Sign in to follow this  
Lazarus

My Lego Train 9v Layout (Part 1 of 3)

Hello All.

A lot of you might have seen a few of my MOCs around the place of the past 6 months and i have had a lot of nice feed back. Due to all this and my really enjoying designing lego at the moment and the huge smile if give my son when he see a box come in the mail. "Daddy Daddy lego is here, i want to play lego". Best get the most of it while he is still young before he just starts thinking about girls. Any ways, lego has ended up being my fillin train hobby till i can buy a bigger house and move back to my N Scale trains and start a new layout i have been thinking of for years. Yes this is not a cheap fill in and noor does it take up little space but the plus to lego is i can make it very modular and i dont need to worry much about wiring so i can have it all packed and staked in boxes to save space.

Onto the layout, this is one of three mayjoy sections on my overall layout. Its not the biggest lego layout around but i am putting the extra effort into detail. This section took my about 3 months to make in LDD and about 4-5 months to order the 5000 parts in this section. Over all the layout is totaling about 25000 bricks. I am trying to make this just like i would make a real train layout, keeping the detail where it should be and trying to have as little flat areas as posbile.

I am deviding the lager sections into 4 base boards what is a 510cm square at a later stage transport case with be made to hold upto about 4 of these sections so i can drive them to shows.

Below is my LDD image of the 1/3 of the layout and below that is what i am upto.

layoutbridgeend.png

Enjoy

Matthew

dscf9396g.jpg

dscf9397u.jpg

dscf9398n.jpg

dscf9399x.jpg

dscf9400.jpg

dscf9401m.jpg

dscf9402o.jpg

dscf9403u.jpg

dscf9404.jpg

dscf9405.jpg

dscf9406r.jpg

dscf9407g.jpg

dscf9408k.jpg

Edited by Lazarus

I love your LEGO camping area! It's neat to see your inclined curves come together in your layout.

It's kind of hard to see for sure in the LEGO Digital Designer image; are you using LEGO road baseplates? Do you have a larger picture available focusing on the level crossing(s)?

Thank you again for sharing!

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA! :classic:

Dave

Ahh you like the level crossing :-), thought some might. You will have to wait and see :-P also they are not a cheap build some pricy parts in there but they are worth it for there look.

Lego road base plates but puting side walks on them, another think that is not cheap. 2x4 light gray tiles i only need like 1500 of them haha.

Edited by Lazarus

The camping ground by the lake is wonderful Matthew. So much activity going on and I love the tents.

The 3D sculpted landscape is an amazing piece of work and I can appreciate just how much work must've gone into it.

With my own layout and having come from a traditional model railway background I said at first that I wasn't going to do it all in Lego and that I'd use the usual model railway scenic techniques instead. So much for that! :laugh: Yesterday I made a start with covering my layout baseboard with baseplates because after a tentative start with being traditional I found I just wanted to do it in bricks.

Last night I ordered 1000 green 1x1 round plates, - something tells me they aren't going to stretch very far :sceptic:

One thing though, after building a layout in Lego will you be able to go back to N gauge? I used to work in finescale 4mm and after I got the taste for '0' and 16mm scale I found that I simply wasn't interested in the smaller gauges anymore. Now that I'm building trains in Lego I can't really be bothered with scratchbuilding in '0' and 16mm either. Lego has a way of clinging on and not letting you go I'm afraid.

Very cool and realistic. :thumbup:

My only suggestion is making the borders underneath the hill a more consistent color like black or brown.

Lego road base plates but puting side walks on them, another think that is not cheap. 2x4 light gray tiles i only need like 1500 of them haha.

2X2 tiles are cheaper.

Still have the road to finish on this and the crossing, and the house and then onto part to. sorry i predict 3-4 months before next part as i think this is the amount of time it will take me to get parts for what i have left to do and save the cash.

Also the backing does not matter at this point as you wont be viewing the layout on these angles if need be later i will do something with them. It more trying to save cash buying the cheapest 2x4 brick around.

Edited by Lazarus

All I can say is: Don't go back to N gauge. The detail on this is fantastic and lively, clearly a lot of design work has gone in. It'll be fantastic once you have a full loop for trains to go round.

But pick a scale, don't split your money on two types as you'll have less of both. You've already proven yourself with Lego, why look back?

Very nice work Lazarus. I like the bridge and all the green scenery. And the minifigs are certainly enjoying it too. :classic:

Good luck for the rest of the project.

Fantastic Mathew, it looks beautiful! I imagine how awesome it would be if you managed to close the loop and put a small train running around :wub:.

...and the huge smile if give my son when he see a box come in the mail.

Come on, your kid smiling when you receive new Lego sets/parts is a given. What about the wife? :tongue:

A nice build so far, would like to see the rest and also with a train. I think the crossings are good if you can make them. With the sidewalks, I have used the CMF bases for mine as they give a mostly smooth surface but also some studs for attaching the mini-figures. Not sure if it would work out any cheaper though as you still need a lot. Also it would be black rather than grey, which is OK for me as where I live most of the pavements are black tarmac. Still very nice so far and I am looking forwards to see the rest of it.

Thanks again guys. for the crossing they also have side walks they are a very british design. Ataching minfigs is easy i just add in some 1x1 plates where needed but dont know where the people and my cars will be going yet. I have a month or two before getting some more parts. this has set me back about $700NZ so need to do some more saving.

But for a treat some pics of the crossing

layoutcrossover1.png

layoutcrossover13.png

layoutcrossover12.png

All of this looks really nice, and it's a great way to build a diorama. But using those skis that way to create the 'X' pattern on the crossings is particularly clever. Nice parts usage!

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the level crossing! I like your solution for dealing with the increased height of the track ballast.

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA! :classic:

Note: Crossing/track ballast/refuling depot/roads/lineside hut has been no put onto brick link

euro bricks changed image types accepted also, i used imageshack for these and not Brickshelf.

But this layout is now been pulled apart and moving onto bigger and larger train layout.