Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

I still don't understand why lego insists on releasing a bunch of vehicles in smaller sets but rarely releases any buildings in smaller sets. It used to be that there were a variety of shops and businesses that lego would produce that fit the bill. Well... to be more accurate, Lego does release a decent amount of smaller buildings, the just happen to be half burnt or plastered over with Keep Out signs because they're criminal lairs. I want businesses that allow me to actually build up a working city without having to shell out $80-$100 for them each time. The 7641 City Corner set was a good example of what I'd like to see, but broken up into smaller sets. I really think it's easier to convince kids and parents to buy two sets for $30 than one set for $60 because they can do it at different times.

I'm with you on that. In years yonder we had fantastic sets like the "Snack Bar".

675-1.jpg

Just brilliant!

What do you think, businesscase-wise, about a set with 1000 pc, $100, that would be a sort of cross-over between City and Modulars and work as a good AFOL parts pack too? A 32x32 baseplate, a three-storey modern building that is easy to build and doesn't have that many architectural details but would come in a rare color, say cool yellow for instance.

The ground floor would use four of those big windows that the 60026 Pizzeria has and it would be a car showroom, with two cars included. The second floor would be some other business (I wonder what would interest boys apart from pizza places and bike shops, any idea?) and the third floor would house an apartment.

I believe all this is doable with ~1000 pieces. I've tried it with LDD and it works out allright.

If the shops are of interest to boys, which I believe a car showroom would be (plus you get two vehicles, as well!), and the price is not too high, then this should attract the City target group. If the building sits on a baseplate with a sidewalk like the modulars and meets the size & scale requirements of a modular, it should be of interest to Modular collectors. A Modular city with historical buildings would be more realistic if some of the buildings were modern, I think. And a modern building is usually not as detailed -> lower price count. And if the building uses rare colors, then the set would be of interest to AFOLs as a parts pack.

I'm with you on that. In years yonder we had fantastic sets like the "Snack Bar".

I totally agree.....the snack bar, I forgot when I was young (a very long time ago before CDs and PCs) this was part of my small Lego town collection.....ah, memories. :sweet:

Pekko on Cuusoo tried and sadly failed at getting the mini shops off the ground.....still obtaining 10K.....not based on rapid fandom voting could mean that city designers might take a look at it and maybe we'll finally get some shops, etc., for the crooks to rob and the fire fighters to put out fires...or rescue crooks trapped in AC vents ! :laugh:

Thanks for your feedback on my Supermarket idea guys! :grin: It would feature a pop-out window mechanism similar to that which is seen within the Super Heroes Malibu Mansion set from Iron Man 3! :classic:

Some more ideas:

Lego City Office Block Fire

1x 2-Storey, 36 by 36 Office Block Building with various rooms, and aesthetic details such as rooftop skylight access, opening windows, and flick-open flame parts.

1x Lego City Fire Truck with extendable Ladders and Hose.

1x 2-Seater Lego City Fire Helicopter with Hose

2x Firemen, 1x Pilot, 3x Office Workers

" Quick, use the firetruck to put out the fire in this City Office Block and land the Helicopter on the rooftop to save the manager. Save the day with Lego Fire Brigade."

Lego City Warehouse Hideout

1x 36 by 36 warehouse with mini-office, opening doors, and various aesthetic details such as Skylights.

1x Lego City Black Van with Space for Two Minifigs.

1x SWAT 4x4 with Two Seats and Side-Moutned Poles and Footholds similar to armoured truck in Museum.

2x Robbers, 1x Tactical Cop with Black Cap, 2x Tactical Cops with Riot Helmets.

" Quick, storm the Warehouse and chase after the Robbers as they escape in their new van!"

Thanks for your feedback on my Supermarket idea guys! :grin: It would feature a pop-out window mechanism similar to that which is seen within the Super Heroes Malibu Mansion set from Iron Man 3! :classic:

Actually a window that fall in or out would be good.....there have been quite a few cars driven through shop windows......some by accident, others not so ! :devil:

I think this one hasn't been mentioned before:

I'd like to get a container truck like the 2014 Technic one:

http://www.flickr.co...Z-hBvQHj-hBnDgN

675-1.jpg

Just brilliant!

