Sign in to follow this  
Jesper

HMS Floater

This ship has some serious firepower, but there's not much crew to operate the guns.

The colors are good. Only the front of the ship doesn't feel right.

It's a nice ship, but too bulky... But it's made on a prefab hull, an that proves you don't always need a brick built hull for big ships... 1 or 2 center sections could make it look alot better! And I think this should be in the Pirate forum...

Wouldn't get in the way of its broadside, but aesthetically it could still use some work...

God Bless,

Nathan

The problem of this ship is, the height... If a small ship manages to come very close to the ship it can't be hit by the ship anymore, and then it could easily be boarded...

And I think this should be in the Pirate forum...

I agree. Because we've got so many ships in the Pirate MOC Forum, including those of circa 1800 I think it makes sense move this thread there for consistency sake.

I see what you mean Imperator Viktor Napoleon - it seems like its a bit too high.

But does it look so bad from an aerial view?

aerial.jpg

It looks too tall to me. Like it would tip over really easily.

Steve

The bow is terrible! Ugh!

Stern is nice. colours are nice.

But it really is ughly, the bad proportions ruin it.

Wow!

People are harsh when the MOCer isn't posting here to defend himself.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I've seen such harsh criticism of a MOC. I mean, why is it that when a member posts his or her MOC, nobody rips into them, but when a MOC is randomly pulled from brickshelf people lay it on the bulder as if there is no tomorrow?

I probably should clarify I was agreeing with Imperator Viktor Napoleon that the proportions aren't right (I.e. too tall) but I wouldn't say the MOC was downright ugly.

Blue and White does have a point, I have noticed in the past we tend to be overly critical when the MOC builder isn't present, however I don't think this thread is as bad as some we've had in the past.

It looks too tall to me. Like it would tip over really easily.

Steve

I agree, this individual should have used a brick-built hull or cut their hull pieces in half to provide more width.

This MOC definetely has serious firepower.

Besides the width the rest of the proportions are great. As said already the bow could use a little work. I like how well the rigging is made.

I like the coloring too.

While a brick built hull is something I also prefer, I do appreciate that it requires ALOT of bricks to implement. Very few fans (even AFOLs) have the resources to build a truly large ship. Still, its nice to see somebody make the attempt. For me, this MOC is a solid effort with some nice detailing. Sure, the proportions are a bit off, but its really not that bad. And honestly, how often do you see a MOC with 64 guns?

Ahoy,

The HMS Floater is quite an old vessel (dating back to 2001 - see http://news.lugnet.com/pirates/?n=1887), so I think it's a bit harsh to compare it to later vessels.

I think, for the time, it's very nice. I particularly like the use of masts for yardarms.

It is tall and narrow for it's armament, but unless dramatic steps are taken that is too be expected. Building a 64 is a pretty impressive undertaking (and even more so when it was done in 2001), and I think that the HMS Floater compares favourably aesthetically, to the majority of vessles built nowadays.

Although I think there are a few improvements that could be done quite easily (and some, like building in a lot of inverse slopes, with quite a bit of difficuly), I'd certainly be proud to moor her in Port Brique!

(Edited to correct the URL for the lugnet link)

Ahoy,

The HMS Floater is quite an old vessel (dating back to 2001 - see http://news.lugnet.com/pirates/?n=1887), so I think it's a bit harsh to compare it to later vessels.

I think, for the time, it's very nice. I particularly like the use of masts for yardarms.

It is tall and narrow for it's armament, but unless dramatic steps are taken that is too be expected. Building a 64 is a pretty impressive undertaking (and even more so when it was done in 2001), and I think that the HMS Floater compares favourably aesthetically, to the majority of vessles built nowadays.

Although I think there are a few improvements that could be done quite easily (and some, like building in a lot of inverse slopes, with quite a bit of difficuly), I'd certainly be proud to moor her in Port Brique!

I agree with Legeaux, this is an older ship. I still don't see much that I think is that much better. To get width with sheer in a lego ship is not easy to do. Many are doing better on the width with inverse slopes. SNOT work can make a big difference on the bows. But sheer is still not offen seen. Credit most go to Stephen Rowe's HM 20 gun Frigate Minotaur

as the first lego ship I know of to go for sheer. I still know of very few large ships with sheer.

kurt

Ahoy,

Wow i didn't realize these pics were that old! I agree, this vessel shouldn't be judged too harshly...

...According to the lugnet thread, this ship was also his first big MOC.

I don't know about yous guys, but my first serious MOC was a joke compared to the frigate i'm completing now.

I'm sure Tony can build much better MOCs in the last 6 years (unless he went into the dark ages 8-o )