The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Hi all,

I figured that instead of hijacking everyone's threads with similar questions about modulars, to just create one thread where people can ask questions and the like. This way we are not junking up specific topics with questions about multiple modulars.

I look forward to the discussion with everyone! :classic:

-------------------------

:-: For Reference :-:

We have had the following:

• Cafe Corner (CC)
  • Market Street (MS)
  • Green Grocer (GG)
  • Fire Brigade (FB)
  • Grand Emporium (GE)
  • Pet Shop (PS)
  • Town Hall (TH)
  • Palace Cinema (PC)
  • Parisian Restaurant (PR)
  • Detectives Office (DO)
  • Brick Bank (BB)
  • Assembly Square (AS)
  • Downtown Diner (DD)
  • Corner Garage (CG)
  • Bookshop (BS)
  • Police Station (PS)
  • Boutique Hotel (BH)
  • Jazz Club (JC)
  • Natural History Museum (NHM)

The unique business's that have come out of those modulars are:

• Apartment (MS)
  • Apartment (GG)
  • Apartment (PR)
  • Apartment (DO)
  • Apartment (AS)
  • Apartment (CG)
  • Apartment (PS)
  • Art Gallery (BH)
  • Art Studio (PR)
  • Bakery (MS)
  • Bakery (AS)
  • Bank (BB)
  • Barbershop (DO)
  • Book Store (BS)
  • Cafe (CC)
  • Cafe (AS)
  • Dance Studio (AS)
  • Dentist (AS)
  • Department Store (GE)
  • Detectives Office (DO)
  • Diner (DD)
  • Doughnut Shop (PS)
  • Fire House (FB)
  • Flower Shop (AS)
  • Garage (CG)
  • Gas Station (CG)
  • Grocery Store (GG)
  • Gym (DD)
  • Hotel (CC)
  • Hotel (BH)
  • Jazz Club (JC)
  • Laundromat (BB)
  • Movie Theater (PC)
  • Music Store (AS)
  • Natural History Museum (NHM)
  • Pet Store (PS)
  • Photo Studio (AS)
  • Pizzeria (JC)
  • Police Station (PS)
  • Pool Hall (DO)
  • Recording Studio (DD)
  • Restaurant (PR)
  • Tailors Workshop (JC)
  • Town Hall (TH)
  • Town House (PS)
  • Town House (BS)
  • Veterinarian (CG)
Edited by The Jersey Brick Guy
Updating with 2024 Modular

The part call out in step 6 is for two Black 1 x 1 plates and one black 1 x 1 tile....

And yes the 1 x 1 tiles in the shop are black! :classic:

Good luck with the build, it's a fantastic build the Green Grocer!!! :wub:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now my question is for anyone who has the Town Hall........ Is the Town Hall a worthwhile Modular to buy? I left it to last on my list because I have my doubts over it. It seems like such a large building and doesn't seem to fit well with the others. Not to mention I already have the Town Plan Town Hall in my city. Any thoughts would be appreciated :classic:

The Town Hall is my favourite behind GE. Love the pit at the bottom for conferences, the office and the conference room. The little balcony is a great place for your favourite minifig to stand and survey the town. And the fact it is slightly larger than the others makes it stand out and appear dominant, just a Town Hall should. I have the Pet Shop/Apartment either side of it to make it stand out just that bit more.

It is most defenetly worth to buy this set. You will be having a few hours of building pleasure with is. The colors are awsome and it realy stands out in any town. If you gan spare the money, GO BUY IT! (or perhaps someday you will be sorry)

Ok, it seems I have to buy it haha, I don't want to be sorry for not buying one day as you suggest dutch guy... I was hoping to save my pennies, but I will look for a good deal on it! Thanks for your thoughts :classic:

Well, you already know my history on these (that would be chasing retired sets at high prices). Since you obviously have a strong interest in the modular buildings, you don't want to let one get retired (not that this one will be anytime soon, but just saying). Secondly, you want a complete set. If you buy it used or bricklink it at a later date, you won't have the original box (in many cases). This is an expensive modular, but it has the value in it to support the $199 US price. I think it is one of the best values of all the Lego products that I've bought. It is larger than the other buildings, but how many streets do you walk down where there aren't buildings of different sizes? The completed building is very detailed and very impressive. Modulars really hit their stride after MS. I think that town hall, given its size and interior detail, may be the best one. At the local Lego store, they have the town hall on display with PS. They split the two components of the pet shop and put the residential part of PS on one side of town hall and the Pet Shop on the other side.

Yep, go ahead and buy it. You won't have any regrets.

Edited by TomLego

I recently built the Town Hall and I really liked the build and the architecture of the building itself. It is indeed much larger than the other modulars, but it can be used in other ways than just the street row. It can be a great standalone building with trees surrounding it, or you could MOC some larger modulars as neighbours. If it wasn't for the looks of it, I'd suggest buying it too, as you get a large amount of pieces and especially in some handy and beautiful colours.

The part call out in step 6 is for two Black 1 x 1 plates and one black 1 x 1 tile....

