Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

'prateek' is right, maybe this one should be locked/merged with the other already up and running topic.

Keep on working on those wish lists ! :wink:

I searched for this thread but couldn't find it,

but it has been successfull in predicting things such as 'city corner' so I like it.

I wish for TLG to focus more on expansion and combinations than big closed sets.

Let the ambulance come with the emergency drive-in which fits with the hospital and let the pediatrist room be a impulse set...

OK I guess the policecar needs a policecar and a policecar to go with the police truck,

but the bank is a good way to link the police theme to the otherwize unrelated city

so I also hope that some licenced themes brings buildings that connects to standard city in scale.

Combinations could also go within sets to buy two of the same to build alternative models (to box frontsides) or build a mall since you don't know exactly what the collectible shop will sell and

they fit together anyway. Or just collectible colors and slight variations of the standard car pack.

With Lego going back to its roots regarding civilian city sets, just wondering what the community here would think about set ideas like these.

School House

[...]

Fast Food Takeaway

[...]

Mall

I completely agree with you in this ideas, Kaptin_BarfBeerd! :thumbup:

A school house, a fast food restaurant and a mall would be completely amazing! :oh:

Fastfood and fastfood restaurants play a big role in the life of today's children (at least here in Middle Europe and in North America). So a fastfood restaurant - at the best with a kitchen, a "dining room", a small terrace with playground outside and a takeaway with a civilian car and a fastfood delivery car - would surely sell very well.

A school house would supposably be not that appealing to TFOLs - since they normally don't like school. But JFOLs would surely like it (otherwise the Playmobil school sets wouldn't sell that well) and a lot of AFOLs would surely like to get one in order to expand the civilian life and civilian houses in their Lego Cities. TLG could even spice the school house up with adding a school bus, a school yard and a sports hall. A school could either be one big set or even a whole new theme (like Playmobil did).

A mall would surely be a mainly AFOL oriented and supposably exclusive set since - if done with a nice architecture, many glas, a decent interior and many minifigs and accessory - it would be in a 100-150 Euros price range. But since we haven't had many civlian buildings and shops before (and a mall not anyway), I bet that it would sell very well.

If TLG does release some or all of these three sets in the future, I hope that they will not be CC-sytled (meaning I hope that they will have open backwalls) - otherwise I wouldn't be interested in them.

I'm already waiting since years for a school (theme), a mall and a fastfood restaurant - let's hope that TLG will offer these sets to us in the next years! If so, I for sure would buy them.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Watching the tv news reports on the Queensland floods makes me think Lego have missed a police set......Police Rescue !

A 4x4 van with rescue equipment and towing a small rescue boat.....why do the cops just chase bad guys (and girls) they also assist in rescues either from flood waters or the side of a cliff ?

What do you think ?

Footnote - sadly the death toll current stands at 8 after yesterdays flash flood tidal wave in the city of Toowoomba....still 72 missing feared dead :sadnew: . Worse is yet to come as Brisbane's low lying areas come under attack.

It's not fair, floods in Qld and fires in WA.....what next ? :cry_sad:

Prison:

I'm sure everyone knows TLC loves to go overboard on their fire and police themes, but I'm sure this is one building we havent seen and probably should. The police stations have holding cells but I don't ever recall seeing a prison in Lego catalogs. With the new police sets (and more criminal minifigs and inadequate cells), a prison seems to be a much needed addition to a Lego city.

I love the idea of a LEGO Prison since every 2011 Police set comes with a criminal.

Prison. Yes. I'd love one. Re-using the prisoner in orange overalls from the world city police station. Could be a great source of gnarly rough and tough looking face prints. As well as the cells it could also include a governors office and canteen. exercise yard and would have to have watchtowers and really imposing front gates.

A prison is pretty much a fortress or modern castle. If the prison had a design based on a castle, as though the castle had been re-purposed at some point it would lend a sense of history to the cityscape it belonged to. I've often thought the Lego city could do with some castle wall ruins or 'leftover' towers incorporated into buildings along the lines of classic sets 1589 and 1592. Though obviously grey walls not yellow.

I just think a bit of structural antiquity would add something to what is mostly a modern city by design. I can't think of many cities that don't have buildings of varying age and style. Modular sets have that element in a way but regular sets don't seem to.

Right. An oil rig/platform would have a lot of playability with the helicopter and lifeboats, which is why I'm surprised that it hasn't been made before. I'd be interested to see how Lego made the drill string mechanism, as it is a bit complex. It would be cool if it were motorized too, but I could see how that wouldn't make much sense too.