I completely agree with you, jfbat!

Although I really like the pizzerias from the City Corner and the City Square, I miss a hamburger stall or a snack bar for my city.

What do you think, businesscase-wise, about a set with 1000 pc, $100, that would be a sort of cross-over between City and Modulars and work as a good AFOL parts pack too? A 32x32 baseplate, a three-storey modern building that is easy to build and doesn't have that many architectural details but would come in a rare color, say cool yellow for instance.

Imo that would be a great idea, finnbricker!

And I even think that a set like this would attract the interest of JFOLs as well as AFOLs. So well, let's see.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

lego should release the building from the background of the catalogues and commercials as sets, i would really buy those

I really like the Great Vehicles TLG has been releasing in the last year. And so I even hope that TLG will continue with releasing more sets of this line in the future.

So here are some new ideas for the Great Vehicles theme I'd really like to get:

10-Euros-category (small sets):

Skier's Car

black, 4-wide car with car doors

accessory: white roof coffin, 2 skis, 2 ski sticks, helmet with snow gloves

minfigure: male skier

Gardener's Pick-Up

red, 4-wide pick-up with car doors and a hatch behind the 4x4 loading platform

accessory: pushcart, flowers, shovel, garden gnome microfigure

minifigure: female gardener

Cycler's Car

green, 4-wide car with car doors

accessory: yellow bicycle, cycle helmet, banana

minifigures: female cycler

Private Helicopter

yellow, small helicopter with winch

accessory: 4x4 palette, 2 barrels

minifigure: male pilot

Surfer's Car

red, 4-wide car with car doors

accessory: surfboard with sail, life jacket, mobile phone

minifigure: male surfer

Small Road Sweeper

orange, 4-wide road sweepr in "Multicar" syte with car doors

accessory: shovel, brush

minifigure: female street sweaper

20-Euros-category (medium-sized sets):

Mountain Rescue Service ATV With Snowmobile

white-blue-red, 6-wide atv with car doors and boot lid

trailer with hatch, red snowmobile fitting two minifigures

accessory: ice pick, rope, rucksack, wireless translitting set, 2 snow shoes / skis, first-aid suitcase

minifigures: female moutain rescuer, male mountain rescuer

Baker's Car

tan-white, 6-wide van with car doors, door in the back and big hatch on the side (to sell goods), inside with cashpoint and counter

accessory: 2 2x2x2 boxes, 2 pretzels, croissant, 2 baguettes, 2 cookies, several brick-built cakes and breads

minifigures: female seller, girl

Community Works Van

orange, 6-wide van with car doors and open loading platform with hatch

small fountain, tree

accessory: pushcart, dustbin, shovel, brush, toy boat

minifigures: male worker, girl

Familiy Van

dark brown, 6-wide van (fitting 3 minifigures) with car doors and boot lid

accessory: ice-cream, baby buggy, baby daughter microfigure

minifigures: mum, dad, son

Carpenters' Van

black, 6-wide car with car doors and elevated boot with two doors in the back

accessory: workbench, 2 2x3x3 cupboards, tools, saw, buzz saw, wood pieces

minifigures: male carpenter, female apprentice

Glazier's Truck

blue, 6-wide truck with car doors and open loading platform with hatch

accessory: tablet computer, framework, different types and sizes of windows

minifigure: male glazier

30-Euros-category (big sets):

Furniture Truck

tan, 6-wide truck with car doors, closed loading platform and a hydraulic platform in the back (to elevate the furniture inside the truck)

accessory: couch, armchair, table, standard-lamp, barrow, 2 3x3x2 boxes, dishes

minifigures: female furniture remover, male furniture remover

Milk Truck

(not a new idea, but with new additional stuff included)

white, 6-wide milk truck with car doors

white, round, high milk tank with hardware at its bottom

white milking parlor

accessory: bucket, cow

minifigures: female farmer, male truck driver

Mobile Stage

black-pearl gold, 6-wide semitrailer with car doors

black-pearl gold, closed 6/8-wide trailer with door in the back and big hatch on the side (to open the stage)

accessory: 2 loud speakers, 2 colorful floodlights with pillars, drumset, e-guitar, 2 microphones with pillars

minifigures: male drummer, female e-guitar player

What do you think?

