Locomotive Annie

MOC: Improved 'F' Class for Kotanga Tramway

Indexed by Moderator

`Back in the mists of time the Kaitangata Coal Co decided they needed a more powerful loco for their private railway near Dunedin in the South Island of New Zealand. They ordered from Sharp Stewart & Co an 'F' class locomotive that was similar to the 'F' class locos owned by the government railways, only with various modifications to make it an 'Improved 'F' Class. Only one of these locos was ever made and it has survived into preservation.

KaitangataF.jpg

As owned and operated by the Kaitangata Coal Co.

sharp_4270_1.jpg

Present condition in preservation.

There were quite a few private railways and tramways in New Zealand making for all manner of interesting branchlines at various sites around the country. My own make believe branchline is the Kotanga Tramway, a timber industry tramway that somehow managed to survive long enough to become of interest to both tourists and railway enthusiasts and thereby obtain a measure of financial security for itself at long last.

So yesterday when I wasn't feeling quite so well and needed something to occupy myself with, I decided that there was a a second Improved 'F' built by Sharp Stewart & Co and amazingly enough it was owned by the Kotanga Tramway.

Starting with a 9v r/c motor block and a 24 stud train baseplate I eventually ended up with a very high percentage of all the bricks I own spread out on my bed as I searched for the right bricks, plates and tiles to build myself something that looked like an Improved 'F'. And by and large I think I have been successful.

KotangaImprovedF2.jpeg

KotangaImprovedF3.jpeg

KotangaImprovedF2-1.jpeg

The main problem is that the loco is two studs too long and needs the boiler and the footplate shortening to bring it properly into proportion. At the same time I need to make a proper buffer beam at the front and sort out a cowcatcher for my Improved 'F' as well. I don't like using a small cone brick for a bell, but I don't know what else to do at the moment. One way to solve it would be to fit up the large air brake tank on the boiler instead and do away with the bell entirely. Overall I do like the loco a lot and I'm happy with how it's turned out since it was built in one go over the course of about three hours.

The Technic side rods will be replaced with a set of Zephyr's siderods once I've got the loco running properly. At the same time I'll sort out the connecting rods to the cylinders, but for the moment they can just sit there and be ornaments.

Once I am sure that I don't need to pull the loco apart again I'll make a set of decals to go on the sidetanks with 'Kotanga' done in the same style as Kaitagata was displayed on the original prototype loco.

Work is still continuing on the 'R' Class single Fairlie btw, I'm just waiting on some more bits and bobs to arrive from Bricklink.

Very nice :laugh: But one question why don't you use lego tracks? :sceptic:

Shhh! mustn't talk about heretic clone railways too loudly in here........ Sluban and some other Chinese trainset makers' track is to L gauge, but they have much wider radius curves which makes for better running and less problems with long wheelbase locos getting around those curves. :innocent2:

Shhh! mustn't talk about heretic clone railways too loudly in here........ Sluban and some other Chinese trainset makers' track is to L gauge, but they have much wider radius curves which makes for better running and less problems with long wheelbase locos getting around those curves. :innocent2:

Owwhhh...that's a shame using clone brands......You should get a fine fot that or a at least you should loose your recently earned Locomotive-badge...haha!!

Personally, i would never use one single piece of Lego-copied material in my layout!

Most of the bricks she is using also are clone, its ok i say for Mocs but i would say if you get a nice design i would spend the cash and try and make it out of lego.

I have been to the clone side before and come back.

Clone is used a lot by me because I don't have much spare cash to spend on my hobby being an invalid, BUT I do order bricks & etc from Bricklink for finalising a project once I'm happy with it as once my locos are complete they will be considered to be permanent and won't be broken down into bricks again.. There is Lego where it counts in this loco, all the Technic bits are genuine and the the motor block is a brand new Lego r/c 9v motor. Once I have the boiler length and other body work details finalised those strange looking red clone bricks will go back into the storage boxes and I'll replace them with something decent by Lego. True enough I do make use of the Enlighten printed smokebox door, but if Lego made this part I'd be using it like a shot.

The track is actually a design originally developed by Oxford and isn't a Lego design at all. I don't see it as being any different to using track made by ME or BBB once it's available.

Money is always the big part in anything, some parts can be very expencive. you should really try and get the Lego Design program i think you would have fun with that.

You can plan a train and price up the bricks before you spend a cent. you wont even need to spend the cash on clones. And if you end up using some rare bricks you can try and swap them out.

i though it would be hard but it is just like building lego.

Edited by Lazarus

Clone is used a lot by me because I don't have much spare cash to spend on my hobby being an invalid, BUT I do order bricks & etc from Bricklink for finalising a project once I'm happy with it as once my locos are complete they will be considered to be permanent and won't be broken down into bricks again.. There is Lego where it counts in this loco, all the Technic bits are genuine and the the motor block is a brand new Lego r/c 9v motor. Once I have the boiler length and other body work details finalised those strange looking red clone bricks will go back into the storage boxes and I'll replace them with something decent by Lego. True enough I do make use of the Enlighten printed smokebox door, but if Lego made this part I'd be using it like a shot.

The track is actually a design originally developed by Oxford and isn't a Lego design at all. I don't see it as being any different to using track made by ME or BBB once it's available.

Hi Annie,

you know what I really like about your approach, all your posts, and the way you are talking about "it"? Honesty. Do it as you see fit - there is hardly any reason to justify what you are doing (well you know that but ...). "We" - that is this community including you and all other members - have some sort of an issue with clone brands. Granted. Hey, "we" have serious issues with TLG as well - just look at the track - hmm - stuff they are offering us right now. BBB, Me is what we are anxiously waiting for - just as one example.

I am not saying that I like the way cloning is happening - seriously not at all. So I don't like the way TLG is hearing us out. But cost, availability, and simply making-stuff-people-may-find-useful is simply another world.

And I am 150% sure that TB is not even considering doing anything to your avatar - which you have truly(!) earned.

Ready to take the heat folks - regards,

Thorsten