I would love an oil rig as we need more sea themed sets (including civilian - cruise ship/ferry anyone?)

Huw mentioned an oil rig in this article but someone said the it wouldn't fit in with TLGs 'Green' ethics. I would still like one though. I gave up MOCing one ages ago - too hard :-)

To turn the conversation down a new avenue...

In light of the success and pending re-release of the Winter Toy Shop, I'd like to propose that TLG creates an entire subtheme of...

Holiday!!!

I've always thought this is lightning just waiting to strike, and the possibilities are endless. Some ideas:

1. First and foremost, the definitive Santa set complete with a dedicated reindeer mold (something that can accomodate a 1x1 round trans red for Rudolph's nose of course). Santa, the full team of deer, the sled, and whole slew of presents in the back. What kid-- no, what person-- wouldn't pay up for this????

2. The Christmas Tree lot-- lots of trees, lots of 'lights' on strings, perhaps a family loading their tree onto the roof with the generous salesman's help.

3. Santa in the Park-- a fair size 'outdoor' set complete with the community Christmas tree and a Santa's workshop structure where the kids are standing in line to talk to Santa. Go tell him you want that BB gun!

4. Holiday home-- a reasonable minifig-sized house all decked out in its holiday best. Kids are outside making a snowman, mom is inside baking her cookies, and of course we would have to throw in Dad hanging the lights on a ladder.

5. We've seen the carolers, but I'm sure we could all use a few more in a small set a la City Minifigs... They could also do holiday shoppers, etc.

6. How about the sledding hill-- lots of kids on old school wooden sleds, with maybe a skier or Gravity-Games era snowboarder thrown in for good measure.

6. Finally, the home run in the entire line would have to be The North Pole!!! Santa's home, complete with the workshop, the stalls for the reindeer, and good ol' Ms. Claus tidying up the place. And of course, it would have to include (Castle fans may now begin drooling) ELVES! Perhaps just a face mold, but maybe something more for the ears. And this set could surely invite additional add-ons such as Santa's runway, elves at work, etc. etc.

I'd REALLY REALLY REALLY like to add the idea of an old snowy stone church and/or nativity set, but sadly I admit it's a bit of a gamble for a corporation to go the religious route (although I know my brother's kids have a Fisher Price nativity set, BTW). Either set would be great and add so much to a full town display.

The other big hurdle would be the marketing-- how do you sell an entire line that is so focused on a single time of the year. Perhaps their best business plan would be to sell one or two yearly in the fourth quarter when you know it's so much easier to sell-- I just can't see them selling Santa's Sled in late April, but if it's released for a limited time after Halloween the demand would be extreme. Perhaps selling it periodically as a line could turn this into a collectible situation like the modular buildings. It could be marketed like those porcelain Christmas village lines carried in all the craft shops-- except infinitely better!!!

Thoughts?

A new set every year would be great. I wrote to Consumer Services (you actually get a real person through the snail mail, not canned responses) and they said their policy is not to include war, religion, politics......... So a Church would be way out of it. You might just get away with a Nativity if you called it a School Play :-)

Edited by RubeusHagrid

I would hope for late 2011 or 2012 LEGO does these sets:

Service/Gas Station, we need a new one badly the last one form 07 is around $80 new at Bricklink! I never was able to find it in stores because it was a TRU exclusive. :hmpf:

Postal Office, again this is at the top of the list aswell, TLG missed the boat when they made the Postal/Cargo sets back in 08, we need a proper one, and would be logical since they made the Bank this year after some 5-10 years hiatus.

Possibly a post office could be done in a City Corner version 2 with a grocery or cafe and hotel and misc vehicles.

A zoo would also be great, one large zoo with enclosures and then you can purchase separately

Main Zoo $50-100

Zoo entrance, shops, 3-4 enclosures, zoo jeep/hummer/land rover with feeder trailer or animal transport trailer, zoo truck

Elephant Exhibit, large enclosure with modular fencing, 1-2 elephants, baseplate yes and misc plants, zebras (horse/ black/white stripe)

New lion or tiger mold for another exhibit. Loads of other possible new animal molds.

