ":LEGO don't think this fits with the LEGO brand" (e.g. maybe they have decided that the Stargate projects submitted at this point don't fit the brand)

2 hours ago, Lego Tom said:

Oh yes - a Taylor Swift LEGO set!

Pardon me while I clean up the vomit...

WTH?

On 1/15/2024 at 7:09 AM, Biochronicler said:

In my country, for example, almost no one watches The Office, and no one I know has ever heard of the Seinfeld series, and it is basically only associated with the fact that it was chosen instead of a diorama set that Bionicle fans really wanted. 

This isn't a fact. It wasn't like that Bionicle idea would have been made if The Office or Seinfeld wasn't passed. If LEGO thought that Bionicle would have sold well as part of IDEAS then they would have made it, with or without licensed sets being made.

It sounds grim to me too. Yet if they made a $50-100 set, it would probably attract huge numbers of buyers that would not normally buy LEGO. Especially if you could slot your phone in it and play her songs.