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I for one would love to see more trucks with interesting loads on the back. The auto transporter is great but a truck with something interesting or not seen before (maybe a livestock truck with some cows or goats or sheep on the back).

I would also love to see a bunch more of the really cheap sets such as 3177 and 8402 but which don't have an emergency services/rescue/etc theme.

Just cars one can buy to populate a city but which look more like the everyday cars you find on the road these days (the yellow car from the 7993 Service Station is an example of the sort of car I am talking about)

More tradespeople (plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc) and the vehicles they use would be nice. (we did get a plumbers van but its in another theme so it doesn't count :)

Edited by jonwil

I agree with the comments above - a selection of smaller, affordable sets would be ideal as I often pass on sets which are too expensive but would buy one part in particular.

A bus would be great (or something like the white and lime green coach from the Public Transport set a few years back).

Some normal cars would also be appreciated in individual sets with a range new civilian minifigures (more children and elderly people.

I like the winter village sets (although wish they would allow more unique parts to be made for these sets - the brick built instruments for example). It would be good to have a summer equivalent similar to Paradisa but not for girls (more summer weather clothing, etc).

One small vehicle I'd like to see is a tuk tuk like those in Bangkok and other Asian cities, which led me to start thinking about more 'Around The World' sets - perhaps a Venetian Gondola, a New York Taxi, an African Safari 4x4 (all minifig scale).

I also wish there were more 'filler' sets for cities which don't include any buildings but would include bushes, plants, flowers, trees, etc plus statues, lamp posts, traffic lights and a decent number of minifigs.

Edited by lifeinplastic

Baker's Car or Snack Car would more likely happen in Friends since they've done a bakery store. What City could possibly make might be a sandwich/lunch-related business that looks like a need of busy City life. The IceCream Truck is obviously a special case under the name of TLM. Well, there is a stall in the upcoming 60050.

regarding Friends and it's stereotypical girlie pinkness .. but actually City is much worse. There's some pretty cool sets in the Friends theme .. hell, they even got a place to shit .. but City? No, that's a place filled with robbers and fire

Uh, Friends have much more creative ideas and they're definitely not full of pink. I'm not glad to hear this.

Edited by Dorayaki

Baker's Car or Snack Car would more likely happen in Friends since they've done a bakery store. What City could possibly make might be a sandwich/lunch-related business that looks like a need of busy City life. The IceCream Truck is obviously a special case under the name of TLM. Well, there is a stall in the upcoming 60050.

Uh, Friends have much more creative ideas and they're definitely not full of pink. I'm not glad to hear this.

I also disagree that Friends is stupid, some of the sets can be great parts packs even for those who build normal City.

Three new ideas:

Teens' Go-Cart Race (30 Euros)

a green-red-white (Octan) go-cart, a lime-green go-cart and a light blue go-cart

accessory: flags, barriers, traffic lights, red helmet, black helmet, blue helmet

minifigures: two boys and a girl

Jungle Rafting (20 Euros)

a boat, a small rock with plants

accessory: three paddles, camera, binoculars, ice-cream, crocodile

minifigures: mum, dad, son

Jungle Expedition Car (10 Euros)

dark-red jeep with cable winch and boot with boot lid

accessory: shovel, pick-axe, camcorder, backpack, monkey

minifigure: adventurer

Good ideas. Needs a double decker bus adding to the last category!

The only thing is that I fear that a double decker bus would be much to tall - esp. when you put it in front of one of the official City buildings.

I for one would love to see more trucks with interesting loads on the back. The auto transporter is great but a truck with something interesting or not seen before (maybe a livestock truck with some cows or goats or sheep on the back).

I would also love to see a bunch more of the really cheap sets such as 3177 and 8402 but which don't have an emergency services/rescue/etc theme.

