Sign in to follow this  
hrontos

Is there a technic advent calendar somewhere?

I wonder if somebody ever made a technic advent calendar.

I got this idea when we were assembling city advent calendar from 2011 and it was not only 24 mini models, but some of them had to be combined to get some larger models.

From a technic advent calendar I would expect to get 24 submodels of something that will be finally assembled to one complete model. Each day 10 parts to add to larger model. Just like when you get parts as an extra to your favourite hobby magazine and you assemble them whole year. Of course a building guide printed only on calendar windows can be tricky.

I know it's a bit silly, since advent calendars usually contains Christmas related mini models, but StarWars advent calendar does not. This one can contain one larger model related to Christmas or winter (or even unrelated).

It's not that attractive for TFOLs or AFOLs, but for kids between 8 and 10 it can be a good option after two or three years with advent calendars containg allways city minifigs and trees.

Edited by hrontos

I think it would require too much effort on the part of Lego to make 24 Technic models that have few enough pieces to fit in a window and aren't basically the same model two dozen times.

I do not expect 24 tiny technic models. I would expect 24 submodels of a larger model. Like in one window could be one seat or steering assembly or front left axle or V2 engine etc. Complete model can be of course something completely different, not necessarily a car or machine. It can be something like Christmas merry-go-round with figures powered by a pullback motor - just like the real decoration.

I'm currently watching Ashen's Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar review, where he does one box a day leading up to Christmas. From what I can tell, the current format of the Advent calendar boxes has 24 windows of the same size, which can just barely fit a micromodel or one minifigure. I think that either TLG would have to get rather creative with a new box layout and have to create a new, bigger box overall to fit some studless beams into a window.

If you make a digital one, where every day a thumbnail leads to a bigger picture, with a subassembly of a larger model, that would be awesome to follow and build.

I think it's a great idea. (and you have the option to create some bigger models)

Maybe it could be a C-model from a certain set, or a smaller vehicle or something.

Why would it not be attractive to AFOL's? The idea of building something everyday, to assemble it on the last and see what you get gives a nice building experience...

If you make a digital one, where every day a thumbnail leads to a bigger picture, with a subassembly of a larger model, that would be awesome to follow and build.

I think it's a great idea. (and you have the option to create some bigger models)

Maybe it could be a C-model from a certain set, or a smaller vehicle or something.

Why would it not be attractive to AFOL's? The idea of building something everyday, to assemble it on the last and see what you get gives a nice building experience...

I did not expected this being attractive to AFOL's since with a real one it would take 24 days to build a model having only 220-250 parts. But you are right, in digital form there is no model size limitation so it can be fun for anybody. And it is also an interesting challenge for the creator.

I think digital format is the way to go. firstly it would be free, and would probably not require as much effort from TLG to make it. The downside is that you would have to own the pieces to make the model i reality, if soeone doesn't they could always build it in LDD.

As for what they would let you build, why not one of the smaller sets for the upcoming year? would restrict the designers to only use existing pieces to creat the small model though....