Additional zoo add ons misc animal enclosures $10-30

Misc animals, from past or new molds

Edited by Macoco

Well time for a few more ideas :classic:

Beverage Truck: $9.99-$19.99 100+ parts

Includes Beverage Truck 6 wide. Minifigs are the driver. Beverages include trans black cones (Pepsi/Coca-Cola). Also maybe a coca-cola promotional crate again? Or this truck could also be done co-branded (Like Maersk/Shell/Coca-Cola etc)

Think this: (Inspiration: set 6500)

soda.png

Now for a subtheme idea, possibly a theme park sub theme, based off LEGOLAND, (they did a LEGO Truck etc)

LEGOLAND: $100+ 1000+ Parts

For this set it does not have to be crammed into one set, since it is a sub theme but it would consist of: Park Entrance, ticket office(s) (at least 2), small restaurant/shop, for a ride it could be a roller coaster based off one of the real ones. Smaller rides etc. Some add ons could be the Driving School, Boating School etc.

Edited by Macoco

I was only thinking about this subject this morning, a fruit'n'veg shop, a hardware store and a bakery - all on 8x16 base plates and they interlock with techpins.

Keep on comming up with ideas ! :grin:

Millionaire's luxury yacht.

Shorter in length han the current police boat but longer than the new fishing boat. White hull, dark orange deck, dropped stern with jet-ski dock, twin level cabin.

Accessories like life preserver jackets, trans green bottle and trans clear rounded goblets, new fruits like pineapple and bunch of grapes, orange and lemon. Female minifig sun hat and Male minifig captains hat.

Silver fox millionaire with blazer print torso and cravat, white legs and grey hair. Younger female minifig in floral 'off-the-shoulder' dress.

Comes with white jet-ski and white rubber dinghy with outboard motor.

You are right it would tie in with air taxi with limo we had last year, the guy would own the row of shops....the fruit'n'veg, hardware and bakery among others ! :wink:

Possibly a post office could be done in a City Corner version 2 with a grocery or cafe and hotel and misc vehicles.

I would love that. Maybe the PO could be the same as the Bank with red instead of Dark blue, and it should come with a van that you can put something larger than a 2x2 brick in.

I would love that. Maybe the PO could be the same as the Bank with red instead of Dark blue, and it should come with a van that you can put something larger than a 2x2 brick in.

Very true, a post office like that would be good....already tried scratch-building one three months ago. Anyway, a fresh angle a simple combination, post office, service station, grocery and hardware store....the humble GENERAL STORE - on a 32x16 base plate would work and would fit easy with the newer train station which seemed more for a town than a city also the harbour components seem more town-like than for a city ! :wink:

The sets id like to see in 2012

1 Post Office

2 City Hall Modular Building with Courtroom with a Judge.

3 As ive mentioned before id love a zoo theme

4 Yacht

5 SuperMarket

Edited by jth781

I don't know about the rest of you, but my City badly needs some healthcare and a system to send/recieve snail-mail and parcels! I would love TLG to produce a Hospital and a Post Office. I think that a Hospital would look fine in the grandeur of a modular-type building, but I think the best-looking Hospital was 6380. Maybe this could be updated? A Post Office would also look fantastic as a modular, but I'd be just as happy having a "City" styled Post Office, as long as there was some parking for 7733 and 7731 to offload / onload parcels and mail. This building could also bring back the mail sidecar from the 80's to deliver the mail! How cool would that be?!

I don't know about the rest of you, but my City badly needs some healthcare and a system to send/recieve snail-mail and parcels! I would love TLG to produce a Hospital and a Post Office. I think that a Hospital would look fine in the grandeur of a modular-type building, but I think the best-looking Hospital was 6380. Maybe this could be updated? A Post Office would also look fantastic as a modular, but I'd be just as happy having a "City" styled Post Office, as long as there was some parking for 7733 and 7731 to offload / onload parcels and mail. This building could also bring back the mail sidecar from the 80's to deliver the mail! How cool would that be?!

You do know about the rest of us, I for one have already mentioned a hospital and a post office default_laugh_new.gif

There is a rumour we might be getting Hospital and Construction next January, but no word on Summer...

I love all of these nice ideas. Though: Will there be a fans choice set this year?

I saw one last year the 8404 I believe. :classic:

There was the two that didn't make it though.....dam, I really wanted a truck stop.

In fact we are over due for such a set, one servo vs two police/fire stations - oh, well ! :laugh:

I haven't heard anything about another fans choice set.....might just ring TRU and ask ? :wink:

Donut Shop! :grin: $20+ 200+ parts

Donut shop, delivery truck, baker, 1-2 customers, coffee machine/pink donut box/ etc

There was the two that didn't make it though.....dam, I really wanted a truck stop.

In fact we are over due for such a set, one servo vs two police/fire stations - oh, well ! :laugh:

I haven't heard anything about another fans choice set.....might just ring TRU and ask ? :wink:

actually there was three that didn't make it, the one we got wasn't the Monorail everyone was wanting/expecting :grin: