The capital city of Illyria is a prosperous metropolis, where many a busy merchantman peddles his goods throughout the city by way of the canals, and the Valaryan soldiers enjoy walking the streets in their spare time. And even here there can be found a Kaliphlin trader, ready to barter for almost any kind of good!

8199151793_5394ef8dde.jpg

8199042441_711e354007.jpg

On the bottom floor, the nobleman who owns the house enjoys a cup of wine, while his squire feches him a suitable repast, while on the top floor the lady of the house watches all that goes on down below!

8200243612_8e126834a8.jpg

A Kaliphlinian trader makes his shop here - he has used the Kaliphlin tan but also the Valaryian arches. This is by no means the end of his house, it contiues much farther back. On top is his living space, and below his shop.

8199042675_a6726a8cff.jpg

8199152037_621e52fd4d.jpg

Several more pictures on my Flickr! Feedback is appreciated! :grin:

One of your best builds yet! The interiors are great, I especially like your chest design :thumbup:

The Kaliphlin house is excellent as well but I think the Varlyrio one could use some more color on the sides.

I like the border and bridge too :classic:

Nice job! You have some great elements here like the brick built chest (awesome), bridge,and main house. However I think that the border in this case kind of distracts from actual build.

Thanks! The chest actually started out as a chair... it looks nice open but shut it looks way to tall! :grin:

...However I think that the border in this case kind of distracts from actual build.

Yeah, the border was almost a last miniute addition, I'm not sure it's great, but having seen it without border, I'm pretty sure it's better than nothing and I don't think I could have done much better (almost no bricks left!).

In my (biased, of course) humble opinion, this is (like Z's!) one of those MOCs that looks better in real life, especially the canal which is hard to really see well from those angles. I'm kind of wishing I got a minifigureless photo, but - well, it's too late now, let's put it that way! :laugh:

Great job Kai! I especially like the roof of the white building and the chest inside it.

I have notices that canals are tough to photograph as they sit lower than most everything else.

That roof on that white house reminds me of Classic Castle. I also like how some of the bricks aren't completely pushed down. It almost makes it look like they are buildings of the earlier days of Varlyrio. Wonderful job, and definitely your best build yet.

...I also like how some of the bricks aren't completely pushed down...

Well, that was completely unintentional... but I'm glad you like it! :laugh: I suspect you mean on the white house, I had to pry that off several times for various reasons - it's pretty sturdy so I got it to come off in one piece - most of the time! :tongue:

That roof on that white house reminds me of Classic Castle.

That was pretty much where the inspiration came from... and the fact that I had no way to build anyother kind of sloping roof that would match! :grin:

I have notices that canals are tough to photograph as they sit lower than most everything else.

Yes, that seems to be the problem. Especially with the minifigure (or, more accuratly, half a minifigure) in it, it almost seems like the canal just stops in the middle fromt the front picture!

Wonderful job, and definitely your best build yet.

Great job Kai!

Thanks!

Nice work Kai. Really feels like Valyrio. I like the extra colors you've used on the white house and the roof is also well done!

This is very nice. I think you really nailed the Valyrio look. The canal and bridge are great, as is the Kaliphlin house. So much action going on too! I feel sorry for the poor guy cleaning the canal. God knows what gets thrown in there :sick:

The white house is good, but I think there a few things that could be changed to really make it great. The windows on the side don't really stand out; perhaps they should have different color shutters, lintels, and/or sills to draw the eye. On the other hand, the red bricks on the front draw the eye a bit too much; perhaps dark red would be better? And I would have broken up the inverted slopes under the eaves and between the ground floor and the second floor -- you know, alternate inverted slope with just a regular brick, to give that transition a bit more texture. Not sure if these suggestions will work, but it might be interesting to try them out.

The white house is good, but I think there a few things that could be changed to really make it great. The windows on the side don't really stand out; perhaps they should have different color shutters, lintels, and/or sills to draw the eye. On the other hand, the red bricks on the front draw the eye a bit too much; perhaps dark red would be better?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, really appreciate the time you take to comment! As far as the red, I have to totally agree. Sadly, I don't have any dark red bricks (I mean things like standard 2x4s, 2x2s 2x1s, etc.). Good point about the windows as well, that is something I could have done better on if I had thought about it.

I think you really nailed the Valyrio look.

Really feels like Valyrio.

You have captured the feeling of Valyrio!

Thanks! It really wans't hard at all... I'm not even sure how I did it! :laugh: