Sign in to follow this  
ZCerberus

MLCAD Submodel Tutorial

The use of his idea was approved by Mr. Phes.

To see and discuss his Sentry Box, go here. Phes's Imperial Sentry Box

Several users who are just beginning with MLCAD may find it annoying to have to move 100 pieces just because you forgot a brick in the middle of the model, or to try to rotate 100 pieces in the same direction, but fear not, because a solution awaits you! I found that one of the greatest things in MLCAD is submodel or multi-part builds. This little tutorial is to show you how to use that feature!

First things first, what is a submodel? It is a model inside a larger model. Think about when you are working on a LEGO

Thank you so much for taking the time to create this tutorial Mr ZCerebus! *y*

And for everyone else if you want to discuss the MOC used in the example then do it in the Imperial Sentry Box thread.

This thread should ONLY be used for MLCAD Pirate MOC related questions!!!

I can't thank you enough Mr. Z.

This is exacltly what I needed to help me get started!

I can't thank you enough Mr. Z.

This is exacltly what I needed to help me get started!

Now you can use this info on the Stockade file I sent you!

Unfortunately, the Harbor was my second MLCAD creation, so I didn't make as good a use of the submodels on the stockade as on some of my other creations. The stockade only has about 10 submodels, the whole harbor has more, but the Sienna, for example, has 20 submodels by itself while the Arbiter II has 65(!) Submodels!!

Anyhow, happy CAD-ing!

I also made a version of the Phes-Sentry-Box with MLCad.

This is really an excellent way to learn how to work with the program.

Tomorrow I will import the Stockade file which Mr. Z provided me some time ago.

I followed the tutorial and now I can do sub models! So head over to the Imperial Sentry Box thread and checkout the end result.

Just wanted to inform you that the link is incorrect.

Aaaaaaargh the bleedin buzzards! You're right Mr Bonaparte! And its been fixed in my original post and in your reply post. You're on the ball! Its a wonder you're not a Moderator around here :-D

Anyway, are you going to post your version of the Sentry Box?

Aaaaaaargh the bleedin buzzards! You're right Mr Bonaparte! And its been fixed in my original post and in your reply post. You're on the ball! Its a wonder you're not a Moderator around here :-D

Anyway, are you going to post your version of the Sentry Box?

I don't plan to post my version since it is exactly the same as yours :-D

I'm just using this to learn MLCad. Now I'm struggling to extract the building instructions for the Sentry Box (I hope that is possible).

I can already get an image per submodel, but these are not really instructions. I guess I better read the MLCad manual first...

Anyway, it will be for tomorrow. I'm going to bed.

You should post your version, just like Phred posted his version as its interesting to see other's interpretation.

I can already get an image per submodel, but these are not really instructions. I guess I better read the MLCad manual first...

There are "Step" buttons in the MLCAD program. I personally have only used MLCAD to design the models, and haven't really experimented with "instructions"

The button for a step is the little 'S' with the arrow next to it...

Hmm... maybe you SHOULD read the manual instead of listening to me!

There are "Step" buttons in the MLCAD program. I personally have only used MLCAD to design the models, and haven't really experimented with "instructions"

The button for a step is the little 'S' with the arrow next to it...

I will read the manual and listen to you ;-)

Just did a quick experiment during my lunch break with the "steps".

Now I get the instructions the way I want them. So thanks again Mr. Z.

Printed the official manual. I'll read it tonight during my train trip home.

Yes, reading the manual before using the problem is the probably the most important and overlooked step to learning it!

Just did a quick experiment during my lunch break with the "steps". Now I get the instructions the way I want them. So thanks again Mr. Z.

We'll need a tutorial for the steps soon!

Yes, reading the manual before using the problem is the probably the most important and overlooked step to learning it!

We'll need a tutorial for the steps soon!

Here is the direct link to the MLCad Tutorial.

It is only 7 pages and you can learn everything while building a small space MOC.

Explains also the use of submodels (explained a bit different) and how to use the steps for making instructions.

It's interesting to know that the steps can by added at any time. Even when the model is finished.

And you can see the different steps while in "View Mode" (normally you are in "edit mode").

MLCAD Tutorial Page

Now where's that Imperial Sentry box you've been telling us about, Mr Bonaparte? X-D

Here is a small picture of it. But as I mentioned, it is not different than yours.

sentry_box.jpg

Here is a small picture of it. But as I mentioned, it is not different than yours.

Its a work of art! I couldn't have done better if I'd made it myself. :-D

One fast (maybe silly :S) question: you write about MLCAD but I

Thanks for the answer!

This is the page that I used to but here the confusion starts :S! Is LDRAW & MLCAD to different programs? I

This is the page that I used to but here the confusion starts :S! Is LDRAW & MLCAD to different programs? I

Where do we download these "unofficial parts"?

And what about official parts like the Redcoat Imperial Guard flag (as pictured in ZCerberus's signature) which for some reason has been excluded from MLCAD?

Where do we download these "unofficial parts"?

And what about official parts like the Redcoat Imperial Guard flag (as pictured in ZCerberus's signature) which for some reason has been excluded from MLCAD?

Here is the links to the parts library:

Parts Library

Even with the library though, there are still some parts missing...

Red Imperial Flag, Door frane for jail door, rowboats and a few other random pieces I have wanted!

Both these links should probably also be added to the first post of this thread.

Well Since I have edit powers on my own first post... maybe I will!!... or will... haha