Just cars one can buy to populate a city but which look more like the everyday cars you find on the road these days (the yellow car from the 7993 Service Station is an example of the sort of car I am talking about)

More tradespeople (plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc) and the vehicles they use would be nice. (we did get a plumbers van but its in another theme so it doesn't count :)

I completey agree with you, jonwil!

Some normal cars would also be appreciated in individual sets with a range new civilian minifigures (more children and elderly people.

[...]

One small vehicle I'd like to see is a tuk tuk like those in Bangkok and other Asian cities, which led me to start thinking about more 'Around The World' sets - perhaps a Venetian Gondola, a New York Taxi, an African Safari 4x4 (all minifig scale).

[...]

I also wish there were more 'filler' sets for cities which don't include any buildings but would include bushes, plants, flowers, trees, etc plus statues, lamp posts, traffic lights and a decent number of minifigs.

Complete agreement here, too!

Respective a minifigure pack: A set like this would only make sense if it included minifigures which don't appear in the regular released sets.

I remember that there was a City minifigure pack released back in 2009. Unluckily firstly TLG did include a police officer (of which we get enough in the regular police sets), secondly there were only minifigures included which we did see in the regular sets, too, and thirdly that has been the only set in the last two decades of this sort.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Simple, we need more buildings to go with these vehicles.......unless we must city-ify Friend's sets are we ? :sceptic:

I would appreciate some "normal" cars with a roof. I know it's always sunny in Lego city, but come on, even new cars are being delivered with the top down these days (not to mention the fact that a car wit a roof would not fit on the car transporter - I tried...)

Simple, we need more buildings to go with these vehicles.......unless we must city-ify Friend's sets are we ? :sceptic:

Yair, my kids get super-excited about buildings. Absolutely they'd always choose a house or a shop over (yet another) police helicopter, fire truck, cargo lorry, bus, forklift or monster truck.

Oh wait, no they don't. Every time, they choose the vehicles. Can't help you with this. Have you heard that Lego sell Creator and modular buildings? Or gosh, you can even build your own (I think I've seen some nice things you built actually). ;)

Also buses, my kids find buses surprisingly interesting. Dunno why. I hate buses. But when I was a kid I used to try and build a 6 or 8 wide bus quite often. Kind of harder in 1989, fewer nice parts to use.

Edited by andythenorth

I really think a bus in the style of the yellow one from the City Corner set would sell very well as a stand-alone set at the same price point as the auto transporter and that airport fire truck.

Nah, a set that size should not have to cost more than the normal Great Vehicles sets, like the camper van. It's mainly "glass" panels. Maybe with a decent sized bus stop and 3-4 passengers though. But it would be nice, I've already been looking into building one from scratch to complement the one I already have.

Stlll a bit miffed I didn't pick up City Corner (with the yellow bus) form that department store in Denmark last summer, where they sold it for about 35 euro's...

Edited by jfbat

It seems we all agree, more buildings......with all the police and fire services available you would think Lego would release sets for them to protect right ?

Now I have a new set idea.....it fits in the forest police station.......

GENERAL STORE - built on a 16x16 plate this structure contains a post office & checkout, ATM, bins of fruit & veg, a fridge with milk & cheese, a rack with shovels and brooms out the front and of course a fuel pump and sign with light on it......oh, yeah add a mail box to post letters in. Of course it would need a typical 4 wide car to go with it. Number of minifigs - 3 might do including two female figures.....yes, two.....and why not ? :wink:

Here is mine:

Race Track

£70 $100

7 minifigures 2 reporters, 2 racers, 3 citizens.

2 race cars like the one from this year in black lime and red white.

2 trucks in contrast with the corresponding colours.

Bronze, sliver and gold trophies

The stadium would be big with 5 seat levels, space in the middle for campers, big 4 lane banked track. It would have a tower for the reporters in the middle 4 high. It would also have a starting line and platform for the flag and the pit area with 5 pits which the tower spouts from. Also a truck area for 5.

That would be more than 100 bucks US I think.......I doubt that would ever be made.....the only true high ticket city sets are usually cargo train sets.

My biggest wish for a great vehicle for next season is a decent size bus, with a small shelter and 3 minifigs, for example a City size version of Duplo 5636. Please, Lego people, how hard can it be ??????