And yes the 1 x 1 tiles in the shop are black! :classic:

Good luck with the build, it's a fantastic build the Green Grocer!!! :wub:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now my question is for anyone who has the Town Hall........ Is the Town Hall a worthwhile Modular to buy? I left it to last on my list because I have my doubts over it. It seems like such a large building and doesn't seem to fit well with the others. Not to mention I already have the Town Plan Town Hall in my city. Any thoughts would be appreciated :classic:

Thank's for the response. I thought they were black, but wanted to be sure. My eyes were not having it at 12:00am, and for some reason the colors tend to apprear similar on both my Macbook Pro and iPad2. As far as the Town Hall goes, you gotta get it. It's a wonderful build, and like others have said, it really stands above all the other modulars in town. I was able to get mine for $170.00 on Amazon this past January/February. So it does go on sale, you just need to be patient about it.

Thanks for the answers :classic: It is very clear I need to buy TH haha

Unfortunately Amazon does not ship these large products to Australia, but I have found a pretty good deal for AU$250 (Australian RRP is AU$299) on a local website here, so I'm gonna go for that one I think :classic: After just finishing the Palace Cinema, I need a good build to meet the standard of that build :classic:

Thanks again all :laugh:

Another question, as I honestly can't tell the difference. On Step 18, the Light Bluish Gray Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Headlight that's connected to another Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Headlight. Is that one Reddish Brown?

A heads up to everyone, with the news of the new 1 x 8 x 2 Dark Blue Arches, the prices seem to have dropped. I was able to just get mine for $6.50 each on Bricklink. The store I got them from has over 200 of them in stock. At those prices, who knows how long they are going to last.

Happy hunting!

Edited by The Jersey Brick Guy

Another question, as I honestly can't tell the difference. On Step 18, the Light Bluish Gray Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Headlight that's connected to another Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Headlight. Is that one Reddish Brown?

Yeah those are reddish brown :classic:

A heads up to everyone, with the news of the new 1 x 8 x 2 Dark Blue Arches, the prices seem to have dropped. I was able to just get mine for $6.50 each on Bricklink. The store I got them from has over 200 of them in stock. At those prices, who knows how long they are going to last. Happy hunting!

I wonder whether these items will come down even further when the new winter town set comes out.... They've already dropped and the set isn't even released yet, so surely once they become more readily available they will drop again.....???

Glad to see the support for Town Hall! It is a fun build with wonderful colors and design. I will be picking up a spare one when It goes on sale. The modulars are an outstanding collection of real life buildings!

It is interesting seeing the questions about part colors shown in the instruction books of some sets. The grays and blacks and transparent pieces give me the most trouble even when my laptop is open to brickset instructions. The end result is that I run out of the right color of parts early in some builds having to dismantle a part of the set already built. Aargh! Maybe they could place stars on transparent parts shown in the directions so I don't spend so much time searching for the wrong part among the hundreds nestled in my long cake pan where I pour the bags coming out of a new set box. Does anyone else have trouble identifying transparent parts in new set directions?

Does anyone else have trouble identifying transparent parts in new set directions?

Definitely, especially 1x1 round plates in transparent colours and the dark bluish grey versus black. I just thought that was old age starting to show ... glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I've had the issue of identifying the color of the pieces with the physical directions, looking at them on my mac and also on my PC.

I have also had the issue of using the wrong color to find out that it was my fault and that a piece was not missing. All these new colors tend to run on each other.

Yes, I didn't really need my glasses until I started sorting through these 2000+ piece modular building sets. 'Why do I have two extra dark gray pieces and am missing two of the same size pieces in black?'

Does anyone else have trouble identifying transparent parts in new set directions?

Sure do! I think my eyesight is failing at a rate inversely proportional to the amount of Modulars I'm building....

I thought they started to outline the pieces needed so you could tell the colors better? There definitely are times when the black and the DBG look similar, but if you think about it, whenever you see DBG and it looks black, just assume it is DBG because the black pieces look even darker in the instructions. Everytime I think it is black, I look for another black piece on the instruction to compare against.

I really like this other website for instructions. It is just MOCs that people have build and made instructions for, but it grays out the entire build other than the new pieces, so you can more easily identify which pieces are needed and where they go. The colors really pop against an all gray backdrop.

And I'm hoping those arches drop in price. I originally was going to mod my version to use DBG instead of dark blue, but I may have to go back to the original set color scheme.

Ya know, I do have some problems with differentiating between subtle differences in colors. However, I have no use for the outlines used to show you where the bricks go. If I recall correctly, the individual bags in Tower Bridge weren't even numbered. I don't mind that either. I can appreciate the problems with color differentiation, but some of the complaints elsewhere on the Internet sound as if they want so many clues that Lego might as well ship the item per-assembled. Part of the Lego experience is the sort and figuring out the assembly.

Sure do! I think my eyesight is failing at a rate inversely proportional to the amount of Modulars I'm building....

LOL. But, so true for me too ...

LOL. But, so true for me too ...

At this rate my next Modular will have to be built out of Duplo :laugh:

Okay, so if loss of eyesight is inversely proportional to the number of modulars that you build, the more you build the better your eyesight would be? If loss of eyesight was proportional to the number of modulars you build, then the more you build the worse your eyesight would be. ????????

At this rate my next Modular will have to be built out of Duplo :laugh:

That I would love to see!

Well I can report that I purchased the Town Hall and am half way through building it with no regrets!! It's a great build so far! I just need to figure out where to put it and I have decided to convert my Town Plan Town Hall into a Public Library!!!

And the only colour differential problems I have is between black and dark blue.... They seem very similar even in the paper copies of the instructions.